Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,160 members, 7,829,144 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Nigerian Taken India As A Home - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Taken India As A Home (1001 Views)

Oshiomhole Having His Portrait Taken (Picture) / Good News! Shanty Boy Finds A Home / Exxon Mobil Oso Field Attacked. Nigerian Hostages Taken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Taken India As A Home by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 19, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/ArtsandCulture/Travel/5542645-146/daring_delhi____.csp

Last January I moved to Delhi from Lagos - two cities that are bustling, over-crowded and noisy. Lagos I hate, because of the chaotic nature; Delhi I love because of its chaotic nature too. This is ironical. But the main reason why I left Lagos, no, Nigeria is because I couldn't stand it, I couldn't fit into the society. I was told that I couldn't speak Pidgin English very well, that I hated Nigeria because I was always whining and complaining and also because I was so irritated by its heavy traffic.

My first visit to Delhi was in 2006 and since then, I've been returning, studying it closely with the eye of an anthropologist and working towards a decision: to stay or not to stay. Gradually studying the treatment of Black people, or Africans in Delhi, I realised it would be tough for me to stay. I kept coming and going. But the more I stayed out of Delhi, the more I missed it. And whenever I went back to Lagos, I would be engulfed with the wind of depression. I just didn't understand myself. The truth is that whenever I was in Lagos, I missed Delhi, but when I come to Delhi, I don't ever think of Lagos. Or maybe, when I think of Lagos, I laugh. Oh, Lagos is a beautiful city, the people are beautiful, but personally, I can't stand it.

Wanting out

I would have moved to Abuja, the capital of Nigeria, because of its serenity and solitude, but the issue is that I was tired of Nigeria and I wanted out.

Many circumstances helped my move to Delhi: my university was shut down during the month of January that I was working on the idea because the Vice Chancellor had single-handedly increased the tuition fees. Students found this irritating and rioted.

Two, the Jaipur Literature Festival was taking place here in India and I was attending as a delegate with my publisher. Three, I was coming to undergo eye surgery. Four, I had applied to study screenwriting in a film school here in Delhi. Five, I wasn't staying with my parents and I could move fast.

And my parents didn't get to know that I was relocating to Delhi until the morning of my departure. My flight ticket had been booked; my luggage packed and I had trimmed my shabby hair to look a bit responsible, although it turned out that it didn't work. My kind of hair, many people have said, makes me look irresponsible and doesn't look good on me. "Writers don't keep such hair," they keep saying. And who does? Musicians, they tell me. Well, well. Music is an art. Writing is an art form too. So?

I'm home

On getting to Delhi from Doha that January morning, it was cold and foggy. I smiled. Yes, boss, I'm home. This is exactly what I said to myself as I came out to the arrivals lounge. My publisher saw the excitement on my face. He probably thought I was smiling at the taxiwallas at the airport or anything. No, I was smiling for I had gotten home. I couldn't hold myself. I was excited. The bit of depression on my face quickly disappeared. But one thing lay ahead. I had left my home, a beautiful house, a comfortable family, where I didn't need to work to eat, to come and settle in India, where I'm not going to get any job of any sort. Still, I was happy to be home.

On settling in Delhi, I began to make contacts, started looking out for newspapers and magazines I could start writing for, at least to support myself. I couldn't find. Quickly, I sneaked into the literary circle of Delhi and began to enjoy the company of its writers that I forgot that I have no job. I could call home for money and if it was there, it would be sent. If not, I try other options, but what other options are there?

My first novel, ‘The Abyssinian Boy' has done wonderfully well in Nigeria and it's going to be made into a film here in Delhi by Danish film-maker, Lasse Lau and this is also one of the reasons of coming to settle here. The book put me on the literary map in Nigeria, because people say it is a strange story: about a South Indian Tamil Brahmin essayist who marries an East Nigerian Christian woman, who is stuck reading Salman Rushdie's ‘Midnight's Children' for nine years.

I never knew I would leave Nigeria to settle elsewhere. I've always wanted to leave, but to settle? No. Never thought of it. And look at my destination: India. I wonder how many that could take the risk. But I tell you the truth: India is a land of inspiration, a country I will always be proud of. At least, I could have access to libraries, research centres under a mild weather and also eat cheap, but very good food, afford to pay my house rent, even without a job here and write on my barsati when I want, with electricity not being a problem. I can attend a writers' gathering and return around one in the morning, without fear of being attacked by armed robbers.

Like it or hate it, Delhi has become my home.

Onyeka Nwelue is author of The Abyssinian Boy. He lives in South Delhi.
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 19, 2010
i agreed with you sir i have live inIndia for almost 2year while doing my MSC, i love india the government of india have try alots in making life comfortable for an Average people. the cost of living in India is very cheap, while going toschool on a Bus like a Journey from Oshodi to CMS will cost just 5 Ruppees (#15) and also to eat Chicken fried rice is just 15 Ruppes (#45) also Indian Samosa (Local Meatpie) is 2 ruppes (#6) with Chai (Tea) also same price, so with just #20 in India you can have ur breakfast and also remember that 1 hour flight in India especially on Jet Airway,Air India will cost just RS1,300 bout #4,500, The goverment of India have done alots in making life eazy that is why the Indians always proud of thier country.

For Nigeria to be where India is now it will take 50 years for us to get there and this can only be possible if we can do the Electricity, Railways system and Agriculture, Mass farming, irrigration,poultry etc.

I love Nigeria But you can never compare Nigeria to India.

God will help Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by FACE(m): 3:47pm On Mar 19, 2010
Na today ? Nigerian taken Amerika as a home, nigerian taken russia as a home, nigerian taken the moon as a home. Who cares where you "taken" as home ?

O.k I "taken" Jerico as a home and my parents no sabi say I dey go Jerico until the morning of my departure.
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by irohadis: 4:14pm On Mar 19, 2010
This is called privilege. Being able to do what you love, live where you love and hang out in bohemian circles without worrying about money or supporting any one but yourself? This is called privilege. I am also an artist who 11 years ago made a splash in Lagos. Got my first ticket out of the country to Europe and took it and ran. I so badly wanted to go globetrotting, meeting other artists around the world and showing my work along the way. But, one look at the waiting hands in Nigerian changed my course. I stayed back in a country I didn't love, under less free conditions, and significantly changed my career trajectory. Yes I got a PhD to show for my time there, yes I have money in the bank, but I barely know who I am and still trying to retrace my steps back to before I left. Reading your article reminded me that there are lots of Nigerians who would like such freedom but can't afford it. That is, I am not talking about those who can't leave the country because of no money; I am talking about people who would move to America or Europe when they can be happier in Namibia or Ghana or India because they are moving to make cash.
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by oderemo(m): 4:20pm On Mar 19, 2010
O.k I "taken" Jerico as a home and my parents no sabi say I dey go Jerico until the morning of my departure.

lmao grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by FACE(m): 4:52pm On Mar 19, 2010
irohadis:

This is called privilege. Being able to do what you love, live where you love and hang out in bohemian circles without worrying about money or supporting any one but yourself? This is called privilege. I am also an artist who 11 years ago made a splash in Lagos. Got my first ticket out of the country to Europe and took it and ran. I so badly wanted to go globetrotting, meeting other artists around the world and showing my work along the way. But, one look at the waiting hands in Nigerian changed my course. I stayed back in a country I didn't love, under less free conditions, and significantly changed my career trajectory. Yes I got a PhD to show for my time there, yes I have money in the bank, but I barely know who I am and still trying to retrace my steps back to before I left. Reading your article reminded me that there are lots of Nigerians who would like such freedom but can't afford it. That is, I am not talking about those who can't leave the country because of no money; I am talking about people who would move to America or Europe when they can be happier in Namibia or Ghana or India because they are moving to make cash.

I think I know who you are. Did u go to UNN ? Lived in Ireland and enjoyed bell ringing ?
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by dustydee: 5:08pm On Mar 19, 2010
waoh!never seen India in this light.Now i want to visit Delhi
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by irohadis: 5:33pm On Mar 19, 2010
Face, you must know me indeed. I went to UNN and lived in Ireland for 6 years. How do you know?
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by FACE(m): 5:54pm On Mar 19, 2010
Ok then, Now I can say that I know you very well . How's madam ? Are you on my book ,[b]face[/b]book ?
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by irohadis: 5:57pm On Mar 19, 2010
I can't identify you with your Nairaland handle. I am on facebook and madam is well.
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by FACE(m): 6:11pm On Mar 19, 2010
Ok, check your facebook
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by irohadis: 6:18pm On Mar 19, 2010
Ok! I see how easy it would have been for you to identify me. Need to change my handle. Too much of a giveaway. My person, na you de waka like snake?
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by FACE(m): 6:49pm On Mar 19, 2010
I thought I knew you once I saw your user name, but your post about your waka convinced me. If na espionage you go, na so dem for catch you.

Na so I take identify one of my tenants for here and he was shocked when I told him in real life.

Howz life tho ?
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by ikeyman00(m): 7:54pm On Mar 19, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@

and does that replicate the reason the so called Indians oversea refuses to go home ehuhhhhhhh??

plz poster tell us

too many India granny and papas all over the place shocked

the so called railway was built by the colonist right

India probably is more corrupt than Nigeria however commonsenses prevails
Re: Nigerian Taken India As A Home by mistakay: 11:26pm On Mar 19, 2010
ikeyman00:

@@@@@@@@@@@

India probably is more corrupt than Nigeria however commonsenses prevails

ha! ha! ha! true talk !!! lmao grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Ohakim And His 10,000 New Jobs / Ndigbooooo! Finally The Truth Is Out. . . . . . / Iyabo Obasanjo: 500 K Nigerian Women Commit Abortion Yearly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.