Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,360 members, 7,843,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say (1085 Views)

Tinubu Celebrates With People At His Residence Over Apc’s Big Win (photos) / APC Accuses Gov. Peter Obi Of Playing Politics With Nigeria’s Unity / GEJ Is Playing Politics With Amaechi – Okupe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by chigo4u: 8:49am On Mar 19, 2010
Damn goodness!!! some things are not worth to be mentioned at all. God save us. How can you be proud to announce that 98% people failed in a local exam?? Does it happen?? the 2% that passed managed to pass with one leg. First it was WAEC, now its NECO. At the end of the day, I guess its now a competition on who fails more so be expecting 101% failure rate next year. Nigeria is where everything can happen if not, heads should be rolling by now as would have been the case in civilized countries. Is it not obvious that the fault now is not from the students?? Is it safe to say that Neco wants to turn to a business organization now? WTF? Whats happening? and nobody seems to be talking. I pity the candidates oh. Nawa or should I say tufiakwa for this country?!!! yes I said that. Rubbish
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by pappilo(m): 9:19am On Mar 19, 2010
Whats is your point? NECO only administers exams. If any heads should roll, it should be those of the Minister of education and others who are involved in the administration and delivery of senior secondary school education in the country. What would you have had NECO do in this case of mass failure? Reduce the pass mark from 50 to 20?
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by hardywaltz(m): 10:41am On Mar 19, 2010
I support pappilo's opinion. What should NECO do change thier questions to suite the students? Try going to any of the examination halls when they are writing their examz and you would know why they fail.
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by tkb417(m): 10:45am On Mar 19, 2010
whats the OP saying?

people cannot write exams and pass and ure calling for the heads of the examiners

na dem teach dem for school?

chei!!! u sure say u pass your exams like this cos i dont understand the logic behind your thinking at all
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by Nobody: 10:54am On Mar 19, 2010
With the system of education in Nigeria now, I wont be surpised if people failed!
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by RichyBlacK(m): 10:55am On Mar 19, 2010
The failure may indicate the growing apathy to learning and knowledge among the youths in Nigeria.

Many of them go through the motions of schooling but a horribly empty upstairs.
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by kosovo(m): 11:15am On Mar 19, 2010
I don't think NECO is playing politics here. . .

all what children do is to make night calls, premiership, Facebook and Nairaland (insert Romance section[here]). why won't they fail.?? Tsew.
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by gregg2: 11:34am On Mar 19, 2010
NECO is playing politics.
It's a deliberate attempt to give us impression
that they have standards.
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by texazzpete(m): 11:44am On Mar 19, 2010
It matters not how the educational system is in Nigeria. No matter how bad things are from the teachers' front, far more than the 2% recorded now should have passed.

Pass blame also to the students and their parents who fail in their duty of ensuring these young chaps read their books!
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by hardywaltz(m): 11:52am On Mar 19, 2010
@ Kosovo, spot on!!! Thats the real problem with children of nowadays!
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by Nobody: 12:57pm On Mar 19, 2010
chigo4u:

Damn goodness!!! some things are not worth to be mentioned at all. God save us. How can you be proud to announce that 98% people failed in a local exam?? Does it happen?? the 2% that passed managed to pass with one leg. First it was WAEC, now its NECO. At the end of the day, I guess its now a competition on who fails more so be expecting 101% failure rate next year. Nigeria is where everything can happen if not, heads should be rolling by now as would have been the case in civilized countries. Is it not obvious that the fault now is not from the students?? Is it safe to say that Neco wants to turn to a business organization now? WTF? Whats happening? and nobody seems to be talking. I pity the candidates oh. Nawa or should I say tufiakwa for this country?!!! yes I said that. Rubbish
kosovo:

I don't think NECO is playing politics here. . .

all what children do is to make night calls, premiership, Facebook and Nairaland (insert Romance section[here]). why won't they fail.?? Tsew.
your question has been answered poster!!!
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by Jarus(m): 3:57pm On Mar 19, 2010
I am one of the first set of NECO(2000, I don't even know where I put the cert again, I use WAEC) and I must admit the exam body was less than efficient in administering exams. There were mass cases of inefficiency, students not writing a paper and seeing result for that paper, Economics question being circulated as Geography question etc. I remember having 6 distinctions, 2 credits and F9 in English in that exam. I knew it was not possible I had F9 in English. It affected quite a number of us our school was sure cannot have F9 in English . Our school took up the case and wrote NECO to revisit our papers. Guess what? They apologized for the mix-up and after revisiting our papers, sent us another results and I and one other guy had A1 in English. I doubt if what I wrote deserved A1 though, and couldn't have fetched me more than C4 if it was WAEC. Anyway, I dont like that certificate and use my WAEC. The point I'm driving home is that NECO demonstrated gross inefficiency at the time, but it could be argued that, being their first attempt, they were prone to errors.

That said, I am not a subcriber to  the common notion that exam bodies, whether WAEC, NECO, JAMB or even ICAN, deliberately fail students. There may be one or two mistakes, which can't be up to 0.5%, but to say NECO or whatever deliberately fail students is most ridiculous and I believe such notions can only be held by unschooled people.
Unprecedentedly alarming as 98% failure is, I don't believe it's a deliberate making of NECO. While the govt can be deservedly  blamed, I think the students have the bulk of the blame. We all pass through this system and we were not this bad. Perhaps, we should look no further than Facebook!
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by BlackRevo: 5:05pm On Mar 19, 2010
Except we follow the Japanese and co's example i bet you it will be worst than this in the future. All what these kids know nowadays is to live the Nigerian dream. sad angry
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 19, 2010
@ Jarus

Spot on! The same happened to me. I assumed they flopped cos it was their first year. Anyway I didnt complain cos they gave me staright As cheesy

Ahhh, 2000 . . . That was a good year for me smiley
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by Afam4eva(m): 5:17pm On Mar 19, 2010
Very few people still read in Nigeria. A country where Exam malpractice is the norm what do u expect.
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by Jarus(m): 5:47pm On Mar 19, 2010
Ujujoan:

@ Jarus

Spot on! The same happened to me. I assumed they flopped cos it was their first year. Anyway I didnt complain cos they gave me staright As cheesy

Ahhh, 2000 . . . That was a good year for me smiley

Many people that had been failing WAEC, English in particular, for God knows when made it that year. I had a better WAEC results so didn't use the certificate.
They also dashed me A1 in English grin
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by tkb417(m): 5:51pm On Mar 19, 2010
too bad i we didnt have NECO when i wrote exams

They would have dashed me 9 A1s

chei, i don miss o
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by netotse(m): 5:58pm On Mar 19, 2010
everyone posting on this thread has made a fundamental mistake: assuming it was 'students' that constituted the majority of candidates in the said NECO exams(rem. it's the nov/dec exam we're talking about here). Anyone with a reasonable amount of exposure would know that secondary school students cant be the majority, nov/dec neco is mostly taken by external candidates i.e. ppl that didn't pass through a secondary school but still need ssce certification

heck where i served, a 30something year-old driver's qualification was NECO 2003

@jarus and ujujoan
they also dashed me an 'A' grade in literature in english in 2002 o. . .lol
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by BlackRevo: 6:16pm On Mar 19, 2010
netotse:

everyone posting on this thread has made a fundamental mistake: assuming it was 'students' that constituted the majority of candidates in the said NECO exams(rem. it's the nov/dec exam we're talking about here). Anyone with a reasonable amount of exposure would know that secondary school students cant be the majority, nov/dec neco is mostly taken by external candidates i.e. ppl that didn't pass through a secondary school but still need ssce certification

heck where i served, a 30something year-old driver's qualification was NECO 2003

@jarus and ujujoan
they also dashed me an 'A' grade in literature in english in 2002 o. . .lol

Your analysis is right but IMO it is not the true representation of this scenario, that was the intended policy but you and i know that it does not work that way. Most of the students who still write these exams actually passed through a secondary school education and the results points to the fact that our education values has been totally broken down. If we are to go by your logic then i want to ask, what percentage of this failure should we ascribe to students who actually went through a secondary school education. Hope you are not insinuating that 90% of those who failed never passed through the secondary school education system.

Lets face the truth our education system has been deteriorating for so many years now and this was just the height of it, just make a research for the past five years for both GCE and SSCE exams.
Re: Neco Should Stop Playing Politics With People's Future - Have Your Say by aieromon(m): 6:35pm On Mar 19, 2010
I still don't understand how 98% of candidates flunked an exam as dumb as NECO.
I guess they felt too big to use chukuli.
NECO is just tryin' to show fake swagger,jare undecided

(1) (Reply)

I Killed My Dad, Mum, 3 Siblings, Son Of Slain Sss Official Confesses / Robbers On Okada Snatch N50m From Delta Govt House Accountant / The Weeping General

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.