Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,368 members, 7,812,058 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? (21836 Views)

Innoson Bus Used For Public Transport Spotted In Lagos (Pictures) / BBNaija: Was Mercy Shortchanged With The Innoson Car Prize? / Oluwo Of Iwo's Innoson Car Spotted In UNILAG (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Ediss(m): 8:57am On Oct 29, 2017
Redstone:
All you need is verifiable receipt of your brand new car. No need for customs paper if you bought a brand new car in Nigeria.
for brand new cars bought in Nigeria there is a document that the company need to give u, its call attestation letter which must have the customs reference "C" number. It is that document custom is suppose to request from u. And the customs reference "C" number in that document is what the customs officer will key into their date base to enable them know if customs duty was paid on the said car by the company. Unfortunately some of these attestation letter given by some of these companies Dont have that customs reference C number given the fast that they may have evaded payments of customs duty. Hence your brand new cars bought in Nigeria may be detained if suspended to have evaded payments.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by nurey(m): 9:13am On Oct 29, 2017
echelons:

I don't think Peugeot enjoys any privilege. As long as you have a receipt showing you bought the car brand new within the country, you're excempted from paying Custom duty but if you don't have any receipt of internal purchase especially for a newer model of car, you're on your own, whether it's Peugeot or Honda or any other foreign brand.

Wrong again. Tractors, CKD (whether it is bugatti or G-wagon) and agriculture machinery etc are exempted from paying custom duty or exercise at the port inorder to boost the economy. CKD IS BEEN encouraged to provide jobs for citizens in the country and knowledge transfer which would lead to subsequent manufacturing in the country.

Now Kia, Hyundai and Toyota that are brought in as brand new from say Coscharis, stallion motors etc don't pay custom duty put exercise duty as they are brought in in multiple units and a one time fee payed for all the consignment, in this case, a certificate is given by the dealer, that certificate will replace custom papers. So any vehicle bought from such dealers have certificates issued not custom duty.

As an SME dealer who brings in 5 or less vehicles that are new or used, you get a custom duty instead associated to each vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Spain007(m): 9:22am On Oct 29, 2017
I think with the receipt n VAT payment the product is covered...
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 29, 2017
echelons:

I don't think Peugeot enjoys any privilege. As long as you have a receipt showing you bought the car brand new within the country, you're excempted from paying Custom duty but if you don't have any receipt of internal purchase especially for a newer model of car, you're on your own, whether it's Peugeot or Honda or any other foreign brand.

This is not true bro. On locally produced vehicle yes but not all new vehicles in Nigeria are locally produced. Some dealers snuggle brand new cars into the country to cut cost. I know a popular brand new car dealer in Lagos that smuggle his cars through cotonou, he can smuggle up to 30 landcruiser Prado in just 1 night paying just 30m to some top customs officials for the whole cars when it could have cost like like 3m to clear just 1 at tin can. What they do is issue buyers with attestation... Sometimes customs have busted them on 3rd mainland bridge for cars that customers have already bought and out to be delivered.

Also I know a very popular car dealer at mobolaji bank Anthony way Lagos that customs busted his showroom and locked down everywhere with over 100 brand new cars on display. If u buy from elizade or Hyundai or Honda place etc u are covered, but when u buy from all those private car dealers u are on ur own.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by bengasyll(m): 10:04am On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

You have answered the question.

Custom duty is for imported items.

However, anything can happen in Nigeria.
A custom officer might stop you on the road to request for its customers papers. It's now left for you to explain things to him; pray he isn't drunk and armed.
Apt description of our security personnel in this country
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Freeman59: 10:43am On Oct 29, 2017
verygudbadguy:

grin You have said it all. Our uniform officers can be crazy sometimes.

Did you say sometimes?? Always bro
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by divineappo(m): 11:05am On Oct 29, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:
buyer/seller/manufacturer is required to pay an excise duty, the bearer can be any of the three depending on how the manufacturer wishes to, but ultimately, buyer pays, excise duty is just the opposite of import duty, so the custom is meant to collect it also and a certificate is to be issued.
u are either a customs or police officer high on osogbo weed
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by OlujobaSamuel: 11:14am On Oct 29, 2017
divineappo:
u are either a customs or police officer high on osogbo weed
lol, why do you think/say so?
I am none of the above, i dont have any close relative doing such work or similar work, I see a devil in all of them so i avoid an encounter with them.
An excise or excise tax is any duty on manufactured goods which is levied at the moment of manufacture, rather than at sale. Excises are often associated with customs duties (which are levied on pre-existing goods when they cross a designated border in a specific direction); customs are levied on goods which come into existence - as taxable items - at the border, while excise is levied on goods which came into existence inland.
Although sometimes referred to as a tax, excise is specifically a
duty; tax is technically a levy on an individual (or more accurately, the assessment of what that amount might be), while duty is a levy on particular goods. An excise is considered an indirect tax, meaning that the producer or seller who pays the levy to the government is expected to try to recover their loss by raising the price paid by the eventual buyer of the goods. Excises are typically imposed in addition to an indirect tax such as a sales tax or value added tax (VAT). Typically, an excise is distinguished from a sales tax or VAT in four ways:
1. an excise is a duty not a tax
2. an excise is typically a per unit tax, costing a specific amount for a volume or unit of the item purchased, whereas a sales tax or VAT is an ad valorem tax and proportional to the price of the goods.
3. an excise typically applies to a narrow range of products;
4. an excise is typically heavier, accounting for a higher fraction of the retail price of the targeted products; and
Typical examples of excise duties are taxes on gasoline and other fuels, and taxes on tobacco and alcohol (sometimes referred to as
sin tax).
Wikipedia
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by OlujobaSamuel: 11:16am On Oct 29, 2017
Freeman59:

tell am ooo, they are sometimes normal(very very rare), most times abnormal(99.9%)
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by oruma19: 11:22am On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

A custom officer might stop you on the road to request for its customers papers. It's now left for you to explain things to him; pray he isn't drunk and armed.
Nigeria is a useless country o, our agencies and their staff don't know the meaning of what they do , they will arrest u for not having customs duty paper for a locally made vehicle. U Neva know anything..lolz
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by verygudbadguy(m): 11:23am On Oct 29, 2017
Freeman59:

Baba not always o. I went to Landmark Event Centre last Wednesday for an event. On my way back, at around 10.20pm, I had tyre issue around Exxol mobil quarters. Bro, the guards called Police that there was an incident at their gate. Immediately, two Police patrol teams got there.

Omo, na Police assist. I couldn't find wheel spanner in the booth. They had to go three times to their barrack to get the actual size. I couldn't believe my eyes. They helped without asking for a Kobo. Not all uniform officers are crazy bro.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by xangerar: 11:36am On Oct 29, 2017
verygudbadguy:

grin You have said it all. Our uniform officers can be crazy sometimes.

Most are bloody illiterates, either of the mind or the body, who knows next to nothing about what they ask for and why they do.

Policemen who will stop you in front of your office and are insisting on your ID card, a mere piece of paper which can be produced at a business centre, even when you have explained you work in the office upstairs and could be identified by your colleagues and boss even.

Meanwhile the essence of the same ID they are asking for is for mobile idenification purposes.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by verygudbadguy(m): 11:42am On Oct 29, 2017
xangerar:

Most are bloody illiterates, either of the mind or the body, who knows next to nothing about what they ask for and why they do.

Policemen who will stop you in front of your office and are insisting on your ID card, a mere piece of paper which can be produced at a business centre, even when you have explained you work in the office upstairs and could be identified by your colleagues and boss even.

Meanwhile the essence of the same ID they are asking for is for mobile idenification purposes.
Very true.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by jonnyjustcome22: 12:08pm On Oct 29, 2017
What abt kia product
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Spexo001(m): 12:17pm On Oct 29, 2017
doublezero7:

nice post...I am very impressed! smiley
seconded
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Hephzibeulah: 12:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
Nowujeda:
I've been wondering, since Innoson's car isn't imported, do I need to still pay custom duty if I decide to get one of their vehicle

It's called import duty, not Customs duty, and it a for imported items only. Ask questions that are reasonable

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by litaninja(m): 12:41pm On Oct 29, 2017
i'd like to buy you a beer!

deepwater:
No, OP you do not need to.
I know you already have the answer to this question since you are educated. Customs are present in production plants as well recording and taking duties on production so no need to pay that twice from owners side as the company has factored same into the face value of the car already.

But u see what fear can do to a man. You have started asking obvious questions not because you do not know the answers but because you are AFRAID.

Afraid of what an uneducated custom officer will do to an educated car owner on the high way. Yes you could be killed with an AK 47 for driving a brand new car without custom papers and the story carried by P. M news and forgotten by A. M the next day

Now this is what a nation gets when they allow the uneducated rule the educated. Fear of the unknown sets in, if this trend continues, I would not be surprised when someone will ask "will government allow my children to attend good schools in Lagos even when I am just a good grade 8 civil servant? "

Let me break your fears down to you for proper understanding:

The case here is:
1. You
2. The illiterate custom officer
3. Your car

Similarly.

1. You
2. The illiterate ruler
3. Your country

Hope y'all see that whatever may happen to your car will happen to your country because illiteracy is promoted in the system

undecided

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

I think cars bought new too don't come with custom papers
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by xreal: 12:49pm On Oct 29, 2017
neoapocalypse:

I think cars bought new too don't come with custom papers

They should have custom papers, since they were manufactured outside the shores of Nigeria.

Innoson vehicles are supposed to be manufactured in Nigeria. At no point is the finished product crossing our border into the country, hence no need for custom clearing.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Pray(m): 12:54pm On Oct 29, 2017
Dumb question. Buy yes if you are importing it from Biafra to Nigeria.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Caseless: 3:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
nurey:

Innoson vehicles were brought in as a CKD (completely knockdown kit) and assembled in Nigeria, there is zero import duty on such vehicles so you don't need a custom document for it.

If you are forcefully stopped, don't fret, let them take the car, you just get a lawyer and sue their ass for damages that will leave the Nigerian economy in recession till thy kingdom come.

It's the same privilege Peugeot cars enjoy, no custom officer would stop all those old Peugeot because they came into Nigeria as CKD too and its hard to differentiate an imported one from bought brand new in Nigeria.
they differentiate imported ones from the naija assembled.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Jeffmcclaine: 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2017
You don't need to pay custom duty since is INNOSON car but you will pay VAT. Which comes along side your total payment to INNOSON GROUPS as selling price.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by ibro360(m): 5:07pm On Oct 29, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:
buyer/seller/manufacturer is required to pay an excise duty, the bearer can be any of the three depending on how the manufacturer wishes to, but ultimately, buyer pays, excise duty is just the opposite of import duty, so the custom is meant to collect it also and a certificate is to be issued.

modified
op, i just checked through customs site, motor vehicle isnt eligible according to our excise duty list of eligible products, however, there is a clause on it, which is govt policy might include a product not on the list, but i cant say if there is any current policy to that effect.
https://www.customs.gov.ng/Guidelines/Excise/
see willi willi this is why we can't move forward in this country, laws and counter laws
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:21pm On Oct 29, 2017
ibro360:
see willi willi this is why we can't move forward in this country, laws and counter laws
na so oo, they select the ones applicable whenever they wish, while they watch us fight for them, then share the proceeds after we don e-kill or hand-kill ourselves.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by onyxo76(m): 8:57pm On Oct 29, 2017
Shebi its a locally produced car, how will customs ask for papers for such, its just like customs asking you to pay duty on abakaliki rice.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Freeman59: 11:17pm On Oct 29, 2017
verygudbadguy:

Baba not always o. I went to Landmark Event Centre last Wednesday for an event. On my way back, at around 10.20pm, I had tyre issue around Exxol mobil quarters. Bro, the guards called Police that there was an incident at their gate. Immediately, two Police patrol teams got there.

Omo, na Police assist. I couldn't find wheel spanner in the booth. They had to go three times to their barrack to get the actual size. I couldn't believe my eyes. They helped without asking for a Kobo. Not all uniform officers are crazy bro.

Yeah you just told me how they act SOMETIMES and that's why you couldn't believe your eyes. but ALWAYS, they are scaly wags
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by verygudbadguy(m): 11:20pm On Oct 29, 2017
Freeman59:

Yeah you just told me how they act SOMETIMES and that's why you couldn't believe your eyes. but ALWAYS, they are scaly wags
Lol
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by proflomo(m): 12:22pm On Feb 02, 2019
These cars will surely thrill and shock you. See all of them here: http://dapalan.com/MceS

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Confirm The Genuineness Of Custom Papers / Innoson Motors To Establish World Class Manufacturing Plant In Uyo / A Display Of Cars At The LA Auto Show 2018 - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.