Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,626 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' (2350 Views)

Map Shows World's 'Most Racist' Countries (and The Answers May Surprise You) / More Trouble On The Way, See The Map. / Tehran- A Fresh Call For Isreal To Be Wiped Out Of The Map! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by White007(m): 11:20pm On Oct 01, 2014
Jimmy Carter attempts to kick Glenn Beck around. Former President Jimmy Carter marked his 90th birthday Wednesday with a lengthy interview on CNBC Meets where he discussed his one term in office and the one thing he would have handled differently — the Iran Hostage Crisis.
Carter suggested Operation Eagle Claw, a failed 1980 attempt to rescue the hostages taken by Iranian revolutionaries at the U.S. Embassy in Tehran, could have been successful if he committed one more helicopter to the mission.

"I think I would have been re-elected easily if I had been able to rescue our hostages from the Iranians," Carter said. "And everybody asks me what would do more, I would say I would send one more helicopter because if I had one more helicopter, we could have brought out not only the 52 hostages, but also brought out the rescue team, and when that failed, then I think that was the main factor that brought about my failure to be re-elected. So that's one thing I would change."

Operation Eagle Claw was aborted after three of the helicopters taking part in the mission experienced mechanical problems.

Carter also said he believed he would have been re-elected if he took military action against Iran in response to the taking of the hostages. Though he argued he "could have wiped Iran off the map," Carter said he thought avoiding war was the "right decision."

"I could've been re-elected if I'd taken military action against Iran, shown that I was strong and resolute and, um, manly and so forth," said Carter, adding: "I could have wiped Iran off the map with the weapons that we had, but in the process a lot of innocent people would have been killed, probably including the hostages, and so I stood up against all that, er, all that advice, and then eventually my prayers were answered and every hostage came home safe and free. And so I think I made the right decision in retrospect, but it was not easy at the time."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jimmy-carter-could-wiped-iran-161251762.html
Re: JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by sexzskil(f): 12:36am On Oct 02, 2014
PRESIDENT CARTER!

THE UNITED STATES CAN WIPE OFF ANY NATION THEY WISH FROM THE WORLD. THEY OWN EVERYTHING ON THIS PLANET, LITTLE WONDER GEJ SAID NIGERIAN MONEY IS THEIR MONEY!

MAY AMERICA RULE THE UNIVERSE FOR ETERNITY!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by Missy89(f): 6:56am On Oct 02, 2014
This twerp couldn't even get a helicopter to fly into Iran. so how was he going to wipe them off exactly?

1 Like

Re: JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by GuyFawkes: 7:15am On Oct 02, 2014
Missy89: This twerp couldn't even get a helicopter to fly into Iran. so how was he going to wipe them off exactly?

Lol since he knew the hostages would have well have been wiped off also, what's the wisdom in saying that now? Anyway his failures ushered in Reagan who wasn't all that TBH. He gave illegal immigrants amnesty though. smiley
Re: JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by Missy89(f): 7:17am On Oct 02, 2014
GuyFawkes:
Lol since he knew the hostages would have well have been wiped off also, what's the wisdom in saying that now? Anyway his failures ushered in Reagan who wasn't all that TBH. He gave illegal immigrants amnesty though. smiley

Dont forget his war crimes in East Timor. Aiding and abetting the Indonesians

1 Like

Re: JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by GuyFawkes: 7:28am On Oct 02, 2014
Missy89:

Dont forget his war crimes in East Timor. Aiding and abetting the Indonesians

Yeah he has a long rap sheet,also atrocities commited all over central america in the name of flushing out communists.
Re: JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by deeobserver209(m): 9:08am On Oct 02, 2014
FIASCO IN IRAN!
A Mission Comes to Grief in Iran.
Those were the headlines on US papers on the ill-fated American attempt to rescue American citizens kept hostage right inside their own embassy in Teheran.
The mission would have been a success had it not been for some nasty technical malfunction of some of their high tech helicopters and the loss of a C-130 cargo plane trying to discharge fuel in mid air.
Owing to severe mechanical crisis and safety of their marines and commandos, the United States President had to call off the rescue mission.
Re: JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by gatiano(m): 5:46pm On Oct 02, 2014
you wanted to jimmy carter, you just kept forgetting. america has falling!
Re: JIMMY CARTER: 'I Could Have Wiped Iran Off The Map' by nairalife2013(m): 8:37pm On Oct 06, 2014
gatiano:
you wanted to jimmy carter, you just kept forgetting. america has falling!
angry undecided grin

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: The Beautiful Pictures Of Kenya's Westgate Shopping Mall Before Terroris / 17 Photos That Show The American Military’s Water-survival Training Is No Joke / S. Africa Sends 400 Firefighters To Go Fight Canada's Worst Fire Outbreak (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.