Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,410 members, 7,815,911 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo (6331 Views)

'The Candidates': Atiku Asked To Define 'Corruption' / Obasanjo: Atiku Associating Himself With Failures- Balarabe Musa / VP Osinbajo Arrives Osogbo Amid Tight Security Presence (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by presidency: 3:45pm On Oct 16, 2017
Office Of The Vice President Press Release

***Our future is not determined by history or the past unless we allow it. The history of Africa does not determine its future. The days you live here are much greater and better than the past.

Remarks By His Excellency Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, GCON, Vice President of The Federal Republic of Nigeria, to the 2017 Class of the Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Forum 2017 At Law School, Victoria Island Lagos, on Saturday October 14, 2017.

Protocol

First, let me say to the 2017 cohorts of the Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship programme, that it is a very special pleasure to meet you guys. By all predictions, you will be the wealthiest and most successful people in a few short years. I would like to ask that you don’t forget me when the good time comes!

But seriously, I have always known that this group of individuals, this generation of young people will do the exceptional.

Earlier this week, I spoke at the Financial Times Africa Summit, on the theme ‘What Makes Africa Work’. Here in this room are seated the answers to that question. Indeed, you are right here with us – a thousand reasons why Africa will work.

Across Agriculture, ICT, Hospitality, Fashion, Energy, Manufacturing, Entertainment, and many other fields, the breadth and depth of talent and innovation on display in the current and previous Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship cohorts have shown there is indeed hope.

In the 2016 set, we have Osakwe Chukwunonso who is building vehicles that will run on clean energy; Soji Megbowon is creating educational products that will simplify STEM subjects; Sierra Leonean Edmond Nonie from the 2015 set built a tracking tool that proved useful following the devastating flood that hit his country, Sierra Leone; Frank Mugarura of Rwanda is the proprietor of a branding and marketing agency that is set to conquer the continent.

These are merely a handful of the inspiring stories that have preceded you, and we know now that indeed Africa is set for incredible progress in the next few years.

When I considered what to talk to you about I realised that you would have learnt practically all you need to know for now about entrepreneurship. But I thought I should share with you some of my thoughts on a subject that has always fascinated me; the subject of history, especially the tyranny of history. And so I chose the theme – the tyranny of history or the tyranny of the past.

History defined is simply the past, the past of individuals like you and I and the past of nations and people. The power of history is to present the past, sometimes so compellingly in the present. History in its best form is known especially as time, where time is a healer. But perhaps the tyranny of history, the way that history seems to want to control us and control the present, it always seems to be the most interesting and at the same time most challenging.

Our history can tie us down, compelling us to look backwards until sometimes we trip. It compels us to look at the present with fear and apprehension. Our history, our past, especially past failures, individually or collectively, can become a barrier for achievements or freedom.
Our political history in Africa would appear dominated by wars, famine, coups d’etat, corrupt governments, dictators and failed or failing states. Our economic history would also largely be of large scale poverty, infant mortality, maternal mortality, mortality in literacy, disease and misery.
So our history may seek to define our future in Africa, especially our expectations of the coming years. History of this bleak sort, has a way of subduing our faith and conscripting our vision for our nation and our society and indeed for ourselves.

In the same way, a history of personal failure can cripple our hope and limit our vision, it can frighten us to having a small perspective of life. Our family history, the misery and degradations of our beginnings, the shame sometimes and the disgrace of the past, the spectacular failures of the past are the tyrannical weapons of history.

These weapons whip us in line when we are thinking big, cutting us down to size as our self-esteem rises. Our past sometimes is always yelling at us: “unworthy, unworthy, unworthy” as we struggle to do right, live right and to live with dignity.

But history, we must remember, is not merely a record of the past, but it is the past. It is gone! Our future is not determined by history or the past unless we allow it. The history of Africa does not determine its future. The days you live here are much greater and better than the past.

Thirty years ago, mobile phones didn’t exist. To speak to people in another country, you would queue up for hours for a public telephone waiting for your turn, if it ever came. Today, we can’t imagine life without our smartphones, and Facetime, and Skype. Today we can collaborate across continents in seconds from anywhere in the world.

Researches that took us months, (and I can tell you because I am a professor - I spent many years researching), are only a Google search away within seconds. Education that required us to leave towns and villages to schools far away and abroad, are now available online. So when you leave here, you can continue whatever conversation you were having on WhatsApp, Instagram or iMessage or whatever other form there is without a break.

We are today nearer defeating hunger and famine than ever before in human history. We will improve seedlings and inputs and new farming practices. Farmers can produce multiples of what they produced years ago.
We are closer than ever before in discovering cures to practically any disease. We can be more diligent in Africa, diligent in immunization, eradicate most of the issues of infant mortality.

Already, we are living longer and more healthily than any time in human history. All the IQ tests, when you look at progression over the years, show that the current generation are smarter than the past. So you guys are smarter than us!

As President Obama said, “we must always be suspicious of those who are always talking about the good old days”. Today the great days have come.
As for our personal failures and shortcomings of the past, you are in good company, everyone who has ever succeeded must have their own stories of failure. Their own personal failings and their shortcoming.

Indeed success is only success because you can compare it with failure.

Permit me as I close to make a few, in some cases controversial statements;

I would like you to remember this, even if only a few years from now, you may find out that it is not true.

The first is that dreams pursued with single mindedness are more powerful than facts.

Courage and persistence can triumph even over experience; no matter whose experience it is.

The third is that hope and imagination are more potent than history. Because your history is not necessarily your destiny.

So let me wish that in the years to come through, your vision, can bring you, your nations and our continent prosperity.

Thank you very much.

Released by
Laolu Akande
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media & Publicity
Office of the Vice President
15th October, 2017

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by rabonni(m): 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2017
Tell your president that, he used his past lies to win the election, today is the future of 2015

9 Likes

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Bolustical: 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2017
In as much the VP is apt, we, especially youths, must understand history-where we're coming from and the paths we are threading and our destinations lest some marauders come and mislead us to commit mistakes of the past.

1 Like

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Bolustical: 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2017
Hmmn
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2017
I'm still unemployed undecided

5 Likes

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by ezana1(m): 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2017
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by SlayQueenSlayer(m): 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2017
Only good, honest and competent governance can save Africa. You and your party have failed to offer any.

4 Likes

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Nonymartin(m): 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2017
ok
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by TheVictorious(m): 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2017
Talking and and talking without doing anything worthwhile does not define the future of a country!!

17 Likes

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by chloride6: 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
Nigeria doesn't not need all these clean energy cars or wherever.

All this talk about entrepreneurship is tiring.

We don't need entrepreneurs, we need infrastructure. We need electricity, we need decent housing, healthcare, education , roads, security as we as justice system.

Give me all this and take away any billions I may or may not make.

Entrepreneurship is a coded way of Goverment saying we should all sort our self.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by jeeqaa7(m): 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
what does? APC?

i spit on your grave

1 Like

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by PapaBaby: 4:41pm On Oct 16, 2017
Lying Pastor Osinbanjo

5 Likes

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by asawanathegreat(m): 4:42pm On Oct 16, 2017
No comment for dis post
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Dutchey(m): 4:42pm On Oct 16, 2017
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 16, 2017
Those that never learnt from History/Past(mistakes especially) are bound to repeat it....you dont have a future from your history, your past evolves into the future...today will birth tomorrow.
The pinpoint should be what are you guys at the helm of affairs doing to make our tomorrow blissful? what are you guys doing to make us forget the good old days? it took China 35years to give the US goosebumps they are experiencing now..dont forget it a mobile globe where transfer of technology,science,ideas are more easily and quickly transferable.
In 1957 of the awolowo era with the then challenges; electricity dey,employment dey,live sweet..Margin btw castes in the society no too wide unlike now...
North korea, that reclusive state with opague system no reach us in every potential but they are better off than us in so many great aspect...now you are telling us, not to think of the past..When you shortsighted and greedy elders are living off on our Glory, making it all potential till person pass on..this harsh environment of Nigeria has made everybody in Nigeria a scope man, u no get scope u no go anywhere, everybody wanna get license for nonsense, then when you get there, those who are not as lucky as you are, state affairs, welfarism now become inconsequential to you...a prosperous environment breeds a prosperous destinies...all talks and no action.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by ncine: 4:43pm On Oct 16, 2017
good
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by musicwriter(m): 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
History determines the future, unless we do something about it. As at yet, we haven't dealt with the past to uninstall imposed values installed by Europeans.

English is still our official language in Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Gambia, Uganda, Botswana, e.t.c as installed by Britain over 150 years ago. The legal system in above countries are still as installed by Britain. What Osinbajo himself studied is law according to Britain, removing any African way of dispute resolution.

French is still the official language in Benin republic, Togo, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal, Ivory Coast, e.t.c as installed by France over 150 years ago. The legal system in above countries are still as installed by France, removing any African way of dispute resolution.

So, yes, history still determine our future today.

1 Like

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by rozayx5(m): 4:45pm On Oct 16, 2017
Shut it

All talk no results

undecided

2 Likes

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Kaslyni: 4:47pm On Oct 16, 2017
Only if learnt from
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 16, 2017
i came here to read comments
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by MrEdimulo82(m): 4:49pm On Oct 16, 2017
Nicely put up speech, motivating.

1 Like

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Ochasky23(m): 4:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
You're right my able VP

1 Like

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by sexylabo(m): 4:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
it will osinbanjo...dont cover your rubbish
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Adeyinka12(m): 4:54pm On Oct 16, 2017
I'm Still been pay peanut as salary
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Kaslyni: 4:55pm On Oct 16, 2017
PapaBaby:
Lying Pastor Osinbanjo
And what precisely did he lie about?
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 16, 2017
Only a mad man does something the same way over and over again yet expects a different result.

Potentially, he is correct, but actually, he is wrong. The future of Africa is defined by actions of today. Our actions of today are shameful and disgraceful. Especially in the realm of leadership like his. This is not about the chicken and the egg. If leadership cleanses itself of corruption then it can have the moral justification to go after citizens. Who comes to Equity must come with clean hands.

We have not taken actions today, that are significant, deliberate, self sacrificing, without bias and honest enough to ensure a good future.

So in my opinion, he is only correct in terms of our potentials and only in the hope that we can change and get serious with nation building and equity. His argument can only be true when we stop acting the way we do. A continent filled with Countries that fail to plan but hope to succeed. Countries who think the systems in America and France and Germany etc happened by mistake. We don't realize the painstaking efforts these countries put into nation building.

We are a continent with Countries that sow thorns but hope to reap bountiful ears of corn. We are throwing away things that identify us. Things that make us unique. We hate ourselves and our roots. Refer to them as primitive and in many cases see knowledge as the ability to speak English Language.

We are still joking.

2 Likes

Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by ipobarecriminals: 4:58pm On Oct 16, 2017
sad
Re: Past History of Failures Does Not Define Africa's Future--VP Osinbajo by Kaslyni: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2017
Adeyinka12:
I'm Still been pay peanut as salary
Add value to yourself and in due time you'll be the one determining your pay-package. You can start by improving on your use of english #MyOneKobo

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Nigerian Air Force Bomb ESN Hideouts In Orlu / Gov Imoke Condemned For Buying N13 Billion Aircraft / Tension In Alesa As Soldiers Kill Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.