Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,463 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America (2300 Views)

Femi Adesina Responds To Trump's 'Lifeless' Comment About Buhari / CAN Reacts To Trump’s Warning To Buhari On Killing Of Christians / Chibok Schoolgirls Read Letter To Trump (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Danladi7: 3:53pm On Nov 04, 2017
Professor Wole Soyinka is going back to Donald Trump’s America, less than a year after he tore his Green Card following the election of Donald Trump as the president.
He will be delivering from 14-16 November the Richard D. Cohen Lectures at Harvard University Centre for African Studies.
“I’ll go in as an alien, an alien from outer space. I love that designation,” Soyinka said in an interview with Financial Times of London published on Friday. The lectures will be in three parts, under the theme: BEYOND AESTHETICS: Use, Abuse and Dissonance in African Art Traditions

The first part, The Acquisitive Eye: “Oga, I swear it’s Original Fake”will be delivered on 14 November.

On 15 November, Soyinka will speak on : Heirs to the Procreative Deities – the Yoruba at Large. He ends the talks on Thursday 16 November with the third lecture: From Aso Ebi to N****YWOOD.

The venue for the three lectures is Thompson Room, Barker Center, 12 Quincy Street, Cambridge, MA. Richard Cohen lectures

Before the emergence of Trump, Soyinka had spent much time in the US, where he taught at a number of universities and lived in California with his wife, Folake.

“My life has been involved with the diaspora on a very personal and visceral level,” he said of his interaction with prominent African-Americans. Donald Trump’s election marked an end to his US sojourn. In what has become known among Nigerians as “Wolexit”, he cut up his Green Card.
“To have some redneck ride into power on the steed of racism was for me too much,” he told the Financial Times.

In a statement in 2016, he detailed why he chose to drop the Green Card: ”I was in New York during the run-up to elections. I watched this face, its body language, listened to his uncouth, racist language, his imbecillic harangues, the insults to other peoples, other races, especially the Hispanics, Africans and Afro-Americans, even citing once – I was told – Nigeria as an instance of the burdensome occupation of global space. I watched and listened, disbelievingly, since this was America, supposedly now freed to a large extent – as we like to believe and have a right to expect – from its lamentable history of racism.”
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/11/soyinka-goes-trumps-america/

2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 04, 2017
Now i agree that some SW people are lily livered...openly boasting, public bragging and actionless like a church rat

Even the most educated ones are not exempted. grin shocked

I am sure the reader understands those been referred in context.

See his useless quote:

"I was in New York during the run-up to elections. I watched this face, its body language, listened to his uncouth, racist language, his imbecillic harangues, the insults to other peoples, other races, especially the Hispanics, Africans and Afro-Americans, even citing once – I was told – Nigeria as an instance of the burdensome occupation of global space. I watched and listened, disbelievingly, since this was America, supposedly now freed to a large extent – as we like to believe and have a right to expect – from its lamentable history of racism.”

So who has the last laugh? Trump...(in full)Chukwuemeka Egodinnaba Donald Trump grin

Afon embarassed

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by seunmsg(m): 3:59pm On Nov 04, 2017
He's only going there to deliver a lecture and earn his pay, no big deal.
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Isoko1stSon(m): 4:22pm On Nov 04, 2017
Soyinka wS bleating, only yoromuslims were supporting him

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by BUHARIjubrin: 4:23pm On Nov 04, 2017
Shame don dey catch me on his behalf

Yoropigs are terrible beings

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by doctokwus: 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2017
Reminds me of one of my most popular dialogue scenes in "The Hateful Eight"movie:
The caucasian actor after finding out the negro actor had been telling him lies all along about the authenticity of a letter supposedly penned to the latter by an American president,said to him:"So its true what they say about you people(blacks)......not to believe a word that comes from your(blacks)mouth".
Soyinka just proved that one should not trust a word that comes from his mouth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by psucc(m): 4:48pm On Nov 04, 2017
He ought to have lived out his words at least through Trump's presidency.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by nduchucks: 4:52pm On Nov 04, 2017
Dear Poet Soyinka,

Una well done o. Your trip was perfectly timed as Trump is on a 2 week trip to Asia. cool

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Danladi7: 5:06pm On Nov 04, 2017
PDJT:
A classical example of an individual who doesn’t understand that acquired knowledge has limitations. Empowered by the West as an African poster boy, he feels entitled to comment on American National affairs whilst his Yoruba people are just another Tribe in Africa.
I’d have said more if not for his historic support of my beloved Nation, Biafra.
Typical Igbo people thought pattern cool

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by PDJT: 6:18pm On Nov 04, 2017
[s]
Danladi7:

Typical Igbo people thought pattern cool
[/s]
-How many Igbo people have your people murdered just to have Ndi-Igbo in your useless white-man colony called “Nigeria”? Imbeciles everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by NaijaMutant(f): 6:32pm On Nov 04, 2017
How best to define a coward

I learnt Trump will be away for that period, just let Trump come back and meet you in America grin
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Exclusive32: 6:33pm On Nov 04, 2017
shame catch me! ÷/
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by lilytender: 6:40pm On Nov 04, 2017
PDJT:
A classical example of an individual who doesn’t understand that acquired knowledge has limitations. Empowered by the West as an African poster boy, he feels entitled to comment on American National affairs whilst his Yoruba people are just another Tribe in Africa.
I’d have said more if not for his historic support of my beloved Nation, Biafra.

Soyinka did more for Biafra than your father who claim to be a Biafran.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Danladi7: 6:54pm On Nov 04, 2017
PDJT:
[s][/s]
-How many Igbo people have your people murdered just to have Ndi-Igbo in your useless white-man colony called “Nigeria”? Imbeciles everywhere.
Go and ask nnamdi azikwe,the useless father of useless one Nigeria!
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Gotze1: 8:00pm On Nov 04, 2017
BUHARIjubrin:
Shame don dey catch me on his behalf

Yoropigs are terrible beings
Mr pigbo, he torn the card, but he's going there for a lecture. Aterall, he never said he will no go to America, he has torn the card as promised. So how has trump's victory helped your father's poverished situation since the? Pathetic tribe.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Gotze1: 8:01pm On Nov 04, 2017
lilytender:

Who is his father? Someone that couldn't cater for him will cater for nation?
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by FarahAideed: 8:02pm On Nov 04, 2017
Soyinka is a shameless old fool who has tucked his tail in between his legs and gone back to his vomit like the dog he his ..For your information Soyinka is going back so his green card is not revoked for staying out of America for 12 month , now do the maths and you will see he has almost less than two months to get his green card revoked and the coward is going back to hia vomit grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 04, 2017
Yorubackstabbers with lies and chestbeating

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by FarahAideed: 8:38pm On Nov 04, 2017
Gotze1:
Mr pigbo, he torn the card, but he's going there for a lecture. Aterall, he never said he will no go to America, he has torn the card as promised. So how has trump's victory helped your father's poverished situation since the? Pathetic tribe.

He never tore the card , infact he is only going so they dont revoke his green card because it will revoked if he stays out of America for 12months
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 04, 2017
I trust the US Embassy to deny him visa. grin

He can't eat his cake and still have it. undecided
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2017
PDJT:
[s][/s]

Stop this hate. It won’t get you or your tribe anywhere. Igbos are still views as scums of the earth in Nigeria.
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Nobody: 9:46pm On Nov 04, 2017
PDJT:
[s][/s]

Stop this hate. It won’t get you or your tribe anywhere. Igbos are still viewed as scums of the earth in Nigeria.
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Duru1(m): 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2017
PDJT:

You could not be more correct. Unfortunately, the dude is the product of liberal section of European sects. He is used to slight Achebe after Achebe destroyed the cynical myth of Europeans with the classical essay of Africa as against the crap from Joseph Conrad.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by Duru1(m): 9:58pm On Nov 04, 2017
lilytender:

Shut the f.. up!! Did he kill one vandal from Nigeria? He only loudmouthed as usual and was thrown into the prison.
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by DieBuhari: 11:07pm On Nov 04, 2017
Typical Yoruba
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by goldrushbooks: 11:47pm On Nov 04, 2017
PDJT:

They could not empower Achebe! Other Africans have won Nobel prizes, why this thing dey pain una like this. Sore losers!
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by goldrushbooks: 11:50pm On Nov 04, 2017
Duru1:

You could not be more correct. Unfortunately, the dude is the product of liberal section of European sects. He is used to slight Achebe after Achebe destroyed the cynical myth of Europeans with the classical essay of Africa as against the crap from Joseph Conrad.

Achebe with his trashy rejoinder to Conrad Art of Darkness is a poster boy of mediocrity, little wonder he won nothing significant.
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by BUHARIjubrin: 4:36am On Nov 05, 2017
Before you compare Soyinka with his lice-infested unshaven hair to the the Achebe just take a look at their kids.

While Achebe was training his kids, Soyinka was gyrating with his cult members . Now Chimamanda is even becoming more popular than Soyinka while Soyinka's kids are no where to be found
Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by BUHARIjubrin: 4:40am On Nov 05, 2017
Achebe married and maintained his family but Soyinka married 3 different women and divorced them all. ..haba

Anyway me I can't give out my daughter to a man with such a bushy hair.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Goes To Trump’s America by mrhowoto: 7:58am On Nov 05, 2017
goldrushbooks:

Achebe with his trashy rejoinder to Conrad Art of Darkness is a poster boy of mediocrity, little wonder he won nothing significant.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Jonathan Openly Congratulated President Buhari But Went Behind to Reject It / STANEL Awka Is One! / Killing Of ESN Commander, Ikonso Don Disastrous – Ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.