Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,991 members, 7,810,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu (2349 Views)

What's Wrong With Africa? / Interview With Africa's Longest Serving President: Teodoro Obiang / Obama's Victory Spells Trouble For Israel's Netanyahu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by AjanleKoko: 7:45am On Mar 13, 2010
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by coldhearts(f): 2:48pm On Mar 17, 2010
"But look at China and Africa today! What made the big difference? Faced with the same White Peril [/b]as the Africans, the Chinese, from 1840 onwards, went into a political and social convulsion and into an intellectual ferment. The [b]Chinese people staged reform and revolutionary movements which aimed to extricate China from the foreigners grip, rebellions flared up repeatedly against the Chinese Government for being ineffective in defending China from foreign invaders"

"The Maoists founded , t[b]he People's Republic of China-and then made sure that no foreign power could control any aspect of production or culture in China. They reconstructed China completely, changed its internal and external economic relations, industrialized it and built up its power[/b]. Along the way, they fought America and its imperialist allies to a draw in Korea, China eventually joined the UN in 1971 and the WTO in 2001, it was not on terms dictated by the imperialists. China did not diminish its sovereignty to get some transient economic advantage." byDr. Chinweizu

I think some Nigerians are still unaware of how far china has gone. Perhaps its time we break this vicious cycle/white peril we find ourselves in.  We can take good knowledge from western nations but we don't have to let them control our resources/markets and affairs. No one has our interest in mind, no foreigner ever has, it's simply up to us and our leaders even if it means splitting, strengthening our borders e.t.c.

That quick foreign money our elders/leaders pocket so quickly is a slap in the face to next generation - maybe some elders are not as smart and humble. Actually, we could have made more money if we had good leaders, I hope Pres. Jonathan will be tough and make necessary changes. The old alliances didn't work too well, so it's time to learn humbly and make new ones.
Enough is Enough.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by johnblaze1: 8:23pm On Mar 18, 2010
"But look at China and Africa today! What made the big difference? Faced with the same White Peril as the Africans, the Chinese, from 1840 onwards, went into a political and social convulsion and into an intellectual ferment. The Chinese people staged reform and revolutionary movements which aimed to extricate China from the foreigners grip, rebellions flared up repeatedly against the Chinese Government for being ineffective in defending China from foreign invaders"

"The Maoists founded , the People's Republic of China-and then made sure that no foreign power could control any aspect of production or culture in China. They reconstructed China completely, changed its internal and external economic relations, industrialized it and built up its power. Along the way, they fought America and its imperialist allies to a draw in Korea, China eventually joined the UN in 1971 and the WTO in 2001, it was not on terms dictated by the imperialists. China did not diminish its sovereignty to get some transient economic advantage." byDr. Chinweizu

I think some Nigerians are still unaware of how far china has gone. Perhaps its time we break this vicious cycle/white peril we find ourselves in. We can take good knowledge from western nations but we don't have to let them control our resources/markets and affairs. No one has our interest in mind, no foreigner ever has, it's simply up to us and our leaders even if it means splitting, strengthening our borders e.t.c.

That quick foreign money our elders/leaders pocket so quickly is a slap in the face to next generation - maybe some elders are not as smart and humble. Actually, we could have made more money if we had good leaders, I hope Pres. Jonathan will be tough and make necessary changes. The old alliances didn't work too well, so it's time to learn humbly and make new ones.
Enough is Enough

@coldhearts

well spoken,you hit the points very well. Africa still suffers from mental slavery
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by coldhearts(f): 4:00am On Mar 20, 2010
Thanks john_blaze  wink but i don't think Nigerians or most of africa suffer from mental slavery at all. I'm not sure why you wrote that (maybe that's pushing it a bit too farsmiley). You have to understand that the average Nigerian doesn't care about "whites" nor slavery - be it mental or whatever lol. This is a good thing because nothing stops them from accomplishing any task when they choose to- most live, work hard (try to be self sufficient however possible) then die off- end of story (just like many places in the world). Granted we have more hardship, hopefully that would ease in the future with good leadership.

This is in contrast to the american mentality or maybe south africa because people of different race and a history of apartheid have to associate closely with each other but i think many people are getting over that with recent black accomplishments.

Anyway, Nigeria has a lot of good people and they persevere really well and their perseverance and patience is not to be confused with mental slavery or maybe i don't understand what you mean  undecided.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by johnblaze1: 8:35pm On Mar 20, 2010
coldhearts:

Thanks john_blaze  wink but i don't think Nigerians or most of africa suffer from mental slavery at all. I'm not sure why you wrote that (maybe that's pushing it a bit too farsmiley). You have to understand that the average Nigerian doesn't care about "whites" nor slavery - be it mental or whatever lol. This is a good thing because nothing stops them from accomplishing any task when they choose to- most live, work hard (try to be self sufficient however possible) then die off- end of story (just like many places in the world). Granted we have more hardship, hopefully that would ease in the future with good leadership.

This is in contrast to the american mentality or maybe south africa because people of different race and a history of apartheid have to associate closely with each other but i think many people are getting over that with recent black accomplishments.

Anyway, Nigeria has a lot of good people and they persevere really well and their perseverance and patience is not to be confused with mental slavery or maybe i don't understand what you mean  undecided.

@coldhearts
Thanks for your comments, what I met by mental slavery is that like you rightly pointed out Africans have the ability to achieve greatness like their counterparts in other continents but sadly the average African with the exception of a few do not realise this. Another point I would like to make is that mental slavery can be seen in conjunction with a humanties term known as "auto-transcendence" which means in lay man's term the ability to move from one stage to another. Like you rightly pointed the average african seems to be contented with present achievement, he seldom tries to achieve greater things. I believe these are some of the things that has kept Africa down.

Thus, there is need for the emancipation of the mind, so that we can begin to discover our potentials and what we are capable of doing. How can we achieve this? By creating awareness with a view of educating people.

I hope my view is clear
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by Nobody: 1:04pm On Mar 21, 2010
We should start rebuilding now!!! Imported religion and other stuffs need to be be banned right now. Japan built their world on their own myth and now they are the world leader in technology even the almighty America can't compete with Japan in terms of tech.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by cap28: 12:16pm On Mar 22, 2010
nigerians are definitely in the firm grip of mental slavery, but i beleive this is borne out of ignorance, the average nigerian does not read books, is not inquisitive about the world he/she lives in and cannot look at things from a critical perspective, colonialism totally robbed nigerians of the ability to think and reason properly, the average nigerian aspires to be like a white man, they look up to western knowledge, (look at our educational system) they carry chrisitianity on their heads(look at the amount of churches in nigeria )  despite the fact that christianity was used as a tool of control by the white man to enslave us mentally and physically, the  white man came with the bible in one hand and a gun in the other, the so called christian missionaries worked hand in hand with the slave traders - christianity and islam were used as weapons of control and they are still being used sucessfully on africans to date. 

the reason i say our mental slavery is borne out of ignorance is because many of us dont read books - the only way you can know who you are and what to do about improving your situation is to go back into the past and research your history, this will enable you to make sense of where you are to date  if more nigerians knew where they were coming from they would be able to find solutions to enable us as a people to move forward.

we have the ability to achieve greatness but inferiority complex holds us back.  you only have to look at how we have tolerated years of abuse from our leaders to know that we dont beleive that we deserve better, if you look at every other nation that has suffered  under repressive govts like nigeria, the people always rise up to overthrow the elite ruling class - in latin america it was peasant revolts and grass roots movements that led to the overthrow of corrupt western backed govts this has never been done in nigeria for a number of reasons - the major one being ethnic differences which our so called rulers play on and manipulate in order to retain their positions of power, they pit different  tribes against each other so what we have is a situation where we fight each other instead of fighting our real enemies - instead of focusing on taking down the real enemy we focus on taking down each other, but all these inter ethnic conflicts are a diversion from the real problem - the nigerian elite and their foreign backers.  until we can understand the world we live in and our position in it we will continue going round in circles, i advocate the need for a mass literacy campaign which will educate the people the way Fela did using his music, explaining to the masses basic concepts ie the neccessity for an organised movement, overthrow of the nigerian ruling class through organised resistance,etc,
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by coldhearts(f): 2:38pm On Mar 25, 2010
at cap,

why?
why do you resort to bashing a whole group of people?.
why?
why bash nigerians, that is,if you are a nigerian; why not give constructive criticism which might make people interested in what you have to say without calling them names e.g mental slavery, ignorant, inferiority complex e.t.c (by the way the latter can only affect you if you live among a few low class american whites and allow it to huh).

You might want to try leaving nigeria alone if it's that bad for you, it will sort itself out in due time.

The nigerians i know here are highly educated, they'd do anything including going overseas for a good education. I'v met many Nigerians who are doctors, engineers e.t.c many in my family actually and that includes me as well. Some of the smartest people out there are Nigerians. Maybe you are angry now, many of us are seeing what is happening but that's no reason to bash it like this but then again feel free to, it's the world wide web.

We simply need to better ourselves more than just bashing, too much talking/bashing is one of the problems too. Do you not get tired of people saying nonsense about Nigerians. why

you start out bashing nigerians instead of the supposedly guilty foreigners that robbed us as in your first paragraph, then i wonder who is winning here - the foreigners maybe. Sorry if i appear to be harsh.

read  more
http://www.nigerianmuse.com/20080526092132zg/nigeriawatch/education/EDUCATION_In_America_Nigerians_education_pursuit_is_above_rest

http://newsone.com/nation/good-news-nation/casey-gane-mccalla/black-wonder-twins-in-britain-break-records-on-exam-scores/
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by cap28: 7:10pm On Mar 25, 2010
coldhearts:

at cap,

why?
why do you resort to bashing a whole group of people?.
why?
why bash nigerians, that is,if you are a nigerian; why not give constructive criticism which might make people interested in what you have to say without calling them names e.g mental slavery, ignorant, inferiority complex e.t.c (by the way the latter can only affect you if you live among a few low class american whites and allow it to huh).

You might want to try leaving nigeria alone if it's that bad for you, it will sort itself out in due time.

The nigerians i know here are highly educated, they'd do anything including going overseas for a good education. I'v met many Nigerians who are doctors, engineers e.t.c many in my family actually and that includes me as well. Some of the smartest people out there are Nigerians. Maybe you are angry now, many of us are seeing what is happening but that's no reason to bash it like this but then again feel free to, it's the world wide web.

We simply need to better ourselves more than just bashing, too much talking/bashing is one of the problems too. Do you not get tired of people saying nonsense about Nigerians. why

you start out bashing nigerians instead of the supposedly guilty foreigners that robbed us as in your first paragraph, then i wonder who is winning here - the foreigners maybe. Sorry if i appear to be harsh.

read  more
http://www.nigerianmuse.com/20080526092132zg/nigeriawatch/education/EDUCATION_In_America_Nigerians_education_pursuit_is_above_rest

http://newsone.com/nation/good-news-nation/casey-gane-mccalla/black-wonder-twins-in-britain-break-records-on-exam-scores/

@coldhearts predictably you responded defensively, but the  truth is often bitter.

The fact that i have pointed out things which i feel cripple my people does not mean that i am bashing them, im merely holding up a mirror and saying: this is who we are.  there is no point going through life in denial because sooner or later you will be forced to confront the truth no matter how hard it is. 

i think i did give constructive criticism as i pointed out how we could redress the problem of mass ignorance that many of us suffer from - i talked about re education, not from a white man's perspective but from an african perspective, where, instead of focusing on mimicing people who look at us with contempt, we look back to our great history and develop on that, our ancestors achieved many great things but those achievements were derailed by slavery and colonialism. 

the truth is that the average nigerian DOES  worship the white man and every thing he stands for, take for instance the current sad state of our country, what is the genesis of this problem?  i wont go as far back as slavery because a lot of what happened then was outside our control but lets look at the post independence period - why has it been so easy for the british and now the americans to have a hold over our economy?  isnt it because our ruling elite have colluded with them and have assisted them in the systematic plunder of our economy?  why would any proud african who loves his people allow foreigners to hijack their economy and cause the poverty, misery and suffering of their own people? 

i was impressed by the nigerian twins in the link you provided, however this only highlights my earlier point which is that we are capable of doing great things but we prefer to live in the shadow of our former colonial masters - we can equally nurture talented kids like that in nigeria if our govts provided adquate funding for education instead of diverting the monies into their private bank accounts - those kids actually grew up in deprived parts of london but because they were in an environment which was conducive for learning they excelled - these things are all possible in nigeria, if we could only get the right sort of govt in place.  these kids  should be nigeria's future mathmeticians, physicists and scientists but i can see a situation where their knowledge and skills will be used towards the development of a western economy when we need these sort of brains in nigeria  in order to compete on an equal footing with western economies. 

you talk about nigerians being the smartest minority in the united states, well if we are so smart why in god's name is our country in such a deplorable state , why cant these "smart" people come up with ideas on how to dislodge these criminal psychopaths who have been decimating our economy in collaboration with their white masters so that they dont have to run away to america and europe in order to "make it", isnt it time that these self proclaimed intellectuals did something about the downward spiral of our country instead of pontificating from their ivory towers about their so called fantastic acheivements. 

individual success means nothing if 80% of your population lives on the equivalent of less than $2 a day - your link confirmed that nigerians are a tiny minority in the US and therefore any successes they achieve has no impact overall on the lot of an average nigerian anywhere else in the world, nigerians do not work together as a unit in the way that the chinese, indians and other minority groups in europe or america do, we   are selfish and individualistic  this is why as a race of people we remain backward and at the mercy of the white race.  the average white man beleives in working collectively towards the betterment and progress of his people as a whole (to the exclusion of other races) a white man will never sell out his own people to favour someone of another race, whites always put their own people first, in addition  a white man will come up with ideas that will create jobs for his people and lift everyone out of poverty, a nigerian will think of how he can better himself alone so that he can look down on his fellow nigerians, the current tragic situation in nigeria is a clear reflection of that.  we make enough money from oil revenue that we should be able to guarantee every nigerian citizen a decent standard of living, free education up to university level, excellent infrastructure, free healthcare and adequate employment, but what do we have instead?  mass poverty, mass unemployment, non existent healthcare, terrible infrastructure , deteriorating standards of education the list goes on.

by the way these so called "achievements" of our people in america that you talk of would have been impossible had it not been for the courage and sacrifice made by many great african american leaders who challenged the white supremacist power structure, something that our so called leaders, intellectuals and working people are yet to do in our own country.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by johnblaze1: 7:22pm On Mar 25, 2010
The fact that i have pointed out things which i feel cripple my people does not mean that i am bashing them, im merely holding up a mirror and saying: this is who we are. there is no point going through life in denial because sooner or later you will be forced to confront the truth no matter how hard it is.

i think i did give constructive criticism as i pointed out how we could redress the problem of mass ignorance that many of us suffer from - i talked about re education, not from a white man's perspective but from an african perspective, where, instead of focusing on mimicing people who look at us with contempt, we look back to our great history and develop on that, our ancestors achieved many great things but those achievements were derailed by slavery and colonialism.

the truth is that the average nigerian DOES worship the white man and every thing he stands for, take for instance the current sad state of our country, what is the genesis of this problem? i wont go as far back as slavery because a lot of what happened then was outside our control but lets look at the post independence period - why has it been so easy for the british and now the americans to have a hold over our economy? isnt it because our ruling elite have colluded with them and have assisted them in the systematic plunder of our economy? why would any proud african who loves his people allow foreigners to hijack their economy and cause the poverty, misery and suffering of their own people?

i was impressed by the nigerian twins in the link you provided, however this only highlights my earlier point which is that we are capable of doing great things but we prefer to live in the shadow of our former colonial masters - we can equally nurture talented kids like that in nigeria if our govts provided adquate funding for education instead of diverting the monies into their private bank accounts - those kids actually grew up in deprived parts of london but because they were in an environment which was conducive for learning they excelled - these things are all possible in nigeria, if we could only get the right sort of govt in place. these kids should be nigeria's future mathmeticians, physicists and scientists but i can see a situation where their knowledge and skills will be used towards the development of a western economy when we need these sort of brains in nigeria in order to compete on an equal footing with western economies.

you talk about nigerians being the smartest minority in the united states, well if we are so smart why in god's name is our country in such a deplorable state , why cant these "smart" people come up with ideas on how to dislodge these criminal psychopaths who have been decimating our economy in collaboration with their white masters so that they dont have to run away to america and europe in order to "make it", isnt it time that these self proclaimed intellectuals did something about the downward spiral of our country instead of pontificating from their ivory towers about their so called fantastic acheivements.

individual success means nothing if 80% of your population lives on the equivalent of less than $2 a day - your link confirmed that nigerians are a tiny minority in the US and therefore any successes they achieve has no impact overall on the lot of an average nigerian anywhere else in the world, nigerians do not work together as a unit in the way that the chinese, indians and other minority groups in europe or america do, we are selfish and individualistic this is why as a race of people we remain backward and at the mercy of the white race. the average white man beleives in working collectively towards the betterment and progress of his people as a whole (to the exclusion of other races) a white man will never sell out his own people to favour someone of another race, whites always put their own people first, in addition a white man will come up with ideas that will create jobs for his people and lift everyone out of poverty, a nigerian will think of how he can better himself alone so that he can look down on his fellow nigerians, the current tragic situation in nigeria is a clear reflection of that. we make enough money from oil revenue that we should be able to guarantee every nigerian citizen a decent standard of living, free education up to university level, excellent infrastructure, free healthcare and adequate employment, but what do we have instead? mass poverty, mass unemployment, non existent healthcare, terrible infrastructure , deteriorating standards of education the list goes on.

by the way these so called "achievements" of our people in america that you talk of would have been impossible had it not been for the courage and sacrifice made by many great african american leaders who challenged the white supremacist power structure, something that our so called leaders, intellectuals and working people are yet to do in our own country.

@cap28
You are very correct, I am quite happy to have found someone who shares my views as well. You have said it all. The first thing for us to do is to start to create the needed awareness to our people with a view of opening their eyes!!!
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by cap28: 7:50pm On Mar 25, 2010
john_blaze:

@cap28
You are very correct, I am quite happy to have found someone who shares my views as well. You have said it all. The first thing for us to do is to start to create the needed awareness to our people with a view of opening their eyes!!!

@john blaze you are welcome, yes i agree, once people fully understand what they are dealing with then we are half way there, thanks for your comments.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by coldhearts(f): 10:53pm On Mar 25, 2010
Since you've figured it all out; there's no point in me replying you much. Perhaps you can do all that you've mentioned, i'm sure you have the brains and the energy. I'm sure you mean well undecided

keep looking in that mirror and calling yourself many things but you have to remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Nigeria crumbled a long time ago as a result of many bad decisions and will take time to fix as well.

Even though i might agree with some of the things you said, the rest is simply beyond me for example "western knowledge" (1st statement, 1st paragraph)-what is wrong with acquirng knowledge from them, don't bother replying that. "Average nigerian worshiping white man lol, white man come up with ideas to create job for his people" - you seem to give them a lot of credit cos there's high unemployment rate in Europe even with so much ideas.

The good thing about life is that you can study the person that did you wrong, acquire their knowledge, emulate what is good and leave out their bad and then use it to your advantage OR we can simply learn from the east and ignore the west if possible.

have a good day smiley.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by AjanleKoko: 7:59am On Mar 31, 2010
Check this out:

The Ivorian Football Federation will pay Eriksson £270,000 basic salary but can earn up to £1.7m in bonuses .According to a report in The Sun, Eriksson has also been given an uncapped expense account, a team credit card and a swish London flat until the tournament begins. Ivory Coast unemployment is at 50% and life expectancy is 41!, a $4m factory will do a lot for the Ivorien youth. Yet, like foolish Nigerians, Ivory Coast has opted to pay a jobless white man to wear their Jersey in June.

When will we be delivered from colo-mentality?
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by AjanleKoko: 8:04am On Mar 31, 2010
coldhearts:

Thanks john_blaze  wink but i don't think Nigerians or most of africa suffer from mental slavery at all.

Na lie o. We do suffer from mental slavery. You and me included. Nothing we do on our own is ever good enough for us. We're always seeking validation from anything in white. I mean, look at Nigerian companies. Always hiring white people cos we think they have something to teach us. In fact, African pseudo-entrepreneurs like Adenuga are fond of this. People working for them are so grateful to even have a job, they sing the man's praises left right and center, while he employs Indians to kick them about like the dogs they are. It is not only disgusting, it is tragic.

cap28:

the truth is that the average nigerian DOES  worship the white man and every thing he stands for, take for instance the current sad state of our country, what is the genesis of this problem?  i wont go as far back as slavery because a lot of what happened then was outside our control but lets look at the post independence period - why has it been so easy for the british and now the americans to have a hold over our economy?  isnt it because our ruling elite have colluded with them and have assisted them in the systematic plunder of our economy?  why would any proud african who loves his people allow foreigners to hijack their economy and cause the poverty, misery and suffering of their own people? 

individual success means nothing if 80% of your population lives on the equivalent of less than $2 a day - your link confirmed that nigerians are a tiny minority in the US and therefore any successes they achieve has no impact overall on the lot of an average nigerian anywhere else in the world, nigerians do not work together as a unit in the way that the chinese, indians and other minority groups in europe or america do, we   are selfish and individualistic  this is why as a race of people we remain backward and at the mercy of the white race. 

This man said it all. Self-adulation is our disgusting currency. Individual brags here and there. I have Phd, I have this and that. So what?
Some people, even here on this forum, are so happy to be living in the UK or US that they turn their nose up at anything in Nigeria. I don't know any Chinese or Indian that is so happy to blast their nation, instead they are proud of their heritage and always want to identify with home. Not so for Nigerians or most other Africans. Even ready to pay astonishing sums of money in the name of foreign education, just to get out.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by AjanleKoko: 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2010
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by cap28: 1:01am On Apr 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Imperialism101.html

Something to educate us all.

I absolutely love reading michael parenti's lectures he is one of america's leading left wing academics, very, very astute, outstanding and erudite, totally respect the man for his forthrightness and courage we need academics like him in nigeria.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by igboitalo: 8:01pm On Apr 16, 2010
i am very happy to hear from people that share my views.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by igboitalo: 8:06pm On Apr 16, 2010
cap28:

@coldhearts predictably you responded defensively, but the truth is often bitter.

The fact that i have pointed out things which i feel cripple my people does not mean that i am bashing them, im merely holding up a mirror and saying: this is who we are. there is no point going through life in denial because sooner or later you will be forced to confront the truth no matter how hard it is.

the truth is that the average nigerian DOES worship the white man and every thing he stands for, take for instance the current sad state of our country, what is the genesis of this problem? i wont go as far back as slavery because a lot of what happened then was outside our control but lets look at the post independence period - why has it been so easy for the british and now the americans to have a hold over our economy? isnt it because our ruling elite have colluded with them and have assisted them in the systematic plunder of our economy? why would any proud african who loves his people allow foreigners to hijack their economy and cause the poverty, misery and suffering of their own people?

i was impressed by the nigerian twins in the link you provided, however this only highlights my earlier point which is that we are capable of doing great things but we prefer to live in the shadow of our former colonial masters - we can equally nurture talented kids like that in nigeria if our govts provided adquate funding for education instead of diverting the monies into their private bank accounts - those kids actually grew up in deprived parts of london but because they were in an environment which was conducive for learning they excelled - these things are all possible in nigeria, if we could only get the right sort of govt in place. these kids should be nigeria's future mathmeticians, physicists and scientists but i can see a situation where their knowledge and skills will be used towards the development of a western economy when we need these sort of brains in nigeria in order to compete on an equal footing with western economies.

individual success means nothing if 80% of your population lives on the equivalent of less than $2 a day - your link confirmed that nigerians are a tiny minority in the US and therefore any successes they achieve has no impact overall on the lot of an average nigerian anywhere else in the world, nigerians do not work together as a unit in the way that the chinese, indians and other minority groups in europe or america do, we are selfish and individualistic this is why as a race of people we remain backward and at the mercy of the white race. the average white man beleives in working collectively towards the betterment and progress of his people as a whole (to the exclusion of other races) a white man will never sell out his own people to favour someone of another race, whites always put their own people first, in addition a white man will come up with ideas that will create jobs for his people and lift everyone out of poverty, a nigerian will think of how he can better himself alone so that he can look down on his fellow nigerians, the current tragic situation in nigeria is a clear reflection of that. we make enough money from oil revenue that we should be able to guarantee every nigerian citizen a decent standard of living, free education up to university level, excellent infrastructure, free healthcare and adequate employment, but what do we have instead? mass poverty, mass unemployment, non existent healthcare, terrible infrastructure , deteriorating standards of education the list goes on.

[b][/b]GOD WILL BLESS YOU, YOU HAVE SAID IT ALL
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by strangleyo: 9:57pm On Apr 16, 2010
People are forgetting that the Chinese were writing poetic literature while people in Europe were living in caves.

5000 years ago China already had writing. The Chinese dynasty during the height of the Roman Empire was technologically superior, with more refined military tactics and more efficient weapons.

There was a time the Chinese had a bigger and better fleet than Europe's combined.

Africa has real building to do, from the scratch.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by coldhearts(f): 3:49am On Apr 27, 2010
@ajanlekoko,
I do agree with a lot of things that everyone is saying here and if you read my earlier post, i'm sure you'd agree we are on the same page. However, i do not see myself the way you guys describe yourselves with the mental slavery and all. In fact, i mentioned it to a few nigerian people and they thought it was quite strange for you to see yourself that way. I simply think it is a matter of perception and this is where we all mainly differ. we can agree to disagree cheesy.

You also have to understand that they didn't plunder our economy because we allowed them to only, it's because they had the power to do evil and they did it with no restraint. They had the bigger toys- the guns, nuclear power, chemical warfare e.t.c so tell me what elite (or even uneducated) person would not fall victim to their demands?( One cannot fight a strong person alone especially if one didn't prepare for the fight and therefore must give in to avoid any damage). We have ourselves or perhaps our leaders to blame for not being prepared and also for being too naive initially.

Well, that was then, this is now and we do have to educate ourselves like you all said and perhaps in the future protect ourselves (if possible, join up with stronger nations if necessary to fight any form of injustice) .

lastly, If Nigeria fixes itself up starting with leadership, security/protection and good education, many people won't have to go abroad to pay for it and many of those abroad will come home. It's that simple.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by AjanleKoko: 5:18pm On May 06, 2010
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by cap28: 12:52am On May 07, 2010
AjanleKoko:

More from Chinweizu. Whatever you say about the man, I think much of what he says makes sense:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10747:black-colonialists-the-root-of-the-trouble-with-africa-12&catid=96:columnists&Itemid=350

brilliantly written, this man is outstanding, he encapsulates the passive and cowardly state that nigerians remain in, look at the atrocities we have allowed the compradore class to get away with for years and yet we continue to wait to see if things will change, pathetic, now IBB and his fellow 75 year old generals are preparing themselves for part two of their destruction of what is left of the nigerian economy, but look around and you ll see loads of shameless sychophants on NL singing his praises - there is no hope.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by AjanleKoko: 2:52pm On May 07, 2010
@cap28,

Just think about what Chinweizu is saying

The black race will be exterminated if we do not create a Black Superpower before the end of this century.

The problem is, modern African blacks seem to be deluded into thinking that they are accepted into the developed society, because they are now 'citizens' of Europe and the Americas. So not having a homeland is not really such a big deal. They are now 'British' and 'Americans'.

What's the worth of a British or American passport? Some would argue, safety, security, the chance to live in a comfortable environment, bla bla bla.

I'm sure all the black men in maximum-security prisons in the US, all the unemployed black men in the various ghettos in Europe and America, all have full-fledged citizenship of those nations.

We should learn from the Asians, who have by far a deeper and more entrenched footprint in the developed world, and yet don't joke around with their motherland. If we know what's good for ourselves, we had better find a way to get our black civilization off the ground.
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by cap28: 3:09pm On May 08, 2010
AjanleKoko:

@cap28,

Just think about what Chinweizu is saying

The black race will be exterminated if we do not create a Black Superpower before the end of this century.

The problem is, modern African blacks seem to be deluded into thinking that they are accepted into the developed society, because they are now 'citizens' of Europe and the Americas. So not having a homeland is not really such a big deal. They are now 'British' and 'Americans'.

What's the worth of a British or American passport? Some would argue, safety, security, the chance to live in a comfortable environment, bla bla bla.

I'm sure all the black men in maximum-security prisons in the US, all the unemployed black men in the various ghettos in Europe and America, all have full-fledged citizenship of those nations.

We should learn from the Asians, who have by far a deeper and more entrenched footprint in the developed world, and yet don't joke around with their motherland. If we know what's good for ourselves, we had better find a way to get our black civilization off the ground.
Ajanlekoko i had to google chinweizu in order to read more of his articles and i was delighted at what i found, the man is an outstanding scholar, his articles are erudite and engaging , none of this  use of big grammar and convoluted jargon that some of these other so called academics hide behind,  i honestly beleive that his books should be required reading for nigerians of all ages, his warnings about the impending extermination of the black race is chilling but it doesnt suprise me, if you look at the situation of black people in every country around the world we are in a position of subservience and subjugation. 

his commentary on the black compradore class is an eye opener, the average nigerian should seriously start paying attention to what this man is stating as many of the things he wrote about 20 years ago  are actually happening as we speak.

i was pleasantly suprised to find that he also agrees with the ideology of marcus garvey another great black leader who warned blacks in america that they faced marginalisation, poverty, exploitation and finally extinction if they did not found a nation state in africa which would enable them realise their right to self determination  - at the time that he made these assertions two attempts were made to kill him by the FBI, eventually the americans orchestrated his downfall by using traitorous blacks in america to sabotage an organisation he founded , he was eventually framed on trumped up charges of mail order fraud and thrown in jail and then deported to England.  The americans were so afraid of him going to his own country (Jamaica) to rally his people that he was banned from returning there until his death in 1940.  In addition he was banned from entering africa because of the danger the whites felt that he posed to their ongoing colonialism project on that  continent.
In 1966 his body was exhumed from its grave in london and flown back to Jamaica where he was given a state funeral. 

Garvey advised blacks in america to found a nation state free from white control but he was demonised by other blacks in america as a communist and mad man.

i really want to read more about chinweizu and i have been browsing the internet looking for more of his interviews, speeches etc

For those nigerians who think they are safe because they have taken on citizenships of foreign nations i would ask them not to forget what happened to the jews of europe, when the back lash against the Jews started they became a target of extreme xenophobia from people who were once their friends and neighbours almost every european nation colluded with the nazis in the mass extermination of the jews aka the "final solution" culminating in the loss of a reported 6 million jewish lives. 

can you post some more links with his interviews, speeches or books please, as he is the lone voice in the middle of the desert preaching the truth.

thanks
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by 419forlife: 11:40pm On Feb 22, 2017
Re: Black Colonialists: The Root Of The Trouble With Africa - Chinweizu by 419forlife: 11:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
Are we smart enough to just stop the bad guys

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: The Beautiful Pictures Of Kenya's Westgate Shopping Mall Before Terroris / JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' / 17 Photos That Show The American Military’s Water-survival Training Is No Joke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.