Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. (56712 Views)

Nigeria's Naira Reverses Back As World's Worst Performing Currency — Bloomberg / See Why The Nigeria Naira Is Rapidly Depreciating Against The Dollar / Matches: I Am Shocked After Seeing This In Nigeria (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by inedujac: 2:31am On Oct 16, 2017
Dee60:
Complete show of ignorance.

This is how many Nigerians assume they are experts in Economics.

The value of your currency is not measured by the figure it exchanges against other currencies but what it can buy.

300 Naira can buy you a loaf of bread in Nigeria but can 10 Kenyan shillings buy you that same loaf?

When you change that money what can it buy? That is the true value. Your nominal value does not mean much.

Even with 150 naira you can have bread and akara all together. What mater is what you can buy with your so call pound and dollar. Ehh mai sayi give me bread and sayi 80 naira own, no put too much sugar o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by nelsonebby(m): 4:17am On Oct 16, 2017
Zenithpeak:

I wanted to do an online transaction with an online fashion brand abroad. Of course, I always make sure I check the exchange rate before I place an order, to know how much I would be spending in naira.

As usual, after calculating the exchange rate, what I wanted to get was on the high side. I just became humble and cancelled the transaction.

I started thinking if the disparity between dollar and naira is so insane, what will be the exchange rate of the naira to the currencies of other African countries. I picked 25 random African countries and compared their currencies with the naira.

Before I started my findings, I felt only a few African countries could have stronger currencies than the naira but boy I was shocked and ashamed with what I came up with.

Check out the latest exchange rate of the Nigerian naira compared to some random African countries' currencies.

1. South Africa - 1 Rand = 26.28 Naira

2. Ethiopia - 1 Birr = 13.30 Naira

3. Ghana - 1 Cedi = 81.96 Naira

4. Gambia - 1 Dalasi = 7.60 Naira

5. Kenya - 1 Shilling = 3.48 Naira

6. Liberia - 1 Dinar = 3.05 Naira

7. Swaziland - 1 Lilangeni = 26.55 Naira

8. Tunisia - 1 Dinar = 145.90 Naira

9. Zambia - 1 kwacha = 36.7 Naira

10. Angola - 1 kwanza = 2.17 Naira

11. Lesotho - 1 Loti = 26.55 Naira

12. Libya - 1 Dinar = 262.77 Naira

13. Morrocco - 1 Dirham = 38.32 Naira

14. Madagascar - 1 Ariary = 0.12 Naira

15. Mauritius - 1 Rupee = 10.5 Naira

16. Malawi - 1 kwacha = 0.50 Naira

17. Mozambique - 1 Metical = 5.8Naira

18. Namibia - 1 Dollar = 26.55 Naira

19. Seychelles - 1 Rupee = 26.38 Naira

20. Sudan - 1 pound = 53.89 Naira

21. Botswana - 1 Pula = 34.60 Naira

22. Cape Verde - 1 Escudo = 3.82 Naira

23. Algeria - 1 Dinar = 3.18 Naira

24. Egypt - 1 Pound = 20.45 Naira

25. Eritrea - 1 Nakata = 23.52 Naira

The currencies of some worse economies in Africa have better value than the naira.

So the question is - Do you think Nigeria's naira is the weakest currency in Africa and the world at large and what is the way forward to strengthen the naira.

Share your thoughts and comments

https://amp.pulse.ng/lifestyle/money/the-disparity-between-naira-and-other-african-currency-id7448703.html
olodo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by alenwup(m): 4:42am On Oct 16, 2017
Some people's joy is that Nigeria is on the negative side. They wouldn't authenticate the news, they just believe and call Buhari

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by LeanonGOD(m): 4:47am On Oct 16, 2017
Great Analysis.
Freetech:
I think you need to understand dynamics of economy of Nations. Production determined the strength of currency of any country. Nigeria economic production is currently at its lowest ebb because of the problem with crude price. Note, this is our major production.

Any country that find herself in this type of situation must devalue her currency to encourage exportation and discourage importation. Production to meet local need and for export will increase.

In 2007 - 2009 both us and Britain devalue their currency more than 3 time because of recession. Even Ghana you put here had to divide their currency by 1000 to have current value

Finally, this have nothing to do with the quality of life in the country but to encourage production. TURKISH LIRA. IS THE MOST USELESS CURRENCY IN THE WORLD BUT TURKEY HAVE BETTER ECONOMY AND QUALITY OF LIFE THAN ANY OF AFRICAN COUNTRY UP THERE.

The little gain we have in non oil export and rice production wouldn't have Bern NC possible without the ddevaluation.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by LeanonGOD(m): 4:50am On Oct 16, 2017
Naira's Purchasing Power is by far greater than most African countries - believe me.
Zenithpeak:

I wanted to do an online transaction with an online fashion brand abroad. Of course, I always make sure I check the exchange rate before I place an order, to know how much I would be spending in naira.

As usual, after calculating the exchange rate, what I wanted to get was on the high side. I just became humble and cancelled the transaction.

I started thinking if the disparity between dollar and naira is so insane, what will be the exchange rate of the naira to the currencies of other African countries. I picked 25 random African countries and compared their currencies with the naira.

Before I started my findings, I felt only a few African countries could have stronger currencies than the naira but boy I was shocked and ashamed with what I came up with.

Check out the latest exchange rate of the Nigerian naira compared to some random African countries' currencies.

The currencies of some worse economies in Africa have better value than the naira.

So the question is - Do you think Nigeria's naira is the weakest currency in Africa and the world at large and what is the way forward to strengthen the naira.

https://amp.pulse.ng/lifestyle/money/the-disparity-between-naira-and-other-african-currency-id7448703.html
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by seniwellsFX: 4:54am On Oct 16, 2017
Dee60:

The value of your currency is not measured by the figure it exchanges against other currencies but what it can buy.

300 Naira can buy you a loaf of bread in Nigeria but can 10 Kenyan shillings buy you that same loaf?

When you change that money what can it buy? That is the true value. Your nominal value does not mean much.

sorry,but u are using the purchasing power parity metric in a complete reverse manner to support your argument. The value of any currency is determined by what it can get u both in the local and international market using the inflation adjusted rate. The real question should be. What can our #300 naira get us in countries like Kenya as stated by u and other African countries stated by the op? That is how true values of currencies as well as economies should be scaled. Your analogy is like asking what can $1 get u in the US, when it should be what can $1 get u outside the US. The value of goods and services ur currency gets u outside ur country represents the true value and strength of both ur economy and currency. Some other person's mentioned the devaluation and weakness of the naira to spur growth,increase production and boost exports, and I laugh at their sense of reasoning seriously. I doubt if such persons are truly Nigerians. If they are then their physical bodies may be in naija,but their minds and senses must be in space, No offense pls. How does a nation that has extremely low export capabilities enjoy the benefits of the supposed weak and devalued currency? Pls we should be intellectual and serious with our analysis and suggestions most times. The fact is if we continue with our present way of living and governance(crave for foreign goods)we will continue to fall socially and economically in all aspects of of national lives.

3 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by lordizak(m): 5:04am On Oct 16, 2017
����
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by sfinkzslot(m): 5:06am On Oct 16, 2017
sfinkzslot:
dollar is the bases of exchange, therefore if a country doesn't import much & the citizens are less concern about foreign luxury goods, their currency will have value dollar wise which may not necessarily give a true picture of their social economic sphere. Most of the listed counties imports are considerably far less compared with Nigeria where we spend more on imports
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by seniwellsFX: 5:09am On Oct 16, 2017
Cladez:
Its not all about the exchange rate but the standard of living.........No doubt they have more value than the naira but we are better off than most of those countries when it comes to living well.
lolzzzz... another funny analogy. You think because we struggle to buy designer clothing's,live like we are Americans and form swag makes us live better than them. Pls go to google and check the GDP per capita,misery index and life expectancy between Naija and those other African countries mentioned. Then u can know for yourself if truly we live better than they do. No dey use music videos and other things way we dey see for TV to judge ohh...

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by seniwellsFX: 5:20am On Oct 16, 2017
groovie:
Don't be misled by the rates. What you can do is convert 50,000 naira to any of those currencies then convert what you get to dollars. Then convert 50,000 naira directly to dollars, then compare and see.
Although the Nigerian economy is being mismanaged, the naira is still stronger than most of those currencies. That's why imf is crying for Nigeria to devalue the currency
Omo...this ur currency exchange mechanism no be here ooo... abeg no try do business with this ur style ooo..or else Na serious problem u go put urself oo.. lolzzzz... Only currency spreads and commissions fit chop 2 to 3% of the monetary acquired equity after this round trip exchange rate operations

2 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by adegeye38(m): 5:35am On Oct 16, 2017
Zenithpeak:

money value has absolutely nothing to do with d economy, cos. inflation rate defers
The true value of a currency
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by no1madman(m): 6:43am On Oct 16, 2017
Bahahaha!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Jsucre(m): 6:44am On Oct 16, 2017
[quote author=Freetech post=61434321]I think you need to understand dynamics of economy of Nations. Production determined the strength of currency of any country. Nigeria economic production is currently at its lowest ebb because of the problem with crude price. Note, this is our major production.

Any country that find herself in this type of situation must devalue her currency to encourage exportation and discourage importation. Production to meet local need and for export will increase.

In 2007 - 2009 both us and Britain devalue their currency more than 3 time because of recession. Even Ghana you put here had to divide their currency by 1000 to have current value

Finally, this have nothing to do with the quality of life in the country but to encourage production. TURKISH LIRA. IS THE MOST USELESS CURRENCY IN THE WORLD BUT TURKEY HAVE BETTER ECONOMY AND QUALITY OF LIFE THAN ANY OF AFRICAN COUNTRY UP THERE.

The little gain we have in non oil export and rice production.
thanks 4 enlighten dem
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by groovie(m): 7:20am On Oct 16, 2017
seniwellsFX:
Omo...this ur currency exchange mechanism no be here ooo... abeg no try do business with this ur style ooo..or else Na serious problem u go put urself oo.. lolzzzz... Only currency spreads and commissions fit chop 2 to 3% of the monetary acquired equity after this round trip exchange rate operations
If you understood my post, you wouldn't have said this. No need to conclude that i want to do business when that is not even the topic
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Ucheparker(m): 7:33am On Oct 16, 2017
Dee60:

Don't mind this unlearned OP. Has never been to any of those countries or he won't write this rubbish of a post. And people are already being deceived and talking down on Nigerian economy. With what is written I. The article ₦82 can buy the equivalent of a ₦100 recharge card in Ghana because they sell recharge card at 1cedi. To cut your hair in Ghana you would need to spend 6 cedis which the equivalent of ₦492 and this is exactly what they use to cut your hair in the village!. A lot of people have written about currency devaluation but few Nigerians understand what that means but in essence if you devalue your currency you can just reassign value of one note to a lesser note! In simple terms 1 Ghana cedis should buy exactly what ₦100 should buy but the naira is ahead of the cedis by ₦18!
And this is just for cedis, I'll bet that all of the countries on that list also devalued their currency too. So their 1 whatever their currency is should also buy what ₦100 should buy except south African rand on that list.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 16, 2017
Op the Eritrean currency is known as the NAKFA and not Nakata,as you called it. Nakata is the name of some Japanese. Take note.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by centboy123456(m): 7:46am On Oct 16, 2017
Werehkpe:

Some of these countries including Ghana have devalued their currencies. If we do same d Naira will compare better than it is right now

devalued our countries as in how pls explain for me
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 16, 2017
Naptu2 please come and explain this for us.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Carter4luv(m): 8:08am On Oct 16, 2017
The only way to better her currency
1. Buy made in Nigeria before buying made in China, USA, London use

2. Invest in technology (start producing what will attract other countries to come to us for exportation.

3. Agriculture (food) is one thing the world cannot do without. If Nigeria will venture and invest more money on agriculture an average Nigerian will never go broke again. And Nigeria will be number one exporters of food to other countries.

4.education. Nigeria should redefined our educational system from primary to university, instead of we Nigerians going to other countries to school like Ghana, south Africa, Europe, America, and Asia. All of this people will also come to school here too cux we av the best to offer.
Still on education. The Nigeria engineers out of 100% only 10% are creative, and wen trying there best to be productive nobody cares for them.
Hospital we have good hospitals in the country but we lack equipment for treatment, most of dis countries our politicians travel to for treatment d doctors there are not God its same brain God gave to them he gave to us. We should put our brains into work den we can achieve greater things.

5. Tourism ( an area of attraction) most Nigerians travel round the world for sight view, but yet in our country wat we view his war and corruption. If we Nigerians the individual who are wealthy and the government put hands together to develop her nation this country will be the best.

6.sports. Sports is one thing people will never get tired of. Let the rich come out to have a share or buy a Nigeria club, build good stadium like south Africa did and invite (sign) foreign and other Africa players to sign and play in enyinba fc, kano pillars etc with all dis Nigeria will not spend time travelling to London or Spain to watch matches but will put more effort to support her national premier League.

We can make this country great again if we are united.
Our naira we be $1 = #1 if we value wat we have within us.
My name is carter4luv and I love my country Nigeria
#longliveNaija
#naija4life

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by luzhioo(m): 8:13am On Oct 16, 2017
Dee60:

300 Naira can buy you a loaf of bread in Nigeria but can 10 Kenyan shillings buy you that same loaf?ur calculation is wrong sir

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by CocoaOla: 8:27am On Oct 16, 2017
Akachukwu42:

Are u really saying dis..Wich of the African country u don visit
Oga I'm not in Nigeria
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Dollabiz: 8:32am On Oct 16, 2017
Really
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 16, 2017
Freetech:
I think you need to understand dynamics of economy of Nations. Production determined the strength of currency of any country. Nigeria economic production is currently at its lowest ebb because of the problem with crude price. Note, this is our major production.

The little gain we have in non oil export and rice production wouldn't have Bern NC possible without the ddevaluation.

Many African countries like Angola still depend on crude oil sales to make money and yet their currency is stronger than the naira.

Fall in price of crude oil does not lead to a recession

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by jidoex66(m): 8:47am On Oct 16, 2017
Freetech:

Any country that find herself in this type of situation must devalue her currency to encourage exportation and discourage importation. Production to meet local need
and for export will increase.

Turkish lira useless? Sorry can you explain that. Its 3.5TRY to 1USD
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by valinno(m): 8:53am On Oct 16, 2017
buhari is a definition of failure.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by GhanaMustGoo: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2017
To strengthen the naira[i][/i] simply change the currency Simply print the current 1000 naira as one naira
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by leathalbeast: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2017
richard870:
Lolz, I know a lot cuz that's where I live. Next time do proper research before composing misleading articles such as this. OK, bye!
then I'm even more disappointed in you because you really know nothing at all even though you live here.
I'm beginning to wonder if you live in a hole over here!
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Just30: 9:39am On Oct 16, 2017
Ucheparker:

Don't mind this unlearned OP. Has never been to any of those countries or he won't write this rubbish of a post. And people are already being deceived and talking down on Nigerian economy. With what is written I. The article ₦82 can buy the equivalent of a ₦100 recharge card in Ghana because they sell recharge card at 1cedi. To cut your hair in Ghana you would need to spend 6 cedis which the equivalent of ₦492 and this is exactly what they use to cut your hair in the village!. A lot of people have written about currency devaluation but few Nigerians understand what that means but in essence if you devalue your currency you can just reassign value of one note to a lesser note! In simple terms 1 Ghana cedis should buy exactly what ₦100 should buy but the naira is ahead of the cedis by ₦18!
And this is just for cedis, I'll bet that all of the countries on that list also devalued their currency too. So their 1 whatever their currency is should also buy what ₦100 should buy except south African rand on that list.
I guess the naira has more value than the dollar cos cutting your hair cost less in Nigeria than in the US and UK.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Just30: 9:47am On Oct 16, 2017
richard870:
That's not always a determining factor.... other key economy indices could influence a country's currency either positively or negatively. Wetin ghana dey produce?
like taxation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by leathalbeast: 10:04am On Oct 16, 2017
Just30:
like taxation
don't mind him, he thinks Nigerians would survive the taxes we pay here. like they will quickly overthrow their government in an uprising and a civil war will ensue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Just30: 10:10am On Oct 16, 2017
leathalbeast:
don't mind him, he thinks Nigerians would survive the taxes we pay here. like they will quickly overthrow their government in an uprising and a civil war will ensue.
I don't know why their shallow level of thinking surprise me all the time
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by leathalbeast: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2017
Just30:
I don't know why their shallow level of thinking surprise me all the time
maybe it's because we keep having the hope that they will wise up but it's not getting any better. their brains may never be decoded and it's such a pity.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos From Aliko Dangote's 60th Birthday Celebration / CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts / Implications Of Not Meeting The Deadline For Bvn Registration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.