Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,956 members, 7,828,364 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? (15095 Views)

African Leaders Criticize Icc For Bias Against Continent; Plans To Withdraw / What Is Wrong With Some Nairalanders ? / Which Of The Following Nairalanders Have The Sharpest Minds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:51pm On Mar 22, 2010
Are very simple ni, because they feel that after washing dead bodies and getting paid peanuts they are all better than the people here in naija. They all carry this complex that only them can see the problems of Nigeria the rest of us here are dumb and should pick up guns and fight so that they can come back and retire after we have laboured for them.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

The answer is two-fold:

1. Some nigerians living in nigeria are simply jealous and would wish to be in the shoes of those outside the country.

2. Some nigerians abroad are GENUINELY IGNORANT about Nigeria but assume a misplaced sense of superior knowledge just because the "location" section on their profiles reads some place abroad. Sometimes i read comments from them and i shake my head in disbelief that some people can boldly display such brazen lack of intelligence.
True but I think its more of 2 than 1 david.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

I have French men, Americans, Europeans working here in my office. . .  Do you honestly think they would leave their wonderful countries for a place like this if the opportunity wasn't right?

what they get in hazard allowance is probably triple what they would ever get in their own countries. Besides they wont have to pay so many of the taxes and bills that sap your salary here. If i got $50,000 a month in naija i wont even get near an airport for anything.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 4:53pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

You know I read about pscychotic serial killers, split personalities, and all those janded madnesses. I look around me and I see none of these. Every country has it's own 'malaria'  . . .  

I'm not bragging about riches, you are the one doing that. Besides you wanted a list!

I don't work in an oil company but I don't work for a Nigerian organization either. 90% of the people in my office are Nigerians and even the foreigners can in no way measure up to some of them.

Plat I hate arguing and I'm sure you know that, all this grammar I've been speaking is just to clarify the wrong impression you have that for some reason, you are better than us because you live abroad. That bull[i]nsi[/i]!

Is it bragging, or the truth? If I complained about how Poo sticks to my fingers after scrubbing toilets., you would say ahen now?

If all the people you see abroad are menial , then check yourself!

When Did I say I was better? My quality of life is better yes, and no Im not going to allow belittement because of jealousy!

Your examples were subpar, so you saying those unemployed graduates are dumb or not strong?
Surely you dont mean this?

And your belief that I wouldnt be where I was unless I lived in the US. Why not see through your rose tinted glasses and look at the real picture? Why doesnt Nigeria offer the same opportunties?

Are you calling me unintelligent?
Did I not school and earn my degrees?

My father came to us without a dime in his pocket, can you do that in Nigeria?
You are talking out the side of your mouth,
If it makes you feel better I magically got to where I am today.  cool
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 4:54pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

You know I read about pscychotic serial killers, split personalities, and all those janded madnesses. I look around me and[b] I see none of these[/b]. Every country has it's own 'malaria'  . . .  

Wow - so Clifford Orji was not psychotic. Is it not because of information that you know that some people are psychotic? Do you even have enough information on the sheer number of people killed by the police who are the ones supposed to be protecting people?  

Serial killers? The ones macheting people in Jos - what makes you think that is the first time they will kill people?

Sorry, not every country has its own malaria - no 'developed' or 'fast developing' country loses the sheer number of people to PREVENTABLE diseases as it happens in Nigeria.

That is the reality of the matter and a sad one for every Nigerian, whether abroad or at home.

I'm not bragging about riches, you are the one doing that. Besides you wanted a list!

I don't work in an oil company but I don't work for a Nigerian organization either. 90% of the people in my office are Nigerians and even the foreigners can in no way measure up to some of them.

That may be true, but is that the prevailing experience? That is my own interpretation - why should individual experiences vary so wildly? In the same country one person who has cold will fly to Germany for treatment, while somoene down the road may die of the same ailment.  undecided

I know we are Nigerians and will find ways to be proud of our country, but there are some things we should NOT be proud of.

That people don't make it because they are not 'strong' (e.g. kids dying from malaria or other preventable diseases) should NEVER be something to boast about.

This isn't about one person being 'better' than the other - it is more about why there is a quick rush to label people - 'oh you must wash toilets', 'you must be into 419'. 'you are dying to get visa' and so on.

The unintelligent name calling must stop.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by cvibe: 4:54pm On Mar 22, 2010
Inside or outside, make your mark!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 4:55pm On Mar 22, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

Are very simple ni, because they feel that after washing dead bodies and getting paid peanuts they are all better than the people here in naija. They all carry this complex that only them can see the problems of Nigeria the rest of us here are dumb and should pick up guns and fight so that they can come back and retire after we have laboured for them.

Your general way of classification dosen't exclude your from the ignorance list either.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:56pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

what they get in hazard allowance is probably triple what they would ever get in their own countries. Besides they wont have to pay so many of the taxes and bills that sap your salary here. If i got $50,000 a month in naija i wont even get near an airport for anything.
See what I mean when I say more of 2 than 1, some of them think that sending miserly change back to Nigeria is just enough to turn the country around.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by morpheus24: 4:56pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

I second that analysis, living inthe us sapped my paychecks which is one of the main reasons I relocated outside of it. Dem taxes will kill ya,
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by alamsdee: 4:56pm On Mar 22, 2010
95% of the response so far shows the state Nigeria is now and will be in the next 50yrs, pls lets change our fate as a nation, many nigerians are ready to give up anything to obtain American or British citizenship, i ask you a question how many somalians will give up a N1000 to become a Nigerian, Once a somalian told me despite how oil wealth as a country, Nigerians struggle with them to sort mails and deliver mails at Royal Mail, i will never forgrt that statement in my life, it shows we are yet to get our bearing as a nation, pls do continue abusing urselfs, and tell me how that will make us grow as a nation, i weep for my country, everyone pls lets grow up
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:57pm On Mar 22, 2010
Freiburger:

Your general way of classification dosen't exclude your from the ignorance list either.
dude its more than common knowledge how far people will stoop to work outside Nigeria, doing things they would never think of doing.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:00pm On Mar 22, 2010
alamsdee:

95% of the response so far shows the state Nigeria is now and will be in the next 50yrs, pls lets change our fate as a nation, many nigerians are ready to give up anything to obtain American or British citizenship, i ask you a question how many somalians will give up a N1000 to become a Nigerian, Once a somalian told me despite how oil wealth as a country, Nigerians struggle with them to sort mails and deliver mails at Royal Mail, i will never forgrt that statement in my life, it shows we are yet to get our bearing as a nation, pls do continue abusing urselfs, and tell me how that will make us grow as a nation, i weep for my country, everyone pls lets grow up
Na that one dey pain you, how many Nigerian graduates are willing to clean the streets, serve in mr. biggs, wear old people pampers in naija?
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Abygul(f): 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2010
do u think they are really jealous or u just dont have somtin beha to say common.nigeria is now a grown up country even doe dere are still some liky liky but for get it.they aiiint jealous abt u k tongue
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 5:02pm On Mar 22, 2010
frosbel:

So you are from my beloved Owerri, what a coincidence and surprise.

I agree with you 100%, as soon as I land in Lagos, 3 days is too much, I am off to Owerri.

Was there last easter, its clean, quiet and lovely, oh except for the 419 and yahoo boys, lol. grin

ndweooo cheesy ! Its so cool there, Cant wait till this summer  cheesy

I cannot trade the peacefulness in my village for the world cheesy

Chrisbenogor:

LOL!  Upgrade your friends homie cool
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 5:03pm On Mar 22, 2010
Abygul:

do u think they are really jealous or u just dont have somtin beha to say common.nigeria is now a grown up country even doe dere are still some liky liky but for get it.they aiiint jealous abt u k tongue

was this in english? or faulty MTN connection
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Mar 22, 2010
Abygul:

Critical example of why living abroad doesnt necessarily make you better than the dude in Ilorin.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 5:07pm On Mar 22, 2010
platinumnk:

was this in english? or faulty MTN connection

Can't be MTN. . . .they don't use MTN in the UK. grin grin grin

Chei!! This girl has exposed the 'abroadians' for what they are. Thank God my buttocks are firmly planted in O'sha. cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:08pm On Mar 22, 2010
platinumnk:

ndweooo cheesy ! Its so cool there, Cant wait till this summer  cheesy

I cannot trade the peacefulness in my village for the world cheesy

LOL!  Upgrade your friends homie cool
Tufiakwa not only my friends,
Come to think of it oh, posting this from the balcony of my presidential suite of this five start Ginja your Swagger Hotel here in ajegunle, all my friends are working hard just under me, and yes they include those that just sell at the roadside  grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:09pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

Critical example of why living abroad doesnt necessarily make you better than the dude in Ilorin.
grin grin grin Or even better than my boy terry G grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 5:10pm On Mar 22, 2010
Abygul:

How can u tell me that a 50yrs old man who failed to get it right b4 he was 40 and later missed his way b4 50 is now a grow up man? i mean, comme on.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by LFJ: 5:11pm On Mar 22, 2010
"All major hospitals abroad parade some of the best and brightest Nigerian doctors, surgeons, nurses and other medical and paramedical personnel. We have lost our most active brains to foreign universities. The few ones remaining at home are those most probably suffering from the incurable virus of patriotism, in a nation where it is no longer fashionable to send kids to Great ABU, Great IFE or Great UNN. Most of the universities are in their various stages of dilapidation. Only about 4,000 out of 0ver 200,000 candidates passed NECO exams according to a news item. It is no longer at ease here."
"There must be over 12 generations of unemployed graduates in Nigeria roaming the streets in total dejection and submission today. And those very lucky to be employed are currently losing their jobs in droves. The banks in particular are axing jobs and salaries with a vengeance in this era Lamido Sanusi’s wizardry. Those who have mortgages can no longer pay. School fees are suffering. Electricity continues to play pranks. Diesel has become the most essential commodity in this season of sorrow.

Dele Momodu
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Mar 22, 2010
Freiburger:

They are there for fat salaries and dont me their companies dont take care of their trip expences during their regular home visits. who wouldn't like working in Nigeria on a robust salary?

Oh, I thought we were all paupers down here!  undecided

davidylan:

Now you are talking!  cheesy

You are proving my point David, the only reason you are there is because you couldn't do well here. The opportunities here are certainly not as much as they are over there, but there is no doubt that they exist and only the best get them! It's not like you guys are not good enough  wink but there's a reason why you had to leave!  cheesy I mean I would leave too if I had no choice!  cheesy

debosky:

Wow - so Clifford Orji was not psychotic. Is it not because of information that you know that some people are psychotic? Do you even have enough information on the sheer number of people killed by the police who are the ones supposed to be protecting people?  

Serial killers? The ones macheting people in Jos - what makes you think that is the first time they will kill people?

Sorry, not every country has its own malaria - no 'developed' or 'fast developing' country loses the sheer number of people to PREVENTABLE diseases as it happens in Nigeria.

That is the reality of the matter and a sad one for every Nigerian, whether abroad or at home.

That may be true, but is that the prevailing experience? That is my own interpretation - why should individual experiences vary so wildly? In the same country one person who has cold will fly to Germany for treatment, while somoene down the road may die of the same ailment.  undecided

I know we are Nigerians and will find ways to be proud of our country, but there are some things we should NOT be proud of.

That people don't make it because they are not 'strong' (e.g. kids dying from malaria or other preventable diseases) should NEVER be something to boast about.

This isn't about one person being 'better' than the other - it is more about why there is a quick rush to label people - 'oh you must wash toilets', 'you must be into 419'. 'you are dying to get visa' and so on.

The unintelligent name calling must stop.

Okay, now you are comparing ethnic clashes and ritual killings to psychotic madness   No doubt the instability here is driving a lot of people to do crazy things but what's their excuse in that perfect world you guys are trying to paint    undecided

I'm talking about standards and conditions of living. It breaks my heart that good medicare can only be gotten abroad, but that's Nigeria. I'm not blind to the troubles we are facing here, but you guys act like it's paradise over there!

I'm not calling anybody names, I don't care what people do for a living. I however object to the fact that you think you are better than we are, just because you live in a developed country and we dont! I'd say the dame thing to a non-Nigerain!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 5:12pm On Mar 22, 2010
debosky:

Can't be MTN. . . .they don't use MTN in the UK. grin grin grin

Chei!! This girl has exposed the 'abroadians' for what they are. Thank God my buttocks are firmly planted in O'sha. cheesy

Abi oo!  grin grin EFCC come carry me to sanko ooo

Chrisbenogor:

Tufiakwa not only my friends,
Come to think of it oh, posting this from the balcony of my presidential suite of this five start Ginja your Swagger Hotel here in ajegunle, all my friends are working hard just under me, and yes they include those that just sell at the roadside  grin grin grin

Is that where they are putting Internet cafes now?
Wow 9ja don reach grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:14pm On Mar 22, 2010
platinumnk:

Abi oo!  grin grin EFCC come carry me to sanko ooo

Is that where they are putting Internet cafes now?
Wow 9ja don reach grin
Yes oh not on top of palm trees like we see in Owerri grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

You are proving my point David, the only reason you are there is because you couldn't do well here. The opportunities here are certainly not as much as they are over there, but there is no doubt that they exist and only the best get them! It's not like you guys are not good enough  wink but there's a reason why you had to leave!  cheesy I mean I would leave too if I had no choice!  cheesy

I respectfully take exception to that "insult". I had no intentions of working in Nigeria and never did . . . how do you automatically assume "i couldnt do well here"? I came here to take advantage of opportunities that do not exist in Nigeria. There are a few of us who would like to do something else besides work in a bank or oil company just for the money. The vast majority of Nigerians like you unfortunately have NO job security, inflation, poor exchange rate and low living index ensures much of your take home pay is a mirage . . . it isnt really worth more than the paper notes they are written on.

Funny enough, most of the executive positions in Nigeria seem to be reserved for Nigerians who return from abroad . . . just wait until i come and take over as your boss.  grin u'll pay for that statement you made.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Okay, now you are comparing ethnic clashes and ritual killings to psychotic madness   No doubt the instability here is driving a lot of people to do crazy things but what's their excuse in that perfect world you guys are trying to paint    undecided

I'm talking about standards and conditions of living. It breaks my heart that good medicare can only be gotten abroad, but that's Nigeria. I'm not blind to the troubles we are facing here, but you guys act like it's paradise over there!

I'm not calling anybody names, I don't care what people do for a living. I however object to the fact that you think you are better than we are, just because you live in a developed country and we dont! I'd say the dame thing to a non-Nigerain!

I am fiercely resisting commiting an ad hominem!

You dont know anything at all, so we HAD to come here?

We couldnt get opportunites to  at home?
What kinda rubbish are you talking about?

Where is all the graduates that you are not speaking about?
they magically dissapeared?

You logic is immensely flawed!

You tell yourself that to feel better!
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 5:19pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

I respectfully take exception to that "insult". I had no intentions of working in Nigeria and never did . . . how do you automatically assume "i couldnt do well here"? I came here to take advantage of opportunities that do not exist in Nigeria. There are a few of us who would like to do something else besides work in a bank or oil company just for the money. The vast majority of Nigerians like you unfortunately have NO job security, inflation, poor exchange rate and low living index ensures much of your take home pay is a mirage . . . it isnt really worth more than the paper notes they are written on.

Funny enough, most of the executive positions in Nigeria seem to be reserved for Nigerians who return from abroad . . . just wait until i come and take over as your boss.  grin u'll pay for that statement you made.

Abi oo!
grin

Chrisbenogor:

Yes oh not on top of palm trees like we see in Owerri grin grin grin
well we have wifi there so its all good grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by platinumnk(f): 5:20pm On Mar 22, 2010
where is ayettemama? grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by comechop(m): 5:22pm On Mar 22, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

dude its more than common knowledge how far people will stoop to work outside Nigeria, doing things they would never think of doing.

Wow. Tell me - what is wrong in doing menial jobs - to make ends meet?? Are we soo proud as Nigerians?? Its all about personal choice - many people would choose to do a menial job, and have security and peace of mind, than to go the 419/yahoo boys route to get quick cash.
I get so pissed when nigerians at home make fun of others that are doing menial hard work - hustling to have a better life. You are an idiot if you think it is something to be ashamed of.

And yes, every country has its own malaria - pedophilia, serial killers, clifford orji, jos wahala and co. The difference is simple.

The law (for the most part) works here. In naija - everyman for himself.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Badriyyah(f): 5:23pm On Mar 22, 2010
davidylan:

Funny enough, most of the executive positions in Nigeria seem to be reserved for Nigerians who return from abroad . . . just wait until i come and take over as your boss.  grin u'll pay for that statement you made.

Tell them o!!! You guys better beg us to stay where we are, you won't like it when we start coming back. grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by debosky(m): 5:25pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

You don't get it - the foreigners are ripping Nigeria off BECAUSE things are so bad. They get MASSIVE hardship allowances because the country is in a mess and they have to be compensated for living in such a place.

How can that make anyone happy that you need to be paid ridiculous amounts of money to consider living in your own country??

Why do you need 50,000 to do well?

It is a highly presumptive argument to say people left because they had no choice - people make choices everyday. Choices to move abroad or to stay, based on their own evaluations and considerations.

You might consider making millions your priority (most Nigerians do). Some others might prioritize having peace of mind and meeting their basic needs while able to live in an orderly society. To each his own.

The desperate attempt to prove 'equality' by saying 'people are making it in Nigeria' is way off point.

We keep thinking 'people are making it' but never think how do we improve the lot of the overwhelming majority NOT making it.

But no, according to you, the ones that could make it never left. . . .that is as intelligent as saying that everyone in Nigeria is a pauper.
Re: Why Do Some Nairalanders Have A Serious Bias Against Those Of Us Overseas ? by Freiburger(m): 5:26pm On Mar 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

But not even 1% of the Naija population gets 1% of what these experts are getting. don't only consider the lilttle good fraction of it. what do you call a developing country as you said? Few ppl extremenly rich while the other over 90% lives on less than 1$ a day? and u said they 're all developing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Some Weird Laws Around The World.... / 5 Simple Goals You Can Still Achieve This Year / Fingering And Masterbation: Cons And Pros

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.