Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lies Of Nigerians Living In America (180313 Views)

Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (71) (Go Down)

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by babzo(m): 1:24pm On Oct 29, 2017
thebosstrevor:

Mr man stop watching too much american movies.

they will deny you treatment and drugs,in medical profession in america,it is money before service or insurance before service.

there are many cases of people being denied medical care in america because of lack of money and insurance.

You obviously havnt heard of emergency room. You think say na Naija where they go dey ask for deposit before treating accident or gun shot victim..

2 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by iboboyswag(m): 1:24pm On Oct 29, 2017
barnaby04:

How long would it take you to save up 250k for rent from a salary of 80k per month when you have to take care of your family's feeding, medicals, and attend to other pressing needs?

While you are trying to make a valid point about the unknown bitter truths about the American society, I think everything has been over exaggerated by you. A worker doing menial job in America has access to the best healthcare even an NNPC Manager here in Nigeria would find difficult to access. No need to worry about unnecessary expenses incurred for powering the household generator whenever there is power outage.

There is efficient transport system to move you from one point to another, good roads that are devoid of potholes, good and efficient security system.

The only reality about living in America is that when you are an undocumented immigrant is when you live the kind of life you are trying to paint about living in the American society. As an undocumented person, there is a limit to the type of jobs you can do.

The truth is that things are not easy in America as you have to work your way to the top unlike our system here in Nigeria, but reality is, there are uncountable million opportunities in America which you can leverage on to be whatever you want to be in life.

I think you understand better what he is trying to say and the truth of the matter is this, the lot of those commenting here about how this went, that went, most of them including the ones that are clamouring to go now will end up as undocumented immigrants with only menial jobs to fall back to.

America is not the nirvana as painted by many is what he is trying to say. The Nigerian doctors, nurses and bankers over there went through a whole lot to pay through for the education that gave them the life they are living there now and even at that, some of them including the bona-fide Americans are yet to finish paying off their school loans, some may never finish paying it off till they die.

As much as Nigeria can be hard, truly getting the good life in the USA is not easy, you will sweat your brows out in the heat and cold even as a legal immigrant talk more of an undocumented.

Modified

For those that will come and say they will save and get the education too, try saving $40k from your meagre and irregular $800 a week pay and let's see how long it will take you.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by DEADALIVE: 1:25pm On Oct 29, 2017
OP...your point can only be valid if you disagree with me that until our politician and entertainment celebrities stop flying out to USA for vacation, giving birth, schooling, to mention but few why? because USA is organized and civil society is of high standard then the living condition over there is better of than Nija.
Statistically there are more people traveling to the USA than those USA citizen leaving their country...

7 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Shikena(m): 1:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
babzo:

What Nigerian in yankee earns 12k annually? Be like say you dey craze. No Nigerian living in.Yankee after 2 years can be earning less than 30k a year and that is a beginner.
12k a year doesnt even get taxed, thats either a teen living in his parents a house or like you said a poor person. How can you survive on 12k.
And who exactly does menial jobs?.Maybe you mean factory jobs or entry level jobs.
You see my people ooo grin grin grin grin
For a Nigerian to be earning 12k a year I'm sure he would rather be driving a cab or Uber. Even people driving forklifts inside warehouses are earning $16 an hour grin
Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by donniemc: 1:27pm On Oct 29, 2017
Fingerprinter:

You made a valid point bro, especially when you said that people should earn foreign exchange from naija.
I'm just curious, do you work for a company or you are a full-time freelancer?

Am a full time freelancer!. grin (most tech companies can't pay me)

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by benzion72(m): 1:27pm On Oct 29, 2017
I use to wonder, if Americans are so comfortable why do they also have one of the highest suicide rate in the world

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2017
Shikena:

grin grin grin I live in America dude.
You have different categories of health service providers. If you don't have money or insurance you should ask where to go but be prepared for a long wait - they are called public health clinics and there are others too.
*Different ball game if you are suffering from something really huge though but in the US you have to research very well and get your information right or you die for nothing.

This is what mostly happens in the U.S if you cant pay medical bils, you will get past due notices from the hospital & the physicians that treated you. If you ignore the bills over the long term, they will be treated like any other debt and therefore documented on your credit report which will probably negate your ability to rent an apartment or purchase a home, car, etc. You will be harassed by bill collectors and the debt will always exist and continue to accrue late fees for you to repay unless you are able to declare bankruptcy.

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Shikena(m): 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2017
iboboyswag:

I think you understand better what he is trying to say and the truth of the matter is this, the lot of those commenting here about how this went, that went, most of them including the ones that are clamouring to go now will end up as undocumented immigrants with only menial jobs to fall back to.

America is not the nirvana as painted by many is what he is trying to say. The Nigerian doctors, nurses and bankers over there went through a whole lot to pay through for the education that gave them the life they are living there now and even at that, some of them including the bona-fide Americans are yet to finish paying off their school loans, some may never finish paying it off till they die.

As much as Nigeria can be hard, truly getting the good life in the USA is not easy, you will sweat your brows out in the heat and cold even as a legal immigrant talk more of an undocumented.

You are right about this and this is not peculiar to the US.
It is extremely hard if you are illegal and you don't have anyone to help.

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by egbabiekperemo1: 1:30pm On Oct 29, 2017
jonnyjustcome22:
What is the point of argument here. I think is to have a good standard of living.weather u live in America or Africa is not about how much u have in ur bank account. Am a senior civil servant earning below 50k per month which can not even pay my children school fees per term. My wife is as well a civil servant own over six month salary. [/b]How do u survive in this situation. I have an old man who has not been paid his pension for over four years b4 he move than to this America to have a decent life. How many of u [b]talking on this trend can afford a good life eg 24hrs of electricity, health care facilities, transport ,road and houses. This not abt how much u have in the bank.

Even your own naija poverty done damage your spoken english grin

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by obibanks: 1:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
I really can't understand how you'll be comparing a menial worker to a bank manager to prove a point. Why don't you compare a menial worker in both sides and see who enjoys basic standard of living

2 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by agarawu23(m): 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
timesup234:
sorry dude. It will take a Nigerian doing menial job in the US. twenty years to be able to complete a duplex. Unless they are involved in shady deals it is impossible. Even middle class Americans who make $57,000 annually cant save a thousand dollars monthly. When you get to America the hidden truth will ne revealed to you
em.....bros, I think you should leave Nigeria before u start arguing with ppl here grin.

You are talking about US where u can happily earn over 15$ per hour.

You are talking about US where u can do 2-3 jobs in a day with good pay.

You are talking about US where NEPA no dey take light, even in north Africa I lived for over 4 years, their light never off. I know how much I have spent so far on petrol to charge my phone. (Thank God for electricity improvement recently). Minus fuel money from that peanut salary u claimed bank managers are receiving.

US where nobody get your time, everybody is minding their business without casting spell on their coworkers. Nigeria is so evil that these bank managers cast spell on their coworkers to get promoted to their level.

Bank managers who charm clients that come to them for loan, when they notice ur collateral is worth times 10 of your loan request, dey will visit native doctors and start charming u for u not to meet uP with the payment and they will later take ur property and sell. Is that where thy are getting their money?

US residents who lives and work responsibly in Yankee sends roughly 800-1000$ home monthly after bills.

Should I count how many of my niggas in US that are proud landlord's at a very young age? You think its all of them that do illegal things?

Do u know how many years it will take a bank manager to buy land talkless of building house in Nigeria after paying bills?

200k salary is shit here in Nigeria for a family man with kids. Most rich bank mangers u see are all stealing from the bank (all the 1# 2# wey dey disappear for our accounts) na them.

You work from 6a.m to 7p.m and still earn peanut's. They buy their cars, houses and everything they need on instalments.

It will take a bank manager decades before he starts having investment but it will take a US expat below 5 years to invest and have properties in Nigeria (if they aren't prodigal son).

Make I just stop here

14 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Ordilawi: 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
Pls how can I become a legal immigrant in d US?

2 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Shikena(m): 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
thebosstrevor:

This is what mostly happens in the U.S if you cant pay medical bils, you will get past due notices from the hospital & the physicians that treated you. If you ignore the bills over the long term, they will be treated like any other debt and therefore documented on your credit report which will probably negate your ability to rent an apartment or purchase a home, car, etc. You will be harassed by bill collectors and the debt will always exist and continue to accrue late fees for you to repay unless you are able to declare bankruptcy.
Right but you don't have to pay the bill in full. You can pay what you can afford every month.
Yes, if you don't pay anything and you don't contact them then they take the steps you described above. Do we have such in Nigeria ??

2 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Akexstinger(m): 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
thebosstrevor:

Mr man you are a liar about your friend,no immigrant has bought a big car after 6 month except he is a confirm drug dealer asin the boss of drug dealers) stop lying.

Hahahahah....i knew you would say that. The guy is not a drug dealer. He got married to a legit Nigerian girl. He is hustling and making it big, registering for a coding program shows how focused he is.
The power of earning good pay in any country is obtaining a professional degree/diploma in that country you are residing. At least it's something I know for sure. I have worked in a foreign country before.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by apharm(m): 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2017
KaLuCh:

Imagine that, a menial worker and a bank manager!!! I thought it was a normal banker to menial worker comparison sef
God!! very amazing

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Saverin: 1:36pm On Oct 29, 2017
airsaylongcon:

And 1.2m is a lot of money? I know a company that pays this to Graduate Trainees

which company?
Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by sirhamilton(m): 1:36pm On Oct 29, 2017
Notmyproblem:

I understand your position but I think you are not looking at it wholly. Let me use Netherlands for instance someone doing a menial job and earning 1800 Euros per month life's value is even better than that of a bank manager in Nigeria. Yes, the residual income of the bank manager is higher likewise is physical assets.

But what the guy in Netherlands takes for granted; security, social welfare, access to affordable and world class health facility, ability to send his children to the best school in the country without sweating about it is a luxury to the bank manager.

Yes, money wise the bank manager has more residual income but the life of the guy in Netherlands has more value than that of the bank manager so the question is how do you measure quality of life based on money in you bank account or free and easy access to the things that makes your life comfortable? The choice is yours and it is different for everyone.

5k likes for this
Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by iboboyswag(m): 1:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
obibanks:
I really can't understand how you'll be comparing a menial worker to a bank manager to prove a point. Why don't you compare a menial worker in both sides and see who enjoys basic standard of living

The reason is because, people will leave their bank jobs, contract oil work to go hustle painting, packing, security and cleaning jobs in the US because of this America is better than Nigeria mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by timesup234: 1:38pm On Oct 29, 2017
neoapocalypse:

About the health issue , my brother in-law who is a consultant medical doctor said 75% of the deaths that occur in Nigeria would never be fatal in the U.S or Australia , most illnesses , accidents and disorders are preventable in advanced countries , in Nigeria this isn't so. That reason alone gives living in the U.S a huge edge over Naija.
i can see american doctors are now god but yet over 2.5million people die in america annually. Read before spreading hearsay
Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by BigIyanga: 1:38pm On Oct 29, 2017
timesup234:
Ok bro lets do the maths. You don't expect someone earning $75,000 to be squatting with a roommate. Such person is due for a two bedroom house or at least a one bedroom if he/she is not married. A standard one bedroom goes for $1,700 monthly in most areas in Chicago. That is over 20,000 on rent annually. Then you new model car note payments along with monthly insurance will cost you $700 which totals $8,400 annually. You are expected to pay over $200 monthly on premium health insurance which totals $2400 annually. Meanwhile before you start rejoicing, earning $75,000 means over $13,000 will be taken as federal tax, $4500 as social security, over $1,000 as medicare and another $3,000 as state tax meaning you are actually left with just $51,000 to spend for the year. I have not even gone into other major expenses, by the time I am through you will find out earning $75,000 or even $100,000 annually in America is nothing. You guys should learn from my posts and stip debating me. You are all rookies or people who really know what is happening but choose to lie or deceive themselves.
Where in Chicago do peeps pay $1700 for one bedroom? Downtown -inside the loop. Southloop and westloop can cost between $1000-$1500, but you have to be making like $60k &cup to live in those areas. You can get less than $700-$1000 on the north side, and Bronzville areas. Btw, Chicago minimum is $11hrs=$440/wk

2 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by anitank(f): 1:38pm On Oct 29, 2017
The system in the US does not let you save, because it feels there is no need to if you have everything you need. Even your retirement is secure and the future of your unborn kids is assured if you follow the rules of the system.

In Africa however, we're so obsessed with saving saving saving and piling up money in our accounts without really enjoying a quality lifestyle. Most people then die leaving these huge amounts in their accounts. Either the children don't have access to the funds because they don't even know or someone just squanders the money recklessly. And the cycle continues.

Point is, decide if you want to live a quality and secure life with less savings or if you want millions in your account with too many uncertainties.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by UncleJudax(m): 1:39pm On Oct 29, 2017
oglalasioux:

That amount won't get you a room self con in Abuja, Lagos or PH which can't even measure with any city in America in social amenities. Stop the exaggerations. Do you even live in Nigeria? This country is hell and you are here talking trash from statistics you got from the Internet.
when people get mad that Lagos is so lowly rated amongst world cities...I laugh. Lagos does not even have a good transport system...no train, no tram, not to talk of underground transport.

No light
No water
No security
Not green
Shitty drainage system
bad roads

Here in the west (Germany), virtually everything owned/operated by the government works...back in Nigeria grin wink

I no fit shout jare.

4 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by justwise(m): 1:40pm On Oct 29, 2017
fleetfeet:
I got a massive 3 bedroom flat (well finished with light, running water, fenced and all) in. Cool residential area in Oyo State for 120k. In shomolu, ketu, ebutte metta and co u can get flats for 250 so let that argument go.

So you are earning 80K a month and living in 2bedroom flat worth 250K? Does that make any financial sense?

7 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by justwise(m): 1:41pm On Oct 29, 2017
ameh99:
Come to Kaduna leme give you correct 2bedroom with all fitted tiles and water for 250k

No thanks, not even for 1K

4 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 29, 2017
Btruth:
When you tell people with good jobs or good business here in Nigeria, and you still see them chasing after US or Shenge visa just to go and live and work there, they will see you as enemy of progress.

If you are doing well here in Nigeria. Those countries are only good for a visit and shopping.

Quote me.
Even u weh never reach Togo dey talk.

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 29, 2017
apharm:

I must be a bank manager when I grow up

It may be obsolete by then...Want big money, think of underwater engineering

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Shikena(m): 1:42pm On Oct 29, 2017
timesup234:
i can see american doctors are now god but yet over 2.5million people die in america annually. Read before spreading hearsay
Just curious, do we have data of how many people die in Nigeria annually?
What's the average life expectancy in America? What's the equivalent in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 29, 2017
ItachiUchiha:

Pain now undersrand that Konoha must be protected.

How about Danzo?
Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 29, 2017
dimejalex:
guy u no get sense manager no dey collect that much US is not only the land of opportunity but also a good stepping stone so use ur brain

How crude... Ignored.

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 29, 2017
Chascop:
OP, this is really funny.

well, I won't write much but I'd like to tell you something.

I'm 25 but I live so so comfortable here. Infact, before i got my GC, I was doing some menial jobs(my first 13 months here), I know how much I saved and I know how much I invested. Now, I'm looking forward to becoming a citizen in few months to come and you know what it means, more better jobs that pays so well, so get your facts right. You should be comparing lazy Nigerians here with Naija bank managers and not the hardworking ones.

Now, I can comfortably tell you that I have a solid 5 bedroom dublex in my home town. I'm not so rich and never poor but I sleep like a baby.
I enjoy steady power supply, I enjoy security, I pay for what I use, no one intimidates me, I don't get bullied.

common, Peace is so costly that you can't get it anyhow but I have PEACE of mind

Infact, EgunMogaji must hear this.

MackyNaija
Blowjobs
How much is resident permit Dia?

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by CaptPlanet(m): 1:44pm On Oct 29, 2017
timesup234:
well with 250k you can get a nice two bedroom in most states in Nigeria

In abj, u can only get a self contained apartment in satellite towns with 250k. Never a flat

1 Like

Re: Lies Of Nigerians Living In America by Nobody: 1:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
babzo:

You obviously havnt heard of emergency room. You think say na Naija where they go dey ask for deposit before treating accident or gun shot victim..

pls dont deceive us doctors have little control over surgical and medical costs borne by the patients,it is similar process in nigeria if you are poor in america,you have no access to medical care.

Poor people have very limited choices when it comes to receiving care in America. For starters, they can’t choose where they want to receive care or who to receive care from.

You often have no choice or say in being enrolled automatically in a managed care. Once you’re in a managed care plan, if you get sick, you cannot just choose whatever doctor you like.
most doctors won’t see you because the good ones don’t take Managed Care Medical. You can only go to overbooked, lousy, and dirty community doctors offices where you have to spend the whole day in an overcrowded and unpleasant office waiting for your turn, hoping to be seen the same day. You often have to start the process all over again the next day and the day after etc.

If you ever need to be hospitalized, you’re in trouble because you don’t have any choice but to go to the worst hospitals. You might as well die because chances are, YOU WILL DIE THERE.

Even if you try to outsmart the system and go to the emergency room of a decent hospital, you will be transferred to the bad hospital

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (71)

Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan? / 8 Things You Need To Know About New Zealand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.