Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,008 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore (27874 Views)

Volvo Becomes The First Automaker To Limit Its Cars' Top Speed To 112 Miles Per / Innoson: 10 Things To Know About The Automaker / With N3.6million, This Chinese Automaker Will Build You This 3-D Car In 3 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by constance500: 7:26am On Oct 26, 2017
So dey sell beans now
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by Perge(m): 7:36am On Oct 26, 2017
Abudu2000:
isn't he right you fool? If you want to claim right then prove it with actions no words....
I'll gladly take you and your likes for slaves if you all sense of decency and living are tied to the whiteman.
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by manikspears: 7:45am On Oct 26, 2017
clevadani:
This is really impressive.
Meanwhile in Nigeria we're still looking for constant electricity

Sheybi na places where they get transformer go dey find constant electricity.
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by ademoladeji(m): 7:49am On Oct 26, 2017
hisgrace090:

No problem, you still have a second chance even more.

Not ruling that out
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by feranmiajana: 7:50am On Oct 26, 2017
Una well done
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by AlanSugar(m): 7:58am On Oct 26, 2017
clevadani:

You mean any electricity! I haven't seen power in my area for the past three days now. Sad.
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by tunary(m): 8:10am On Oct 26, 2017
RZArecta:
you read hard-core science texts, what did you do with it ?
hahahahahahaha
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by cool318(m): 8:21am On Oct 26, 2017
clevadani:

And every Four years Elections to campaign and enter to Siphon Money.
Nigeria is a Huge joke
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by cool318(m): 8:28am On Oct 26, 2017
Austindark:

This is not about low self esteem man, it is the painful truth even an African problem generally.

Nigerian leaders instead of interpreting the law for enhancement of the economy and development resort to tribalism, ethnic chauvinism, and religious bigotry.

They encourage stupidity, laziness and slavery I to metaphysics by telling the masses to send in best pastors (god of men) to pray for the economy while the white people are making aggressive economic reformations and innovations.
In short, let me just end it here rather than starting my day in an angry way

You don't need to say much , we all know what our problems are. They impoverish the masses, make them gullible miscreants, use them during elections and dump their sorry a. rse. Its quite a pity that they feign ignorance of the speed the outside world is advancing.
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by KingMicky3286: 8:32am On Oct 26, 2017
Maradona98:

Maybe they can, but you won't buy naija products.
Na lie , Nigeria can produce
Evil charms.
Wickedness
Nigeria can corruptions

Add yours what you think that Nigeria can produce..
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by ivolt: 8:55am On Oct 26, 2017
Austindark:

This is not about low self esteem man, it is the painful truth even an African problem generally.

Nigerian leaders instead of interpreting the law for enhancement of the economy and development resort to tribalism, ethnic chauvinism, and religious bigotry.

They encourage stupidity, laziness and slavery to metaphysics by telling the masses to send in best pastors (god of men) to pray for the economy while the white people are making aggressive economic reformations and innovations.
In short, let me just end it here rather than starting my day in an angry way

The bullshit every layman on the street spouts as excuse
for African underdevelopment is "bad leaders".
I found such expression to be meaningless.

It is the time we throw of that useless line of thinking. A country's development
depends on the citizens. If the citizens love the current state of their country
(as most Nigerians currently do), then it remains stagnant.

Leaders are not magicians or angels, they are a product of the Nigerian populace which
celebrates mediocrity, tag corrupt people as "sharp", teaches short-sightedness
and has a strong love for magical expectations without work.

The latter part of your post address some of the secondary problems of
development but without a change in orientation of an average Nigerian we shouldn't
expect any meaningful progress.
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by ZaraGift: 9:13am On Oct 26, 2017
Perge:
Don't be a dingbat! Always keep your impoverished low self esteem to yourself.

He said the truth
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by ibkgab001: 9:27am On Oct 26, 2017
RZArecta:
oyinbo people pass us whether we like it or not

Yes we know next
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by Kollins12: 9:54am On Oct 26, 2017
While the West & Asia explore deep into science and inventions ,Nigerians and other Africans explore VOODOO,ritual killings and human sacrifice
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by Exciton(m): 10:26am On Oct 26, 2017
RZArecta:
you read hard-core science texts, what did you do with it ?

You obviously don't understand what I wrote. "You" meant Nigerians.

As regards your question, I have to answer as it is quite insulting to all sub-saharan africans since you inherently mean we are intellectual handicaps. I do research to make more efficient organic based LEDs + perovskite thin film solar cells + flexible & wearable sensors.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by talk2percy(m): 10:39am On Oct 26, 2017
But there are two cars in the whole world -Mercedes and the rest, Toyota inclusive!
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by 400billionman: 10:41am On Oct 26, 2017
half of all cars on Nigerian roads are Toyota.

God bless Toyota.

God bless me.

Nnah, menz, I like mint Hummer bus..
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by 400billionman: 10:43am On Oct 26, 2017
talk2percy:
But there are two cars in the whole world -Mercedes and the rest, Toyota inclusive!

Smh.

Which Mercedes from 2012 model have you driven ?

Or you talking about V boot ?
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by Maradona98: 10:57am On Oct 26, 2017
KingMicky3286:

Na lie , Nigeria can produce
Evil charms.
Wickedness
Nigeria can corruptions

Add yours what you think that Nigeria can produce..

Shoes
Cars
Bags
Etc
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by ddjay: 11:23am On Oct 26, 2017
RZArecta:
Dem go begin make Android fone nao
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by Ugbavihi: 5:07pm On Oct 26, 2017
Toyota, One of the most affordable vehicle in naijja, if not for them, by now na billions we for de pay for cars
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by AgentOfAllah: 2:38pm On Nov 06, 2017
Exciton:

You obviously don't understand what I wrote. "You" meant Nigerians.

As regards your question, I have to answer as it is quite insulting to all sub-saharan africans since you inherently mean we are intellectual handicaps. I do research to make more efficient organic based LEDs + perovskite thin film solar cells + flexible & wearable sensors.

Hi Exciton!
I started reading your posts when I saw your moniker (it's a dead giveaway!). This post confirms my suspicion that you're an LED bloke! It's refreshing to find someone working on LEDs. Although, I've had collaborations with some core Perovskite guys, My focus is on inorganic III-Nitrides for Deep UV applications.

I once did Optical and and carrier dynamics studies on a group of Perovskite materials (lead-iodide based), and they were extremely frustrating to pin down because they were very susceptible to thermal degradation. I know the study of Perovskite is an exciting, reinvigorated field, and they are especially notable for their energetic tunability, which, in principle, makes them great for solar cell applications. However, I fear they are not very stable in the long term, compared to their established inorganic counterparts. I'm not a Perovskite expert, so indulge my ignorant question: Do you think they can replace traditional solutions, or they'll just augment them?

BTW, is your intended application for water splitting or PV?

Sorry if my question is broad...like I said, I'm not really an expert.
Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by Exciton(m): 3:21pm On Nov 06, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Hi Exciton!
I started reading your posts when I saw your moniker (it's a dead giveaway!). This post confirms my suspicion that you're an LED bloke! It's refreshing to find someone working on LEDs. Although, I've had collaborations with some core Perovskite guys, My focus is on inorganic III-Nitrides for Deep UV applications.

I once did Optical and and carrier dynamics studies on a group of Perovskite materials (lead-iodide based), and they were extremely frustrating to pin down because they were very susceptible to thermal degradation. I know the study of Perovskite is an exciting, reinvigorated field, and they are especially notable for their energetic tunability, which, in principle, makes them great for solar cell applications. However, I fear they are not very stable in the long term, compared to their established inorganic counterparts. I'm not a Perovskite expert, so indulge my ignorant question: Do you think they can replace traditional solutions, or they'll just augment them?

BTW, is your intended application for water splitting or PV?

Sorry if my question is broad...like I said, I'm not really an expert.

Wow! A nairalander working in optoelectronics, using MBE techniques and ultrafast spectroscopy. What a wonderful surprise!

You can also use perovskites in water splitting... basically as a photo activating catalyst, due to it's tunable bandgap and long charge carrier correlation length, to provide the much needed electrons (well, as radicals) to kickstart the water splitting process.

Well, it shares the same stability problems with organic conducting polymer materials. Hopefully, it's a synthesis issue that would be surmounted over time... like the toxicity issue that has basically been overcome by substituting the lead for tin as an example. It's just too promising to be discarded!

In the PV industry, of course they'll serve to augment other upcoming third and fourth gen solar cells. There's serious competition though, even apart from the traditional Si or III-V based cells. Dye sensitized solar cells is one, organic based (now with electron spin as an added degree of freedom to improve device efficiency is a growing research topic) etc.

By the way, I'm just a struggling PhD student trying to achieve my dreams! You guys need to come back to Naija and teach the next generation. Almost no one knows these things in Naija.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by AgentOfAllah: 4:20pm On Nov 06, 2017
Exciton:

Wow! A nairalander working in optoelectronics, using MBE techniques and ultrafast spectroscopy. What a wonderful surprise!
My feeling exactly when I saw your moniker! BTW, I also work on MOCVD, but I'm primarily an ultrafast spectroscopy guy. Do you think there's anywhere in Nigeria where we have MBE/MOCVD reactors?

You can also use perovskites in water splitting... basically as a photo activating catalyst, due to it's tunable bandgap and long charge carrier correlation length, to provide the much needed electrons (well, as radicals) to kickstart the water splitting process.

Well, it shares the same stability problems with organic conducting polymer materials. Hopefully, it's a synthesis issue that would be surmounted over time... like the toxicity issue that has basically been overcome by substituting the lead for tin as an example. It's just too promising to be discarded!
Yeah, I've noticed it does get a lot of Nature papers! Let's hope the stability issue is fixed. I once did temperature dependent PL studies on one, and its luminescence changed from refulgent green at low temperature (13K) to dull orange at 290K. That didn't make sense to me because the redshift was more than Varshni's model could account for within that temperature range. It turns out that the atomic arrangements are prone to significant thermally induced reconfiguration. For someone that works with mechanically robust inorganics, that was befuddling. Never mind applications, there's so much Physics that can be done within your field! Can't wait to read about your works!

In the PV industry, of course they'll serve to augment other upcoming third and fourth gen solar cells. There's serious competition though, even apart from the traditional Si or III-V based cells. Dye sensitized solar cells is one, organic based (now with electron spin as an added degree of freedom to improve device efficiency is a growing research topic) etc.
I call my Spintronics colleagues spin doctors, mostly because most of their theories completely fly over my head! But yes, that too is a potentially revolutionary field. I mean, to generate current flux with negligible thermal loss...Oh, the humanity!

By the way, I'm just a struggling PhD student trying to achieve my dreams! You guys need to come back to Naija and teach the next generation. Almost no one knows these things in Naija.
I'd gladly accept that offer if it comes with a well-funded Photonics and Spectroscopy lab. I really want to teach in Nigeria at some point, even if it's pro bono, but Nigerian professors are mostly inactive researchers for lack of funding, and that puts me off! I'll just become obsolete in less than 3 years, then we're back to square 1. I hate square 1s!! I too am completing my PhD pretty pretty soon!

1 Like

Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by Exciton(m): 1:18am On Nov 07, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

My feeling exactly when I saw your moniker! BTW, I also work on MOCVD, but I'm primarily an ultrafast spectroscopy guy. Do you think there's anywhere in Nigeria where we have MBE/MOCVD reactors?

Haha! I once searched online in ALL our research institutes whose budgets run into BILLIONS of Naira and all I could find was a very old and rickety stand-alone thermal evaporator unit in Abuja probably equipped with only a single roughing pump. You can never hope to make high purity thin films or nanostructures in Nigeria, not to speak of characterizing them. That's for sure! Criminals at all levels.

AgentOfAllah:

Yeah, I've noticed it does get a lot of Nature papers! Let's hope the stability issue is fixed. I once did temperature dependent PL studies on one, and its luminescence changed from refulgent green at low temperature (13K) to dull orange at 290K. That didn't make sense to me because the redshift was more than Varshni's model could account for within that temperature range. It turns out that the atomic arrangements are prone to significant thermally induced reconfiguration. For someone that works with mechanically robust inorganics, that was befuddling. Never mind applications, there's so much Physics that can be done within your field! Can't wait to read about your works!

Wow. That's a large shift in PL peak and you're right. It strongly suggests that the reconfiguration energy is on the order of thermal energy to induce such huge structural changes probably causing the formation of large density of trap states. Did you guys thermally anneal your sample for a while before doing the measurements? It generally makes films more stable. Anyways, the device operating temp range isn't that wide and such shifts wouldn't be present while moisture and O2 attacks can be prevented with the usual encapsulation methods well developed for its organic cousins.

AgentOfAllah:

I call my Spintronics colleagues spin doctors, mostly because most of their theories completely fly over my head! But yes, that too is a potentially revolutionary field. I mean, to generate current flux with negligible thermal loss...Oh, the humanity!

Hehehe. I once took a course on spintronics. Not too horrible. Yes, spin currents... the possibilities. Still a relatively young field though.

AgentOfAllah:

I'd gladly accept that offer if it comes with a well-funded Photonics and Spectroscopy lab. I really want to teach in Nigeria at some point, even if it's pro bono, but Nigerian professors are mostly inactive researchers for lack of funding, and that puts me off! I'll just become obsolete in less than 3 years, then we're back to square 1. I hate square 1s!! I too am completing my PhD pretty pretty soon!

Very true. I am quite sure that the only place in sub-saharan Africa with a good laser physics lab is in South Africa. I think they do stuff on ultra cold atom spectroscopy and other AMO kinda stuff. You should check their university websites. They even have an expensive nanoscience centre or so according to news. Not to speak of their large array of telescopes for astronomy. I simply don't get why we are so far behind compared to SA in STEM.

I really want to be able to do research somewhere in Africa, I really won't mind if it's not in Naija, but Nigeria would be preferable. Unfortunately, our useless illiterate leaders, with a primitive and childish impulse to agglomerate wealth like it's candy, would rather use the nation's wealth to buy houses in Dubai et al. Well, most of our "Profs" aren't that different from the politicians too.

Anyways, you can do your research abroad till you get famous enough to attract big grants to set up a lab in Nigeria. Or you can go the way of Agabi Oshiorenoya. But it's really nice to know a fellow Nigerian with whom you could have this sorta chats with!

1 Like

Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by AgentOfAllah: 5:17am On Nov 07, 2017
Exciton:

Haha! I once searched online in ALL our research institutes whose budgets run into BILLIONS of Naira and all I could find was a very old and rickety stand-alone thermal evaporator unit in Abuja probably equipped with only a single roughing pump. You can never hope to make high purity thin films or nanostructures in Nigeria, not to speak of characterizing them. That's for sure! Criminals at all levels.
Oh, what an atrocious disgrace. You shattered my last ember of hope cry

Wow. That's a large shift in PL peak and you're right. It strongly suggests that the reconfiguration energy is on the order of thermal energy to induce such huge structural changes probably causing the formation of large density of trap states. Did you guys thermally anneal your sample for a while before doing the measurements? It generally makes films more stable. Anyways, the device operating temp range isn't that wide and such shifts wouldn't be present while moisture and O2 attacks can be prevented with the usual encapsulation methods well developed for its organic cousins.
I didn't prepare this sample, so I'm not sure if any post-synthesis enhancement was done. The PL test though, was done in a HV cryostat chamber, so it's highly unlikely that air contamination occurred. Well, you know this material more than I do, but that orange peak didn't look like trap states to me. Its FWHM was narrow, more like free excitons, or even free carriers. It's probably an innate characteristic of the material system.

Hehehe. I once took a course on spintronics. Not too horrible. Yes, spin currents... the possibilities. Still a relatively young field though.
I imagine it isn't. I'm just a bitter soul, haha!

Very true. I am quite sure that the only place in sub-saharan Africa with a good laser physics lab is in South Africa. I think they do stuff on ultra cold atom spectroscopy and other AMO kinda stuff. You should check their university websites. They even have an expensive nanoscience centre or so according to news. Not to speak of their large array of telescopes for astronomy. I simply don't get why we are so far behind compared to SA in STEM.
Oh lawd! So much for the Giant of Africa...more like the giant armpit of Africa!
I want to do those cool light trapping and maybe nonlaser BEC experiments. Not for any particular reason..just for funzies.

I really want to be able to do research somewhere in Africa, I really won't mind if it's not in Naija, but Nigeria would be preferable. Unfortunately, our useless illiterate leaders, with a primitive and childish impulse to agglomerate wealth like it's candy, would rather use the nation's wealth to buy houses in Dubai et al. Well, most of our "Profs" aren't that different from the politicians too.
You just channeled my feeling.

Anyways, you can do your research abroad till you get famous enough to attract big grants to set up a lab in Nigeria. Or you can go the way of Agabi Oshiorenoya. But it's really nice to know a fellow Nigerian with whom you could have this sorta chats with!
Agabi Oshiorenoya! Omg, how come I never heard of this bloke? What Another Nigerian physicist that is interested in neuroscience? Is this heaven?? Omg! I'm mulling neuroscience as my next fancy. Specifically, I want to answer consciousness! I think I'm going crazy so keep me in your thoughts, haha!

Listen, let's stay in touch and keep the door for collaboration open.
Now I'm interested in knowing all the active physicists on this forum. I think I'll start a thread to find out.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by Exciton(m): 3:34pm On Nov 07, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Oh, what an atrocious disgrace. You shattered my last ember of hope cry

I didn't prepare this sample, so I'm not sure if any post-synthesis enhancement was done. The PL test though, was done in a HV cryostat chamber, so it's highly unlikely that air contamination occurred. Well, you know this material more than I do, but that orange peak didn't look like trap states to me. Its FWHM was narrow, more like free excitons, or even free carriers. It's probably an innate characteristic of the material system.

I imagine it isn't. I'm just a bitter soul, haha!

Oh lawd! So much for the Giant of Africa...more like the giant armpit of Africa!
I want to do those cool light trapping and maybe nonlaser BEC experiments. Not for any particular reason..just for funzies.

You just channeled my feeling.

Agabi Oshiorenoya! Omg, how come I never heard of this bloke? What Another Nigerian physicist that is interested in neuroscience? Is this heaven?? Omg! I'm mulling neuroscience as my next fancy. Specifically, I want to answer consciousness! I think I'm going crazy so keep me in your thoughts, haha!

Listen, let's stay in touch and keep the door for collaboration open.
Now I'm interested in knowing all the active physicists on this forum. I think I'll start a thread to find out.

Oh! If the width of the peak is narrow, then you're definitely right. It can't be trap trap state emission. It has to be something intrinsic... maybe quantum confinement effects as a result of the structural changes. But this is your area. Although I'll love to learn to use your tempo/spatial/temperature resolved femtosecond spectroscopic techniques if I get the luck to wriggle my way into a good lab. grin

Yeah. We really need to keep in touch as well as with other Nigerians in STEM, it's necessary for our growth in Naija.

Great work with the new thread you opened by the way!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Toyota Wants People To Know It's Not Just An Automaker Anymore by AgentOfAllah: 4:24pm On Nov 07, 2017
Exciton:

Oh! If the width of the peak is narrow, then you're definitely right. It can't be trap trap state emission. It has to be something intrinsic... maybe quantum confinement effects as a result of the structural changes. But this is your area. Although I'll love to learn to use your tempo/spatial/temperature resolved femtosecond spectroscopic techniques if I get the luck to wriggle my way into a good lab. grin
It could be some kind of confinement state like you said. I wish I could study that material more, but it burns up due to the sheer energy of the fs laser pulse. Didn't have time to really design a proper experiment that for it.

Yeah. We really need to keep in touch as well as with other Nigerians in STEM, it's necessary for our growth in Naija.

Great work with the new thread you opened by the way!
Thanks man!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Of A Keke Napep Limousine / World's Largest Automakers And Car Brands They Currently Control / How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.