Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. (1012 Views)

A Farmer Killed Huge Python In His Farm In Rivers State (Photos) / 'My Name Is Ogochukwu Maduako, I Am A Farmer And A Recycler" / A Farmer Proudly Displays His Harvest And Yam Barn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by Felixtuta(m): 11:59am On Oct 28, 2017
I have decided to stop Job hunting and am ready to do it right. One thing I won't do is to steal what is not mine and so I have decided to go into commercial farming.

I know nothing concerning large scale farming and so i have decided to ask.

1. How much do I need to start.
2. What crop would you advice me as a beginner to start with .

All comments will be highly appreciated, as I count on your wonderful advice and council.
Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by Donald3d(m): 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2017
Felixtuta:
I have decided to stop Job hunting and am ready to do it right. One thing I won't do is to steal what is not mine and so I have decided to go into commercial farming.

All comments will be highly appreciated, as I count on your wonderful advice and council.
i love farming too,though i havent started ,but i did it as an hubby years back in sec school
What i think is
-Research the most demanded crops
-Arrange them in order of startup,land space required,profit margin,susceptibility to pest and diseases and operational cost
-Take a look at the list and cross reference with your budget
-Start the one your budget can carry ,then expand with time

*you can apply the same method if you want to go into livestock

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by jethro2: 3:28pm On Oct 28, 2017
Felixtuta:

First and foremost...
* get some knowledge
* Understudy a farmer or go for real practical on farm training
* Source market for the product you choose
* find your way back to farm

Wish you luck

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 28, 2017
You have got two wonderful responses. Brilliant suggestions.

What I am going to add is you will have to do 80% of the job. Never start research from production to market. Nope. You start from market and move down to production. Research and find products that sell very well and with good selling prices. Then, sit down and start answering real questions. Why is this product expensive? When is it expensive? These questions will throw more light into your quest. You will be amazed how you are able to know the challenges and reasons for scarcity of the products at certain period of the year. Then, you need to find solutions to the challenges. What will you achieve? You will definitely be able to farm better with less stress.

If you can do the above, you will know exactly what you need to learn. You will be able to choose the best education you need. If it is lettuce you find rewarding, go for it and do not waste your energy learning cucumber. And since you know the challenges you want to tackle, you can ask around where to get the best teacher or farmer who can teach you tips to achieve your goal. Like someone has already advised you, go understudy a succesful farmer in the area you have chosen.

Some crops need irrigation while some do not. Some crops need real tender care while some do not. It is a wide field. And if it is animal production or fishery you choose, you still need to go through the same process.

Thenafter, start contacting as many people as possible who sell the equipment you need. Do not just listen to any consultant or seller. Research well. I repeat research well.

Do not be ashamed to ask questions like you have just done here. He who asks road path will not get lost (i hope my proverb is well said.....lolz)

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by wildfire2000(f): 11:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
how i wish i have something to offer.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by FarmTech(m): 7:35am On Oct 29, 2017
I'll advise u start with crops bc of the low startup cost. And probably start with short-term crops like cucumber, pepper, watermelon, vegetables. Find the market first and learn the crop agronomy practices from google and thru realtime farmers. Where is ur locatn?
Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 29, 2017
Hmm! Farming keh?
Remember this, never go into farming expecting immediate profit. Farming is more suited for people with other source of income..

My 2 cent.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by Willie2015: 2:18pm On Oct 29, 2017
Try and focus on market first before production, possibly out grower schemes. It will save you a lot of trouble.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by Felixtuta(m): 1:21pm On Oct 30, 2017
FarmTech:
I'll advise u start with crops bc of the low startup cost. And probably start with short-term crops like cucumber, pepper, watermelon, vegetables. Find the market first and learn the crop agronomy practices from google and thru realtime farmers. Where is ur locatn?

Awka Anambra State.
Re: I Want To Be A Farmer And I Need Your Help. by FarmTech(m): 12:38am On Oct 31, 2017
Felixtuta:

Awka Anambra State.
If you can find land that is close to a water source you can also practice dry season farming - where the money is. There is also less disease pressure. I currently looking for such land in ogbaru area.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Palm Kernel Suppliers Needed / 5.01 Acres Of Poultry Farm Available For Sale In Ogun State. / Suppliers Of Bitter Kola And Egusi Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.