Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help (17868 Views)

Urgent Advice/help Needed On Collecting My Salary From My Former Employer / My Employer Is Shortchanging Me / Why ‘can I Sue My Employer?’ Is Often The Wrong Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 30, 2017
Esepayan:

what a Shame an admin officer and u can't construct a correct sentence........ naija FG na wa ooo
I just ran a quick check on your profile, its mostly laced with poor grammar, I don't get why you are bitter and pained?
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by devour129: 8:02pm On Oct 30, 2017
stonecoldcafe:
@Allsmyles

Such a learner! Next time, collect salary before dropping letter of resignation. A colleague of mine did the same thing you did and they began to reel off imaginary notice period off his contract. Someone under probation suddenly had to give a months notice or his salary was cut in half. Meanwhile some full confirmed staff na 2 weeks notice period o! Na so my guy lose out
Be very wise, next time get paid before dropping letter of resignation. All the best in your new job.
and this is why some employers pay second week of the new month . Why are people so selfish ? You where trained ,medical done for you ,the least you can do is give notice so that they can employ another person and you train the new person before you leave and that you have left room for anytime you want to come back or you have a friend or sibling looking for a job . You guys keep closing doors for yourselves . Am happy for this thread as an employer .

3 Likes

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Allsmyles(f): 8:02pm On Oct 30, 2017
Esepayan:

what a Shame an admin officer and u can't construct a correct sentence........ naija FG na wa ooo

Please, what sentence did he not construct well?
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Allsmyles(f): 8:03pm On Oct 30, 2017
devour129:
and this is why some employers pay second week of the new month . Why are people so selfish ? You where trained ,medical done for you ,the least you can do is give notice so that they can employ another person and you train the new person before you leave and that you have left room for anytime you want to come back or you have a friend or sibling looking for a job . You guys keep closing doors for yourselves . Am happy for this thread as an employer .

Get your facts before you comment pls.

No medical or whatever was done, just a normal small business employment.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by ladensmith(m): 8:05pm On Oct 30, 2017
joeaz58:
come to my shrine and I will prepare some charms for you...... to get back at him
The charm might or never work because "The boss is a she"
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 30, 2017
Allsmyles:

Please, what sentence did he not construct well?

i am an admin officer in the employ of FG

Does that sound correct to u
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 30, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
I just ran a quick check on your profile, its mostly laced with poor grammar, I don't get why you are bitter and pained?

u should be a danfo driver not working for the FG

2 Likes

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by devour129: 8:11pm On Oct 30, 2017
Allsmyles:

Greet your facts before you comment pls.

No medical or whatever was done, just a normal small business employment.
didn’t reply you but the guy I quoted but since you are still here let me give you an advice that will help you through out your working days . Never try to shortchange anyone cos that was what you did and what you got back and you are now crying . No matter what give a month notice ,any employer will appreciate that and if you are a good worker they might do anything to keep you back . If you feel you still don’t want to work there , you will leave in good terms because of tomorrow . When you leave abruptly , everything is in chaos for a few days and nobody wants that . I bet you begged for the job and you got it so why act like it’s now nothing to you ?

2 Likes

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by lucarella: 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2017
Allsmyles:
Dear All, I need every advice i can get here.
I got a job with an accounting company and worked for 2 months (i got another job before the 2nd month ended).
Meanwhile, throughout my stay there, i was not given any offer letter to sign.
When i got this new job, i asked my new employer to give me 1 week in order for me to close up on a few jobs and submit my resignation letter. In other words, i gave 1 week notice before leaving.
Other staff of the former company received their September salary just last week. I called to ask for mine and the excuses i have been getting are:
*You did not give due notice so you'll forfeit your salary since you signed the contract (which i did not).
*You did not close up your accounts which is one of the criterium for getting paid (this actually came up during my last week there).

Now i have explained to the woman that i did not sign any of such contract and so the rules are not binding on me but she is insisting on not paying me. Infact, she is not picking my calls, she has been sending me text messages.

The pay is small, yes, but i do not think i deserve such treatment.
Why did i not just leave without notice and get paid for 1 week at my new place (would have been something at least).
Please i need advise on how to go about this because i need my money,it is small but it will buy me somethings.

If need be, i do not mind dropping her full name and company's name here. She is doing this to all of us that have left which i feel is cheating.

Mods, kindly move to the promised land.

You are a wicked person to be honest. Just imagine if people got jobs and in 2 months, left their jobs to go somewhere else - and gave only one week notice. You don't put in consideration, the company who employed you for a role. When they were getting used to you, you pick up your bags and leave. Yet, you come here and cry wolf. You never put all your effort in that company because immediately you got the job, you started looking for the next one. That's very poor work ethic. Well, first of all, there was no contract so no evidence of work. Secondly, you should be thankful that your current employer isn't asking for a reference letter from your previous employers.

I hope you're not already looking for another job

4 Likes

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by wtfcoded: 8:15pm On Oct 30, 2017
Get the army people to handle it. Or just leave it to ur god to handle it.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 30, 2017
If you are leaving a job before receiving your salary especially in small firms just forget it they won't pay you. All you get to hear is long story
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by 400billionman: 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2017
Allsmyles:
I got a job with an accounting company and worked for 2 months (i got another job before the 2nd month ended).
When i got this new job, i asked my new employer to give me 1 week in order for me to close up on a few jobs and submit my resignation letter. In other words, i gave 1 week notice before leaving.
Other staff of the former company received their September salary just last week. I called to ask for mine and the excuses i have been getting are:
*You did not give due notice so you'll forfeit your salary since you signed the contract (which i did not).
*You did not close up your accounts which is one of the criterium for getting paid (this actually came up during my last week there).

Now i have explained to the woman that i did not sign any of such contract and so the rules are not binding on me but she is insisting on not paying me. Infact, she is not picking my calls, she has been sending me text messages.

Why did i not just leave without notice and get paid for 1 week at my new place (would have been something at least).
Please i need advise on how to go about this because i need my money,it is small but it will buy me somethings.

If need be, i do not mind dropping her full name and company's name here. She is doing this to all of us that have left which i feel is cheating.

If I advice you now, you no go understand since your blood dey hot.

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by lucarella: 8:25pm On Oct 30, 2017
Joy83:
I am afraid but I just have to tell you the truth: you can't get your money back, especially where no contract signed as you stated. Just let go and count as experience since it is obvious to them you have moved on to another job.

That is the modus operandi in most small firm. The same thing happened to me sometimes last year. I was a month at a job, I didn't write resignation letter, but I left to new job at the beginning of the new month while expecting pay from my former employer before dropping letter. A loyal colleague just called me to ask if I got paid because others have gotten theirs, I said No. This is because they have noticed my movement towards the month end.

That day I took permission from my new place to go my former place next day, under the excuse that they needed me to put the person resuming my role through on some task activities. The next day like this, early in the morning, I worked very hard, pretended as if I am still fully part, gave excuse for my absent, wrote boss an email around 11:50am that "I feel neglected among staff as others have received salary and I am the only one yet to receive. It makes me feel I am not part of the organization" bla bla bla... He challenged me on some basis which I responded, and within the next 10minutes, I received alert. He gave me some new tasks to work on and even transfer money to execute some tasks, I said Yes, even why I am drafting my resignation letter. Gbam, at the close of work, I dropped the letter, no time to even wait for reply as it did not matter. Next day, I transferred back the money sent to me to execute some tasks.

They kept postponing, so no official offer letter signed.

Lesson: Know who you are dealing with and How to deal with them (Smartness).

Very wrong advice. I'm sorry but you can't be teaching employees this. No wonder the level of non-challancy in the workplace is alarming. Look, workplaces are not playgrounds. Do things according to the books so that you are legally covered. Would you be happy if you owned a company and your staff constantly devise 'smart' ways to cheat you? And when I mean cheat, I sincerely mean it in every word. You don't deserve pay if you work just one month in a company and leave because you got another job. You never gave your best to your employers. That's what they pay you for.

3 Likes

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Ejomax77(m): 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2017
Assume that your stay @ ur 4mer place of work was meant for u to gain experience on the field, assume you worked there for free... don't call her no more. Life's too short for filing a lawsuit and all... But what do I know? I'm just a nairalander.

2 Likes

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Dotng: 8:37pm On Oct 30, 2017
david22uu:

Oga u don't deserve one penny biko... U can't comeninto an establishment and destabilize it ... simply means u are an E P... a month notice should be d minimum in any company.. haba do u think it's easy to go through a recruitment process... Put it self in the employer shoes.. changing staff up and down brings about a company downfall.. work for passion not passing
While it is not easy for employers to be changing staff it is also not easy for employees to work where their future is not guaranteed. If you are asking someone that hasn't been given an offer letter to give one month notice and this is someone that can be sacked at a moments notice how many weeks or months notice do you expect a confirmed staff to give. It is a dog eat dog world out there. Everyone is looking out for themselves without consideration for the welfare of others.

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Originalsly: 8:41pm On Oct 30, 2017
The reason why so many employers do not pay is because the employees do nothing. If youbwork.. you must get paid. There is no law in any land that will support an employer not paying for work done. If you stole... or damage property .. or owed the company money.... they can deduct it from your pay..... but not don't pay because you didn't give notice. They wouldn't have that in the contract.
Forget about calling and discussing.... forget about lawyer.... go with a rough guy to collect your salary... if they don't. .. wait a few days or a week or two.... get someone to wreck the office... their vehicles./ stone the manager's car... or if that too extreme for you.... place 'charm' at the entrance.... don't have to go to a herbalist... get some feathers..tie them in a little bundle... pour some blood on it... place 3 old coins to form a triangle around it..... get dry straw form it in a Y ...place it like a body with two legs.. one boiled egg on top to form the head. .. stick a big old nail in the middle of the body...a little blood sprinkled on top and powder all around it and forming a line across the entrance. See who dare cross that line... I'm sure you'll get that call to settle the salary.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by ehis05(m): 8:43pm On Oct 30, 2017
mine is even worst ...as at september 30th my boss called me n according to him he is disengaging me..literally sacking me after plenty talk i left...since den he has nt paid though he called me once n told me he wud pay up til nw he has nt n i heard he has paid dem in d office recently.. am so broke n unfortunately av nt gotten anytin doin yet but i wunt call him...man must survive one way...so 4get abt d money n d boss..God has blessed u wit a new job, concentrate on dat.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by mekyno777(m): 8:44pm On Oct 30, 2017
@allsmyles
Going by Nigeria labour law with regard to this ur case, it is 'One week' notice that is needed.
U all can google Nigeria labour law b4 arguing/doubting me.
We learn every day.
* Even though i don't lyk problem, bt i don't see any need for resignation letter as there was no employment letter.

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Joy83(m): 8:46pm On Oct 30, 2017
ashjay001:

Baddestgringringrin

But, u go hard to offend otongue
You may be right though... grin

1 Like

Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Joy83(m): 8:51pm On Oct 30, 2017
lucarella:

Very wrong advice. I'm sorry but you can't be teaching employees this. No wonder the level of non-challancy in the workplace is alarming. Look, workplaces are not playgrounds. Do things according to the books so that you are legally covered. Would you be happy if you owned a company and your staff constantly devise 'smart' ways to cheat you? And when I mean cheat, I sincerely mean it in every word. You don't deserve pay if you work just one month in a company and leave because you got another job. You never gave your best to your employers. That's what they pay you for.

You are right though. But at times, employee is left with no choice than to act some script. I still believe it is not a cheat, since I only got paid for the month I worked. Even my manager understood with me.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Cecero(m): 8:59pm On Oct 30, 2017
The labour law says 'one month in lieu of notice', meaning you give one month notice or forfeit one month salary if your resignation has to be sudden.
So even if you had signed any contract with them, you may still not have gotten any pay since your resignation is short of the one month standard notice period.
Also learn that it is always wise to ensure you close well with your previous place of employment in case you need to list them on your cv. They won't give you any reference letter if you fail to close well.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Wallade(m): 9:06pm On Oct 30, 2017
Allsmyles:

Since you had no offer letter, you should not give a notice of disengagement. You should have collected your salary and move on
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Jagabanmonerry(m): 9:11pm On Oct 30, 2017
david22uu:

Oga u don't deserve one penny biko... U can't comeninto an establishment and destabilize it ... simply means u are an E P... a month notice should be d minimum in any company.. haba do u think it's easy to go through a recruitment process... Put it self in the employer shoes.. changing staff up and down brings about a company downfall.. work for passion not passing
Yea... I got ur point but did d employers make themselves count. How could u employed someone n u didn't give him/her an offer letter to sign where d company ideology is stated because dey are afraid of being use against if things go wrong... Pls dey deserved wat dey got jare.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by OlujobaSamuel: 9:15pm On Oct 30, 2017
PrimadonnaO:
I'm having a similar situation at hand. I didn't get an appointment letter or sign any contract at my present place of work. I've been planning to resign, but I was waiting for month end so I could get my October pay, at least.

The pay just came in today. Now, my issue is, I'm wondering if it's okay to just tender my resignation letter tomorrow and stop coming to work, since I didn't sign any contract stating otherwise. If I were to give them two week notice, it means I'll be short-changing myself. I'll most likely not get paid for the two weeks I'll be around.

People experienced in this, please how do I go about it?
the ideal is 1month notice when there is no paper work to back up, hpwever, we have constructive dismissal, kindly explore that, dont write a resignation letter since you havent used a long period with them, just stop coming to work since you have gotten your pay, then kindly call in that you wanna relocate due to one reason or the other, and coming to work is difficult from where you moved to, request for transport allowee for you to cope(make sure the figure is higher than the coy can think about), they will simply let you sef before you end the call.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2017
Nigeria.

In other news get the latest info on IT be it Education, Jobs or Tech all around the world from It+jobs+list.com (without the plus and dot.)
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 30, 2017
U no sigh contract, sorry to say u can't get ur money back. Naija for u.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by rumenase(m): 10:22pm On Oct 30, 2017
Allsmyles:

Thank you. But i tell you she is trying to play smart. I dont need the money but the excuses she is giving is just what is paining me

OP I take all the witch for my village take beg yu collect that money make yu send am give me if yu no want am I need am.
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by PeacenLove2: 10:46pm On Oct 30, 2017
OP,

Sorry about your situation with you former employer. I think she was just overreacting and being unreasonable. There was no contract, employment was still under 3 months, both parties can pull out at this stage with zero day notice. Now if there were a contract, at this stage, there will be a week or two weeks notice, not one month!

She could have at least prorated your pay and pay you for the weeks you have done. You could either send her a mail and express your displeasure and disappointment in her and how you believe God will fight for you or report to the nearest police. I have witnessed them recover people's pay from sociopathic employers who come up with different excuses to avoid paying their workers. All the best!
Re: My Former Employer Is About To Cheat Me, Please Help by aloeman15(m): 11:22pm On Oct 30, 2017
office of the public defender.
Google is ur friend.
good luck.
Allsmyles:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Careers In Agriculture Nigerian Youths Can Explore / Job opportunities 4 Medical Laboratory Scientists in nigeria / 5 Tips To Avoid SACK In This Economic Period.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.