Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering (17541 Views)

Guys Between Biochemistry And Industrial Chemistry Which One Is Better / What Is The Hope Of An Industrial Chemistry Graduate in Nigeria / What Are The Subject Combination For Pure And Industrial Chemistry In Jamb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by DTruthman: 10:24am On Oct 16, 2017
Danjuma827:
Both are not the same. A chemical engineer is a professional who designs the machines used and ensures that there is 'safety' in the processes involved. He is like a mechanical engineer who has sound knowlege in chemistry. An ind. Chemist knows better the best way to combine chemicals to produce marketable products. A chemical engineer can work in any firm where an industrial chemist can work, but an industrial chemist might not be able to work in some firms where a chemical engineer is needed.

your head correct
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by giles14(m): 10:24am On Oct 16, 2017
benzion72:

If you design and don't fabricate and produce to check degree of errors how do you proof the veracity of your design.

That is the flaw in our education you design as undergraduate, you design at post graduate and support your design with ordinary theorem and calculations without the practice and collect all certificate and brag as an engineer.

No wonder we import almost all machines and when they are faulty we cannot repair because we are design and theoretical engineers.

its same with an architect and a building engineer.

its not a flaw but the way they are boh design to work

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by LordeCalifornia: 10:42am On Oct 16, 2017
Lilimax:
I am an industrial Chemist. In my office we do the same work with Chemical Engineers but our
overall boss in my department is a Chemical Engineer undecided
Again an Industrial Chemist may not be able to design but a Chemical Engineer can do that...

Summarily; in this firm, what's your job description as a chemical engineer?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by billyG(m): 10:49am On Oct 16, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

My design project in my final year involved a chemical plant with most of what you listed and I designed them; a plant with heat exchangers, mixers, separation towers and lots more. You are mistaken a chemical engineer with a technologist. I don't have to necessarily fabricate my designs like a technologist would but while at school, I fabricated some of the components of the plant I designed (specifically the heat exchanger). I also fabricated a biogas digester after doing the design.
That is a good 1,seems we need more technologist that engr in naija,i dnt know why a micro crude oil refinery is still a rocket science in naija?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by MaziOmenuko: 11:01am On Oct 16, 2017
billyG:

That is a good 1,seems we need more technologist that engr in naija,i dnt know why a micro crude oil refinery is still a rocket science in naija?

It's not rocket science, designing one is not an issue, final year students of chemical engr, mechanical engr and elect engr can do the design of the relative components.

The issue here is the economics of the process which is one very important thing chemical engr put into consideration while designing. During fabrication u will need heavy metals; steel, copper, aluminium for the various parts, we have no metal companies here so u will have to import. Running the refinery requires 24hr steady power as a refinery is a continuous process reactor and not a batch process reactor. So you have to fit in a power plant close to it to generate the power needs.

Put those and other logistics issues into perspective you will realise why an investor will think twice before funding a project as big as a refinery here in the country.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by gabrielniy(m): 11:03am On Oct 16, 2017
madgoat:

Hahahahahahahahah the OP is already noticing the fact that he wont get job easily with his industrial chemistry certificate unlike if he had read chemical engineering and thus he is coming to nairaland to try and console himself that industrial chemistry is the same as chemical engineering grin grin

Industrial chemistry proffers more opportunities than chemical engineering in terms of employment. As long as production/manufacturing is involved, an industrial chemist is needed. The good part is that an industrial chemist can study chemical engineering as a postgraduate program, but a chemical engineer is restricted when it comes to opportunities in industrial chemistry.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Koses(m): 12:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
Just Like asking the difference between a Medical Doctor and a Medical Engineer.

Industrial Chemistry is a branch of Chemistry which deals with physico-chemical processes that involves transformation of raw materials (Organic and Inorganic Chemicals as the case may be) into a finished product for direct and indirect human benefits.

Chemical Engineering is a branch of engineering that are more involved in a large scale chemical processing, they combined the first hand application of the basis of industrial Chemistry and design a means of production, transformation, transportation and proper application of materials and energy.

While Industrial Chemist can function at all level of manufacturing stage, the Chemical Engineers are more suited to a large scale production. At a Large scale level, there is no one without another.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by benzion72(m): 1:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
giles14:
its same with an architect and a building engineer.

its not a flaw but the way they are boh design to work

Students should be supported to build prototype based on their design to test its workerability
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Tecno66: 4:19pm On Oct 16, 2017
Spot on.
mcstan01:
Brb... Let me research like you should have done.

Edited

Industrial Chemistry is the branch of chemistry which applies physical and chemical processes towards the transformation of raw materials into products that are of benefit to humanity. While Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies physical sciences (physics and chemistry), life sciences (microbiology and biochemistry), together with applied mathematics and economics to produce, transform, transport, and properly use chemicals, materials and energy.

What’s the difference between an Industrial Chemist and a Chemical Engineer?

Industrial chemists and chemical engineers work closely together. The industrial chemist is a scientist and is more concerned about the actual chemicals and synthesis while the chemical engineer has a broader role that looks at the processes around manufacturing. While an industrial chemist will look at the science behind transferring small scale chemical reactions to large industrial scale, the chemical engineer will be concerned with the whole process of getting it done in the safest, most economical way possible.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Lilimax(f): 4:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
giles14:
u can't design ?
as an applied chemist, some of my 300 & 400l has to do with machine designs but not fabrication.

as a chemist we can design but not fabricate
Design of Experiment YES!
Machine fabrication NO!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by billyG(m): 7:55pm On Oct 16, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

It's not rocket science, designing one is not an issue, final year students of chemical engr, mechanical engr and elect engr can do the design of the relative components.

The issue here is the economics of the process which is one very important thing chemical engr put into consideration while designing. During fabrication u will need heavy metals; steel, copper, aluminium for the various parts, we have no metal companies here so u will have to import. Running the refinery requires 24hr steady power as a refinery is a continuous process reactor and not a batch process reactor. So you have to fit in a power plant close to it to generate the power needs.

Put those and other logistics issues into perspective you will realise why an investor will think twice before funding a project as big as a refinery here in the country.
y shld power b an issue cnt it bye product flash gas power a mini gas turbine generator?nothing is a waste in crude oil u know.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by madgoat(m): 9:19pm On Oct 16, 2017
gabrielniy:

Industrial chemistry proffers more opportunities than chemical engineering in terms of employment. As long as production/manufacturing is involved, an industrial chemist is needed. The good part is that an industrial chemist can study chemical engineering as a postgraduate program, but a chemical engineer is restricted when it comes to opportunities in industrial chemistry.

Story undecided where them wan see job. Last last them go dey for classroom dey teach chemistry
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by kennyjam: 10:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
zionmade1:

Go and register free on slideshare.net. Though its only about 40% of their textbooks is downloadable online, during my days we had a CD containing all their textbook though i cant lay my hands on it now

I will sir! thanks for sharing
Re: What Is The Difference Between Industrial Chemistry & Chemical Engineering by Joe08143(m): 12:03pm On Mar 22, 2022
Danjuma827:
Both are not the same. A chemical engineer is a professional who designs the machines used and ensures that there is 'safety' in the processes involved. He is like a mechanical engineer who has sound knowlege in chemistry. An ind. Chemist knows better the best way to combine chemicals to produce marketable products. A chemical engineer can work in any firm where an industrial chemist can work, but an industrial chemist might not be able to work in some firms where a chemical engineer is needed.
Please what of pure and applied chemistry?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LAUTECH Calls Off 8 Months Strike, Resumes On The 27th Of January / 'Miracle Centres': WAEC Bans 35 Schools For Exam Malpractices In Rivers State / FUTA Crisis: Police Assault SUG Officials (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.