Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Italy And Juventus Legend Andrea Pirlo Announces Retirement From Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Italy And Juventus Legend Andrea Pirlo Announces Retirement From Football (444 Views)

Osimhen One Of My Toughest Opponents — Juventus Legend Chiellini / Juventus Appoint Andrea Pirlo As New Manager / Andrea Pirlo Sues Look-Alike Who Got Free Items In His Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Italy And Juventus Legend Andrea Pirlo Announces Retirement From Football by theLegion(m): 4:33pm On Nov 07, 2017
Former Italy midfielder and Juventus legend Andrea Pirlo has announced his retirement from football after playing his last ever match for New York City.

The 38-year-old won 116 caps for Italy across a 13-year international career and helped them win the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Andrea Pirlo began his career at Brescia and also played for Inter, AC Milan and Juventus before joining the Major League Soccer side two years ago.

On Monday afternoon, the Italian legend thanked fans, coaches and team-mates in a classy statement on Twitter.

Source - https://www.veeinsider.com/blog/italy-juventus-legend-andrea-pirlo-announces-retirement-football/

Back in October, Pirlo revealed plans to retire at the end of the MLS season.

"You realise that the time has come. Every day you have physical problems, you cannot train as you want because you always have some problem," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"At my age, that’s enough. It’s not that you can go on forever until the age of 50. I’ll do something else.

"At 38, it’s just right to give young players room. I’m not angry. Instead, I will give a hand to team-mates and to the coach."

Former Arsenal and France midfielder Vieira, who has been Pirlo's manager at New York City for the last two years, said: "He's one of the best holding midfielders ever - he changed the position of the number six.

Source - https://www.veeinsider.com/blog/italy-juventus-legend-andrea-pirlo-announces-retirement-football/

"Before, the role was just tackling and winning the ball, but now you have to be a playmaker, you have to be as good as your number 10 with the ball.

"He had a fantastic career, not just on the field but off it because he's a true gentleman. He's a really good guy."

Andrea Pirlo's career in numbers

872 games
6 Serie A titles
2 Coppa Italia wins
2 Champions League triumphs
1 World Cup success

(1) (Reply)

Neymar's Bad Attitude Divides PSG / Vincent Enyeama 'tired Of Playing For Nigeria' Says Peterside Idah / Top 10 Wealthy Homes Of Footballers You Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.