Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,132 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. (35073 Views)

Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? / Please Share Your Experience From Buying A Car From Auction Export / 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA SPORT For Sale Juwt 2months Used Car Still Smells Toks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by ApolitiCal: 9:21am On Nov 05, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
engines and sludge.

There have been times when I inspected vehicles, they ran well and engines were smooth, no smoke, no rattles, but sadly the engines were filled with a lot of sludge.

What is sludge.

Engine with sludge

Engine without sludge

When the vehicle you are about to buy has fans wired directly, thermostat removed, and owner uses 20W50. The chances are that engine is sludge filled.

To verify open oil refill cover, and with a flashlight peep into the valve cover area. If it is dark and greasy you know what you are getting into, so factor it into long term cost.

If it is clean, lucky you.

You can also judge from the oil dipstick, vehicle owners that do not pay attention to oil changes always have very dark stained dipsticks.

Please sir,
What can you say about a particular year model car being upgraded to another year model. Eg... 2007 camry upgraded to 2010 camry.??
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by FreshMekanik: 9:42am On Nov 05, 2017
Learning. Oga Gazzuzz God will continue to bless you.

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by adanny01(m): 9:56am On Nov 05, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Regional brands and Mechanics.

Opel vehicles are not very common in the south south, you might find only a handful in. The south-east

But enter Kano, abuja, jos bauchi Gombe

They are all over the place and are used commercially.

Do not buy a cheap mechanically sound car, only to find out you will Have to place order from a different state and wait a couple of days for parts as simple as brakepads, water pumps, struts, exhaust parts, starter motor alternator.....

It can be very frustrating. It is worse when there is only 1 mech in that town that fixes that model, his shakara might be plenty smiley

Note: Not every one is technically and can hold spanner, There are some who prefer to watch while others fix.

Pure evil

Like my dad living in a sub urban town driving a very common Mazda 323f in neighbouring Abuja and Niger state but cannot get a simple part such as brake pad or clutch master cylinder.

But for the reliability of the car, he would have had serious problems.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by niyoni: 10:03am On Nov 05, 2017
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by sisqology(m): 10:32am On Nov 05, 2017
Sips origin and listens attentively *
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:41am On Nov 05, 2017
ApolitiCal:

Please sir,
What can you say about a particular year model car being upgraded to another year model. Eg... 2007 camry upgraded to 2010 camry.??

its just upgraded accessories, engine transmission and other major parts still remain the same.
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 05, 2017
All you stated here is applicable to tokunbo cars too. There's a reason a naija used is cheaper than tokunbo.

Personally when I'm buying a naija used car, I checked d prices of the failed parts in the market, compare the expenses with the price of tokunbo of the same car.(add miscellaneous and still retain the tokunbo-naija used price margin). Having it in mind that even when buying a tokunbo car, you still have to fix one or two things!

I prefer a car with a clean first body to a car with a good engine but "bad" body!

11 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:13am On Nov 05, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

its just upgraded accessories, engine transmission and other major parts still remain the same.

another thing you can do is use GOOGLE

https://www.cars.com/research/compare/?vehicles=toyota-camry-2009,toyota-camry-2010

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:15am On Nov 05, 2017
luxy44:
All you stated here is applicable to tokunbo cars too. There's a reason a naija used is cheaper than tokunbo.

Personally when I'm buying a naija used car, I checked d prices of the failed parts in the market, compare the expenses with the price of tokunbo of the same car.(add miscellaneous and still retain the tokunbo-naija used price margin). Having it in mind that even when buying a tokunbo car, you still have to fix one or two things!

I prefer a car with a clean first body to a car with a good engine but "bad" body!

You are right, we are getting there.

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Amdoyin(m): 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2017
I am planning to buy a naija used Rav 2003 model, what are the challenges or major? Pls I need a sincere answer OGA Gazuzz. Thank you sir
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by obekediamondfuto(m): 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Regional brands and Mechanics.

Opel vehicles are not very common in the south south, you might find only a handful in. The south-east

But enter Kano, abuja, jos bauchi Gombe

They are all over the place and are used commercially.

Do not buy a cheap mechanically sound car, only to find out you will Have to place order from a different state and wait a couple of days for parts as simple as brakepads, water pumps, struts, exhaust parts, starter motor alternator.....

It can be very frustrating. It is worse when there is only 1 mech in that town that fixes that model, his shakara might be plenty smiley

Note: Not every one is technically and can hold spanner, There are some who prefer to watch while others fix.

Pure evil

I am so glad that u guys r beginning to see things my way. a lot of times i have complained about some brands.... responses I will get will be ..... buy original part and the sort, as if people love fake parts. problem is proximity and availability of both parts and technical know how......
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 05, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

I am so glad that u guys r beginning to see things my way. a lot of times i have complained about some brands.... responses I will get will be ..... buy original part and the sort, as if people love fake parts. problem is proximity and availability of both parts and technical know how......

Are you condemning 95-99 civics? Luvinhubby must here this
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by ebujany(m): 1:34pm On Nov 05, 2017
Nice tread Oga gazzuzz. Please what's the likely fault of a Nigerian used Toyota corolla 2010 to 2012.
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:44pm On Nov 05, 2017
FreshMekanik:
Learning. Oga Gazzuzz God will continue to bless you.
FreshMekanik amen, we thank you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by diportivo: 2:14pm On Nov 05, 2017
ppl already asking about particular brands undecided

thread says how to buy a Nigerian used car

stop asking about Toyota 3013

or mahindra 1997 angry

13 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:29pm On Nov 05, 2017
Automatic Transmissions and transaxles.

When I am really interested in buying a car, I always go along with a little money to buy petrol.

The resason is simple, you get to drive with a sense of entilement, and no complaints from seller.

Transmission colour should be bright pink when new, and turns brown when old. When it becomes black you are on a border line, a drain and refill might work, or might cause issues. Some transmissions are sensitive to very dirty oil e.g camry 2007-2010 V6/I4, they are also expensive replacements.

Some other transmissions are not sensitive and replacement cost is cheaper than a smart phone grin E.g kia rio 2006-2011 (25-35k toks)

Now short drive tests might reveal nothing in a defective gearbox, but hard driving on long stretches of roads 10-20km might reveal a slipping or jerking transmission, especially for transmissions that behave well when cold, you should test all drive patterns (Hard, slow, stop and go.) with that you should be able to tell if you have a good transmission.

Also learnt to count gears. If a Gearbox is 5speed, and it is not CVT, you should be able to feel 5 shifts and notice RMP changes as gears shift.

Ensure you have a small scanning device that can scan transmission.

Also ask educated questions about oil transmission oil changes, it will be sad if a car drives fine and oil is bright pink only for it to fail after 3 months of use because abro atf was poured into a 2008 toyota camry transmission. sad

Same with transaxles, when test driving wind up, turn off the music and ac and listen to any abnormal sounds.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:52pm On Nov 05, 2017
NgcoboP:

Are you condemning 95-99 civics? Luvinhubby must here this

hahahahaa, maybe and maybe not....

gazuzz is gifting out parts and equipments on the last Friday in December, he will call it black Friday and the criteria is:

* must have decent posts in the last 3 months
* must not have posts condemning Honda in the last 5months
* must always encourage Honda cars for first timers (that where mechs and technicians gold mine is, without them, mechs, techs and part dealers might not have that frequency of traffic in the workshop)
* must be willing to drive and own a Peugeot 607
* must have an edifice wrist watch
* lastly, must not drive or own any pre- 2002 vehicle.

I think I have met the criteria

so in essence..... I'm not condemning any Honda AGAIN

1 Like

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by thebigkendo(m): 3:19pm On Nov 05, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
The best buys are from users and Not Cardealers.

Cardealers are wired to say Vehicle is in perfect condition grin Even if a problem is glaring. Sadly Most Car dealers Have very little defect history of the Cars they advertise.

hehehe Naija Cardealers enh.. AC is perfect, You just need to refill gas.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by buchilino(m): 3:27pm On Nov 05, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Automatic Transmissions and transaxles.

When I am really interested in buying a car, I always go along with a little money to buy petrol.

The resason is simple, you get to drive with a sense of entilement, and no complaints from seller.

Transmission colour should be bright pink when new, and turns brown when old. When it becomes black you are on a border line, a drain and refill might work, or might cause issues. Some transmissions are sensitive to very dirty oil e.g camry 2007-2010 V6/I4, they are also expensive replacements.

Some other transmissions are not sensitive and replacement cost is cheaper than a smart phone grin E.g kia rio 2006-2011 (25-35k toks)

Now short drive tests might reveal nothing in a defective gearbox, but hard driving on long stretches of roads 10-20km might reveal a slipping or jerking transmission, especially for transmissions that behave well when cold, you should test all drive patterns (Hard, slow, stop and go.) with that you should be able to tell if you have a good transmission.

Also learnt to count gears. If a Gearbox is 5speed, and it is not CVT, you should be able to feel 5 shifts and notice RMP changes as gears shift.

Ensure you have a small scanning device that can scan transmission.

Also ask educated questions about oil transmission oil changes, it will be sad if a car drives fine and oil is bright pink only for it to fail after 3 months of use because abro atf was poured into a 2008 toyota camry transmission. sad

Same with transaxles, when test driving wind up, turn off the music and ac and listen to any abnormal sounds.

MAY I SUGGEST SOMETHING, SOME OF US WANTS TO BUY SOME BRANDS BASED ON WAT PPLE SAY ONLINE. EXAMPLE AM PLANNING TO BUY A VOLVO V 70 XCL, 05 UPWARDS. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT VOLVO PRODUCTS, SO CAN U PLEASE CREATE A THREAD WHERE EXPERTS LIKE U CAN ADVICE IGNORANT BUYERS LIKE ME CAN LEARN. THANK YOU
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:29pm On Nov 05, 2017
Please stop derailing thread with requests

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 05, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Please stop derailing thread with requests

5 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:58pm On Nov 05, 2017
We talked about sludge before and how it affects the engine, now lets talk about the engine.

Before we do let me state a few facts.

1. That an engine had been previously dissasembled does not make it bad.

2. That a head gasket had been changed from stock steel type to composite graphite does not make it bad.

3. That the mating parts of an engine has residue of our generic silicone gum on its surfaces does not make it a bad engine.

More details tomorrow when I have pics to explain further.

4 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 06, 2017
I'm always suspicious when I see sellers posting that car was "used by a banker". How does that add value to the car? grin

16 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by LeJeun3: 7:26pm On Nov 06, 2017
Imarnuel04:
I always suspicious when I see seekers posting car was "used by a banker". How does that add value to the car? grin

I would like to think it means the car is parked most of the time....

However they forget that after work car is overloaded and stays in traffic longer...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by fabulous925(m): 8:00pm On Nov 06, 2017
I need a 2010/2011 gwagon a Nigeria used clean and neat needed urgently
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:36am On Nov 07, 2017
fabulous925:
I need a 2010/2011 gwagon a Nigeria used clean and neat needed urgently

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by frugal(m): 6:48am On Nov 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
this thread will I dedicated to helping potential car buyers on what to look out for and decesions to make before paying for a nigerian used car.

The only thing I want to know is when is the best period to get good deals? November/December or January/February?
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:57am On Nov 07, 2017
frugal:

The only thing I want to know is when is the best period to get good deals? November/December or January/February?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5498553_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

25 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by kingreign(m): 7:00am On Nov 07, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Ovoko, that man's jaw would surely be broken grin
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by frugal(m): 9:26am On Nov 07, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 07, 2017
frugal:

Gazzuzz answer this question... It is in line with the thread....
Re: Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. by sisqology(m): 8:39pm On Nov 07, 2017

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rki Autos - ***Buying Cars From The USA Made Easy*** / Selling Your Car Is Easy With Carxus! / Turn your Car Rearview Mirror Into A Communication Center with our Handsfree Car Bluetooth Kit +MP3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.