Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,067 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? (766 Views)

Tithe... What The Bible Say About It? / Is It Your Tithe? What The Bible Says About Tithing. / What's The Bible's View Of Living Together Before Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by lovingJehovah: 1:28pm On Nov 07, 2017
A tenth part, or 10 percent, given or paid as a tribute, especially for religious purposes.

The Bible tells of two instances prior to the setting up of the Law covenant in which a tenth part of possessions was paid to God or to his representative. The first of these was on the occasion when Abraham gave Melchizedek one tenth of the spoils of his victory over Chedorlaomer and his allies. (Ge 14:18-20) The apostle Paul cites this incident as proof that Christ’s priesthood according to the manner of Melchizedek is superior to that of Levi, since Levi, being in the loins of Abraham, paid tithes, in effect, to Melchizedek. (Heb 7:4-10) The second case concerned Jacob, who vowed at Bethel to give one tenth of his substance to God.—Ge 28:20-22.

These two accounts, however, are merely instances of voluntarily giving one tenth. There is no record to the effect that Abraham or Jacob commanded their descendants to follow such examples, thereby establishing a religious practice, custom, or law. It would have been superfluous for Jacob, if already under a compulsory obligation to pay tithes, to vow to do so, as he did. It is therefore evident that the tithing arrangement was not a custom or a law among the early Hebrews. It was instituted with the inauguration of the Law covenant, not before.

MOSAIC TITHING LAWS
Jehovah gave Israel tithing laws for definite purposes, apparently involving the use of two tenths of their annual income, except during the Sabbath years, when no tithe was paid, since no income was anticipated. (Le 25:1-12) However, some scholars believe there was only one tithe. Such tithes were in addition to the firstfruits they were under obligation to offer to Jehovah.—Ex 23:19; 34:26.

The first tithe, consisting of one tenth of the produce of the land and fruit trees and (evidently of the increase) of the herds and flocks, was brought to the sanctuary and given to the Levites, since they had no inheritance in the land but were devoted to the service of the sanctuary. (Le 27:30-32; Nu 18:21, 24) The Levites, in turn, gave a tenth of what they received to the Aaronic priesthood for their support.—Nu 18:25-29.

Evidently the grain was threshed and the fruit of the vine and of the olive tree was converted into wine and oil before tithing. (Nu 18:27, 30; Ne 10:37) If an Israelite wished to give money instead of this produce, he could do so, provided he added an additional fifth to the valuation. (Le 27:31) But it was different with the flock and the herd. As the animals came out of the pen one by one through a gate, the owner stood by the gate with a rod and marked every tenth one as the tithe, without examination or selection.—Le 27:32, 33.

It seems there was an additional tithe, a second tenth, set aside each year for purposes other than the direct support of the Levitical priesthood, though the Levites shared in it. Normally it was used and enjoyed in large measure by the Israelite family when assembling together at the national festivals. In cases where the distance to Jerusalem was too great for the convenient transport of this tithe, then the produce was converted into money and this, in turn, was used in Jerusalem for the household’s sustenance and enjoyment during the holy convention there. (De 12:4-7, 11, 17, 18; 14:22-27) Then, at the end of every third and sixth years of the seven-year sabbatical cycle, this tithe, instead of being used to defray expenses at the national assemblies, was set aside for the Levites, alien residents, widows, and fatherless boys in the local community.—De 14:28, 29; 26:12.

These tithing laws binding on Israel were not excessive. Nor should it be overlooked that God promised to prosper Israel by opening “the floodgates of the heavens” if his tithing laws were obeyed. (Mal 3:10; De 28:1, 2, 11-14) When the people became negligent as to tithing, the priesthood suffered, for the priests and Levites were forced to spend their time in secular work and consequently neglected their ministerial services. (Ne 13:10) Such unfaithfulness tended to bring about a decline in true worship. Sadly, when the ten tribes fell away to calf worship, they used the tithe to support that false religion. (Am 4:4, 5) On the other hand, when Israel was faithful to Jehovah and was under the rule of righteous administrators, tithing for the Levites was restored, and true to Jehovah’s promise, there were no shortages.—2Ch 31:4-12; Ne 10:37, 38; 12:44; 13:11-13.

Under the Law there was no stated penalty to be applied to a person failing to tithe. Jehovah placed all under a strong moral obligation to provide the tithe; at the end of the three-year tithing cycle, they were required to confess before him that the tithe had been paid in full. (De 26:12-15) Anything wrongfully withheld was viewed as something stolen from God.—Mal 3:7-9.

By the first century C.E., the Jewish religious leaders, particularly among the scribes and Pharisees, were making a sanctimonious show of tithing and other outward works, in a form of worship, but their hearts were far removed from God. (Mt 15:1-9) Jesus reproved them for their selfish, hypocritical attitude, calling attention to their being meticulous to give a tenth even of “the mint and the dill and the cumin”—something they should have done—yet at the same time disregarding “the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness.” (Mt 23:23; Lu 11:42) By way of illustration, Jesus contrasted the Pharisee who boastfully felt self-righteous because of his own works of fasting and tithing, with the tax collector who, though considered as nothing by the Pharisee, humbled himself, confessed his sins to God, and begged for divine mercy.—Lu 18:9-14.

NO TITHING FOR CHRISTIANS
At no time were first-century Christians commanded to pay tithes. The primary purpose of the tithing arrangement under the Law had been to support Israel’s temple and priesthood; consequently the obligation to pay tithes would cease when that Mosaic Law covenant came to an end as fulfilled, through Christ’s death on the torture stake. (Eph 2:15; Col 2:13, 14) It is true that Levitical priests continued serving at the temple in Jerusalem until it was destroyed in 70 C.E., but Christians from and after 33 C.E. became part of a new spiritual priesthood that was not supported by tithes.—Ro 6:14; Heb 7:12; 1Pe 2:9.

As Christians, they were encouraged to give support to the Christian ministry both by their own ministerial activity and by material contributions. Instead of giving fixed, specified amounts to defray congregational expenses, they were to contribute “according to what a person has,” giving “as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” (2Co 8:12; 9:7) They were encouraged to follow the principle: “Let the older men who preside in a fine way be reckoned worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching. For the scripture says: ‘You must not muzzle a bull when it threshes out the grain’; also: ‘The workman is worthy of his wages.’” (1Ti 5:17, 18) However, the apostle Paul set an example in seeking to avoid bringing an undue financial burden on the congregation.—Ac 18:3; 1Th 2:9.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by MightySparrow: 1:36pm On Nov 07, 2017
Tithing is generating so much controversy because it is giving to God. Prayer is not because it is asking for God. Funny believers..

If you love God give Him 11% and stop complaining.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by DuchessLily(f): 1:37pm On Nov 07, 2017
MightySparrow:
Tithing is generating so much controversy because it is giving to God. Prayer is not because it is asking for God. Funny believers..

Abi ooo.. God bless u jare
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by PointZerom: 1:45pm On Nov 07, 2017
Even Freezer that can't man up in his marriage is telling me what to do with my money.

If you don't want me to be paying tithe, pls do what God is doing for me financially and will stop paying tithe.

1 Like

Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by lovingJehovah: 6:35pm On Nov 07, 2017
What you said is incorrect. The law of Tithing is older than anyone alive today. When we talk about it, we do not have anyone in mind. We are simply talking about the message in the Bible. Tithing belongs to the Mosaic law, but as Christians, we were not advised to pay Tithe in the new covenant.
MightySparrow:

1 Like

Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by MightySparrow: 12:32am On Nov 08, 2017
lovingJehovah:
What you said is incorrect. The law of Tithing is older than anyone alive today. When we talk about it, we do not have anyone in mind. We are simply talking about the message in the Bible. Tithing belongs to the Mosaic law, but as Christians, we were not advised to pay Tithe in the new covenant.

I hope you understand what you're trying to pass across.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by Nobody: 2:55am On Nov 08, 2017
PointZerom:
Even Freezer that can't man up in his marriage is telling me what to do with my money.

If you don't want me to be paying tithe, pls do what God is doing for me financially and will stop paying tithe.

Has pastor Chris Oyakhilomhen and Pastor Chris Okotie who are collecting tithes from man up in thier marriage?

2 Likes

Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by lovingJehovah: 5:34am On Nov 08, 2017
Absolutely! It is the Bible's viewpoint.
Tithing is not under the law of Christ. The law of Tithing is now useless or obsolete as the Bible puts it. Anyone asking for Tithe is lost in the law of Moses and he is still under the law. He is a Jew and not a Christian. When you are under the law, you must keep ALL the requirements of the law. If you collect Tithe and do not keep the Sabbath, you are sinning. If you collect Tithe and you are not a Levite, you are sinning. If you collect Tithe and you own a property, you are sinning. If you collect Tithe and you are a Christian, you are sinning. If you collect Tithe, you disown Jesus's ransom sacrifice.
Under the law, Tithe was paid to the Levites. The Levites and their offsprings must not own any property.
So, do you understand what you are paying and how sinful it is?
MightySparrow:

I hope you understand what you're trying to pass across.

1 Like

Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by PointZerom: 7:43am On Nov 08, 2017
life2017:

Has pastor Chris Oyakhilomhen and Pastor Chris Okotie who are collecting tithes from man up in thier marriage?

At least they're minding their businesses. Freezer and every other man that can't keep their homes cannot be my role model or advice me on spiritual matters.

1 Timothy 3:

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; .....
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by PointZerom: 7:47am On Nov 08, 2017
lovingJehovah:

Pls can you show me a place where you were outrightly advised not to pay tithe in the new covenant.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by lovingJehovah: 9:34am On Nov 08, 2017
Colossians 2:13, 14 ...He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.

Hebrews 8:13 In his saying “a new covenant,” he has made the former one obsolete...

John 13:34 I am giving you a new commandment

Galatians 6:2 Go on carrying the burdens of one another, and in this way you will fulfill the law of the Christ

The former one was called the law of Moses and in it contains the command to tithe. The new one is the law of the Christ and it contains the command to love. It is no longer by written law but by the heart.

Jesus erased the old law when he died for us. And there are no more Levites to collect any Tithe.

Acts 4:36-37 shows that after Jesus' death the Levites started owning properties which was against the law of Moses. Deuteronomy 18:1 "...the whole tribe of Levi--are to have no allotment or inheritance with Israel. They shall live on the food offerings presented to the LORD, for that is their inheritance.
Acts 4:36 So Joseph, who was also called by the apostles Barʹna·bas+ (which means, when translated, “Son of Comfort”), a Levite, a native of Cyʹprus, 37 owned a piece of land, and he sold it and brought the money and deposited it at the feet of the apostles.

PointZerom:

Pls can you show me a place where you were outrightly advised not to pay tithe in the new covenant.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by PointZerom: 9:40am On Nov 08, 2017
lovingJehovah:
Colossians 2:13, 14 ...He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.

Hebrews 8:13 In his saying “a new covenant,” he has made the former one obsolete...

John 13:34 I am giving you a new commandment

Galatians 6:2 Go on carrying the burdens of one another, and in this way you will fulfill the law of the Christ

The former one was called the law of Moses and in it contains the command to tithe. The new one is the law of the Christ and it contains the command to love. It is no longer by written law but by the heart.

Jesus erased the old law when he died for us. And there are no more Levites to collect any Tithe.

Acts 4:36-37 shows that after Jesus' death the Levites started owning properties which was against the law of Moses. Deuteronomy 18:1 "...the whole tribe of Levi--are to have no allotment or inheritance with Israel. They shall live on the food offerings presented to the LORD, for that is their inheritance.
Acts 4:36 So Joseph, who was also called by the apostles Barʹna·bas+ (which means, when translated, “Son of Comfort”), a Levite, a native of Cyʹprus, 37 owned a piece of land, and he sold it and brought the money and deposited it at the feet of the apostles.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets:I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by lovingJehovah: 10:02am On Nov 08, 2017
For a certainty, he came to fulfill the law and he did. It would be a failed mission for Jesus if what he said he came to do wasn't accomplished? When he said, "it is finished" was he lying? I came to fulfill - it is finished - DONE DEAL!! He fulfilled the law by dying on the stake.
If you still believe that the law has not been fulfilled, you make keep it but you must keep it all. Then you are a Jew and not a Christian.
Galatians 3:24 So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ, so that we might be declared righteous through faith. 25 But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian.
So, are you still under the law/guardian?

PointZerom:

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets:I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by PointZerom: 10:21am On Nov 08, 2017
lovingJehovah:
For a certainty, he came to fulfill the law and he did. It would be a failed mission for Jesus if what he said he came to do wasn't accomplished? When he said, "it is finished" was he lying? I came to fulfill - it is finished - DONE DEAL!! He fulfilled the law by dying on the stake.
If you still believe that the law has not been fulfilled, you make keep it but you must keep it all. Then you are a Jew and not a Christian.
Galatians 3:24 So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ, so that we might be declared righteous through faith. 25 But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian.
So, are you still under the law/guardian?

What's the diff btw Law and commandment?
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by lovingJehovah: 11:13am On Nov 08, 2017
They are synonymous in that they portray the same sense. The law contains detail of the commandment. It is an elaborated form of the commandment. In the law, you will find guidelines that fit an actual situation. For example, the commandment says, In Exodus 20:14, Thou shalt not commit adultery. In the law, it says in Exodus 22:16, "If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.

The Commandment is the sole on which the law stands.
PointZerom:

What's the diff btw Law and commandment?
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by PointZerom: 11:59am On Nov 08, 2017
lovingJehovah:
They are synonymous in that they portray the same sense. The law contains detail of the commandment. It is an elaborated form of the commandment. In the law, you will find guidelines that fit an actual situation. For example, the commandment says, In Exodus 20:14, Thou shalt not commit adultery. In the law, it says in Exodus 22:16, "If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.

The Commandment is the sole on which the law stands.

In that case, obeying the law is not a sin.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by lovingJehovah: 12:13pm On Nov 08, 2017
Absolutely not! As a matter of fact, we are required to obey the law. But the question is, what law are you obeying? Are you with the law of Moses or the law of Christ?
Jesus came to fulfill the law of Moses that was written down but the law of Christ is now by heart and it is summed up in LOVE.

So, which are you following?

PointZerom:

In that case, obeying the law is not a sin.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by chimmyjay: 2:34pm On Nov 08, 2017
lovingJehovah:
Absolutely not! As a matter of fact, we are required to obey the law. But the question is, what law are you obeying? Are you with the law of Moses or the law of Christ?
Jesus came to fulfill the law of Moses that was written down but the law of Christ is now by heart and it is summed up LOVE.

So, which are you following?

sir, I think you are missing something.

TITHING WAS BEFORE MOSES through whom the law came.
It was Abraham who first tithed, one of you said NO LEVITES TO COLLECT TITHES ANY LONGER, but MELCHIZEDEK WASN'T LEVITE and it was him who biblically collected tithes first.

So with these, know you that TITHING EXISTED BEFORE THE LAW, and even if it were so, WAS IT NOT SAID IN THE LAW THOU SHALL NOT KILL , BUT DO YOU as a christian KILL ?? IT WAS SAID IN THE LAW DO NOT COVET, do christians COVET ?.

Please let us who think we stand take heed lest we fall.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by chimmyjay: 2:44pm On Nov 08, 2017
AND ANOTHER IS

don't ascribe every tithe payer as JEW, DO YOU KNOW WHY ??

Abraham was not a JEW, and he first paid tithe, And he is the father of the jews but not a jew.

Tithe payers are those who THINK they love God and NOT LAWKEEPERS NOR JEWS.
Re: TITHE - What Really Is The Bible's View? by lovingJehovah: 8:33pm On Nov 08, 2017
Thanks for your comment, Sir.
I only quoted the scriptures and the scriptures cannot miss anything.
The law written in the Bible was given to Moses. But since you mentioned MELCHIZEDEK, it is worth the reference.
MELCHIZEDEK was the King of ancient Salem and “priest of the Most High God,” Jehovah.
In all implications, it must fall under the line of the priesthood.
Abraham paid his Tithe to a priest and the law of Moses contains instructions to pay the Tithe to the Priests and then the Bible says that Jesus is now our priest (Hebrews 4:14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold on to our public declaration of him).
The question is, do you accept Jesus as your priest? If the answer is yes, then pay him what you owe him, which is LOVE. He gave us a new commandment of Love called the law of Christ and the old one given to Moses became invalid when Jesus was nailed to the stake (staurus).

chimmyjay:

sir, I think you are missing something.

TITHING WAS BEFORE MOSES through whom the law came.
It was Abraham who first tithed, one of you said NO LEVITES TO COLLECT TITHES ANY LONGER, but MELCHIZEDEK WASN'T LEVITE and it was him who biblically collected tithes first.

So with these, know you that TITHING EXISTED BEFORE THE LAW, and even if it were so, WAS IT NOT SAID IN THE LAW THOU SHALL NOT KILL , BUT DO YOU as a christian KILL ?? IT WAS SAID IN THE LAW DO NOT COVET, do christians COVET ?.

Please let us who think we stand take heed lest we fall.

(1) (Reply)

Pastors Daughter / The Full Explanation Of The Number 666 Found In The Book Of Revelation / Tb Joshua’s New Morning Water Sets Uk On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.