Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,518 members, 7,816,252 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Auchi Polytechnic At War And Need Urgent Attention - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Auchi Polytechnic At War And Need Urgent Attention (918 Views)

Auchi Polytechnic Student Crawls Into Her Class After Arriving Late (Pix, Video) / Auchi Polytechnic 2nd Batch ND/HND Admission List Is Out / Auchi Polytechnic ND PUTME Admission Screening Form, Date and cutoff mark Is Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Auchi Polytechnic At War And Need Urgent Attention by oshiokekadiri22: 10:00pm On Nov 05, 2017
A COMPREHENSIVE INTERVIEW WITH COMR. AMEDU MATTHEW, A FORMER SUG PRESIDENT OF AUCHI POLYTECHNIC ON THE CURRENT SUG VS MANAGEMENT CRISES.

By : Gabriel Aleke.

A former Students' Union Government President of Auchi Polytechnic has today for the first time since graduation and handing over his office in 2013, spoken to pressmen in Benin City of his opinions concerning the present situation rocking the students Union versus Management of the polytechnic.

Press: May we meet you sir?

Am Comr Amedu Matthew popularly known as A. M Express, a former Student Union Government President of Auchi polytechnic, I served in 2012/13 academic session under the Dr. Philip Idogho Led Administration.

Press : On 9th October 2017 , the Students of Auchi Polytechnic went on a protest that there must be SUG elections before the commencement of the second semester examination. What is your take on that action by the students?

Com Amedu :
Well, am not against the peaceful protest organised be the students and her Union against the action of the management, we are living in a Democratic society where everyone has the right to air their views. When I saw the peaceful protest photos and videos trending online on how the military men, police men, vigilantes and hunters assaulted, intimidated, harassed and infringed the students of their right to peaceful demonstration without infringing on the freedom of others, I immediately made calls to rescue the situation before casualties are recorded.

Though such protest ought to have come long before that day of examination but the students got an information that the Acting Rector is proposing a caretaker committee to take over from the erstwhile SUG without any cause. Thereby handpicking one of his favorite student as the head. The students see this as a stooge to be manipulated against the them soon and I also condemn such in totality.

Press : Sir, from the interview conducted so far, the PRO of the polytechnic, Mr Oshiobugie told news men that the SUG was proscribed. Under what condition can a Union be proscribed ? And if such is done, what happens thereafter?

Comr. Amedu :
The students Union Government can only be proscribed under these conditions:
1. If there is violence among its members resulting to destruction of properties. Which didn't occur.

2. If violence broke out during the conduct of a successive election to fill vacancies in the Union. This never happened because the election was never thought of by the Ag Rector Dr. Sanusi Jimah whom the students reported to have met on several occasions to ensure the election holds.

3. If there is a high level of misappropriation of funds by at least 2/3 members of the executive Council. No such thing happened.

4. If the Students Union Government engage in a destructive protest either within or outside the Polytechnic environment. The protest by the union was a peaceful one because I got videos online, nothing was destroyed despite the molestation on the instruction of the Ag Rector.

Now to your next question on, what happens next if the union is proscribed?

Com Amedu :
1. First and foremost, every member of the Union will evaluate their offices and official residents but the entire Union members are still in their respective official residents and operating their offices.

2. Every member of the proscribed Union will have no such power to operate under the proscribed office, yet the management still invite them to meeting under the capacity of their offices to represent the students.

3. All memo to them should be addressed with their names not the proscribed office but the memo I saw online posted by the SUG President carries their respective offices.

4. They can't hold any official meeting on behalf of the students but they have attended several meetings with the management on behalf of the students after the said prescription.

5. All Union properties, such as Vehicles, ID cards, etc. must be withdrawn, but the SUG executive President, Senate President and Chief Judge of the Union still drive the vehicles around and still possess the SUG Identity Cards.

From the forgoing, it's very clear that there must be an undertone to the crisis between the Students Union Government and the Management of Auchi Polytechnic.

Press :
What is the relationship between the SUG president's claims that the Acting Rector Dr Sanusi Jimah is using vigilantes and Hunters to harass students and the death of Lauretta Uloko who was killed by by a vigilante members 24 hrs after graduation?

Com Amedu:
Well it's so pathetic that the Uloko family of Etsako Central local government would loose such a bright future girl to an illiterate vigilante. The acting Rector has made the Polytechnic an animal farm and as such the entire students from in depth investigation carried out suffer treat, molestation and harassment from vigilantes and Hunters hired by the Acting Rector.

Today a young promising lady was killed and by the grace of God, the killers of Laurentta will not go Unpunished.

Press : Sir, The Management of Auchi Polytechnic has announced the conduct of the SUG election by 4th Nov., 2017 immediately after the Second Semester examination. Can we get your opinion on that?

Comr Amedu :
Well it is a good one that they finally bow to pressure because assuming the Union kept absolute mute, the Ag Rector would have handpicked a stooge for the students. Now to your question, I would say it's is just like "digging your nose to your mouth".

It's totally wrong to conduct an SUG election after a second semester examination. A lot of students will immediately travel home to join their parents which is not out of place for such students because the school is off session.

Today November 5th, 2017 the Students residing in the hostel complex were evacuated to return home and the same management is proposing election for 11th November 2017. What an irony, students sent home on 5th Nov and SUG election is 11th Nov 2017. This is a clear plan to manipulate the credible process of free and fair election of the SUG and to place his favorite candidate as a stooge. God help my Alma.

Secondly, which identity card do they want to use for accreditation before the students would vote? Because from all indication the students are yet to be issued identity card since first semester. This will further worsen issues as hoodlums can be used to hijack the process since there are no ID cards. No transparency.

Press: Series of letters has written to President Muhammad Buhari on this issue and other issues rocking the instruction since last year, what advice do you have on this?

I am a strong fan of President Buhari and I believe so much on his "no nonsense policy" in eradicating corruption in Nigeria. I want to use this medium to appeal to Mr President to please look into the issue of Auchi polytechnic and appoint a substantive Rector for the Polytechnic. An interview was conducted in July 2016 and the competent committee has long submitted their report on that. Sir please I want you to revisit the report of the committee that sat July 2016 and save Auchi polytechnic from sinking.

Press : it's nice talking with you today on this important issues, it's a privilege because am aware you have denied granting interview since 2013 that you handed over.

Com Amedu : As a stakeholder of Auchi polytechnic I believe it's high time I voice out to save my Alma Mata.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is There Change Btw One's CGPA And The One Calculated By The Department? / Meet Abdlateef Lukman The 2019 Best Garaduating Student Of FUDMA / Watch Video Of Unilag Student Who Turned To Mermaid!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.