Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,017 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry (28962 Views)

IDAHPOLY Releases HND Form, Inquiry And Course / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Millz404(m): 6:03pm On Oct 29, 2017

Cc: Lalatislala

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 29, 2017
Millz404:
They are both correct and mean same thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 29, 2017
Millz404:

2 Likes

Millz404:
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Millz404(m): 6:09pm On Oct 29, 2017
ethene:

Stop to use glo

106 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Lovetinz(m): 6:30pm On Oct 29, 2017
The traditional distinction between the verbs enquire and inquire is that enquire is to be used for general senses of ‘ask’, while inquire is reserved for uses meaning ‘make a formal investigation’.

In practice, however, enquire, and the associated noun enquiry, are more common in British English while inquire (and the noun inquiry) are more common in American English, but otherwise there is little discernible distinction in the way the words are used. Some style guides require that only inquire or only enquire be used.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/enquire-or-inquire

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Onyegecha(f): 7:11pm On Oct 29, 2017
ENGLISH IS A LANGUAGE OF CONFUSED PEOPLE

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Aminu212: 8:03pm On Oct 29, 2017
listening
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by samstradam: 8:14pm On Oct 29, 2017
OP I don't agree with those who say they are similar, in fact I get annoyed when people confuse them ( on par with defence and defense IYAM). Anyway as already stated below:

The traditional distinction between the verbs enquire and inquire is that enquire is to be used for general senses of ‘ ask ’, while inquire is reserved for uses meaning ‘make a formal investigation’.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Os3e(m): 8:49pm On Oct 29, 2017
They mean different tins. Inquiry is a formal investigation. We might be used 2hearin some common ones e.g
'police inquest or police inquiry' that is 2say; the police r making a formal investigation into the mata. Enquiry on d otha hand simply means 2ask and sometimes expect a response. U can 'enquire' abt a person, u cud enquire 4directions, u cud make enquiry of something 2gt more information.

24 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by NwaChibuzor: 10:01pm On Oct 29, 2017
One starts with I while the other starts with E

36 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by cashlurd(m): 10:22pm On Oct 29, 2017
"inquire" is used for investigation and in corporate literature e.g "The DPO has launched an inquiry into the cause of murder..."
On the other hand "enquiry" is used for informal conversations and gossip between people. E.g "I enquired from Chioma concerning the date she scheduled her wedding"

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by lightinchrist4: 10:42pm On Oct 29, 2017
Both mean searching for information but you can easily see the difference in the word usage.

Inquiry means the act of searching for information
Enquiry means search for information

Word usage:

1. I want to make to make an inquiry about a new phone
2. I just made an enquiry about a new phone

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Pacesetter123(m): 10:48pm On Oct 29, 2017
NwaChibuzor:
One starts with I while the other starts with E
I like dat.Short n simple,no dictionary needed.
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by coursednigerian(m): 10:50pm On Oct 29, 2017
It funny how people bother about English when it has no economic importance to you what soever..... Just know how to speak the basic(why we school) and don't stress your self or try to be flashy

To me rather than misuse inquire or enquire I'd just use the normal"know,ask,or investigate" among others,example.... I'd like to enquire if there is vacancy...

I would say ...

I'd like to know if there is vacancy....simple

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by femi4: 6:19am On Oct 30, 2017
Enquiry: British English

Inquiry: America English

Another difference lies in the etymological source of the prefixes ‘en’ and ‘in’. ‘En’ comes from French, and ‘in’ from Latin. Inquiry has a formal and official ring to it, while enquiry is informal in its connotation.

Summary:

1. Enquiry means asking a question, and inquiry is a formal investigation.

2. The prefix ‘en’ comes from French, and ‘in’ from Latin.

3. Enquiry is a request for truth, knowledge or information, whereas an inquiry is an investigation into something.

4. Enquiry is preferred in British English, whereas the Americans are more comfortable with inquiry.

5. In spite of there being a clear distinction in the meanings of the two terms, people often use them interchangeably.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Kizyte(m): 7:15am On Oct 30, 2017
They are the same.

Enquiry is chiefly British variant of inquire or inquiry
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by hezy4real01(m): 7:16am On Oct 30, 2017
Whites man problem not mine

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Lalas247(f): 7:17am On Oct 30, 2017
Google
Takes less than a min .....
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by melejo(m): 7:18am On Oct 30, 2017
Same meaning but Enquiry is UK and Canada while inquiry is US
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by otokx(m): 7:18am On Oct 30, 2017
Quite educative
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by onatisi(m): 7:19am On Oct 30, 2017
inquiry is another term for enquiry.

simple
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by infogenius(m): 7:21am On Oct 30, 2017
Na the same thing.
Check your dictionary
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Tobilastik(m): 7:21am On Oct 30, 2017
One starts with I and one with E
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by opeyehmmy(m): 7:25am On Oct 30, 2017
Wait, make i greet elders first.
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by alfredo4u(m): 7:30am On Oct 30, 2017
K

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Feranmicharless: 7:36am On Oct 30, 2017
undecidedThe "IN" and "EN" na
Is that not clear enough OP? undecided
Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by Throwback: 7:37am On Oct 30, 2017
Inquiry is a formal investigation.

Enquiry is an information seeking request.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between "Inquiry" And "Enquiry by abbaapple: 7:40am On Oct 30, 2017

Glo user spotted! lipsrsealed

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rain Destroys Building At The University Of Ibadan (Photos) / FG To Meet States To Discuss School Resumption Modalities / Ogun College Suspends Lecturer For Impregnating Nursing Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.