Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,610 members, 7,823,654 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Nigeria: Hostile Environment For Artistes - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria: Hostile Environment For Artistes (900 Views)

What Can I Start Importing In A School Environment With #300,000? / Relevance Of An INTERCOM To A Business Environment / Please Advise: Running A Barber Shop And Internet Cafe In a Hostile Environment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Hostile Environment For Artistes by remmie(m): 11:01am On Feb 21, 2007
can anyone give tangible reasons why Nigerians are losing interest in the arts, [i][s]i mean main artistes and not showbiz artistes[/s],[/i]and this is actually putting lots of Nigerian artistes to a hostile environment and causing them all migrate, today talking about the great of the greatest world artistes in world of Photography, Contemporary dance, contemporay music, Painting and even literature there one will find Nigerians but strange enough one will never find them in Nigeria, they are rather living and working in France, Germany, UK or USA.
Re: Nigeria: Hostile Environment For Artistes by Seun(m): 11:19am On Feb 21, 2007
Before people can appreciate arts, they need to first have the necessities.

However, there's a form of art that Nigerians appreciate in this time and day. Television, movies, and music!
Re: Nigeria: Hostile Environment For Artistes by remmie(m): 11:26am On Feb 21, 2007
ya same thing i'm talking about, these are all showbiz not arts, arts is not for profit making, its to be of humanitarian purpose rather than businees, and this guys making music, movies etc are actually out for profit and this are the sets nigerians are out for, and its actually a pity i think but what i actually want to know is if there is something that has to be done which hasn't been done of something that is happening which is not suppose to?
Re: Nigeria: Hostile Environment For Artistes by Seun(m): 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2007
My brother, there is nothing humanitarian about art. Starving children in Africa cannot eat art, can they? No!

There's nothing in the definition of Arts that says it should be for humanitarian purposes:

Art is "The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium."
- http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/art

If you want your art to prosper and be appreciated by thousands, you need to pursue it in a commercial manner.
The greatest artists of history, including musicians, sculptors, and painters, were all comercially oriented!
If you commercialize your art, you will not need to beg people for sponsorship. People will beg to give you money!
Do you think Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, Godfather I & II, etc are not art? Is financial failure art?

(1) (Reply)

Tips In Choosing Your Business / Is It True That Intercontinetal Bank Has Not Paid Staff Salary For A While? / 20kva Generators For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.