Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,398 members, 7,812,171 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss (1412 Views)

Olisa Metuh Goes On Hunger Strike / Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria / UK To Refurbish Lagos Prisons Ahead Of Deportation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by PeeDaVinci: 1:54pm On Mar 19, 2010
Switzerland has halted special flights to deport asylum seekers after a Nigerian man on hunger strike died on the tarmac at Zurich airport.

Swiss police say they had shackled the 29-year-old man, who was being forcibly deported along with 15 other Nigerians whose asylum bids had been rejected.

When he fell ill on Wednesday the police took off his shackles and a doctor tried in vain to revive him.

Swiss authorities have launched an investigation into the incident.

Police said they had shackled the man because he had resisted deportation.

Two Nigerian witnesses quoted by the Swissinfo news website accused the police of inhumane treatment.

"They treated us like animals," said one, called Emmanuel.

"They shackled our feet, knees, hands, hips, arms and torso and made us wear a helmet like those worn by boxers. It was simply impossible to move," he said.

The man who died was a drug-dealer who had been on hunger strike for several days.

It is the third such death in Switzerland since 1999.

Last year there were 43 special repatriation flights from Switzerland, deporting some 360 people, mostly to the Balkans or Africa, Swissinfo reports.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8576085.stm
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by uktrader: 3:29pm On Mar 19, 2010
Another drug dealer. If you don't eat then you will eventually die! The Swiss people should not feel guilty for this, they just so many unwelcome Nigerians around the world causing many problems to the local people. stay home and this should solve the problem.
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by netotse(m): 3:35pm On Mar 19, 2010
what did the man hope to achieve by the hunger strike? abeg jo. . .they should send his body to his family. . .
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by DrKnow1(m): 3:38pm On Mar 19, 2010
uktrader:

Another drug dealer. If you don't eat then you will eventually die! The Swiss people should not feel guilty for this, they just so many unwelcome Nigerians around the world causing many problems to the local people. stay home and this should solve the problem.

Don't be too quick to judge others since you were not there. He was[b] allegedly [/b] labelled a drug dealer. These people would say anything to back up their actions. We are talking about the death of a fellow Nigerian under suspicious circumstances. I bet you won't say the same thing if he was your brother.
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by oge4real(f): 3:49pm On Mar 19, 2010
This story sounds somehow. A drug dealer seeking for asylum? then he embarked on hunger strike when denied?
I guess some bits are missing in this plot.

Also, if the shackles described here are actually true, then the human rights watch organisations should do something about it. I know our government do not mind.
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by uktrader: 4:23pm On Mar 19, 2010
Many Nigerians are being shipped/deported back to home land of Nigeria on a daily basis costing foreign counties $$$. why can't Nigerians obtain the right documents (Not Fake) or just stay put in the their lovely county. You are causing too much problems around the world more than any other minority group.
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by otawa: 4:44pm On Mar 19, 2010
uktrader:

Many Nigerians are being shipped/deported back to home land of Nigeria on a daily basis costing foreign counties $$$. why can't Nigerians obtain the right documents (Not Fake) or just stay put in the their lovely county. You are causing too much problems around the world more than any other minority group.

CRAP, if you ask me. Loads of it.
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by uktrader: 5:25pm On Mar 19, 2010
otawa:

CRAP, if you ask me. Loads of it.

If this is crap then why do you need visa to to go to any country outside Africa. some counties are adopting stricter visa conditions on Nigerians. I have visited a lot of countries and Nigerians are the most undesirable people. for example, I now work in Thailand and I know that half of the foreign prisoners are from Nigeria. Why?
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by Thor(m): 5:27pm On Mar 19, 2010
So he died, so what, who cares. He was an illegal alien and had no right to live in Switzerland. It was his choice that he starved himself to death.

No sympathy whatsoever lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by oderemo(m): 5:38pm On Mar 19, 2010
So he died, so what, who cares. He was an illegal alien and had no right to live in Switzerland. It was his choice that he starved himself to death.

No sympathy whatsoever

bro, you are cold.whaoh.
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by DrKnow1(m): 9:19pm On Mar 19, 2010
^^^
Cold, foo.lish and ignorant
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by Sagamite(m): 11:55pm On Mar 19, 2010
If he is genuinely a drug-dealer being deported, then good riddance.
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by RichyBlacK(m): 12:07am On Mar 20, 2010
Thor:

No sympathy whatsoever lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

May such a calamity befall you. Amen.
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by Thor(m): 10:11am On Mar 25, 2010
Considering you are located in Mogatissue, Somalia, I think you must already be dead, at least in spirit tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss by chosen04(f): 10:18am On Mar 25, 2010
Thor:

Considering you are located in Mogatissue, Somalia, I think you must already be dead, at least in spirit tongue tongue

BACK TO SENDER.====AMEN

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Gift To Workers: Minimum Wage Now N18,000 / Nigeria Vehicle Imports Down 43 Pct So Far This Year / I Can End Violent Crimes With 5,000 Policemen — Ribadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.