Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign (20354 Views)

Anambra Governorship Election: APGA Commence Local Government Campaign Tour / President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) / Udom Emmanuel Receiving Bukola Saraki In Government House, Uyo (More Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by naptu2: 1:59pm On Apr 15, 2019
Nigerian women warned not to come to Britain in government campaign

Peter Stubley, Catherine Wylie
The Independent15 April 2019, 05:57 GMT+1

The UK government is backing an advertising campaign urging Nigerian women and girls to find jobs at home instead of “risking a life of modern slavery” in Britain.

Posters are to be placed in schools, churches and marketplaces in an attempt to reduce human trafficking, sexual exploitation and forced labour.

They focus on “aspirational stories of women who have established successful careers in Nigeria”, according to the Department for International Development.

The Not for Sale campaign is supported by UK aid and involves the National Crime Agency and the UK’s Joint Border Task Force as well as Nigerian law enforcement.

One of the stories featured in the posters, TV and radio adverts relates to Gift Jonathan, a single mother who was raped and tortured while attempting to get to Europe but has since returned to Nigeria and found work as a pastry chef.

“Three years ago, I was a single mother with two children living with my widowed mother,” she said.

“Things were so hard that when my friend told me about travelling to Germany, guy I moved! We only made it to Libya. I was sold, raped and tortured. I saw many Nigerians die including my friend Iniobong.

“When I made it to Nigeria, I met with people who registered me in a vocational centre and encouraged me.

“Today I’m a baker in Benin making enough money to take care of my family. My boys will not grow up to be ashamed of their mother. My name is Gift Jonathan and I am not for sale.”

Nigeria has one of the highest figures for modern slavery in Africa and is one of the top five countries of origin for modern slavery victims reaching Europe and the UK.

In 2018 alone, 208 Nigerian nationals were identified as potential victims of trafficking in the UK.

International development secretary Penny Mordaunt said: “Modern slavery is one of the greatest human rights abuses of our time.

“UK aid is working in partnership with the National Crime Agency and Nigerian law enforcement to stop it at its source.

“Together we are tackling the root causes of dangerous migration to prevent vulnerable women and girls from becoming targeted by traffickers.

“The benefits of this will be far-reaching – preventing regional instability and helping us tackle modern slavery here in the UK.”

Press Association

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nigerian-women-warned-not-come-045735458.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by naptu2: 2:00pm On Apr 15, 2019
Reactions

1 Share

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 15, 2019
Your boys won't be ashamed of you, they would be proud of you for trying to get out of this death trap called 9ja..

Gone are those days when one can say "Home is better".

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by kunleweb: 2:10pm On Apr 15, 2019
Om
Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Gsteve01(m): 2:17pm On Apr 15, 2019
No be by force na.

TO RENT OR BUY HOUSE, CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by BruncleZuma: 2:19pm On Apr 15, 2019
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by iswallker(m): 2:19pm On Apr 15, 2019
The campaign should rather be to deny visas to our thieving politicians who made the country unlivable in the first place.

Double standard everywhere you look.. kiss

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Nobody: 2:19pm On Apr 15, 2019
how is that my konsign, still brooding d airtel change of night plan to 250mb
Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by RZArecta2(m): 2:19pm On Apr 15, 2019
Suffering under Buhari’s maladministration is another form of slavery, it’s better to work and be paid properly in the UK cool

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by anochuko01(m): 2:19pm On Apr 15, 2019
JI
Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by RTSC: 2:20pm On Apr 15, 2019
No wonder the percentage of Nigerians going on self funded study in the UK has dropped.
Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Aderewah: 2:20pm On Apr 15, 2019
So much hatred in those comments. So much discrimination and humiliation. Can then talk about Russians or Americans these way. We are all destroying this country by our actions and in actions and hoping we can run away somewhere that majority have used theur brains. I hope everybody country ban Nigerians. When we have nowhere to go, we'd agree to think.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by luvmijeje(f): 2:20pm On Apr 15, 2019
I'm angry,embarrassed and affronted but it will be wrong of me to take it out on the UK media and citizens.

I know the living situation in this country is bad but going to a place you are not wanted or welcomed is far worst.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by nijabazaar: 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2019
chai

If our country is good would we be receiving this embarrassment!

And the Brits had a right to protest about the surge of immigrants totheir tiny island. Imagine 50 million chinese coming tolago in aspace of two years, We will all protest and start killing them

On a serious note, our population explosion is a muthafuvcking time-bomb

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by TwoBottles: 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2019
When you read the comments of enlightened people, you 'd know. Apt and straight to the point.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by lordkush: 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2019
Apc is destroying Nigeria

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by engrj(m): 2:22pm On Apr 15, 2019
DEAR ALL, KINDLY READ, DONATE AND SHARE.

My Mother needs N12M for a kidney transplant in India. ( We have 1m Naira donated by Mr. Governor of Edo state) 

My mother Akhare Flora Olochemeuan a staff of Ikpoba Okha Local council Edo state, a 48years old woman from Edo state was diagnosed of end stage rena failure ( kidney disease) around April last year. She is a single mother of one. Now she has her only child for survival. She has been going for dialysis since April last year. Each dialysis cost around N43,000 to N100,000 plus injections and sometimes blood transfusion. (twice a week)

She was told by her Dr at Lagos State teaching hospital LASUTH that the only lasting solution for her ill health is to go for a kidney transplant. This can be done here in Lagos State teaching hospital LASUTH or India. 
Please we are begging everyone to contribute even though is just N1,000. 
Note: N1000 from 11000 people is eleven million Naira. 
Please help save a Life.

We have all the necessary documents to backup this story. Thank you and God Almighty Bless you all Amen. 
For verification, this is a link to on national newspapers.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/kidney-disease-patients-husband-flees.html

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/11/man-seeks-n8m-for-mothers-kidney-transplant/amp/

Account name :AKHARE FLORA O.
Bank Name: First Bank.
ACCOUNT NUMBER 2009301003.

For questions or update pls visit:

https://www.nairaland.com/4443372/please-save-mothers-life-shes/6

+2348o-649455-76

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by sotall(m): 2:22pm On Apr 15, 2019
Shitt hole country

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 15, 2019
Nigerian women and feminists are in shock.no more UK visas for you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by RTSC: 2:23pm On Apr 15, 2019
Their concerns about breeding should be directed to the Middle Eastern immigrants.

Those guys breed like rabbits when they immigrate.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is Britain does not want us

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by thewatcher2020: 2:24pm On Apr 15, 2019
“The Africans were big on the slave trade”

The lies these set of deluded western citizens tell themselves every night to go to bed in peace.

That said, until we realize that the west cheated Africa through and through before we can start talking about combating migration and issues like that. The wars in African nations today aren’t fought with bows and arrows but with super firearms produced and supplied by Europe and America waging proxy wars against the continent to continue to deplete its resources without hindrance.

The state of Africa today with the puppet leaders is enough reason for any sane African to want out. It’s sad that this is happening to the African child in 2019. A continent filled with more resources than it can consume but perpetually down-throttled to enable the west stay on top.

Africa divided along religious/tribal lines is the worst legacy of colonisation. Can we have a debate on how ALL whites should vacate Africa and all blacks who willingly travelled to the west should vacate same? This conversation is beyond what I can sit down to type at a go but trust me, Africa can be fixed if 60% of its citizens are willing to damn the consequences and tackle this issue head on. A 50 year plan would definitely yield results in mid century from now if action plan is strategically put in place to check the excesses of the leadership.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 15, 2019
The Africans were always big on slave trade. They were the supplier of slaves to the American Market in the 17th and 18th century. Nothing has changed.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Avater0147(m): 2:25pm On Apr 15, 2019
Please tell me the different between this Buhari Nigeria and been taken to the UK to work as a slave?
Na UK we dey talk about here not libya or Saudi arabia o na uk
bros naija go dry if they have the opportunity
Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Nobody: 2:25pm On Apr 15, 2019
Wetin concern me!
I wan rick olange...

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Pentasoft1978: 2:26pm On Apr 15, 2019
When I was a kid growing up in Cross River state....Cameroonian were always trooping into cross river , begging and queuing to be admitted into our schools , we had a lot of them in our schools back then, but today, the reverse is the case....you can not reap where you did not sow...UK made their home what it is today, there are human like us , they are not gods, they don't have two heads... You want to run away form your problems instead of confronting them...is high time we tell that coconut head man in Aso Rock that his style of leadership is making Nigeria a disgrace in the community of Nations.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by nijabazaar: 2:26pm On Apr 15, 2019
Aderewah:
So much hatred in those comments. So much discrimination and humiliation. Can then talk about Russians or Americans these way. We are all destroying this country by our actions and in actions and hoping we can run away somewhere that majority have used theur brains. I hope everybody country ban Nigerians. When we have nowhere to go, we'd agree to think.

The russians dont come to stay forever, the russians in their large numbers buy up posh real estate thereby contributing immensely to GDP. ow much posh real estate does an average Nigeria buy, no bethe corrupt politicans manage to buy a few??

How would you feel, if 20 million Chinese, Malay and Filipinos crowd up Lagos, Rivers, and other cities?

answer this question in all honesty.

I kinda like this treatment by the Brits. Maybe we will have sense to rebel against our larcenous president and co

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by ojun50(m): 2:27pm On Apr 15, 2019
Nairaland girls are nt for sale
Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by Baawaa(m): 2:27pm On Apr 15, 2019
May God destroy those thieves and rogues will calls leaders

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Women Warned Not To Come To Britain In Government Campaign by ednut1(m): 2:27pm On Apr 15, 2019
I love the whites. They can go to australia.usa canada etc enslave and take over those lands. But want people to stop coming to theirs. Over 2 million irish pple fled to the usa without visa. Ogun kill una there

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ikeja Electricity Distribution Apologises To Customers Over Zero Power Supply / Muslim Group Urges FG To Declare Fulani Herdsmen Terrorists / Women Protest In Ondo Over Dino Melaye’s Attack On Remi Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.