Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? (34333 Views)

10 Controversies Of 2018 In Nigeria: Millionaire Snake, Ganduje Dollars, Adeosun / Is Insertion Of Alpha Beta Consulting Justifiable In The Land Use Act? / Oil Block Revocation By President Buhari Causes Controversies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 20, 2017
koladebrainiac:

Oh is that how they safec faces in your tribe?your parents commit suicide. mumu dem dey court martial civilian for your eyes??

A civilian can be court martialed Sir.
I.e a civilian can be arrested n tried in court by soldiers as the judges.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 20, 2017
koladebrainiac:
lol how cum u know its rat poison? no wonder u guys stop ur kids from going to school just because of bogus rumor on monkeypox. you guys and ignorance eh

There was Monkeypox immunization crocodile temple run in ondo state.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 20, 2017
Michael004:
I will die like a solder like Adolf Hitler than to run like a coward ojukwu grin. To be sincere, it was a great shame. It is a bad record. The first ever solder to do a marathon race. What a great record grin

Hitler was never confirmed dead.

only particles of ''someones body" was found.

There was no DNA testing back den.

There's no confirmation on hitler

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by VillageWinch: 3:02am On Oct 21, 2017
WetinConsignMe:
No Nigerian politician living or dead has more controversies attached to them than the person of Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

What are the basis of these controversies?
To what extent are they justified?

Let this be the definitive thread on Awo's controversies.
So, even if you've presented your arguments elsewhere, present them here again for the record.

POLITELY present your points. Try to be courteous and respectful or at least avoid personal attacks on anyone.
No bigoted tribal posts please.

Please remember, Awo is a hero to most Yorubas and like a god to some, so try to be respectful.

Here are Chief Awolowo's controversies in chronological order (all these are in public domain. No input from me whatsoever):

1) That he introduced tribal politics into Nigeria in 1951 by, overnight, convincing a staunch NCNC allied Ibadan party to switch allegiance to AG in other to prevent Zik from becoming first premier of the West.
As Unongo put it:
"Zik’s party produced a Zik premiership in Western Nigeria and in the night, Awolowo went round to convince the Yoruba that, ‘you are a tribe. Your tribe is called Yoruba. Zik’s tribe is called Igbo. Do not allow this to happen. Whether you like me or not, it is better to have a Yoruba man to rule over Yorubaland’. Unfortunately, I feel, this was the starting point of our problems."

2) That he tried to orchestrate the first coup in Nigeria in 1963. For this he was sentenced to 10 years hard labour by a Yoruba judge after a long trial. A co-conspirator, Enahoro, later escaped to Ghana and confessed they were indeed planning a coup.

3) That the January 1966 coup plotters intended to release him from jail and install him as prime minister.

4) That only Ojukwu could have released Awo from Calabar prison as Gowon never had authority in the East and was never in any position to order the release of Awo or any other prisoner in the East.

5) That Awo promised Ojukwu personally, and later said publicly, that the West would secede if Biafra seceded.

6) That Gowon promised him rulership of a re-united Nigeria once the war was won. That he resigned from Gowon's administration in 1971 because Gowon reneged on that promise.

7) That he encouraged the starvation of Biafrans durring the war. That he made the statement: "Starvation is a legitimate weapon of war."

88) That he was the architect of the 20 pound policy after the war, which most Igbos considered cruel.

9) That he commited suicide by poison in 1987 after a co-conspirator gave Babangida a tape of them plotting a coup.
As Adebayo Adeyinka, a staunch Awoist, put it:
“Papa Awolowo was invited for a meeting with President Ibrahim Babangida who was then staying at Dodan Barracks which was the seat of power as at then...
He gave Papa some options and that was for him to be ready to face a court martial, be ready to go to a prison, or better still go on exile
At this stage Papa felt instead of allowing some ambitious khaki boy to mess him up he should just pack it in and call it a day, so Chief Awolowo decided to commit suicide so as to save himself from the ignominy of going to prison for the second time in his lifetime ."

10) That he was corrupt.
As Adeyinka put it (in trying to praise Awo):
“He was stupendously wealthy during his lifetime, infact there is no company at Oba Akran in Ikeja, Lagos, where he does not have at least a five percent equity. Dideolu Court in Ogba alone cannot be valued at less than N10 Billion, that was the place that he had in mind to be his Seat of power if he was elected as Nigeria’s President.
He owned Shonibare Estate but the man he was using as a front and who later went to prison over some issues which Awolowo himself was privy to eventually laid claim to the estate"
"He got all of this wealth due to a great measure of goodwill and tax waivers he gave to investors whenever they come to establish their business.
Anytime you buy a bottle of Coca-Cola you are enriching the Awolowo Dynasty."
He listed these blue chip companies as places the Awolowo family have commercial interests "just to mention just a few":
"Dunlop Nigeria Plc ,Guinness Nigeria Plc, Neimeth Pharmaceutical Nigeria Plc ,May and Baker Nigeria Plc ,Vitafoam Nigeria Plc ,Wahum Nigeria Limited ,CAP Nigeria Plc , International Paints of West Africa [IPWA], Berger Paints Nigeria Plc ,Berec Nigeria Limited ,Kabelmetal, Nigeria Bottling Company Plc ,Leventis Nigera Plc ,West African Portland Cement Company,[Lafarge ],Wema Bank Nigeria Plc, Scoa Nigeria Plc ,CFAO Nigeria Plc, Cadbury Nigeria Plc ,Wemaboard Estates, Odu’A Group, Livestock Feeds Nigeria Plc , Nigerian Breweries Plc"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
masseratti, 9jaDoc, T9ksy, giftq, Ovamboland, oladeebo, Dedetwo raumdeuter, VillageWinch, Leez, fergie001, PenSniper, GhanaMustGoo, PrecisionFx, Ofemannnu
IJOBA2, CaptainJeffry, DanseMacabre, tawa89,
GoldNiagara, AlPeter, Blue3k, Justiceleague1, Nalikedis
diadem10, logica, vivere, CeterisXVII, Uglyojuku, orisa37
lawani, omonnakoda, zenmaster

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Danites are members of DAN (Detribalised Association of Nigeria)
**We Danites try to see individuals for what they are, not tribe.
** We try to see people as human beings, as individuals, not groups or tribes. We are too big to be just tribe. We see ourselves as human beings, as black people, as Africans, as NIGERIANS, then, way down the list, tribe.
**We make posts against tribal bigotry and hatred and posts supporting detribalization and unity of Nigeria. While seeking solutions for her innumerable problems, we encourage love for our beloved country, Nigeria, and we encourage inter-tribal connections and cooperation.
**Other than these core values, any other views expressed by any Danite are his own views and do not reflect the views of any other Danite.
**DAN is not on the side of any person, group, or party.
**All Danites have equal right to use the Danist list to express their views or to rebutt other Danites' views.
**To become a Danite, you must indicate strong interest or be nominated by a Danite.
**Please paste this part of the post to appropriate posts or threads you wish to bring to the attention of other Danites.
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
illuminated93, Addy003, Ikhilor, GQman, neocortex, TheHistorian, Shaytun, sirjerry, WORDWORLD, amanda2013, wetinconsignme, freshest4live, ameri9ja, Okoroawusa, onward4life, Almaheed, genbuhari, Axeman2, lonelydora, LoveMachine, darkckUSA, mrdashing10, henitan24, amah91, obaamah, ediss, maximunimpact, maxiflexy, reel14, Clean2016, isalegan2, ilekokonit, xtianh, drabeey, jumper524, mrmystro, ahmed99, royaluc, dongrea, winterfell007, quotasystem, nabiz, deleyi20, mujtahida, stagger, Horllamideh, jnrremedy, litmus, shervydman, ikio, iykmann, limitless777, jakd, juneoctober, hati13, panafrican, musicwriter, naijatalktown, itsmrike, enice, rossikki, dokunbam, fiftynaira, goldbim, Frankyboy1, 9jaDoc, JaffyJoe, castiello, kitaatita, VillageWinch, GhanaMustGoo, oz4real83, rafsonnggmail, Kingspin, Chukazu, Juliearth, asunaobi, dabiton, mesoprogress, elog, Oselu28
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

First of all, I didn't know many of these things. I thought Awo commiting suicide was a bad joke.
I also thought Awo was a tribalist but quite uncorrupt politicuan.
Here is my take:
On #1 Awo is guilty. Unongo has no reason to be lying.
On#2 Awo is guilty that's why he was sentenced to 10 yrs.
On #3 I believe they wanted to make Awo PM.
On#4 of course Ojukwu released Awo.
On #5 For sure Awo promised Ojukwo West would
secede.
On#6 Of course Gowon promised him. Awo was never fir one Nigeria before.
In short everything here is correct.
Awo supporters, sorry, but that's the truth.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 3:12am On Oct 21, 2017
koladebrainiac:
lol see igbo n lies.. always blaming yorubas for their troubles n woes. coward tribe. whgen will u guys stand on ur two feet and stop blaming others. you lied in ur post.

As the moderator, I am obliged to inform u that it is not Igbos that said these things. Unongo is a Northerner, while Adeyinka is a westerner Awoist.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 3:20am On Oct 21, 2017
Michael004:
[s][/s]These people has started their lies again. You want zik to be premier of western region but do not allow other tribe to be your own premier. You never talked of how zik gave 96 positions to igbo people out of the available 104 positions in University College then. Your invented lie about him committing suicide makes you more stupid. Great awolowo will continue to torment you. Every time, you cry of how he had agreement with runnaway ojukwu but never for once bring out the agreement evidence signed by awoo and ojukwu. I tire for you people stupidity.

Maybe u misread the post.
Just to be clear, as the moderator, I am obliged to inform u that it is not Igbos that said these things. These are things in public domain. Unongo is a Northerner, while Adeyinka is a westerner Awoist.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 3:24am On Oct 21, 2017
9jaDoc:

I don't see how these are controversies. Everything here is long established fact.
Op your title should be: "Facts about Awolowo"

They are controversies in the sense that there are quarrels surrounding every point.
Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 4:00am On Oct 21, 2017
Michael004:
Don't mind them, a road opened wide and killed one person in the east yesterday, do not know why they didn't blame awolowo for that. Ozubulu massacre, I still wonder why awolowo's name was not mentioned. Nnamdi kanu is missing, don't know why they didn't go to awooo's grave to blame him.

Sir, once again, as the moderator, it is incumbent upon to inform u that it is not Igbos that said these things about Awo. These are things in public domain. Unongo is a Northerner, while Adeyinka is a westerner Awoist.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 4:09am On Oct 21, 2017
Ofemannnu:

Azikiwe was a chameleon tribalist..
pcwww.liv.ac.uk

Sir, as the moderator, it is incumbent upon me to inform u that this thread is not about Azikiwe.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 4:56am On Oct 21, 2017
wetinconsignme:
1) That he introduced tribal politics into Nigeria in 1951 by, overnight, convincing a staunch NCNC allied Ibadan party to switch allegiance to AG in other to prevent Zik from becoming first premier of the West.
As Unongo put it:
"Zik’s party produced a Zik premiership in Western Nigeria and in the night, Awolowo went round to convince the Yoruba that, ‘you are a tribe. Your tribe is called Yoruba. Zik’s tribe is called Igbo. Do not allow this to happen. Whether you like me or not, it is better to have a Yoruba man to rule over Yorubaland’. Unfortunately, I feel, this was the starting point of our problems."

2) That he tried to orchestrate the first coup in Nigeria in 1963. For this he was sentenced to 10 years hard labour by a Yoruba judge after a long trial. A co-conspirator, Enahoro, later escaped to Ghana and confessed they were indeed planning a coup.

3) That the January 1966 coup plotters intended to release him from jail and install him as prime minister.

4) That only Ojukwu could have released Awo from Calabar prison as Gowon never had authority in the East and was never in any position to order the release of Awo or any other prisoner in the East.

5) That Awo promised Ojukwu personally, and later said publicly, that the West would secede if Biafra seceded.

6) That Gowon promised him rulership of a re-united Nigeria once the war was won. That he resigned from Gowon's administration in 1971 because Gowon reneged on that promise.

7) That he encouraged the starvation of Biafrans durring the war. That he made the statement: "Starvation is a legitimate weapon of war."

88) That he was the architect of the 20 pound policy after the war, which most Igbos considered cruel.

9) That he commited suicide by poison in 1987 after a co-conspirator gave Babangida a tape of them plotting a coup.
“Papa Awolowo was invited for a meeting with President Ibrahim Babangida who was then staying at Dodan Barracks which was the seat of power as at then...
He gave Papa some options and that was for him to be ready to face a court martial, be ready to go to a prison, or better still go on exile
At this stage Papa felt instead of allowing some ambitious khaki boy to mess him up he should just pack it in and call it a day, so Chief Awolowo decided to commit suicide so as to save himself from the ignominy of going to prison for the second time in his lifetime ."

10) That he was corrupt.
“He was stupendously wealthy during his lifetime, infact there is no company at Oba Akran in Ikeja, Lagos, where he does not have at least a five percent equity. Dideolu Court in Ogba alone cannot be valued at less than N10 Billion, that was the place that he had in mind to be his Seat of power if he was elected as Nigeria’s President.
He owned Shonibare Estate but the man he was using as a front and who later went to prison over some issues which Awolowo himself was privy to eventually laid claim to the estate"
"He got all of this wealth due to a great measure of goodwill and tax waivers he gave to investors whenever they come to establish their business.
He listed these blue chip companies as places the Awolowo family have commercial interests "just to mention just a few":

I think most of these things are explainable and I don't think any of them necessarily disqualifies Awo from being a hero, especially to the Yorubas. I'll expatiate in my following posts.

masseratti, 9jaDoc, T9ksy, giftq, Ovamboland, oladeebo, Dedetwo raumdeuter, VillageWinch, Leez, fergie001, PenSniper, GhanaMustGoo, PrecisionFx, Ofemannnu
lawani, omonnakoda, zenmaster, koladebrainiac, Michael004, SHAKABOOM
Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 5:14am On Oct 21, 2017
As Unongo put it:
"Zik’s party produced a Zik premiership in Western Nigeria and in the night, Awolowo went round to convince the Yoruba that, ‘you are a tribe. Your tribe is called Yoruba. Zik’s tribe is called Igbo. Do not allow this to happen. Whether you like me or not, it is better to have a Yoruba man to rule over Yorubaland’. Unfortunately, I feel, this was the starting point of our
problems."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see how Awo can be faulted on this. Except in the sense that everyone was focused on removing the British, gaining independence, not tribe.
Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 5:19am On Oct 21, 2017
----------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Akintola colluded with Balewa to rig him out of power. Either he went into political oblivion or do something. He chose to do something.

1 Like

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by WetinConsignMe: 5:24am On Oct 21, 2017

Ifeajuna's intended speech to the nation says as much.
I don't see how it is Awo's fault.

1 Like

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Basic123: 7:36am On Oct 21, 2017
The two men igbo people hate out of their babyism and cry cryism grin

AWOLOWO-He ended their gra gra during the civil war and sent ojukwu on exile.Ojukwu later died of HIV/AIDs

TINUBU-He ended their ijaw overlord tenure in 2015 and killed their candidate dream in lagos in 2015.

Yorubas don dey deal with this guys tey tey.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Basic123: 7:47am On Oct 21, 2017
SHAKABOOM:

An afonja die like Adolf hitler?Hahahahaha!joke of the century cheesy
Ojukwu a general that ran away from war is more funny grin and a disgrace to igbo race grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Basic123: 7:51am On Oct 21, 2017
"He listed these blue chip companies as places the
Awolowo family have commercial interests "just to
mention just a few":
"Dunlop Nigeria Plc ,Guinness Nigeria Plc, Neimeth
Pharmaceutical Nigeria Plc ,May and Baker Nigeria Plc
,Vitafoam Nigeria Plc ,Wahum Nigeria Limited ,CAP
Nigeria Plc , International Paints of West Africa [IPWA],
Berger Paints Nigeria Plc ,Berec Nigeria Limited
,Kabelmetal, Nigeria Bottling Company Plc ,Leventis
Nigera Plc ,West African Portland Cement Company,
[Lafarge ],Wema Bank Nigeria Plc, Scoa Nigeria Plc
,CFAO Nigeria Plc, Cadbury Nigeria Plc ,Wemaboard
Estates, Odu’A Group, Livestock Feeds Nigeria Plc ,
Nigerian Breweries Plc""

ALL THIS COMPANIES ARE IN LAGOS

IGBO PEOPLE BELIEVE ALL THE ABOVE AND STILL BELIEVE THEY DEVELOPED LAGOS grin

THESE BIAFRANS ARE JUST SHOWING THE WORLD THAT CIVIL WARS LOSS IN THE HAND OF AWOLOWO REALLY PAIN THEM AND ARE LIVING A FRUSTRATED AND PAINED LIFE.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Origamist: 9:02am On Oct 21, 2017
WetinConsignMe:
As Unongo put it:
"Zik’s party produced a Zik premiership in Western Nigeria and in the night, Awolowo went round to convince the Yoruba that, ‘you are a tribe. Your tribe is called Yoruba. Zik’s tribe is called Igbo. Do not allow this to happen. Whether you like me or not, it is better to have a Yoruba man to rule over Yorubaland’. Unfortunately, I feel, this was the starting point of our
problems."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't see how Awo can be faulted on this. Except in the sense that everyone was focused on removing the British, gaining independence, not tribe.
Dude, I don't understand what your obsession with Awolowo is all about.
All these allegations have been interred on this board several times.You claim to be the moderator of the thread,yet you don't find it hypocritical to also play the role of a judge without taking time to conduct a comprehensive research on how tribalism crept into national politics.
I guess Zik & Samuel Akinsanya who claimed the latter was not allowed to assume the NYM vacant seat because he was an Ijebu Yoruba were not tribalists,but Awolowo who supported Ernest Ikoli (an Ijaw candidate)against a fellow Ijebu man deserves to be called the father of political tribalism,init?
And the nationalist who displaced Eyo Ita after returning to his region was no tribalist,right?
What objective person will accept d opinion of Unongo -the present Chairman of the Northern Elders Forum who is yet to condemn the activities of the herdsmen killing his people in Benue- about Awolowo,when we all know NCNC was in an alliance with the North then?
Stop being a closeted tribalist,man.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Michael004: 10:55am On Oct 21, 2017
[s]
PrecisionFx:

Awolowo said he was taking yoruba out of Nigeria, it's not a hidden or a secret fact, it was on national dailies both at home n in Britain n the western world.

Zik couldn't have given 96 job positions to igbos n 8 to other tribes in nigeria, he couldn't even do it if it were his private university both in the 60s and now. And let me remind u, there wasn't anything like quota back them..... it was a simple case of the best qualified candidates takes all.

A Fulani man during the same period zik won to the premier of the west, a Fulani man was voted in as the first mayor in enugu state.

Little children pls goan read history.
[/s]Give the name of the Fulani man. No amount of story would change what zik did in u University College. Or you want to tell me the 96 igbo were qualified for the post then?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Michael004: 10:58am On Oct 21, 2017
Origamist:

All these allegations have been interred on this board several times.You claim to be the moderator of the thread,yet you don't find it hypocritical to also play the role of a judge without taking time to conduct a comprehensive research on how tribalism crept into national politics.
I guess Zik & Samuel Akinsanya who claimed the latter was not allowed to assume the NYM vacant seat because he was an Ijebu Yoruba were not tribalists,but Awolowo who supported Ernest Ikoli (an Ijaw candidate)against a fellow Ijebu man deserves to be called the father of political tribalism,init?
And the nationalist who displaced Eyo Ita after returning to his region was no tribalist,right?
What objective person will accept d opinion of Unongo -the present Chairman of the Northern Elders Forum who is yet to condemn the activities of the herdsmen killing his people in Benue- about Awolowo,when we all know NCNC was in an alliance with the North then?
His head is paining him. Moderator my foot.
Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by T9ksy(m): 11:00am On Oct 21, 2017
^^^^ My brother, i beg leave those sore losers (ibos) to their eternal painment, jo.

As if we give a rat's a.r.se what they think ofAwo -their nemesis in yorubaland.
Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by 9jaDoc(f): 11:42am On Oct 21, 2017
WetinConsignMe:

I think most of these things are explainable and I don't think any of them necessarily disqualifies Awo from being a hero, especially to the Yorubas. I'll expatiate in my following posts.

Nigga was corrupt, was CAUGHT plotting two coups, and ended life as a suicide, and u still think he qualifies as hero. Na wa o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by 9jaDoc(f): 11:51am On Oct 21, 2017
Basic123:
"He listed these blue chip companies as places the
Awolowo family have commercial interests "just to
mention just a few":
"Dunlop Nigeria Plc ,Guinness Nigeria Plc, Neimeth
Pharmaceutical Nigeria Plc ,May and Baker Nigeria Plc
,Vitafoam Nigeria Plc ,Wahum Nigeria Limited ,CAP
Nigeria Plc , International Paints of West Africa [IPWA],
Berger Paints Nigeria Plc ,Berec Nigeria Limited
,Kabelmetal, Nigeria Bottling Company Plc ,Leventis
Nigera Plc ,West African Portland Cement Company,
[Lafarge ],Wema Bank Nigeria Plc, Scoa Nigeria Plc
,CFAO Nigeria Plc, Cadbury Nigeria Plc ,Wemaboard
Estates, Odu’A Group, Livestock Feeds Nigeria Plc ,
Nigerian Breweries Plc""

ALL THIS COMPANIES ARE IN LAGOS

IGBO PEOPLE BELIEVE ALL THE ABOVE AND STILL BELIEVE THEY DEVELOPED LAGOS grin

THESE BIAFRANS ARE JUST SHOWING THE WORLD THAT CIVIL WARS LOSS IN THE AND OF AWOLOWO REALLY PAIN THEM AND ARE LIVING A FRUSTRATED LIFE.

Are u all right my man? This your post makes no sense.
How does a company being in Lagos determine who owns it or anything? Secondly the list is there as part of evidence of Awo's corruption.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by 9jaDoc(f): 12:04pm On Oct 21, 2017
Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by IkpuMmadu: 12:07pm On Oct 21, 2017
WetinConsignMe:
No Nigerian politician living or dead has more controversies attached to them than the person of Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

What are the basis of these controversies?
To what extent are they justified?

Let this be the definitive thread on Awo's controversies.
So, even if you've presented your arguments elsewhere, present them here again for the record.

POLITELY present your points. Try to be courteous and respectful or at least avoid personal attacks on anyone.
No bigoted tribal posts please.

Please remember, Awo is a hero to most Yorubas and like a god to some, so try to be respectful.

Here are Chief Awolowo's controversies in chronological order (all these are in public domain. No input from me whatsoever):

As Unongo put it:

10) That he was corrupt.
"Dunlop Nigeria Plc ,Guinness Nigeria Plc, Neimeth Pharmaceutical Nigeria Plc ,May and Baker Nigeria Plc ,Vitafoam Nigeria Plc ,Wahum Nigeria Limited ,CAP Nigeria Plc , International Paints of West Africa [IPWA], Berger Paints Nigeria Plc ,Berec Nigeria Limited ,Kabelmetal, Nigeria Bottling Company Plc ,Leventis Nigera Plc ,West African Portland Cement Company,[Lafarge ],Wema Bank Nigeria Plc, Scoa Nigeria Plc ,CFAO Nigeria Plc, Cadbury Nigeria Plc ,Wemaboard Estates, Odu’A Group, Livestock Feeds Nigeria Plc , Nigerian Breweries Plc"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lalasticla, mynd44

TO me awolowo is a punk ass, tribalistic and turn coat....a lot of controversies trail him and I am not talking of the biggest hiest 20 pounds stuff

4 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by 9jaDoc(f): 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2017
Ofemannnu:

Azikiwe was a chameleon tribalist..wetinconsignme
pcwww.liv.ac.uk

Here is an earlier post:

My man, each side will claim they are the ones telling the truth. They will put their own spin on things, manipulate facts and pull things out of thing air.

BUT THERE ARE THINGS WE KNOW FOR A FACT. THESE WILL LEAD US TO THE LIKELY TRUTH.

Here are some things we know for a fact (every other thing is lies, conjectures, twisted truth, innuendos):
1)Awo was thinking tribe right from UK (started Egbe Omo Oduduwa)
2) If Zik were thinking like Awo he would have started "Nzuko Umu Ndiigbo".
3) But the last thing on Zik's mind was Igbo. He started his revolutionary activities in US focused on Africa and black people, not Igbo.
4) Zik started a newspaper in Ghana with which he helped fight for Ghana's independence: WEST AFRICAN Pilot. He later brought it to Nigeria.
5) Awo started a paper a decade later focused on Ibadan called Tribune
6) Zik was born in Zungeru, was based in the West and spoke all major Nigerian Languages.
7) Awo was born in Yoruba land, based in Yoruba land and only spoke Yoruba (besides English)

HOW DARE PEOPLE COMPARE THESE TWO??
HOW DARE THEY!!!!!

The Simple Truth:
All everybody wanted was independence and they knew Zik was the person leading it. No one was thinking tribe until Awo introduced it. Everybody alive then knew that was the truth.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by IkpuMmadu: 12:11pm On Oct 21, 2017
Michael004:
I will die like a solder like Adolf Hitler than to run like a coward ojukwu grin. To be sincere, it was a great shame. It is a bad record. The first ever solder to do a marathon race. What a great record grin

You die like a what...how did your soilders die...from black scorpion to afonja

The tinubus and Co that ran during nadeco to come back and Yoruba gave em highest title

Bros shift

1 Like

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Basic123: 12:43pm On Oct 21, 2017
9jaDoc:

Are u all right my man? This your post makes no sense.
How does a company being in Lagos determine who owns it or anything? Secondly the list is there as part of evidence of Awo's corruption.
Typical Igbo man thinking cool

1 Like

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by 9jaDoc(f): 12:45pm On Oct 21, 2017
Origamist:

My friend the "obesesoon", as u put it, with Awo is justified. How many Nigerians do u know were caught planning two coups, went to jail for one of them and committed suicide for the other. That's just ONE small aspect of controversies surrounding Awo.

Mention ONE controversy about Zik. These are made up things u pull out of thin air that nobody knows nor cares about. And everybody knows it. You are not fooling anybody.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by BankeSmalls(f): 12:48pm On Oct 21, 2017
Michael004:

Afonjas will rather run as fast as our legs can carry us than to fight for anything grin

3 Likes

Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by konoplyanka: 12:58pm On Oct 21, 2017
WetinConsignMe:

As the moderator, I am obliged to inform u that it is not Igbos that said these things. Unongo is a Northerner, while Adeyinka is a westerner Awoist.

Using a fictitious adeyinka adebayo who was obviously an IBO man writing craps about yoruba using a revered general's name shows your dubious intention. The adeyonka adebayo has long been debunked.

Any human with average IQ would know that Nigeria has always been tribal before the event. Did Awolowo caused the massacre of IBO's in the north in 1945?
Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by 9jaDoc(f): 1:44pm On Oct 21, 2017
WetinConsignMe:

Strictly for my own edification. At the bolded. Does any of u guys know any non-Yoruba who would say anything close to this about Awo?

Here is Unongo:

"Night came, and when day broke, Zik discovered his majority had collapsed. The Yoruba abandoned him and went to a strange person they did not know ideologically, that is Awolowo, on the basis of tribe.

...nobody questioned the fact as at then that Zik was the leader of Nigeria and then suddenly, having won victory, which would have been a great thing for Nigeria, in a predominantly Yoruba region, because the Yoruba were extremely sophisticated and they were the most developed part of Nigeria, and they voted on the basis of ideological orientation. Zik’s party produced a Zik premiership in Western Nigeria and in the night, Awolowo went round to convince the Yoruba that, ‘you are a tribe. Your tribe is called Yoruba. Zik’s tribe is called Igbo. Do not allow this to happen. Whether you like me or not, it is better to have a Yoruba man to rule over Yorubaland’. Unfortunately, I feel, this was the starting point of our problems.

So, he succeeded, and Zik was forced to go to his own place to become a little tribal leader, which was never what he wanted. That man called Zik was responsible for the revolution in Ghana, and he started his revolutionary activities in America. Zik was very keen on having a United States of Africa. He wanted nations within each state, that could create supra-powerful goals around which political actions could be taken.
Re: 10 Awolowo Controversies: Are They Justifiable? by Origamist: 1:58pm On Oct 21, 2017
Michael004:
[s][/s]Give the name of the Fulani man. No amount of story would change what zik did in u University College. Or you want to tell me the 96 igbo were qualified for the post then?
the Fulani man,Umaru Altine, was a Caliphate mole who was welcomed by Zik in his bid to cement the North-East alliance.
He was instrumental in helping Zik wrestle power from Eyo Ita.
Check --https://thebiafran./2015/04/13/how-sarduana-infiltrated-the-eastern-region-with-umaru-altine-the-first-mayor-of-enugu-part-1/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C9807240923

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Enugu: Asphalting Of Ikpa Road (Nru) In Nsukka (Pictures) / Niger Delta Avengers Refuse Dialogue With FG / Caption This Photo Of Oshiomhole And Kwankwaso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.