Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,083 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help (17830 Views)

Urgent Advice/help Needed On Collecting My Salary From My Former Employer / My Employer Is Shortchanging Me / Why ‘can I Sue My Employer?’ Is Often The Wrong Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 30, 2017
To chime in on this albeit that I am not too familiar with the employment law in Nigeria, but in most countries that practice common law, which Nigeria does, there is usually a 2 week notice that an employee gives to an employer before leaving for another employment and notice of this requirement is always given to an employee by an employer at the beginning of employment. So, the question now is: (1) What is the notice requirement by your former employer?; (2) Did you give the required notice? If the answer to the later is in the affirmative, then you've fulfilled your contractual obligation whether you signed a written contract with them or not.

Whether you signed a written contract should not be of utmost concern here because oral agreement is still enforceable if there's a breach. Having said all that, Nigeria as a society does not respect the rule of law and uphold a gentleman's agreement. As you alluded to, the amount is small and I am sure that it would cost you more than that to sue the employer that is even if you can find an attorney to file the suit. So all in all, you might as well forget it and move on but count it as one of those life lessons that suppose to make us wiser. Good luck!

Allsmyles:
Dear All, I need every advice i can get here.
I got a job with an accounting company and worked for 2 months (i got another job before the 2nd month ended).
Meanwhile, throughout my stay there, i was not given any offer letter to sign.
When i got this new job, i asked my new employer to give me 1 week in order for me to close up on a few jobs and submit my resignation letter. In other words, i gave 1 week notice before leaving.
Other staff of the former company received their September salary just last week. I called to ask for mine and the excuses i have been getting are:
*You did not give due notice so you'll forfeit your salary since you signed the contract (which i did not).
*You did not close up your accounts which is one of the criterium for getting paid (this actually came up during my last week there).

Now i have explained to the woman that i did not sign any of such contract and so the rules are not binding on me but she is insisting on not paying me. Infact, she is not picking my calls, she has been sending me text messages.

The pay is small, yes, but i do not think i deserve such treatment.
Why did i not just leave without notice and get paid for 1 week at my new place (would have been something at least).
Please i need advise on how to go about this because i need my money,it is small but it will buy me somethings.

If need be, i do not mind dropping her full name and company's name here. She is doing this to all of us that have left which i feel is cheating.

Mods, kindly move to the promised land.

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by valentineuwakwe(m): 6:58am On Oct 31, 2017
yes to men just let go. .you said the fund is small so let go. .focus on your new job and move on. .
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by david22uu(m): 7:20am On Oct 31, 2017
shegxi:
a month notice for a person without offer letter nor a confirmed staff? if you dnt want ur staff to go, treat them well, simple.

Then if dey go u forfeit what's left na.... it's simple ...play by the rules and go.. shikina
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by david22uu(m): 7:23am On Oct 31, 2017
lucarella:

You are a wicked person to be honest. Just imagine if people got jobs and in 2 months, left their jobs to go somewhere else - and gave only one week notice. You don't put in consideration, the company who employed you for a role. When they were getting used to you, you pick up your bags and leave. Yet, you come here and cry wolf. You never put all your effort in that company because immediately you got the job, you started looking for the next one. That's very poor work ethic. Well, first of all, there was no contract so no evidence of work. Secondly, you should be thankful that your current employer isn't asking for a reference letter from your previous employers.

I hope you're not already looking for another job

No mind d heartless nigga.... That's how he will keep jumping from one place to another without having any positive growth...

At leelast u tell ur employer here is temporary and u may leave soon and d person will have that in mind while dedicating duties.... No matter how bad a working condition is den no force u to start... na oil company work him dey find may be
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by shegxi(m): 7:24am On Oct 31, 2017
david22uu:

Then if dey go u forfeit what's left na.... it's simple ...play by the rules and go.. shikina
i blame the lady sha for not collecting her salary before porting.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 31, 2017
This is why I knack people jazz

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:42am On Oct 31, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

the ideal is 1month notice when there is no paper work to back up, hpwever, we have constructive dismissal, kindly explore that, dont write a resignation letter since you havent used a long period with them, just stop coming to work since you have gotten your pay, then kindly call in that you wanna relocate due to one reason or the other, and coming to work is difficult from where you moved to, request for transport allowee for you to cope(make sure the figure is higher than the coy can think about), they will simply let you sef before you end the call.

Lol. Transport allawee ke! When the take-home pay barely takes me home. I've been working here for just about two months and it's totally not worth it. But I wouldn't want to leave without any prior notice. I feel it would be irresponsible to just stop coming to work.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:46am On Oct 31, 2017
shegxi:
just resign and stop coming since there is no letter, they wnt have a case against you. nonetheless, if they have been kind to you thru ur stay dere, then you might reconsider how you want to leave.

The pay is insulting...their demands are inordinate. But I haven't been treated badly on any personal grounds. I have my resignation letter at hand right now, but I'm yet to drop it. I don't want confrontation or any further discussion about it from the manager's.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by bfmconcepts: 9:03am On Oct 31, 2017
your mistake was that you gave them notice.
They do not deserve such respect.

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by OlujobaSamuel: 9:18am On Oct 31, 2017
PrimadonnaO:

Lol. Transport allawee ke! When the take-home pay barely takes me home. I've been working here for just about two months and it's totally not worth it. But I wouldn't want to leave without any prior notice. I feel it would be irresponsible to just stop coming to work.
thats why i suggest you should use a constructive excuse, you cant afford to pay 1month salary in lieu of notice, and just walking out isnt good enough as no one knows tomorrow, so its better you give a condition they might think its best to just path ways on mutual consent
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Abdulsalam20(m): 11:39am On Oct 31, 2017
your company did the normal thing.....if you are an employee in a company for less than 5years,you must give atleast 1month notice b4 resigning..while for 5 and above,you are to give i think 3 months notice...and any employee who fails to give notice,will have to forfeit or refund the salary of equivalent period for which notice is expected to be given....though this rule is usually used in the public sector but private sectors do apply it also...are you a chartered accountant?...check your PSAF(the chapter on pension) this rule is there..
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by PrimadonnaO(f): 1:55pm On Oct 31, 2017
OlujobaSamuel:

thats why i suggest you should use a constructive excuse, you cant afford to pay 1month salary in lieu of notice, and just walking out isnt good enough as no one knows tomorrow, so its better you give a condition they might think its best to just path ways on mutual consent

Yes. Thanks. smiley
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by shegxi(m): 2:21pm On Oct 31, 2017
PrimadonnaO:

The pay is insulting...their demands are inordinate. But I haven't been treated badly on any personal grounds. I have my resignation letter at hand right now, but I'm yet to drop it. I don't want confrontation or any further discussion about it from the manager's.
if u have bn paid, then do what you have to do. no time for pity party.

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by PrimadonnaO(f): 2:35pm On Oct 31, 2017
shegxi:
if u have bn paid, then do what you have to do. no time for pity party.

smiley. Thanks.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by SRK1(m): 4:27pm On Oct 31, 2017
Get paid handsomely by doing such simple tasks as writing ebook and ad contents!
You must be a professional or able to conduct yourself as one though

We are a top writing and copywriting agency looking to add new great writers to our elite team. We have had the pleasure to work with very talented writers who are capable of producing contents that require no extra proofreading, and we will like to add more of this type.

There is no risk involved whatsoever, and it's not a salary system. As soon as we have jobs, we send you a mail. You complete it, and we instantly transfer your money to you as soon as we get confirmation from our clients that they are satisfied. When they are not, you will have the option to revise your work.

However, while we can give long time to complete jobs, we normally appreciate quick turnarounds. In fact we would rather have you work on the short, simple tasks immediately. But the reason is so that you get the next job quickly.

Contact us now to get started!

Contact at:

mavenwriter02@gmail.com
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Allsmyles(f): 6:35pm On Oct 31, 2017
lucarella:

You are a wicked person to be honest. Just imagine if people got jobs and in 2 months, left their jobs to go somewhere else - and gave only one week notice. You don't put in consideration, the company who employed you for a role. When they were getting used to you, you pick up your bags and leave. Yet, you come here and cry wolf. You never put all your effort in that company because immediately you got the job, you started looking for the next one. That's very poor work ethic. Well, first of all, there was no contract so no evidence of work. Secondly, you should be thankful that your current employer isn't asking for a reference letter from your previous employers.

I hope you're not already looking for another job

I see you dont mind dieing in a particular place. I saws a opportunity while on the job and i got the job. Would i have stayed to be tagged a good person?
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by lucarella: 8:03pm On Oct 31, 2017
Allsmyles:

I see you dont mind dieing in a particular place. I saws a opportunity while on the job and i got the job. Would i have stayed to be tagged a good person?

Dying in one place is not the point. You didn't see an opportunity, you went in SEARCH of an opportunity barely 2 months after you got a job. That's disloyal and unethical. When you work for an employer, you deserve to give your best and not just use his company as a stepping stone for another job (this was clearly what you did). Like someone said, you are not growing and gathering experience with this mentality, you are only moving up and down.

I'm an employer of Labour and I can assure you that if myself and a growing list of employers are going to employ you, you'd have to explain to me why you were changing jobs rapidly in less than 6 months. Does not show someone who's stable. When I was starting out my career, I was told to sign a 2 year bond with a company. I thought it was ridiculous but I understand better now. Now recently I was trying to convince a very good marketing person to switch jobs and work for my company but she refused because she just started work where she was. That should teach you something!

Work, remain loyal and earn trust. Then you'll earn your pay. Nothing comes easy!
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Allsmyles(f): 7:26am On Nov 01, 2017
lucarella:

Dying in one place is not the point. You didn't see an opportunity, you went in SEARCH of an opportunity barely 2 months after you got a job. That's disloyal and unethical. When you work for an employer, you deserve to give your best and not just use his company as a stepping stone for another job (this was clearly what you did). Like someone said, you are not growing and gathering experience with this mentality, you are only moving up and down.

I'm an employer of Labour and I can assure you that if myself and a growing list of employers are going to employ you, you'd have to explain to me why you were changing jobs rapidly in less than 6 months. Does not show someone who's stable. When I was starting out my career, I was told to sign a 2 year bond with a company. I thought it was ridiculous but I understand better now. Now recently I was trying to convince a very good marketing person to switch jobs and work for my company but she refused because she just started work where she was. That should teach you something!

Work, remain loyal and earn trust. Then you'll earn your pay. Nothing comes easy!

I'd suggest you talk based on the info you have. Simply ask and you'll get answers. When i got the job, what i had in mind was nothing less than 6months before searching for another (that is if i see no prospect there) but then i got called for an interview (a job i applied for a long time ago and had taken my mind off it) with better opportunities. I got the job and that was the week my former employer came up with lots of new policies that were so uncomfortable for all her staff. What would you have me do? What would be your advise if i were your kid sis? Would i have stayed there to be a good girl only to get paid on the 26th of the next month? C'mon, things aint done that way. No one in his/her right senses would have stayed in such a place when there is a better offer (unless of course your village people are dancing round fire for your downfall).

Now, what else do you have to say?

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 03, 2017
lucarella:

Why do you people think you have life figured out?

It's okay if you felt okay to be loyal to an employer. That is your personal problem.....it sure is.

You just come with narratives as if you know the circumstances of the OP, as if you knew what the job entails, as if you knew what personal issues she has(or had).

Work, remain loyal and earn trust of a Nigerian employer sad Trust me when I say you are way over your head! Please do us a favor and save the advice for your kids when they start coming.

I sure hope you pay your bills with work, loyalty and trust

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 03, 2017
devour129:
and this is why some employers pay second week of the new month . Why are people so selfish ? You where trained ,medical done for you ,the least you can do is give notice so that they can employ another person and you train the new person before you leave and that you have left room for anytime you want to come back or you have a friend or sibling looking for a job . You guys keep closing doors for yourselves . Am happy for this thread as an employer .

It's all in your head Mr!!!

If there was no law, there is no fuvking crime!

Everything is fair play when there are no rules. There was no signed contract or agreement.

Employers looking out for themselves, employees looking out for themselves....only fair.

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by lucarella: 3:37pm On Nov 03, 2017
NairaSand:

Why do you people think you have life figured out?

It's okay if you felt okay to be loyal to an employer. That is your personal problem.....it sure is.

You just come with narratives as if you know the circumstances of the OP, as if you knew what the job entails, as if you knew what personal issues she has(or had).

Work, remain loyal and earn trust of a Nigerian employer sad Trust me when I say you are way over your head! Please do us a favor and save the advice for your kids when they start coming.

I sure hope you pay your bills with work, loyalty and trust

And what makes you think that you understand the circumstances for my loyalty?I'm certainly sure you don't pay your bills by working hard and being loyal. You need to sit down and be humble when people who have gone ahead of you try to give advice. The most successful employees were not the ones that jumped from one work to another. A couple of my friends have attained 'indispensable' statuses at their workplaces - in this same Nigeria that you talk about. They earned it!

If the op got called up for a 'better' job barely 2 months into her new job, under no circumstance is a one week notice tenable. I don't care what was involved. You think employment for a position happens by the snap of your fingers? You'll even look professional to request for a one month notice for your current employers if offered a job. No company will turn down the request. And I'll have you know that because a job offers higher pay doesn't necessarily mean it's a better job.

Our work ethics are very poor in this part of the world and it's affecting our outputs and capability. You belong to the group of people who always think that companies are out there to use people when in actual fact, you are the kind of people who, rather than work to earn your pay, use the company's facilities to update your cv and search for other jobs.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by lucarella: 3:57pm On Nov 03, 2017
Allsmyles:

I'd suggest you talk based on the info you have. Simply ask and you'll get answers. When i got the job, what i had in mind was nothing less than 6months before searching for another (that is if i see no prospect there) but then i got called for an interview (a job i applied for a long time ago and had taken my mind off it) with better opportunities. I got the job and that was the week my former employer came up with lots of new policies that were so uncomfortable for all her staff. What would you have me do? What would be your advise if i were your kid sis? Would i have stayed there to be a good girl only to get paid on the 26th of the next month? C'mon, things aint done that way. No one in his/her right senses would have stayed in such a place when there is a better offer (unless of course your village people are dancing round fire for your downfall).

Now, what else do you have to say?

Look, there were a million and one better ways to handle cases like this. You're not the first person and will clearly not be the last to undergo this kind of issue. One week notice is a No-No. Under any circumstances. If your new employer asks you for a reference letter from your current company, they won't have good things to say about you. Loyalty isn't all about staying with the company even when you get the chance to move on to better things. It also shows when you have the company at heart and can walk into the company anytime and be warmly welcomed. What happened to writing the company with your intentions to move base and still offer your services diligently to ensure smooth transition? You barely walked out of a job that you applied for. I can also tell you for a fact that you are not the first person to do that to the company. That's why they were 'prepared' for you.

What I'm telling you is the exact same thing I'll tell my kid sister or my child. I've witnessed too many examples of people who have followed this path, only to learn painfully in the future. Likewise, I've witnessed cases of people who maintained a good relationship with their seemingly terrible companies only to be thankful for it in future. Always be friends with your previous employers!
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 03, 2017
lucarella:

And what makes you think that you understand the circumstances for my loyalty?I'm certainly sure you don't pay your bills by working hard and being loyal. You need to sit down and be humble when people who have gone ahead of you try to give advice. The most successful employees were not the ones that jumped from one work to another. A couple of my friends have attained 'indispensable' statuses at their workplaces - in this same Nigeria that you talk about. They earned it!

All I'm saying is these advices should be an advice and not a "rule".....honestly I don't want to understand the circumstance for your loyalty. It's a most likely a "personal" thing.

lucarella:

If the op got called up for a 'better' job barely 2 months into her new job, under no circumstance is a one week notice tenable. I don't care what was involved. You think employment for a position happens by the snap of your fingers? You'll even look professional to request for a one month notice for your current employers if offered a job. No company will turn down the request. And I'll have you know that because a job offers higher pay doesn't necessarily mean it's a better job.

We have seen "employers and recruiters" ignore candidates for asking for a month notice (to resume work). Threads are all over nairaland!!!
It's a "better" job when the new pay is times 5 what I was earning (especially when the other take home can't take you home). Trust me on this!

lucarella:

Our work ethics are very poor in this part of the world and it's affecting our outputs and capability. You belong to the group of people who always think that companies are out there to use people when in actual fact, you are the kind of people who, rather than work to earn your pay, use the company's facilities to update your cv and search for other jobs.

Baba.....all of us (employees and employers) lack ethics in this country, it's not a one way thing.

Say the same for you "employers"
Why on earth will you "employ" someone without a signed contractual agreement. That is a fvcking disgrace.

If your brother or sister works a N25,000 salary job (as a graduate from the best university in Nigeria) on the Island and lives on the mainland,
when he/she is called to resume a N250,000 salary job, come up with narrative on why he need to attain an "indispensable" status when he can't afford proper meal!!!

Employers pay wicked stipend (I won't even call it salary) and expect loyality!!! Get some decency and pay people's worth and see if they won't work their ass off!!!

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by lucarella: 4:22pm On Nov 03, 2017
NairaSand:

Not a rule but a guide that almost never fails. So don't be sad if the circumstances for your employers 'cheating' you are personal to them too.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 03, 2017
lucarella:

Not a rule but a guide that almost never fails. So don't be sad if the circumstances for your employers 'cheating' you are personal to them too.

*modified
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by lucarella: 5:18pm On Nov 03, 2017
NairaSand:

All I'm saying is these advices should be an advice and not a "rule".....honestly I don't want to understand the circumstance for your loyalty. It's a most likely a "personal" thing.

We have seen "employers and recruiters" ignore candidates for asking for a month notice (to resume work). Threads are all over nairaland!!!
It's a "better" job when the new pay is times 5 what I was earning (especially when the other take home can't take you home). Trust me on this!

Baba.....all of us (employees and employers) lack ethics in this country, it's not a one way thing.

Say the same for you "employers"
Why on earth will you "employ" someone without a signed contractual agreement. That is a fvcking disgrace.

If your brother or sister works a N25,000 salary job (as a graduate from the best university in Nigeria) on the Island and lives on the mainland,
when he/she is called to resume a N250,000 salary job, come up with narrative on why he need to attain an "indispensable" status when he can't afford proper meal!!!

Employers pay wicked stipend (I won't even call it salary) and expect loyality!!! Get some decency and pay people's worth and see if they won't work their ass off!!!

You are right and I quite agree with what you just said. However, let's face it. Employees don't have a price. At least from where I stand. If you offer the kind of value that an employer needs, he'll pay you what you request for. The problem I've seen with employees nowadays is that, no money is ever enough for their work. The same employee complaining of 25,000 will complain when he starts earning 250,000. The complaints change. I have been there!

Also in this economy, the companies are being stifled and drained. Taxes, office rents, running costs, then salaries. It takes a whole lot to manage a company in Nigeria. It all boils down to value. Mere typing stuff and routine jobs will only get you a paycheck. However, offer an employer tangible value and watch your growth. Our employees wait for a bigger pay to work better, which of course never works right because the tasks are bigger. I know a driver who is now a graphic design artist for a very large company with his salary tripled in a couple of months.

By the way, I'll say it again. A bigger pay doesn't necessarily mean a better job. Ask some experienced employees and they'll explain better to you.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Allsmyles(f): 10:57am On Nov 09, 2017
lucarella:

Look, there were a million and one better ways to handle cases like this. You're not the first person and will clearly not be the last to undergo this kind of issue. One week notice is a No-No. Under any circumstances. If your new employer asks you for a reference letter from your current company, they won't have good things to say about you. Loyalty isn't all about staying with the company even when you get the chance to move on to better things. It also shows when you have the company at heart and can walk into the company anytime and be warmly welcomed. What happened to writing the company with your intentions to move base and still offer your services diligently to ensure smooth transition? You barely walked out of a job that you applied for. I can also tell you for a fact that you are not the first person to do that to the company. That's why they were 'prepared' for you.

What I'm telling you is the exact same thing I'll tell my kid sister or my child. I've witnessed too many examples of people who have followed this path, only to learn painfully in the future. Likewise, I've witnessed cases of people who maintained a good relationship with their seemingly terrible companies only to be thankful for it in future. Always be friends with your previous employers!

Warmly noted... Can we move on now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Was I Wrong? / Top 5 Ways To Help Build Up Your Self Respect At Work / FG Begins 14-day Paternity Leave For Civil Servants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.