Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning (15410 Views)

87% Nigeria’s Poverty Rate In North – World Bank / Dangote Blasts State Governors For High Poverty Rate In Northern Nigeria / Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by AnambraDota: 12:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
I saw one funny thread where yorubas were jubilating over IGR of Lagos and how Osun State is least poverty infested state in Nigeria.

I won't even compare the cesspit called Osun State with Yobe or Zamfara State having being there, Osun is poverty capital of SW.

Now they said Lagos is the least poor state in Nigeria, please these people that write these figures have they being to Lagos suburbs or they just obtain IGR figures from the government and distribute on papers among the populace.

Now yoruba dance surugede on, sincere people here what do see you when you pass through all these neighborhoods.
Agege
Orile
Okokomaiko.
Ilaje
Mushin.
Iyana Ipaja
Ijora badia.
Ajegunle.
Ilasa
Bariga.
Shomolu.
Etc

These slums are where the majority of Lagos people live, these areas contribute 80% of the cities population. Alimosho is the most populous LG in Nigeria and Iyana Ipaja is the heartbeat.

Now if you have not been to these slums listed and still believe poverty in Lagos is low, your sins are forgiven but if you have been to these sorry and squealors and still think Lagos poverty is low you are a m0r0n.

Let me tell you guys, there is no way one will be earning good pays or running lucrative business and still live a place with such living condition of these places listed above. Most people who live here earn less than $3 a day, there is no way you will be earning well and here living in majority of the building patterns that dominate the landscape.

Anybody that still lives in those type of houses with one passage in the middle while thousands of tenants live in rooms on both side of the entrance, the toilet and bathroom are always at the back and shared by the entire tenants, no rich persons can live in such arrangement.

Poverty rate in Lagos remain the highest, not just in Nigeria but maybe West Africa. There are more poor and extremely poor people in Lagos than anywhere in Nigeria.
The issue with Lagos is that because of its cosmopolitan nature citizens find it difficult holding the government responsible for a lot of bad decisions.

Lagos is so heterogenous unlike Kogi and Benue where citizens can easily organize themselves attack the government, most people in Lagos rather direct their criticism to their various state governments than to LASG because most people think they have no stake here but just to come and make money but home is where your heart will always be.

There is no level of poverty you can find in any state in Nigeria you can't get in Lagos but more people in Lagos live from hand to mouth than any state in Nigeria.
So face reality and stop basing your argument on paperwork, Lagos is the biggest economy yes but Lagos is home to the poorest people in Nigeria, the wealth is not evenly distributed.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by EternalTruths: 12:58pm On Oct 29, 2017
That is why government should focus more on Citizen's Income Sources ( CIS ) than IGR.

10 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Guestlander: 1:01pm On Oct 29, 2017
Na wah o. All these convoluted theories just to distort a carefully conducted survey. If you want to believe Lagos is poorer than Anambra you are free to do so.

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Oga080666419419: 1:02pm On Oct 29, 2017
Yorubas think being laid back with life is being comfortable.

15 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by AnambraDota: 1:05pm On Oct 29, 2017
Guestlander:
Na wah o. All these convoluted theories just to distort a carefully conducted survey. If you want to believe Lagos is poorer than Anambra you are free to do so.

It's not always believing but being realistic, there are more slums in Lagos than Anambra, slum dipicts poverty and lack.

Take a trip round these slums and tell me what you see. Stop being sentimental and face reality

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by MyNewJackeT: 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2017
History will always remember that rice that was used to bail out kogi state.

one suicide 1300 bags of rice.

two suicides 2600 bags of rice

three suicide 3900 bags of rice

four suicide 5200 bags of rice

five suicides 6500 bags of rice.

six suicides 7800 bags of rice.

just like MMM investment but you don't benefit but only your down line benefits
get more downlines

1 Like

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Mille: 1:10pm On Oct 29, 2017
First of all, do you live in Lagos? If Yes, then why haven't you relocated to the 'prosperous Biafra'?

If No, then you shouldn't even be talking.

I lived in Orile for the first 22 years of my life ( Minus the time spent studying in boarding school and my University days in Ogun), and No, we didn't earn less than $3 dollars a day, nor live in your described housing. Sure, we were not rich but we spent a lot more than the meagre $3 dollars per day and it was a 3 bedroom apartment for a family with 3 boys.
So I wonder where you got your data from.

I do not deny the existence of these type of accommodations but there are as more apartment buildings in Orile.

Secondly, a large bulk of the people you describe here are 'immigrants' from SE, SS and the North. I'm certain for that of Ajegunle and Orile. Don't ask me how I know. I grew up in these places. The kind of 'unskilled immigrants' with no qualification whatsoever who show up in Lagos for a better life only to go and oppress the starving villagers in the East during Christmas.

Lastly, I agree with you. Lagos and the entire SW is home to poor people and has a bad economy. But please, tell your people to leave. I hear Anambra is far better. Tell them to go home and enjoy the goods back home. I'm not comfortable with the generations after generations of your people living in the 'poor SW'.

70 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Guestlander: 1:15pm On Oct 29, 2017
Oga080666419419:
Yorubas think being laid back with life is being comfortable.

Where are these laid back Yorubas? The obvious multimillionaire business owners? The professionals like doctors, lawyers, pharmacists etc? The millions artisians who works in various informal sectors of the economy or those in the villages who engage in subsistence farming?
I've come to realize that this "laid back" tag is a code word for not getting involved in criminal activities like drug smuggling to Asia.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by QueenSekxy(f): 1:17pm On Oct 29, 2017
Lagos is a glorified slum. .everybody knows undecided

15 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Guestlander: 1:19pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

It's not always believing but being realistic, there are more slums in Lagos than Anambra, slum dipicts poverty and lack.

Take a trip round these slums and tell me what you see. Stop being sentimental and face reality

You may be right, but then there are more skyscrapers and high end properties in Lagos than all of the East combined.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Mynd44: 1:21pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

There are more poor people in China than the entire population of Nigeria.

Can we now assume that China is poorer than Nigeria? undecided undecided undecided

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Guestlander: 1:22pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mynd44:

Can we now assume that China is poorer than Nigeria? undecided undecided undecided

Brilliant submission.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Eggcelent(m): 1:24pm On Oct 29, 2017
I Acknowledge Some Of The Points Made By OP. And I Appreciate His Intellectual Effort In Putting This Piece Together.

However, I Have Two Things I Will Like To Point Out.
1. Starting Out To Attack Yorubas For Celebrating Status Of Lagos & Osun As Relatively Prosperous States Betrays OP's Bias Here. You Could Easily Have Made Same Valid Points You Did Without Showing This Tribal Bias. It Detracts From Your Hitherto Impressive Comprehensive Contribution.
2. There Is Relative Poverty In Lagos. Same Way As There Is Poverty In All States Of The Federation. What Makes Lagos Peculiar & Seemingly More Pronounced Is Its Status As Economic Hub Of Nigeria. I Dare Say That Minimum 50℅ Of Adult Nigerians (18 Years & Above) Have Been To Lagos At Least Once. Same Can't Be Said About Other States (Including FCT). Hence, It's Easier To See The Relative Poverty In Lagos. It Doesn't Mean That There Is No Greater Poverty In Other States Of The Federation.

Thanks For Reading

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by adeolakemi: 1:25pm On Oct 29, 2017
the xyz of the Yoruba race Lagos ,remove Lagos and the entire Yoruba region becomes dungeon

18 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by MyNewJackeT: 1:27pm On Oct 29, 2017
SW, you are literally the only region in Nigeria that had no hindrance in development yet all region, north included, is running alongside you proves you aren't developmental as you think.

You should be MILES ahead of everyone yet YOU ARE NOT. Speaks volumes.

Secondly, the fact your region had to be bailed twice like they pointed out baffles me.

A state that supposedly makes more IGR than a region didn't need to be saved several times before they can pay common salary. What happened to the high IGR?

don't forget the igbos started from scratch after the war and they took everything from them and were given 20 Nigerian pounds.

17 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by AnambraDota: 1:28pm On Oct 29, 2017
Guestlander:

Where are these laid back Yorubas? The obvious multimillionaire business owners? The professionals like doctors, lawyers, pharmacists etc? The millions artisians who works in various informal sectors of the economy or those in the villages who engage in subsistence farming?
I've come to realize that this "laid back" tag is a code word for not getting involved in criminal activities like drug smuggling to Asia.

You can never be a professional earning well and still live in those type of Iyana Ipaja and Agege buildings.
These places are not good for human habitation, how do they breathe, the buildings are poorly ventilated and the sewage condition worst than that of a piggery.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by GavelSlam: 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2017
QueenSekxy:
Lagos is a glorified slum. .everybody knows undecided

But half your village go there to live.

34 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Guestlander: 1:30pm On Oct 29, 2017
adeolakemi:
the xyz of the Yoruba race Lagos ,remove Lagos and the entire Yoruba region becomes dungeon

If you remove your two legs you will probably have to crawl on your butt as well.
What would be the reasonable reason to remove Lagos from Yorubaland?

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by mightyhazel: 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2017
is this thread actually necessary ?

why not allow people to say and believ whateva will mk them feel good..

and for those dat will keep asking why my fixation with lagos...i can only reminf u dat lagos is a state in nigeria (moreso a former capital).. and i am a bonafide citizen of the federal republic.. (i do not stay in lagos tho,.. and hav only visited a friend there once
Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by GavelSlam: 1:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

You can never be a professional earning well and still live in those type of Iyana Ipaja and Agege buildings.
These places are not good for human habitation, how do they breathe, the buildings are poorly ventilated and the sewage condition worst than that of a piggery.
You are surely describing Aba.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Desyner: 1:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
EternalTruths:
That is why government should focus more on Citizen's Income Sources ( CIS ) than IGR.
? ? ? What did u take to type such sophisticated trash.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by AnambraDota: 1:38pm On Oct 29, 2017
Guestlander:

You may be right, but then there are more skyscrapers and high end properties in Lagos than all of the East combined.

Don't you see where it's written that the wealth is not evenly distributed.

Lagos have more skyscrapers that rest of Nigeria combine, Lagos also have more slums that the entire East combine.

Anambra have more high rise residential buildings than Lagos, skyscrapers are corporate offices not residential buildings.
Let's push for a better living condition not a bigger economy.

15 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by GavelSlam: 1:39pm On Oct 29, 2017
MyNewJackeT:
SW, you are literally the only region in Nigeria that had no hindrance in development yet all region, north included, is running alongside you proves you aren't developmental as you think.

You should be MILES ahead of everyone yet YOU ARE NOT. Speaks volumes.

Secondly, the fact your region had to be bailed twice like they pointed out baffles me.

A state that supposedly makes more IGR than a region didn't need to be saved several times before they can pay common salary. What happened to the high IGR?

don't forget the igbos started from scratch after the war and they took everything from them and were given 20 Nigerian pounds.

The 20 Nigerian pounds was equal to the 20 pounds sterling of the time.

Worthy to note that figure is worth about 150,000 naira today.

4 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Guestlander: 1:40pm On Oct 29, 2017
AnambraDota:

Don't you see where it's written that the wealth is not evenly distributed.

Lagos have more skyscrapers that rest of Nigeria combine, Lagos also have more slums that the entire East combine.

Anambra have more high rise residential buildings than Lagos, skyscrapers are corporate offices not residential buildings.
Let's push for a better living condition not a bigger economy.

You use residential buildings alone to measure the wealth and poverty level of a state? No wonder your report is seriously flawed.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by AnambraDota: 1:42pm On Oct 29, 2017
Mynd44:

If your about to be offered a visa for free, between China, Switzerland, Austria, Germany or Singapore, which would you rather choose first.

Big economy doesn't translate to people having more disposable income.

Nigeria is the biggest economy in Africa but I will prefer being a citizen of Mauritius or Seychelles to Nigeria

12 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by ENG1110: 1:43pm On Oct 29, 2017
There are various developmental indices to judge Lagos and southwest with. If you have anyone supporting your claim about Anambra, kindly present them.
So you expect me to take your words over all these studies.
I am sure you are educated, present facts/statistics or just keep quiet.

14 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Michael004: 1:44pm On Oct 29, 2017
Guestlander:

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Omofunaab2: 1:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
Lol.... omo that thread pain these people ooo. .

Yorubas provide stats to prove their claims while potor just go on ranting.

Op, give us stats or shut the fook up

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by AnambraDota: 1:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
Guestlander:

You use residential buildings alone to measure the wealth and poverty level of a state? No wonder your report is seriously flawed.

Yes tell me what directly affect people most, food, shelter....

You can't make good money and live a poor life.

6 Likes

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Michael004: 1:46pm On Oct 29, 2017
[s]
AnambraDota:
I saw one funny thread where yorubas were jubilating over IGR of Lagos and how Osun State is least poverty infested state in Nigeria.

I won't even compare the cesspit called Osun State with Yobe or Zamfara State having being there, Osun is poverty capital of SW.

Now they said Lagos is the least poor state in Nigeria, please these people that write these figures have they being to Lagos suburbs or they just obtain IGR figures from the government and distribute on papers among the populace.

Now yoruba dance surugede on, sincere people here what do see you when you pass through all these neighborhoods.
Agege
Orile
Okokomaiko.
Ilaje
Mushin.
Iyana Ipaja
Ijora badia.
Ajegunle.
Ilasa
Bariga.
Shomolu.
Etc

These slums are where the majority of Lagos people live, these areas contribute 80% of the cities population. Alimosho is the most populous LG in Nigeria and Iyana Ipaja is the heartbeat.

Now if you have not been to these slums listed and still believe poverty in Lagos is low, your sins are forgiven but if you have been to these sorry and squealors and still think Lagos poverty is low you are a m0r0n.

Let me tell you guys, there is no way one will be earning good pays or running lucrative business and still live a place with such living condition of these places listed above. Most people who live here earn less than $3 a day, there is no way you will be earning well and here living in majority of the building patterns that dominate the landscape.

Anybody that still lives in those type of houses with one passage in the middle while thousands of tenants live in rooms on both side of the entrance, the toilet and bathroom are always at the back and shared by the entire tenants, no rich persons can live in such arrangement.

Poverty rate in Lagos remain the highest, not just in Nigeria but maybe West Africa. There are more poor and extremely poor people in Lagos than anywhere in Nigeria.
The issue with Lagos is that because of its cosmopolitan nature citizens find it difficult holding the government responsible for a lot of bad decisions.

Lagos is so heterogenous unlike Kogi and Benue where citizens can easily organize themselves attack the government, most people in Lagos rather direct their criticism to their various state governments than to LASG because most people think they have no stake here but just to come and make money but home is where your heart will always be.

There is no level of poverty you can find in any state in Nigeria you can't get in Lagos but more people in Lagos live from hand to mouth than any state in Nigeria.
So face reality and stop basing your argument on paperwork, Lagos is the biggest economy yes but Lagos is home to the poorest people in Nigeria, the wealth is not evenly distributed.

[/s]Yoruba hater, see something that is calling you down here.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty rate and Yoruba reasoning by Michael004: 1:47pm On Oct 29, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Lol.... omo that thread pain these people ooo. .

I dey tell you.

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Briefs Buhari On Political Developments In Gambia / What Is The Name Of Your Local Government Chairman? / El-Rufai: We Know Location Of Terrorists In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.