Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries (42840 Views)

3 Sweet Things That Keep Sending Many Men To Their Early Graves / Gang Kidnaps 17 American Missionaries In Haiti / King Leopold II Write A Letter To Christian Missionaries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 05, 2017
A new study reveals how the missions field continues to become increasingly global—in some surprising ways. One example: South Korea has lost its No. 2 sending spot to four unlikely contenders.

The Center for the Study of Global Christianity (CSGC) at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary calculates that Christians sent out approximately 400,000 international missionaries in 2010. [/b]And nearly half of the world's top missionary-sending countries are now located in the global South.

[b]The CSGC reports that "of the ten countries sending the most missionaries in 2010, three were in the global South: Brazil, South Korea, and India." Other notable missionary senders included South Africa, the Philippines, Mexico, China, Colombia, and Nigeria.

However, the United States still tops the chart by far in terms of total missionaries, sending 127,000 in 2010 compared to the 34,000 sent by No. 2-ranked Brazil.

But examine the data differently—in terms of missionaries sent per million church members—and Palestine comes out on top at 3,401 sent, followed by Ireland, Malta, and Samoa. (Interestingly, South Korea ranks No. 5 at 1,014 missionaries sent per million church members, a sign of the continued strength of its missions movement compared to the No. 9-ranked United States at 614 missionaries sent).

The CSGC says U.S. dominance is part of a persistent missions imbalance: "The 10 countries that sent the most international missionaries in 2010 were home to 32 percent of the world's church members but sent almost 73 percent of all international missionaries."

Meanwhile, most missionaries continue to go to mostly Christian nations. "The 'top nine' receiving countries were home to only 3.5% of the world's non-Christians but received more than 34% of all international missionaries," notes the CSGC. "All nine have Christian majorities, and they were home to over 34% of the world's Christians in 2010."

By contrast, "The ten countries with the most non-Christians in 2010 were home to 73% of all non-Christians globally. Because many of them restrict or deny missionary access, however, they received only 9% of all international missionaries," notes the CSGC. The lion's share are in China, India, and Nigiera, where "large numbers of home missionaries also work among non-Christians."

The country that received the most missionaries in 2010? The United States, with 32,400 sent from other nations.

Also interesting is the fact that South Korea, which previously occupied the No. 2 spot (as detailed in a 2006 CT cover story, "Missions Incredible"wink, now appears to have been eclipsed by unlikely contenders. According to the CSGC, Brazil, France, Spain, and Italy all sent more missionaries than South Korea did in 2010. (Browse the full results on pp. 76-77 of the report.)

Meanwhile:

...The countries receiving the most missionaries per million people are overwhelmingly in Oceania and the Caribbean and have majority Christian populations. More striking, the ten countries that received the most missionaries per million non-Christians averaged almost one for every seven. This includes Samoa, at the top of the list, received more than one missionary for every three non-Christians. None of these countries was less than 90% Christian and only three were less than 95%. Suriname, with a bare Christian majority (51%), ranked 93rd on the list, while Albania, the highest-ranked country with a true Christian minority (32%), ranked 137th out of 232 countries. In addition, Samoa received one missionary for every 2.5 non-Christians. Tonga received one missionary for every 7.4 non-Christians, and Micronesia one for every 11.1 non-Christians.
publicpolicy.pepperdine.edu/masters-13
The CSGC also estimates that in just seven years, more than 9 in 10 people in the world will be religious, up 2 percent over similar data collected in 2010. It predicts that Christianity will be only the fifth-fastest growing religion in the world, coming in behind the Baha'i faith, Islam, Sikhism, and Jainism.

CT has previously reported on research that examines the future of Christianity, as well as on trends in the faith such as the "end of nominal Protestantism." Last September, CT spotlighted Asian American religiosity, noting that Asian American evangelicals are more likely than white evangelicals to say that Christianity is the only path to eternal life.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2013/july/missionaries-countries-sent-received-csgc-gordon-conwell.html

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nbote(m): 10:53am On Nov 05, 2017
Don't worry d ones leaving from Nigeria are actually escaping d country

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 05, 2017
sarutobie:

Pained hypocrites! I thought you all were making it seem like it was only Nigerians who are religious..seems like even the much developed countries still have myriad of Christians who are e even more aggressive in propagating the gospel than their Nigerian counterpart...
Indeed, an average Nigerian Christian is not as extreme as an American Evangelical. I remembered during the supreme court ruling on homosexuality in USA many Christian registrars were resigning rather than issue an Homosexual marriage certificate - I was proud of them. If you go to Tennessee you would be shocked to see a Judge reading out a sentence and asking the offender to go copy a part of the bible cheesy Their positions on issues such as Homosexuality, Abortion, Isreal is way too extreme. For instance a typical American Evangelical does not belief in Abortion even if the woman was raped. American Christianity is by no means dead but it also needs rekindling. However Europe is dead and almost buried but we must resurrect it! The problem of Europe is that it lacks ministers with fire. No society, no matter how wealthy or advanced can resist the power force behind Christianity. Be it in Beverly Hills or in Instabul, the Holy Spirit can break into any territory so far there is a man available.

United States has the total highest with 127,000 but Palestine has the highest missionaries/total Christians at 3,000.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 05, 2017
Nbote:
Don't worry d ones leaving from Nigeria are actually escaping d country
Nigeria is not even in the top 10. When it comes to mission work no one beats US, South Korea and Brazil. These Three Countries has some of the most radical missionaries. They are the ones who dare go into Islamic Nations. While the South Korean missionaries are actively involved in smuggling ppl out of North Korea into the South.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nbote(m): 10:57am On Nov 05, 2017
Statsocial:

Nigeria is not even in the top 10.

Becos most of dem only want to go to Western countries. Its an avenue to "check out"

7 Likes

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by An2elect2(f): 11:03am On Nov 05, 2017
With the ugly brand of Christianity going on here, we are in dire need of true gospel ministers.

15 Likes

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 05, 2017
Nbote:

Becos most of dem only want to go to Western countries. Its an avenue to "check out"
Issorait let the Americans go middle east they've enjoyed all their lives. Plus when they run into trouble they have the US dept of States to call upo. We Nigerians can't be jumping from fry pan to fire. We want to focus on rechristianizing Europe grin

Lalasticlala

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by DanseMacabre(m): 11:10am On Nov 05, 2017
Who the missionaries epp sef The world keeps turning into a global shiithole by the day, regardless of how religious people claim to be. Who religion epp

And those ISIS people too, can't they be called missionaries in their own right, afterall aren't they propagating the gospel of Islam, albeit radically?

3 Likes

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 05, 2017
DanseMacabre:
Who the missionaries epp sef The world keeps turning into a global shiithole by the day, regardless of how religious people claim to be. Who religion epp

And those ISIS people too, can't they be called missionaries in their own right, afterall aren't they propagating the gospel of Islam, albeit radically?

You people talk about things you really don't know. There is no friendship between any two religions. As a matter of fact Christianity as eradicated more religions in the world than Atheism or secularism would ever do. And we would continue to eradicate more. I don't care about Religion at all I care about Christianity so when you compare ISIS to Missionaries I just laugh. Indeed they are practicing their own religion beliefs but we are at two opposite end of a pole.

And actually the world isn't getting worse it is actually getting very better and sweeter by the day. I don't know what you think you've faced in life but belief me the people of Old had it worse. There is far more peace in the world today, medical advances, technological breakthrough, Slavery has practically ended, Child Mortality has reduced everywhere. Women have more rights.
Indeed, I am not King of any Kingdom but I tell you I am living a far more comfortable life than even Solomon. Or did Solomon ever had the Privilege of flying in a Plane, sleeping on a big awesome foamy bed, or even have the opportunity of watching Premiership. You live in great times my friend! Don't let the Devil tell you a Lie.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 05, 2017
An2elect2:
With the ugly brand of Christianity going on here, we are in dire need of true gospel ministers.
There is always tendency for us as a people to put down what we have. If you study some of the horrors that European Christians did during the times of the Spanish Inquisition etc then you would give an award to Nigeria pastors who steal money.
Well, many of the errors of Nigeria's brand of Christianity has been identified and I belief over time churches will evolve to trash out those problems.
The decentralization of Churches as at the era of the Catholic Church eventually turned out for the good and evil of the Church. It unfortunately meant that reform will be hard to implement as many clergies are doing their own thing and call it God's 'directive' and it is impossible for anyone to put them in order.
But it also worked to the good of the Church in that no particular problem would last for two generations as there is constant review of doctrines and practices in many quarters and no particular clergy has such a wide enough influence to brainwash all of Christianity's population. At worse you will brainwash your Church members but not the entire 2 billion Christians.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by GoodMuyis(m): 4:09pm On Nov 05, 2017
Statsocial:

There is always tendency for us as a people to put down what we have. If you study some of the horrors that European Christians did during the times of the Spanish Inquisition etc then you would give an award to Nigeria pastors who steal money. Well many of the errors of Nigeria's brand of Christianity has been identified and I belief over time churches will evolve to trash out those problems.The decentralization of Churches as at the era of the Catholic Church eventually turned out for the good and evil of the Church. It unfortunately meant that reform will be hard to implement as many clergies are doing their own thing and call it God's 'directive' and it is impossible for anyone to put them in order. But it also worked to the good of the Church in that no particular problem would last for two generations as there is constant review of doctrines and practices in many quarters and no particular clergy has such a wide enough influence to brainwash all of Christianity's population. At worse you will brainwash your Church members but not the entire 2 billion Christians.

God bless and grease your Brain and mine too.

The last time I read about Papacy's reign and the sales of indulgence, I felt so sad for those generation. Christ was ridicule and accused of being unmerciful, the Redemptive Work of Grace was turned to what you obtained by religiously define work instead of faith in the atoning blood of Christ.

In another hand I was disappointed in European who are frontier of the Gospel, who are now backsliding.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Desyner: 5:57pm On Nov 05, 2017
Where is our beloved Naija.
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by NwaAmaikpe: 5:57pm On Nov 05, 2017
shocked

I don't trust these missionaries.

My uncle who is 89 years old is half-caste.
His mom was impreganated by a missionary.

Please don't ask me the origin of the phrase, 'Missionary style'

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Afam4eva(m): 5:58pm On Nov 05, 2017
Statsocial:

Nigeria is not even in the top 10. When it comes to mission work no one beats US, South Korea and Brazil. These Three Countries has some of the most radical missionaries. They are the ones who dare go into Islamic Nations. While the South Korean missionaries are actively involved in smuggling ppl out of North Korea into the South.
Nigeria sends people to go and open church businesses throughout the world but never missionaries.

9 Likes

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by alBHAGDADI: 5:59pm On Nov 05, 2017
Keep the good work brothers.

God will protect you all.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by AishaBuhari: 5:59pm On Nov 05, 2017
Muslims nko? cheesy

Who's sending and receiving them too? cheesy
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by ivolt: 6:00pm On Nov 05, 2017
When they can't convince their fellow smart citizens.
They spread out to uncivilized and unenlightened part
of the world, where there are sizable population of the
gullible people and desperados.

2 Likes

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Bari22: 6:00pm On Nov 05, 2017
Nigeria
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by DIKEnaWAR: 6:01pm On Nov 05, 2017
Ok
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by DozieInc(m): 6:02pm On Nov 05, 2017
Nigeria not i top 10
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by jonnytad(m): 6:02pm On Nov 05, 2017
Waiting for some people to comment, trust me, dey won't disappoint......
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by lilytender: 6:02pm On Nov 05, 2017
Statsocial:
United States has the total highest with 127,000 but Palestine has the highest missionaries/total Christians at 3,000

Some nonentities in Nigeria are clamouring that Israel must kill all Palestinians because these Nigerian Christian fools think all Palestinians are Muslims so they should all be killed by the God most beloved Israelites.

6 Likes

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Achorise: 6:03pm On Nov 05, 2017
Christianity will grow stronger despite the negetive influences of some teachers
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Greatmind23: 6:03pm On Nov 05, 2017
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by tolexy007(m): 6:04pm On Nov 05, 2017
g
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by ednut1(m): 6:05pm On Nov 05, 2017
U dem no dey send to middle east These guys are real xtains preaching to win souls and not tithe. Am sure the missionaries who sacrified thier lives in the jungles of nigeria are turning in their graves with the kind of xtainity we dey practise here.

2 Likes

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:05pm On Nov 05, 2017
Christianity will only wax stronger and stronger

Atheism is dead

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by alBHAGDADI: 6:05pm On Nov 05, 2017
AishaBuhari:
Muslims nko? cheesy
Who's sending and receiving them too? cheesy
ISIS, Boko Haram, Al Qaeda, etc

2 Likes

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 05, 2017
I knew Nigeria must make the list, business men missionaries

Augustap

1 Like

Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by salford1: 6:08pm On Nov 05, 2017
Afam4eva:

Nigeria sends people to go and open church businesses throughout the world but never missionaries.
cheesy cheesy
Re: Top Countries Sending And Receiving Christian Missionaries by Adaumunocha(f): 6:09pm On Nov 05, 2017
Where's Nigeria?
Ooops we lack selfless workers of the Lord here.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Day A Runs Girl Met Her Lord / Andrew Ejimadu Arrested In Zambia For Sleeping With A Minor. Photos / Bible Emergency Numbers That Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.