Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,220 members, 7,953,808 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:05 AM

Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. (18803 Views)

Real Age On Nysc Discharge Certificate / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary / Man Going For Interview Speaks Rudely To Prospective Employer Inside KEKE NAPEP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Allstrasse: 4:06pm On Oct 18, 2017
Prevhoo:
Just as the title reads...

Had an interview and during the process, I was informed....

That, if I get called up. They will have to hold on to my NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE. Also, all the present staff are in on the arrangement.

They promised to have it in a vault at Diamond bank or the one at Montgomery, Yaba and will give me the receipt.

This arrangement seems draconian and slave like to me. There is something sinister about it or am I just a vain paranoid?

I want your opinions on this, will you agree to work for a firm that is holding you to ransom or by the "balls"?

PS: They said it is a measure to control theft, it still feels to drastic to me.

What will you do?

This is typical of Nairaland.

Very immature posturing.

Very selfish and self serving opinions.

People responding without even reading properly.

May I admit here that I have done this before and till date I always advise all clients to insist on holding at least NYSC discharge certificates as security whenever candidates are being recruited for sensitive positions and those that have to handle cash related responsibilities.

Lets look at it objectively.

OP said the prospective employer will have it domiciled in a vault with the bank or with a commercial vault service provider. And the receipt will be given to him. What could be so wrong about that? I usually advise that the cert be deposited with a bank and that both parties are signatories to the rrlease of the document.

Inall the responses above none have you have considered the prospective employer at all. Those of you have had tge experience of working in some organisations where selling is key woukd have heard recurring stories of sales personnel stealing monies in different volumes. And finally, it is the employer hat is left to suffer the loss. Some craft stupid and fantastic tales about losses that perhaps didnt even happen. I have witnessed a situation where three salesmen left the company simultaneously with a cumulative of 3Mill with different nerve racking stories.

Experience is the best teacher. Guarantors behave very funny when their proteges are nabbed. And that is when you start hearing all manners of stories, he guarantor has suddenly lost his well paying job or is in hospital or incapacittated in some form or other.......or in some very gory cases relocated to dead.

In the final analysis the money is lost.

Guarantors area waste of time. You may confirm this with any banker involved in recovery. Hold on to the certifucate and he /she will have a stake and will ensure that all lose ends are ied before he seeks to reclaim heis property.

Nigerian youths must be taught to be responsible and please spare me the "how much" is being paid story. The principle and and not the amount is what matters. Too much monies are lost bycompanies to fraudulent acts by sales people obviously have no stake in the business.

OP if you have no evil plan then drop your certificate as a security nd work conscienciously. Whrn you are done puck up your certificate and move on.

1 Like

Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by SURElee(f): 4:07pm On Oct 18, 2017
An employer only should have access to your photocopied credentials. You sef no fit create vault for your credentials inside your house? Try it at your own peril. Why is it only the nysc discharge certificate they want to vault and not all your credentials?

1 Like

Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Allstrasse: 4:09pm On Oct 18, 2017
yemmey10:
It may look harsh but they're taking precautions based on past experiences, especially if it's a Sales job.

Very smart response and objective too.

It calls to minda popular adage; Since the hunter has learnt to shoot without missing, the bird has learnt to fly without perching(or something like that).
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Allstrasse: 4:09pm On Oct 18, 2017
yemmey10:
It may look harsh but they're taking precautions based on past experiences, especially if it's a Sales job.

Very smart response and objective too.

It calls to mind a popular adage; Since the hunter has learnt to shoot without missing, the bird has learnt to fly without perching(or something like that).
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Laid2001: 4:09pm On Oct 18, 2017
Just make a colour scan copy of the certificate. Make color print out as well. Make a certified true copy of the Original with a Notary public. That makes it a Notarized copy.

Then give them the original.

Keep applying for job with the copies you have. When you are requested by your new company to resume with it, Resign and ask for it. If they are deliberately stalling, present your Notarized copy and tell the new company that you will bring it when released by the current company you work for..
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Allstrasse: 4:12pm On Oct 18, 2017
SURElee:
An employer only should have access to your photocopied credentials. You sef no fit create vault for your credentials inside your house? Try it at your own peril. Why is it only the nysc discharge certificate they want to vault and not all your credentials?

They dont need more than the NYSC.

Its just a guarantee that OP will not commit a fraud.

Remember that the NYSC cert is lso being considered as collateral for bank loans for graduates by BOI and BOA.
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Allstrasse: 4:17pm On Oct 18, 2017
[ote author=Laid2001 post=61542652]Just make a colour scan copy of the certificate. Make color print out as well. Make a certified true copy of the Original with a Notary public. That makes it a Notarized copy.

Then give them the original.

Keep applying for job with the copies you have. When you are requested by your new company to resume with it, then ask this baggas for it. If they are deliberately stalling, present your Notarized copy and tell the new company that you will bring it in when released by the thieves that has it.[/quote]

Best response ever apart fom the guttural language. But the essence is wonderful.
This is graduate quality thinking. Making a way above, around, through or under an obstacle.
This poster gives me hope. Well done sir. You just made the " very mountainous problem" appear very small and unserious. Bravo!
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Allstrasse: 4:24pm On Oct 18, 2017
Prevhoo:

My elder, I understand this part.

But when I want to collect it, don't you think complications may arise. Considering human nature.

One might get a better job offer?
You may also not be able to apply for jobs that demands the certificate?

What do you think, sir?

There is too much do here about nothing. Bros, there will be an agreement that states the terms for the retention of the certificate and you will be given a receipt for the document. If you meet all the terms your certificate will be released to you on the ladt day of you working there. There is no cause for alarm. I have witnesed this happening in many instances. And for those of you in the business of hiring sales personnel NEVER HIRE WITHOUT SECURITY. Guarantors no longer suffice. Sometimes the police ll even be on the side of the culprit. It is not unususl to hear stuff like " it serves im right, afterall he never pays well".
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by valentineuwakwe(m): 4:32pm On Oct 18, 2017
it's normal and a common practice. .is just a guide to stop certificate forgery.
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by mechanics(m): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2017
That's strange o.
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Fourwinds: 5:50pm On Oct 18, 2017
God punish the owner of that company wey dey request this rubbish.... OP use your number seven ooooooo....
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Fourwinds: 5:55pm On Oct 18, 2017
Allstrasse:

There is too much do here about nothing. Bros, there will be an agreement that states the terms for the retention of the certificate and you will be given a receipt for the document. If you meet all the terms your certificate will be released to you on the ladt day of you working there. There is no cause for alarm. I have witnesed this happening in many instances. And for those of you in the business of hiring sales personnel NEVER HIRE WITHOUT SECURITY. Guarantors no longer suffice. Sometimes the police ll even be on the side of the culprit. It is not unususl to hear stuff like " it serves im right, afterall he never pays well".
I disagree with you totally ...infact if he gets another place the moment he request for the certificate... the company will suspect he is about to get another job... Nigerian employers that are so wicked..... nonsense....OP don't drop the certificate

2 Likes

Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by poseidon12: 6:50pm On Oct 18, 2017
You should not accept such condition. It doesn't seem right.
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by babyfaceafrica: 7:21pm On Oct 18, 2017
Did don't try that.. Even oil companies don't collect such..so what is the companies problem?....his much so thaey want to pay..is it 5m?..slave jobs everywhere
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by CioAngels(f): 7:27pm On Oct 18, 2017
Do you blame them, when the government cannot provide job for the youth? They can only provide for their families and friends which they secretly do like thieves which they are and also teaching their children to be armed robbers while on the job like them. My dear, you will get another job by His grace. Don't give your discharge certificate to them so that you don't get to hear a painful story tomorrow. The action amount to slavery and they can wake up tomorrow and accuse you of one Thing and you will pay with your discharge certificate.

1 Like

Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by mytym(m): 8:09pm On Oct 18, 2017
Prevhoo:
Just as the title reads...

Had an interview and during the process, I was informed....

That, if I get called up. They will have to hold on to my NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE. Also, all the present staff are in on the arrangement.

They promised to have it in a vault at Diamond bank or the one at Montgomery, Yaba and will give me the receipt.

This arrangement seems draconian and slave like to me. There is something sinister about it or am I just a vain paranoid?

I want your opinions on this, will you agree to work for a firm that is holding you to ransom or by the "balls"?

PS: They said it is a measure to control theft, it still feels to drastic to me.

What will you do?

Get the job and Sue them at the Industrial court. Please record any conversation before signing the agreement...
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Delightiphie: 10:37pm On Oct 18, 2017
PrecisionFx:

what is the name of the firm?

what job are u doing there exactly?
I guess it's a sales job. Someone into pharmaceutical sales role told me they did that to him. His fear now is how to get another job without his certificate..
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 19, 2017
Delightiphie:

I guess it's a sales job. Someone into pharmaceutical sales role told me they did that to him. His fear now is how to get another job without his certificate..

I've seen such before, I had a old pal who got a job in a Telecom service company(whey back like 2009 and they took his degree original before he started. their idea was to make sure he doesn't spoil anything in their Telecom mast n flee.
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Allstrasse: 10:15am On Oct 19, 2017
Delightiphie:

I have actually been n a panel wherr the succssful candidates were asked to present either their original certificates or the original C of O of a property worth at least 5 Million with a letter of consent from the owner. And this was carried out by a first rate pharmaceutical company.

The explanation and understanding here was that tge recruited sale persons wou be wprking in the field and some of them in really remote places with brand new cars worth over 5 Million naira and stock in excess of 10 Million Naira at each point in time.

Its easy for somepeople to sit down and criticize some of these "inhuman" policies of companies but if you had even the slightest idea of the scope of fraud and theft by sales personnel in different companies you would have a rethink.

Fortunately, he candidate is always left with an alterative which is to quitte job. As regards the issue of the compan not wanting to release the document that is more of an issue of personal friction between the candidate and his superior officer and not the norm.

If you are sure that you have nothing untoward up your sleeve then what you do is protect our certificate by ensuring that it is deposited in an institution that is independent of the company and ensue that you are a co-signatory to the release documentation.

Absolutely nothing to fear for the clean minded honest staff.
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Allstrasse: 10:29am On Oct 19, 2017
Fourwinds:
I disagree with you totally ...infact if he gets another place the moment he request for the certificate... the company will suspect he is about to get another job... Nigerian employers that are so wicked..... nonsense....OP don't drop the certificate
Sir, your position in is is rather too one sided. Have you had something really precious stolen from you by a real trusted person before especially at the most inopportune time?

Have you heard of struggling companies with several loans hanging ontheir necks suddenly lose a lot of money through a carefully orchestrated plan by the staff who have cash handling responsibilities? I am sure you haven't.

Employment is a contract and it has terms but the hue and cries of the society is always in support of the employee and not the employer. I have seen so much in the course of my career. Human beigs are generally weak especially as it regards ethics and honesty and there are no systems in place yet (at least in this part of the world) to check these excesses.

Let the emploer who has experienced these stuff tell you their experiences and you sell be wowed.

Finally, try to always imagine the pain of the other person before throwing out diatribes. It is a serious indication of maturity.
Re: Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption. by Ugtina: 4:53pm On May 05, 2023
Please can you guys help me?

I am a corper serving at Lagos and I don't like my current ppa.

I want to change it but my employer doesn't want to give me my rejection letter.

He rather wants to report to NYSC. Is there anything I can do? I am so confused and frustrated.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Things Job Seekers Do That Sabotage Their Interview Chances / Government Job And A Firm: Time To Pick One / Padua Petroleum Nigeria Limited Entry-level & Exp.job Recruitment (15 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.