Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria (17072 Views)

21-year-old Nigerian Commits Suicide In UK Over Fear Of Deportation / UK To Refurbish Lagos Prisons Ahead Of Deportation / Nigerian Died Of Deportation-Resisting Hunger Strike In Swiss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by BlackPikiN(m): 12:32am On Jan 26, 2013
Immigration detainee found hanged
Watchdog report criticises prison

An inquest into the death of a detainee heard he killed himself because he feared being sent back to Nigeria.

Riliwanu Balogan was found hanged at Glen Parva Young Offender's Institute in Leicester a day after his 21st birthday in 2011.

The inquest heard he had told staff he had nothing to live for.

The hearing coincided with the release of a report which said the centre had improved but there were still problems.

'Living in the slums'
The jury inquest, which is expected to finish on Thursday, heard Mr Balogan moved to the UK when he was seven-years-old and spent much of his childhood in institutions.

He was transferred to Glen Parva, which holds men aged 18 to 21, in April 2011 to await deportation.

The morning he was found hanged on 8 May 2011 he was assessed by staff after cutting himself.

Paul Mayfield, a senior prison officer, said at the hearing: "He told me he had nothing to live for. He said 'I'll be deported back to Nigeria. I've got no-one back there. I'll be living in the slums'."

He was taken to Leicester Royal Infirmary after staff tried to revive him but died a week later.

The hearing also heard he had a string of previous convictions and that at the end of April he struggled to speak to a nurse because he was sobbing so hard.

An interim report by the HM Inspectorate of Prisons, released on Wednesday, showed the institute was "making sufficient progress" since its last inspection in 2009.

Inspectors, who visited after Mr Balogan's death, said they were pleased to see improvements in the management of vulnerable prisoners and that suicide and self-harm was "generally well managed".

But concerns were raised over dirty accommodation and the limited amount of time detainees spent outside their cells.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21157755

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:05am On Jan 26, 2013
So is hell better than Nigeria now

Or did he decided to dice it between chances and luck? undecided

R.I.P though.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Nobody: 1:10am On Jan 26, 2013
Yeye... sha.. RIP..
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by redsun(m): 2:21am On Jan 26, 2013
Legit1: So is hell better than Nigeria now

R.I.P though.

He is Not going to hell,he is dead and at peace. While you remain in turmoil in the living hell that he avoided.

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by OneNaira6: 5:17am On Jan 26, 2013
Legit1: So is hell better than Nigeria now

R.I.P though.

How do you know the dude is going to hell?

Anyway, is Nigeria any better. Boko haram up north, Ritualist and robbery SW. Kidnappers SE and SS. Which side is safe?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by onila(f): 5:31am On Jan 26, 2013
One_Naira:

How do you know the dude is going to hell?

Anyway, is Nigeria any better. Boko haram up north, Ritualist and robbery SW. Kidnappers SE and SS. Which side is safe?
grin grin
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 26, 2013
redsun:

He is Not going to hell,he is dead and at peace. While you remain in turmoil in the living hell that he avoided.

Go hang yourself too na undecided

29 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 26, 2013
dat name suppose be Balogun!
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Smartjeezy(m): 9:27am On Jan 26, 2013
Speechless!
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by bunchyproject(m): 9:29am On Jan 26, 2013
Too bad sad
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by mrkels(m): 9:31am On Jan 26, 2013
He was just a troubled and somewhat unfortunate kid

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by soma042(m): 9:32am On Jan 26, 2013
lacking courage to survive .
Cowardly act

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by yuzedo: 9:32am On Jan 26, 2013
mrkels: Did he die?

cheesy

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by safarigirl(f): 9:34am On Jan 26, 2013
So if he were a Somalian citizen, he would have organised his death and amputation rather than be deported abi?

Olori burukun, mumu ode, na so oyibo land dey sweet am reach, then the rest of us wey dey here nko? Mtcheeww, another lost he-goat.

They say we should respect the dead, but if you're dumb ebough to kill yourself for something fo trivial, you deserve to be trampled upon and thrown into the deepest part of Hades

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 26, 2013
The fear of naija.......
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by mrkels(m): 9:37am On Jan 26, 2013
@safari gurl word...I made fun of this post before, but then again I remembered not every one got the courage to deal with unfortunate events in their life, at some point or the other everybody needs someone to help them go through difficult times, I guess he had none and that was really sad and depressing for him. Its just too bad

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by labamo07(m): 9:38am On Jan 26, 2013
Why should I even comment sef............abeg next jor......hopeless kid
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by yuzedo: 9:38am On Jan 26, 2013
BlackPikiN:
The hearing also heard he had a string of previous convictions and that at the end of April he struggled to speak to a nurse because he was sobbing so hard.
This here is so damn touching, pitiful & sobering! cry cry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Truckpusher(m): 9:38am On Jan 26, 2013
With the trauma he must have passed through as an abandoned child raised in a foster home and about to be deported to Nigeria with no proper counseling ,honestly he had nothing to live for....most of us won't understand the huge burden that finally made this young man to chose the easy way out, but i'll pray for his soul....he's just one too many killed by our no love attitude to those that has nobody to love and care for them....

Finally UK govt una tryooohh,well done ,after all you stole from Africa you couldn't let this unfortunate soul live in your streets...smdh

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by WebSurfer(m): 9:39am On Jan 26, 2013
Confused fellon
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by fittty(m): 9:39am On Jan 26, 2013
Ok
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by freecocoa(f): 9:42am On Jan 26, 2013
Who took him to the UK in the first place? Abi was he abandoned like someone said? Na wa o.
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by vivaciousvivi(f): 9:43am On Jan 26, 2013
He had a history of cutting himself which also showed he had suicidal tendencies. This was an adolescent crying out for help. Did anyone in authority try to find out why he was abandoned by his family? D cause of his emotional trauma? No, they just assumed deportation is d answer. May his troubled soul RIP.

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by informatix: 9:47am On Jan 26, 2013
this make no sense. uk citizens too are commiting suicide.
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Truckpusher(m): 9:47am On Jan 26, 2013
vivacious vivi: He had a history of cutting himself which also showed he had suicidal tendencies. This was an adolescent crying out for help. Did anyone in authority try to find out why he was abandoned by his family? D cause of his emotional trauma? No, they just assumed deportation is d answer. May his troubled soul RIP.
That is to show you man's inhumanity to fellow man when you're down the ladder of life....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Agbgift(f): 9:47am On Jan 26, 2013
He is an idoit.
Re: Nigerian Hangs Himself In UK Over Fear Of Deportation To Nigeria by Feedmemore(f): 9:48am On Jan 26, 2013
freecocoa: Who took him to the UK in the first place? Abi was he abandoned like someone said? Na wa o.
I'm am assuming you did not bother to read the thread before commenting.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

9 Kogi Workers Die Of Hunger Waiting For Unpaid Salaries / PDP Behind Economic Crisis In Osun – APC / 2019: Gov Obiano's Special Adviser, Leads Buhari's Campaign In The South East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.