Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,038 members, 7,821,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria (4953 Views)

President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) / Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign / This Is Why Nigeria Was Handed Over To The North By Britain In 1960 - FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Basic123: 9:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
.The 3 cities
established by the britain in Nigeria are Enugu,port
Harcourt and Kaduna.That is why those three cities
dont have very old districts like kano city and Ibadan
city.

1.PORT HARCOURT 1912/1913

The area that became Port Harcourt in 1912 was
before that part of the farmlands of the Diobu village
group of the Ikwerre, an Igbo sub-group (a
controversial claim). [16] The colonial administration
of Nigeria created the port to export coal from the
collieries of Enugu located 243 kilometres (151 mi)
north of Port Harcourt, [17] to which it was linked by a
railway called the Eastern Line, also built by the
British.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Harcourt

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Basic123: 9:30pm On Oct 24, 2017
ENUGU 1909

In 1900 the Southern Nigeria Protectorate was
established by the colonial administration of the
British Empire . The discovery of coal by the
colonialists led to the building of the Eastern Line
railway to carry coal from the inland city to the port
of Port Harcourt , a city created for this purpose
located 151 miles (243 km) south[11] of what was
called Enugu Coal Camp. Enugu was then renamed
simply Enugu and developed as one of the few cities
in West Africa created from European contact. By
1958 Enugu had over 8,000 coal miners. As of 2005
there are no significant coal mining activities left in
the city.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enugu

1 Like

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Paperwhite(m): 9:43pm On Oct 24, 2017
Oh my 042! God bless this city.

8 Likes

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Basic123: 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2017
KADUNA 1913

Kaduna was founded by the British in 1913 and
became the capital of Nigeria's former Northern
Region in 1917. [3] It retained this status until 1967.
The first British governor of Northern Nigeria, Sir
Frederick Lugard, chose the present site due to its
proximity to the Lagos-Kano Railway. [4] Sir Ahmadu
Bello, the premier of Northern Nigeria (1954-1966),
was assassinated in Kaduna on January 15, 1966 in
an all Igbo military coup. This contributed to the
Nigerian Civil War (1967-1970).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaduna

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by unohbethel(m): 10:03pm On Oct 24, 2017
Basic123:
KADUNA 1913 Kaduna was founded by the British in 1913 and became the capital of Nigeria's former Northern Region in 1917. [3] It retained this status until 1967. The first British governor of Northern Nigeria, Sir Frederick Lugard, chose the present site due to its proximity to the Lagos-Kano Railway. [4] Sir Ahmadu Bello, the premier of Northern Nigeria (1954-1966), was assassinated in Kaduna on January 15, 1966 in an all Igbo military coup. This contributed to the Nigerian Civil War (1967-1970). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaduna
in the first one, u said the claims about ikwere been igbos are controversial but in ur last one, where u said the coup was an all igbo coup.u didnt say also that its controversial..i just dey look u. hypocrisy will kill u one day.see the way i dey look at ur HYPOCRISY...

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by ewigmee: 10:10pm On Oct 24, 2017
What has the coup to do with the write up - off point.

3 Likes

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by TI1919(m): 10:21pm On Oct 24, 2017
cool
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by cheruv: 10:51pm On Oct 24, 2017
Stinking hypocrisy!!!

If the ikwerres being Igbo is subject to controversy... Then the '66 coup is also subject to controversy.
In my view.. Until the Anioma are reunited with the SE, the Jan '66 coup should always be known as an SS coup

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by 1shortblackboy: 1:14am On Oct 25, 2017
cheruv:
Stinking hypocrisy!!!

If the ikwerres being Igbo is subject to controversy... Then the '66 coup is also subject to controversy.
In my view.. Until the Anioma are reunited with the SE, the Jan '66 coup should always be known as an SS coup
to say that the 66 coup is an igbo coup is definitely controversial but what do u mean by until the Anioma are reunited with the SE, who disunited them before? and dont tell me its because they were carved out into delta state o.

2 Likes

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by devindevin2000: 2:14am On Oct 25, 2017
unohbethel:
in the first one, u said the claims about ikwere been igbos are controversial but in ur last one, where u said the coup was an all igbo coup.u didnt say also that its controversial..i just dey look u. hypocrisy will kill u one day.see the way i dey look at ur HYPOCRISY...

You should know he is an afonja; wicked things, causing division amongst Easterners.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by leofab(f): 2:40am On Oct 25, 2017
Yeye journalism; its controversial while owning Port Harcourt but all Igbo when it's a coup.. shame on you all.. we know our brothers no matter the pretence.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by fr3do(m): 2:43am On Oct 25, 2017
1shortblackboy:
to say that the 66 coup is an igbo coup is definitely controversial but what do u mean by until the Anioma are reunited with the SE, who disunited them before? and dont tell me its because they were carved out into delta state o.

the brain behind the coup, Major Chukwuma Nzeogwu was from Okpanam in current day Delta State.

5 Likes

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by fr3do(m): 2:45am On Oct 25, 2017
this is how they go about radicalizing themselves with hate towards the Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:31am On Oct 25, 2017
Basic123:
KADUNA 1913

Kaduna was founded by the British in 1913 and
became the capital of Nigeria's former Northern
Region in 1917. [3] It retained this status until 1967.
The first British governor of Northern Nigeria, Sir
Frederick Lugard, chose the present site due to its
proximity to the Lagos-Kano Railway. [4] Sir Ahmadu
Bello, the premier of Northern Nigeria (1954-1966),
was assassinated in Kaduna on January 15, 1966 in
an all Igbo military coup. This contributed to the
Nigerian Civil War (1967-1970).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaduna
It was not an all Igbo coup. For instance, Wale Ademoyega was one of the plotters.

You should also have pointed out that the coup plotter's stated number 1 aim was to make Obafemi Awolowo Prime Minister, a post then held by Tafawa Balewa. Awolowo was then in jail for allegedly plotting a coup in 1963.

5 Likes

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Basic123: 6:34am On Oct 25, 2017
unohbethel:
I quoted from Wikipedia.You can visit the site and edit it to your taste.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 25, 2017
I once read that even Maiduguri was created/established by the British in 1907 for administrative and military purposes. Why is it not on this list? Op explain to these guys that these are not your write-ups but that you "downloaded" from wikipedia without editing. smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 25, 2017
mansakhalifa:
I once read that even Maiduguri was created/established by the British in 1907 for administrative and military purposes. Why is it not on this list? Op explain to these guys that these are not your write-ups but that you "downloaded" from wikipedia without editing. smiley

And so? What if the OP first edited it in Wikipedia before posting it on Nairaland.

All this fear fear post because of of Southern Governor's Forum. Na wa for tribalism!

1 Like

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Basic123: 6:54am On Oct 25, 2017
igbodefender:

And so? What if the OP first edited it in Wikipedia before posting it on Nairaland.

All this fear fear post because of of Southern Governor's Forum. Na wa for tribalism!
Go back and edit it if its that easy.

I just copied and pasted.simple.
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by SHAKABOOM: 7:02am On Oct 25, 2017
fr3do:
this is how they go about radicalizing themselves with hate towards the Igbo.
Who cares if they radicalize demselves or not..If they radicalize demselves with hate then we igbos should radicalize ourselves also with hate..Hate begets Hate angry

2 Likes

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by AburoBuhari: 7:07am On Oct 25, 2017
k
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:12am On Oct 25, 2017
#SouthernGovernorsForum
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 25, 2017
@igbodefender you did NOT get my point at all.
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 25, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@igbodefender you did NOT get my point at all.

My bad, Sir. Just saw the quotation marks. My apologies. OP's post is so annoying.
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Basic123: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2017
SHAKABOOM:

Who cares if they radicalize demselves or not..If they radicalize demselves with hate then we igbos should radicalize ourselves also with hate..Hate begets Hate angry
hmmmm,hate begets hate,

Radio biafra comes to mind.
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by EmeeNaka: 7:43am On Oct 25, 2017
unohbethel:
what I think is controversial in OP is that of Port Harcourt being created from a land of Diobu family since Okirika people keep claiming port Harcourt, likewise other groups.

1 Like

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Guestlander: 8:17am On Oct 25, 2017
Therefore Enugu is no man's land. Heheheh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by fr3do(m): 10:15am On Oct 25, 2017
SHAKABOOM:

we should enlighten ourselves but not give into hate,
arming ourselves, setting up vigilantes and using legislature to tackle herdsmen is enlightenment.
killing just any aboki is hate.
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Funjosh(m): 10:59am On Oct 25, 2017
shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by bakynes(m): 11:11am On Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing controversial about the Coup,it was a majority Igbo military officers Coup with a few Soldiers from other tribes. The main masterminders of the coup were Igbos so what should they have called it.
Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Ballmer: 11:35am On Oct 25, 2017
ewigmee:
What has the coup to do with the write up - off point.
. You Igbo love to hide your atrocities but if it was Buhari traveling abroad or commissioning a project you will not allow us rest, telling how he is a bigot bla bla bla. Wetin de concern travel n project with bigotry. Na the same connect the cities n Igbo coup.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by 24SEVEN: 1:05pm On Oct 25, 2017
EmeeNaka:
what I think is controversial in OP is that of Port Harcourt being created from a land of Diobu family since Okirika people keep claiming port Harcourt, likewise other groups.

You sabi something, you go better school.. others are blinded by sentiments and bigotry. cool

1 Like

Re: The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria by Basic123: 2:01pm On Oct 25, 2017
Guestlander:
Therefore Enugu is no man's land. Heheheh.
Most perfect example of it,in Nigeria context.However,the technical definition of no mans land is a land under dispute.!

Kaduna,Enugu and PH were non existent before british came!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

GEJ Served IBB And Abacha 1993-98. As MKO And Saro Wiwa Cry For Justice / Aminu Tambuwal Heading For Second Term / Onyejeocha, Ekwunife, NASS Dissociate Selves From "Fictitious" Online Award Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.