Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:19 AM

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist (22883 Views)

1st Birthday Of Nathaniel, Faith And Prince Godswill Edward Celebrate Son / Obasanjo & Goodluck Jonathan At 85th Birthday Of Gabriel Igbinedion Thanksgiving / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
sukkot:
well he did mention the igbo as well as the benin connection. he was embracing all the places that molded him. but olaudah is benin name. if his name was tochukwu then i for say he is igbo

Provide the Bini meaning of Olaudah

Olachi/Olachukwu (God’s pearl/jewel)
Olaedo/ Onaedo (Gold/ Precious)
Olanma (Beautiful pearl)

Olaudah (sonorous pearl)
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by sukkot: 5:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Provide the Bini meaning of Olaudah

Olanma (Beautiful pearl)

Olaudah (sonorous pearl)
i already did. scroll up
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by TheKingdom: 5:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
Happy pstxxx Birthday Olaudah our Maazi for representing then for our people.

Too bad your land today is overrun by Gatekeeper Warrant chiefs like Okorohausa and at the center by the puppet Buhari.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Leez(m): 5:29pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:
cc sukkot Leez
by dia statement we shall know dem grin grin dia in pains rite now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ken2baba(m): 5:53pm On Oct 16, 2017
sukkot:
igbo name is chukwu, chukwudi, tochukwu, obinna etc etc. no igbo name in the history of this life has ola in it. make slap fall on that ya mouth that you use to talk this kind lie
U no even get bad mouth,

I no get ur type time, Am too busy for this.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by twilliamx(m): 5:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
BudeYahooCom:
Great Igbo man from Iseke, a community in Ihiala local government of Biafra.

It is qua iboe not igbo. U guys are land locked remember!
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ken2baba(m): 6:06pm On Oct 16, 2017
aribisala0:
Answer the first question na.

Or that was the first and last Olaudah in Ibo history?
when I see an Igbo name I know one.

In d olden days dey answer different names that are no longer used these days. Ola and Udah are two words dat has meaning in Igbo language and the combination is clearly an Igbo name. If you say he is Edo, then tell me d meaning In Benin or Ishan language.

No Edo man can come out and claim that name, only Yoruba man like you would want to argue this till your last breath.

I don't have time for all these your tribal superiority, I can't come and be teaching you Yoruba name like you guys always try to know it all probably bcuz uv heard of a few Igbo names or understand a little Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by obipemma: 6:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
ivolt:

Stop twisting history.
Olaudah was a Benin man from etsako area.
Didn't you see where they wrote he is eboe.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 16, 2017
obipemma:
Didn't you see where they wrote he is eboe.
ivolt has perception problems grin grin
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Ngozi123(f): 6:51pm On Oct 16, 2017
sukkot:
mayne stop lying. no igbo name has ola in it. ola is yoruba or benin

Can you speak or understand Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 16, 2017
ivolt:

Stop twisting history. Olaudah was a Benin man from etsako area.

gringringrin.

Bros slow down abeg... He's an Eboe man, Re-read the thread and Do the math.

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
Nigerians are actually one of the bravest people in Africa.

He was born in the 1700s, Nigeria was created in 1900s.
Do the math.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 16, 2017
RaptorX:
How did millions of people get captured and transported away on ships for over 300 years if Africans have not participated actively in the slave trade. When is Africa going to acknowledge it's role in selling it's own people into slavery and apologize to the descendants of the trade living in the Americas and the Caribbean.

Slavery was done worldwide.
It wasn't a white mans thing.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:
Abeg we don argue this thing tire for the other two threads, even articles from Google Search recognize his origin is a matter of controversy whether na Eboe(Igbo) or Eboe (Edo) or Etsako(Essaka) or Isseke in Anambra. Bottom line be say he tried his best to abolish slave trade in Britain.

The bottom line is that he's an Igbo man.
He never hid that throughout his life. Pls read his book n confirm where he hails from.

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by codemaniacs: 6:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
kk
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ezeagu(m): 7:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
Na wa oh, people trying to claim a man who clearly wrote that he is Igbo, with even Igbo writing in his book. Na wah for una.

3 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ezeagu(m): 7:36pm On Oct 16, 2017
bakynes:
Abeg we don argue this thing tire for the other two threads, even articles from Google Search recognize his origin is a matter of controversy whether na Eboe(Igbo) or Eboe (Edo) or Etsako(Essaka) or Isseke in Anambra. Bottom line be say he tried his best to abolish slave trade in Britain.

The controversy is whether he was born in Igboland or in the Carolinas in America, not whether if he was Etsako or whatever, there is no credible scholar that has ever said Olaudah Equiano was an Edo or Etsako.

4 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
ivolt:

Stop twisting history.
Olaudah was a Benin man from etsako area.

I was lucky to be one of the award recipients of Olauda Equiano foundation, and u know where it took place? Iseke!!

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by ZaraGift: 7:47pm On Oct 16, 2017
sukkot:
why yall claiming this man mayne ? he was a well known benin man who happen to speak a bit of igbo. but he is benin. its all over the history books angry wink

Binin was a bigger Kingdom, if he was from Benin Kingdom he would not make a mistake, he would have identified himself as a Benin
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2017
Manaria15:

I was lucky to be one of the award recipients of Olauda Equiano foundation, and u know where it took place? Iseke!!
Please post more about this award ceremony
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by CioAngels(f): 8:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Olaudah Equiano was always proud of his Igbo heritage and never claimed that he was a Benin man so what are you talking about here?
HE WAS A NIGERIAN.
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by aribisala0(m): 8:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
ken2baba:
when I see an Igbo name I know one.

In d olden days dey answer different names that are no longer used these days. Ola and Udah are two words dat has meaning in Igbo language and the combination is clearly an Igbo name. If you say he is Edo, then tell me d meaning In Benin or Ishan language.

No Edo man can come out and claim that name, only Yoruba man like you would want to argue this till your last breath.

I don't have time for all these your tribal superiority, I can't come and be teaching you Yoruba name like you guys always try to know it all probably bcuz uv heard of a few Igbo names or understand a little Igbo.

Somes Eboe names have expired ? Okay
Ola and uda have meaning in Yoruba too? Could he be Yoruba? No we don't claim people.

So you can have him since you don't really have any history let us leave this for you

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 16, 2017
aribisala0:

Somes Eboe names have expired ? Okay
Mgbeke was a name given to girls born on Eke day.
Nowadays, Mgbeke has become like an insult and no one answers it as a name.

4 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by aribisala0(m): 8:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Mgbeke was a name given to girls born on Eke day.
Nowadays, Mgbeke has become like an insult and no one answers it as a name.
What of Ola is that an insult too? That you cannot point to one Eboe man called Ola.

By the way Ola means wealth or riches in Yoruba

3 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Ngozi123(f): 8:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
CioAngels:
HE WAS A NIGERIAN.

He died before the term “Nigeria” was coined so how could he be a Nigerian?

3 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
aribisala0:

What of Ola is that an insult too? That you cannot point to one Eboe man called Ola.

By the way Ola means wealth or riches in Yoruba
Yoruba will say ọ́lá
Igbo will say ọ̀là
Notice the stresses on the vowels.

Other Igbo names that begin with ọ̀là
Olanma (Beautiful pearl)

Olaudah (sonorous pearl)

3 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by sukkot: 8:20pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

Very true my dear. On previous threads, i tried hard to silence the benin lie. Its good to shoot it down early.

Had equiano not spoken igbo language and narrated igbo culture in his book. We would be in trouble today arguing his tribe. The benin scholars never claimed him. It is the yolobats, unable to find an educated yoloba slave before equiano, that manufactured and propagate the benin lies.

Thank God he narrated his culture which clearly is igbo. Else, we would be arguing endlessly with envious and vicious yolobat.
you are right, we cant find a yoruba slave because yoruba are masters. we are not slaves lmaoooo grin
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 16, 2017
sukkot:
you are right, we cant find a yoruba slave because yoruba are masters. we are not slaves lmaoooo grin
LMAO
but many Yoruba speakers were enslaved in Brazil na grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by aribisala0(m): 8:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
ezeagu:

The controversy is whether he was born in Igboland or in the Carolinas in America, not whether if he was Etsako or whatever, there is no credible scholar that has ever said Olaudah Equiano was an Edo or Etsako.
There is no scholarship on him period so save us the hyperbole.
It is really embarrassing to observe you folk in your desperation.

The truth is that a fully grown man wrote a book about his obscure origins and no one will ever know what the truth is.
What I do not believe is how anyone who is 11 years old brought up in a tribal setting as was precolonial Nigeria would forget his language.
People were not literate but they learnt their lineages, and other tribal stories . I am not Igbo but I read Achebe's Things Fall Apart decades ago and still remember many of the proverbs and sayings.
Any such kid would know his lineage and the founder of his clan at the age of 11 in precolonial Igbo land and most of southern Nigeria. Certainly he would remember the names of his father and mother?

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by sukkot: 8:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

LMAO
but many Yoruba speakers were enslaved in Brazil na grin grin grin
is what they say. however those people were there before slavery. they are part of the landmass gondwanaland before it split. when it split the brazil part split from yoruba land. if you fit the south american tectonic plate with african it fits perfectly. point being those yorubas in brazil were not slaves but are just yorubas who were part of the land mass split and took the culture with them along to the other side after the split. you cant enslave a yoruba man . we are warriors. wink
Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
sukkot:
is what they say. however those people were there before slavery. they are part of the landmass gondwanaland before it split. when it split the brazil part split from yoruba land. if you fit the south american tectonic plate with african it fits perfectly. point being those yorubas in brazil were not slaves but are just yorubas who were part of the land mass split and took the culture with them along to the other side after the split. you cant enslave a yoruba man . we are warriors. wink
Bros
Even Alaafin of Oyo goes to Brazil to celebrate some Ifa/Orisha festivals

1 Like

Re: Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist by sukkot: 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Can you speak or understand Igbo?
kedu kodi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

APC Primaries Is Today, Which Of Our Entertainers Will Scale Through? / Buhari Can Never Be My President / Attempt To Defend Buhari’s Comments On Nigerian Youths Imbecilic — Lawyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.