Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,837 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES (2253 Views)

Have You Ever Been Betrayed By Your Pet? Share Your Stories.. / Please My Puppy Is Dying From Parvo Virus Help Me To Save My Puppy / BEWARE!!! This Is Parvo Season. All You Need Too Know About The Deadly Virus! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by DipoAy(m): 9:39am On Oct 22, 2017
As a dog breeder or a Dog PAWrent, I believe our greatest fear right now is the dreaded Uncle Parvo.. A viral dog disease so deadly It kills in days and gives our pets only a 50% chance of survival. If you don't know Uncle Parvo and have never seen him, Lucky You. Keep doing what you're doing and try to keep everything clean.

Signs and symptoms of canine parvovirus include the following:
Bloody diarrhea (often severe)
Fever.
Lethargy (lack of energy)
Loss of appetite.(that's almost the first thing that happens)
Malaise (discomfort associated with illness)
Rapid weight loss.(this happens so fast, puppy goes from chubby to bony in hours)
Vomiting.(Mostly in whitish foam, more like its vomiting its own saliva in a foamy way)
Dehydration( when the eyes becomes sunken)

Now to the Aim of this thread, Some of us have had dogs that survived Parvo while some of us haven't been that lucky.. Let's share our stories, we all would learn and be informed. Those with Parvo survivors, what did you do??details on how you treated them. Items used, drugs, everything worthy enough to be known. Those that don't have survivors, how did it happen, have you been able to decipher how it came into your kennel or compounds?? What treatment methods did you try??drugs?

Treatment will include the following:
IV fluids to counter dehydration
Antibiotics to prevent septicemia
Probiotics to replenish the normal intestinal flora
Injectable vitamins, especially Vitamins B & C to help the immune system
Colostrum to provide antibacterial elements to fight the infection within the gut
Glucosamine to coat the intestines

Me : Activated Charcoal
Novax
Ors solution for rehydration
One metoclopromide or something like that
Cimetidine tabs too

That all I used and the result was just wow
0%..None survived

What's your Parvo story
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by nzaghibaba(m): 12:51pm On Oct 22, 2017
don't fink I have a story cos d virus came down on my pup like a hurricane. because she ad just 1day to live. stupid Virus......

1 Like

Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by DipoAy(m): 2:14pm On Oct 22, 2017
nzaghibaba:
don't fink I have a story cos d virus came down on my pup like a hurricane. because she ad just 1day to live. stupid Virus......

So you couldn't even start treatment??
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by Bobbieydeey: 4:49pm On Oct 22, 2017
Useless virus, killed my dog within one week.
Called the vet a little late, the smell was out of this world, gave her (eva) anti biotic, anti diarrhea injections and all it kept vomiting everything, tried food also vomited it after some mins... 4am went to check it again, I couldn't go to work mehn sad stuff. Btw my dog was a Caucasian/German shepherd mix

Gonna get a boerboel soon when I'm over Eva.

1 Like

Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by DipoAy(m): 6:16pm On Oct 22, 2017
Bobbieydeey:
Useless virus, killed my dog within one week.
Called the vet a little late, the smell was out of this world, gave her (eva) anti biotic, anti diarrhea injections and all it kept vomiting everything, tried food also vomited it after some mins... 4am went to check it again, I couldn't go to work mehn sad stuff. Btw my dog was a Caucasian/German shepherd mix

Gonna get a boerboel soon when I'm over Eva.

Before getting another pup I hope you know you have to make your house clean and disinfect ?? Against Parvo?? Unless the cycle would continue. The virus can actually survive in the compound till the next victim comes.. Disinfection is done with bleach
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by Bobbieydeey: 8:23pm On Oct 22, 2017
I already broke the cage sef, threw it away
DipoAy:

Before getting another pup I hope you know you have to make your house clean and disinfect ?? Against Parvo?? Unless the cycle would continue. The virus can actually survive in the compound till the next victim comes.. Disinfection is done with bleach
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by DipoAy(m): 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2017
Sorry man..
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by jayned: 10:51pm On Oct 22, 2017
DipoAy:
As a dog breeder or a Dog PAWrent, I believe our greatest fear right now is the dreaded Uncle Parvo.. A viral dog disease so deadly It kills in days and gives our pets only a 50% chance of survival. If you don't know Uncle Parvo and have never seen him, Lucky You. Keep doing what you're doing and try to keep everything clean.

Signs and symptoms of canine parvovirus include the following:
Bloody diarrhea (often severe)
Fever.
Lethargy (lack of energy)
Loss of appetite.(that's almost the first thing that happens)
Malaise (discomfort associated with illness)
Rapid weight loss.(this happens so fast, puppy goes from chubby to bony in hours)
Vomiting.(Mostly in whitish foam, more like its vomiting its own saliva in a foamy way)
Dehydration( when the eyes becomes sunken)

Now to the Aim of this thread, Some of us have had dogs that survived Parvo while some of us haven't been that lucky.. Let's share our stories, we all would learn and be informed. Those with Parvo survivors, what did you do??details on how you treated them. Items used, drugs, everything worthy enough to be known. Those that don't have survivors, how did it happen, have you been able to decipher how it came into your kennel or compounds?? What treatment methods did you try??drugs?

Treatment will include the following:
IV fluids to counter dehydration
Antibiotics to prevent septicemia
Probiotics to replenish the normal intestinal flora
Injectable vitamins, especially Vitamins B & C to help the immune system
Colostrum to provide antibacterial elements to fight the infection within the gut
Glucosamine to coat the intestines

Me : Activated Charcoal
Novax
Ors solution for rehydration
One metoclopromide or something like that

Cimetidine tabs too

That all I used and the result was just wow
0%..None survived

What's your Parvo story

My own puppy was 5 months old when he was attacked. it all started. with loss of appetite then the bloody poop and the foamy vomit but I didn't know it was parvo yet. I thought it had to do with his teething. When I took him to the vet, I failed to mention the foamy vomit cos I thought it was not relevant. I was very sure it was the teeth. The vet checked the teeth which were kind of loose and had blood at the base. He said it was normal. he then decided to take her temperature and noticed it was not normal( can't remember if it was high or low). He gave her a shot of vitamins and said it would help with the appetite.

It didn't work and it pooped the bloody poo again vomited the foamy vomit. When I called the vet again, he said it could be parvo. The next day, he placed him on IV fluids, antibiotics and vitamins (sorry I never got the names). The treatment was for about 5 days.

He suggested I gave him ORT and glucose water but he never drank them. so what worked for him was the iv fluids.
This dreadful episode lasted a week without my dog eating or drinking.

What I took from the experience is to give my doctor even the minutest information cos it might just be the key information.

Another thing is that the vet knew what he was doing and he is the kindest of them all. He was humane in his approach. treating my puppy like he was human. I know the love an affection really helped. He is my Incredible Dr Pol of Natgeo wild *wink*

And yes! I prayed, I prayed hard. So thank you Jesus.

The good news is that my dog made it!

3 Likes

Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by DipoAy(m): 1:23am On Oct 23, 2017
jayned:

My own puppy was 5 months old when he was attacked. it all started. with loss of appetite then the bloody poop and the foamy vomit but I didn't know it was parvo yet. I thought it had to do with his teething. When I took him to the vet, I failed to mention the foamy vomit cos I thought it was not relevant. I was very sure it was the teeth. The vet checked the teeth which were kind of loose and had blood at the base. He said it was normal. he then decided to take her temperature and noticed it was not normal( can't remember if it was high or low). He gave her a shot of vitamins and said it would help with the appetite.

It didn't work and it pooped the bloody poo again vomited the foamy vomit. When I called the vet again, he said it could be parvo. The next day, he placed him on IV fluids, antibiotics and vitamins (sorry I never got the names). The treatment was for about 5 days.

He suggested I gave him ORT and glucose water but he never drank them. so what worked for him was the iv fluids.
This dreadful episode lasted a week without my dog eating or drinking.

What I took from the experience is to give my doctor even the minutest information cos it might just be the key information.

Another thing is that the vet knew what he was doing and he is the kindest of them all. He was humane in his approach. treating my puppy like he was human. I know the love an affection really helped. He is my Incredible Dr Pol of Natgeo wild *wink*

And yes! I prayed, I prayed hard. So thank you Jesus.

The good news is that my dog made it!

Parvo struck your dog at 5months?? That dog is almost an adult already. I would cry if a 5months old dog dies. The no eating part was what my Vet told me first, she said force feeding them would only complicate the matter and i didnt bother either.
IV fluids worked for your dog.. Happy for you. I believe your pup's age also gave him an advantage. His immune system were already quite strong
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by DipoAy(m): 1:28am On Oct 23, 2017
IV fluids
Antibiotics
Vitamins
Treatment lasted 5 days
Love and prayers cheesy wink

....And he survived

First survivor story cheesy
jayned:

You left out love and prayers *wink*
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by jayned: 7:20am On Oct 23, 2017
DipoAy:

Parvo struck your dog at 5months?? That dog is almost an adult already. I would cry if a 5months old dog dies. The no eating part was what my Vet told me first, she said force feeding them would only complicate the matter and i didnt bother either.
IV fluids worked for your dog.. Happy for you. I believe your pup's age also gave him an advantage. His immune system were already quite strong

Yes the age was the greatest advantage.

1 Like

Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by jayned: 7:21am On Oct 23, 2017
DipoAy:
IV fluids Antibiotics Vitamins Treatment lasted 5 days
....And he survived
First survivor story
You left out love and prayers *wink*

2 Likes

Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by Namdeenero(m): 2:16pm On Oct 23, 2017
Haven't had a parvo case personally but I've witnessed it in my friends rottweiler puppy. He got the dog one day and the very next day the dog was down with parvo, luckily for him he started treatment almost immediately and the pup survived. Later the stubborn disease migrated to the next victim which was his Caucasian puppy and we almost lost that one too but the treatment really helped, both dogs are doing really well now
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by DipoAy(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2017
Namdeenero:
Haven't had a parvo case personally but I've witnessed it in my friends rottweiler puppy. He got the dog one day and the very next day the dog was down with parvo, luckily for him he started treatment almost immediately and the pup survived. Later the stubborn disease migrated to the next victim which was his Caucasian puppy and we almost lost that one too but the treatment really helped, both dogs are doing really well now

Do you by any chance know what drugs he used and the process
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by Namdeenero(m): 7:17pm On Oct 23, 2017
DipoAy:

Do you by any chance know what drugs he used and the process
My mind wasn't there but I'm sure of I.V fluids and oral drip
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by egorov(m): 8:20pm On Oct 23, 2017
There's a drug for parvo now. Its both a preventive and curative drug. But quite expensive. 5K for 50mls. U can use as much as 300mls for your Dog to be Ok. Depending on the age. Its works well
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by DipoAy(m): 9:25pm On Oct 23, 2017
egorov:
There's a drug for parvo now. Its both a preventive and curative drug. But quite expensive. 5K for 50mls. U can use as much as 300mls for your Dog to be Ok. Depending on the age. Its works well

What's the name please
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by Jungpablo: 2:45pm On Dec 20, 2021
egorov:
name please
Re: PARVO THREAD : Sharing Your STORIES by aanisah7z: 6:08pm On Dec 24, 2021
okay

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With The Nigerian Local Breed Of Dog? / Very Agile And aggressive 14 Months Boerbul For Sale @ 70k / Puppies For Sale In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.