Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,591 members, 7,820,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. (2431 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of Boxing Day? / The meaning of " la vida loca" (photo) / How Old Are You On Nairaland, Screenshot Your Profile Let's See The Pioneers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 02, 2017
There's this item in nairaland's profile page that's called "YIM". I've noticed for a long time now, that many people don't seem to know what it means. Well, if you are one of such people, here: "YIM" is an acronym that means Yahoo Instant Messenger.
To enlighten you a bit more, YIM is an old chatting service from Yahoo that used to be in vogue those days. It had a logo made up of a smiley and Yahoo's big letter "Y" and colour was kind of purple or a bit like lilac (pale purple) mixed with some bits of yellow. To use it, you'll have an ID (that is, a username) with which you chat.
For nairaland, since the forum came into being in 2005-when YIM was still commonly used, I guess that was why it was listed among the profile details on the profile page along with twitter and I think they are asking for your YIM chat ID. So, if you didn't know this before,...now you do!
I hope y'all find this brief write up helpful.
Have a pleasant night.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by loomer: 7:10pm On Nov 02, 2017
You expect people to know wetin no dey exist?

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by Aminat508(f): 7:14pm On Nov 02, 2017
loomer:
Lol Kefe grin
Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by loomer: 7:18pm On Nov 02, 2017
Aminat508:
Lol Kefe grin

I Lie

Anyway how u dey?

How your blog dey go
Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by Aminat508(f): 7:21pm On Nov 02, 2017
loomer:

I Lie

Anyway how u dey?

How your blog dey go
I'm fine.
Alhamdullilah, and you?
Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by loomer: 7:21pm On Nov 02, 2017
Aminat508:
I'm fine.
Alhamdullilah, and you?

I gallant o.

Hustle things
Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by Seeker17(m): 7:23pm On Nov 02, 2017
Finally!!!

Thanks op..
Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by obaataaokpaewu: 7:36pm On Nov 02, 2017
Those years of Yahoo Messenger! Those years of all night browsing, one will end up spending the whole night asking people "what's your ASL (Age, Sex, Location) in yahoo chat rooms"! Those years of "hacking" cyber cafe's time for unlimited access. Those years one goes to a cyber cafe, checks his mail and "Must" print out the mail no matter how useless the mail is! Those years when 10minutes browsing time goes for 100 naira. Kai! Should I call those days good old days?

5 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 02, 2017
obaataaokpaewu:
Those years of Yahoo Messenger! Those years of all night browsing, one will end up spending the whole night asking people "what's your ASL (Age, Sex, Location) in yahoo chat rooms"! Those years of "hacking" cyber cafe's time for unlimited access. Those years one goes to a cyber cafe, checks his mail and "Must" print out the mail no matter how useless the mail is! Those years when 10minutes browsing time goes for 100 naira. Kai! Should I call those days good old days?

Hahahaha! gringrin As in, ehn, I remember too o! Wow, see how much life has evolved over the years! To have email add then was like what it takes to get a visa today! gringrin.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by obaataaokpaewu: 9:17pm On Nov 02, 2017
EmmaFantastic:

Hahahaha! gringrin As in, ehn, I remember too o! Wow, see how much life has evolved over the years! To have email add then was like what it takes to get a visa today? gringrin.
Back then, my uncle that stays in Abuja told my elder bro that if he (my bro) comes to Abuja he will help him to open an email address. My first email then was opened for me by my brother. I just wonder how the future will look like technologically

3 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 02, 2017
obaataaokpaewu:
..I just wonder how the future will look like technologically
One thing I'm sure about: it is certainly gonna keep getting better and better and is indeed, already doing just that!

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by obawinner(m): 11:00pm On Nov 02, 2017
my first email was @ovi

those days when sefan.ru was the best thing to happen to gamers

thanks to space impact on nokia 3310, my popsy must have been thinking the phone battle was bad whereas na that boss for space impact I wan kill

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of "YIM" In Nairaland's Profile Page. by chidex125(m): 1:08am On Feb 24, 2023
loomer:
abi oo

(1) (Reply)

Am I Misunderstood Or A Rude And Disrespectful Person? / What Exactly Is Inside A Pot Belly ? / What Was This Called? How Many Knew It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.