Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,936 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:03 PM

12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed (1097 Views)

Feb Poll: Tension In PDP Over INEC Deadline / ANAMBRA ELECTION : The Party Soludo Joined Following INEC Deadline Date? / Switch Off Mtn Line Protest By 12:00 Noon For 7 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by shutmouth(m): 11:59pm On Feb 20, 2007
Feb 20, 2007 1200 GMT

The political parties deadline to replace all disqualified candidates has passed.

In accordance with the constitution, INEC's deadline cannot be changed.
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by IykeD1(m): 12:02am On Feb 21, 2007
or can it?
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by shutmouth(m): 12:16am On Feb 21, 2007
Watch out for Breaking News around the world today.
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by Mariory(m): 12:21am On Feb 21, 2007
Awaiting game set match.
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by BlackMamba(m): 12:31am On Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone know if Atiku replaced his running mate by the deadline? I read that Pat Utomi and Senator Obi were in the mix.
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by IykeD1(m): 12:32am On Feb 21, 2007

From the Tribune:

THE Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Maurice Iwu, has ruled out the possibility of extending the substitution of candidates by the political parties in the April polls which closed yesterday.

Speaking at a one-day interactive forum organised by the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) police command on peaceful and violence-free 2007 elections, held in Abuja, Professor Iwu ruled out the possibility of extending the date, saying that time was not on the side of the commission.

Professor Iwu, who was represented at the occasion by Mr. Setley Baze, National Commissioner of INEC in charge of the FCT, Kogi, Taraba and Nasarawa states, explained that the extension would not be possible as the photographs of the candidates would be printed on the ballot papers to be used during the elections.

He said that gone were the days when candidates of political parties were being substituted at will which created confusion and problems for the commission.

Professor Iwu, told the forum that the commission had put in place several innovations aimed at ensuring peaceful, free and fair elections in the country including the use of Direct Data Capture machines for the compilation of a voters’ register.

He pointed out that as part of efforts to put an end to cases of snatching of ballot boxes during collation of election results, the commission had resolved that election results would now be transmitted to the collation centres through electronic devices while political parties would have to submit the names of their agents to the commission at least two weeks before the elections for proper screening.

By the Electoral Act 2006, substitution of candidates for president and National Assembly elections closed yesterday.

Oh well, it looks likes its going to be a mainly two way race between Yar Adua and Buhari. We all know that at
least two main contenders, Atiku and Kalu are on the indictment list. Since we are all "democrats" and respecter
of the constitution, we know what the constitution has to say about indicted candidates - DISQUALIFIED grin
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by Mariory(m): 12:34am On Feb 21, 2007
BlackMamba:

Does anyone know if Atiku replaced his running mate by the deadline? I read that Pat Utomi and Senator Obi were in the mix.

Pat Utomi? He is the presidential candidate for another party (Labour I think). Why in God's name would he want to be second in line to a disqualified, theiving, moronic, retard?
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by shutmouth(m): 12:40am On Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone know if Atiku replaced his running mate by the deadline?  I read that Pat Utomi and Senator Obi were in the mix.

The Atiku's fans here have been so busy praising their man and cursing OBJ that they forgot to pay attention to the INEC deadline.

Call it Sodom and Gomorrah style of nightmare. They have nobody to blame for not reading the news via Internet.

INEC boss gave the warning repeatedly.
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by shutmouth(m): 12:56am On Feb 21, 2007
INEC Writes AC On Atiku

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has formally informed the Action Congress (AC) on why its presidential candidate, Vice President Atiku Abubakar has not been cleared to contest in the general elections holding in April.

More Details: http://allafrica.com/stories/200702110013.html

Atiku, Kalu Shun INEC’s Deadline
More Details: http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1835&PHPSESSID=57d94132b917ce97bb1cadf2f0cdfe85

Panic grips politicians on INEC deadline
More Details: http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/headline/f112022007.html
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by BlackMamba(m): 1:03am On Feb 21, 2007
I love Atiku to succeed because I have a vested interest in his success as the next president. Sincerely, that's all that counts in Naija politics. If anyone disagree, please sell me on your candidate and the manifesto you sincerely and genuinely believe he can successfully implement in Naija.
I'll surely put the country first as a patriot and abandon my potential windfall from Atiku's success for the overall good of the country.
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by shutmouth(m): 1:07am On Feb 21, 2007
Tax hurdle for politicians

Politicians vying for various elective positions in the forth-coming elections now face a fresh hurdle as the Joint Tax Board (JTB) has requested the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to forward to it (JTB) the list of all candidates and their documentation with a view to verifying their Tax Clearance Certificates (TCCs)

http://allafrica.com/stories/200702120330.html?page=2
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by BlackMamba(m): 1:19am On Feb 21, 2007
Oga JTB just want his own share of the pie. grin Of course you'll have to pay "verification fee" and "facilitation fee".
Only in Naija will a task as simple as verifying tax returns made into a spectacle.
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by shutmouth(m): 1:27am On Feb 21, 2007
Spectacle with a difference!!!

Never in history has the JTB verified the tax declaration documents submitted by the politicians.

I understand that most (if not all) has submitted falsified tax declaration documents. Such is the magnitude of the case that INEC and FG are even objecting to the idea. Funny enough, INEC boss says he does not even have personal tax declaration.

The world will be shocked if JTB have their way. And JTB have given no sign of relenting on their demand.

Who says that only EFCC is capable of hunting down corrupt politicians. JTB want to show us it has what it takes to do it, even better.
Re: 12.00 GMT - INEC Deadline Has Finally Passed by shutmouth(m): 7:14pm On Feb 22, 2007
I came to Nairaland to nail Atiku.

Mission Accomplished!!!

It's time to say "AU REVOUR".

Got other important work to accomplish.

Buh Bye, See Ya!!!

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria; A Country Of Doom! / Efcc Probes Fashola •investigators Move To Lagos / Albert Pike And Three World Wars ( The New World Order9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.