Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

What Is The Rational Behind The New Tejuosho Market - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Rational Behind The New Tejuosho Market (1012 Views)

Fashola Commissions New Main Tejuosho Shopping Complex / Soyinka, Tejuosho,and Ogunde's Sons Make Ogun Commissioners' List / Fashola Accused Of Tejuosho Market Scam-a Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Rational Behind The New Tejuosho Market by wirinet(m): 1:11pm On Mar 20, 2010
Before Fashola's fanatics begin to unleash their venom, you need to excuse my ignorance and strive to educate on the fundamentals of the project.

Before i continue, i must state that i am not particularly anti- Fashola, but i quarrel with his elitist and sometime uncoordinated knee jerk reactions to governance.

The tejuosho markets which was a thriving  market for low and medium class lagosians (sometimes patronized by the elite class), built in the early 70s, got burned in December 2007.  In the aftermath of the tragic accident in which trader lost millions of Naira, fashola visited the Market and promised to rebuild the market and  ensure that traders displaced at the burnt Tejuosho market will be allowed to get back their stalls.

We hear that the Lagos State Government concessioned  the project to a private firm and that the shops are open to the general public at a price of N6,000,000 per 10.8m2 space. So how are the people who had lost everything in the inferno going to afford these shops. The people Fashola promised to help. As i have always insisted, a government that needs the votes of the people to get into power is meant to satisfy the people, especially the masses.

The project itself now raises loads of questions, that need answers;

1. Was turning the turning the Tejuosho markets into a modern supermarket part of the original plan of BRF, or he just decided to take advantage of the fire to convert it to one.

2. What was the actual agreement with the private developer, lets have an idea of the consession agreement, after all the land still belongs to the Lagos state government and by extension Lagosians.

3. Why is the price so high. The price of other private shopping complexes are much lower. Sura shopping complex handled by the same LSDPC goes for around N3.500,000, also the privately developed Ikota shopping complex goes for about N3,000,000 for a 24m2 ( more than twice the area of the Tejuosho shops).   

4. Is the Tejuosho Project a Market or a shopping complex? Although it is named Tejuosho Market, the project resembles a Shopping Complex to me. Would there the sellers of tomatoes, onions, fish, fresh meat, ugwu, palm oil, rice, beans, etc in this market as what was obtained before?

5.How is the government taking care of people who were affected by the fire, are they left to their own devices? Or as some Fashola's supporters always say " If they can't cope, they should migrate to other states".

Sorry once again for my apparent ignorance, i only need some answers. After all this is a democracy, we are allowed to questions even a saint, no matter how silly the question may sound.
Re: What Is The Rational Behind The New Tejuosho Market by lannre(m): 1:49pm On Mar 20, 2010
I bet it you will never get a genuine answer to the above, instead it will be insults. I often ask what is the essence of Governance ? In a Rhetorical manner, is it to protect citizens ? or destroy their means of livelihood through Mega projects ? What is the Government offering the masses, I saw a KAI official arresting a young boy hawking around Pen Cinema today between the hour of 11am. I just ask withing my self did Fashola send them this ? If yes what option do they have for the boy and others that are in his shoe. If no who is monitoring this KAI officials who are unleashing hardship on innocent citizen .

4. Is the Tejuosho Project a Market or a shopping complex? Although it is named Tejuosho Market, the project resembles a Shopping Complex to me. Would there the sellers of tomatoes, onions, fish, fresh meat, ugwu, palm oil, rice, beans, etc in this market as what was obtained before?

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Removed From Terror Watch List / President Yaradua Is Dead / Army General Becomes ICAN Head

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.