Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch (1011 Views)

Graphic Pics: Dismembered Body Of 13 Yr Old Female Suicide Bomber / PHOTOS: Dismembered Body Of Suicide Bomber That Attacked Maiduguri Yesterday / Gov Amaechi’s Uncle Murdered, Dismembered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by ichommy(m): 6:35pm On Mar 20, 2010
A traditional ruler in Ekiti State, the Apeju of Ilupeju, Oba Olaleye Oniyelu, has advised the political class to steer clear of actions that could result in balkanisation of Nigeria, saying the respect that the country gets from the international community stems from the size of the country and its vast population.

The monarch, while speaking with Saturday Tribune over preparations for his 30th year coronation anniversary coming up between Friday 26 and Sunday March 28, said it was the unification of the two component towns of Eseta and Egosi to form the present day Ilupeju-Ekiti that had given the town the peace and development it had experienced.

Condemning the recent attack on the venue of the meeting of Niger Delta governors in Warri, Delta State, Oba Oniyelu said strife and struggles would not help the country to grow, adding that if the country was dismembered on account of the various socio-political imbroglios facing it, it would lose all the respect it got from the comity of nations.

“The greatest thing that has happened to Ilupeju-Ekiti is that the two towns that make it up were amalgamated. The town is one of the largest, if not the largest in the entire Oye Local Government Area. And that is part of our strength.

“The same thing is applicable to Nigeria. The country has to remain one. It is based on our strength and population that we get all those respects being accorded us to the United Nations (UN) and other world assemblies. Once we are balkanised, the strength and unique population will no longer be there and up will the respect go in flames,” he said.

Speaking on the three decades he has spent on the throne, the traditional ruler posited that it had been ups and downs for Ilupeju-Ekiti kingdom, adding, however, that it was the good cause to glorify God. He said since he became a monarch, growth and development had been the lot of the town.

Oba Oniyelu explained that the coronation anniversary would feature prayers for the town by different religious groups, sanitation, cultural display, honouring of deserving prominent indigenes of the state, among other activities that will be closed with a thanksgiving service at the Catholic Church on Sunday, March 28.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/index.php/news/639--nigeria-must-not-be-dismembered-monarch.html
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by EzeUche(m): 6:39pm On Mar 20, 2010
I could care less what this monarch has to say. He is not an Igwe from the East, nor is he my Igwe. Concern himself with his own people's problems instead of forcing his views on others.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by Shoot2Kill: 7:10pm On Mar 20, 2010
EzeUche:

I could care less what this monarch has to say. He is not an Igwe from the East, nor is he my Igwe. Concern himself with his own people's problems instead of forcing his views on others.

^^^ So if he was an igwe from the east you would agree with him  undecided

At times i wonder how the brain of Nigerians work

We are fuck_d as a nation if this is how some of our citizens think.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by sjeezy8: 7:13pm On Mar 20, 2010
^ the same igwe that purchase kingship lol
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by EzeUche(m): 7:25pm On Mar 20, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

^^^ So if he was an igwe from the east you would agree with him  undecided

At times i wonder how the brain of Nigerians work

We are fuck_d as a nation if this is how some of our citizens think.

This nation is already screwed up. It is typical of his people to concern himself with other groups within this nation. Nigeria might be fine for his people, but it is not for some.

And if he was an Igwe from the East, I would listen to what he has to say, but that does not mean I would support it.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by invisible2(m): 7:36pm On Mar 20, 2010
This nation is finished, it doesn't matter what the traditional ruler has to say, afterall he is paid from this same pot of corruption that is Nigeria. This is a failed state, has never functioned for 50 years and from all indications, we are sinking lower still. We need to divide, shikena!
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by EzeUche(m): 7:37pm On Mar 20, 2010
invisible!:

This nation is finished, it doesn't matter what the traditional ruler has to say, afterall he is paid from this same pot of corruption that is Nigeria. This is a failed state, has never functioned for 50 years and from all indications, we are sinking lower still. We need to divide, shikena!

Agreed.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by SEFAGO(m): 7:40pm On Mar 20, 2010
sjeezy8:

^ the same igwe that purchase kingship lol

Thats the funny aspect- the igwe is a purchased and exploitative monarchy.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by asha80(m): 7:41pm On Mar 20, 2010
invisible!:

Bros why the change of mind
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by invisible2(m): 7:49pm On Mar 20, 2010
@asha80, the jos killings, the sanusi witch hunt, the abdulmutallab, the senseless mallams of boko haram, the lack of skill from most nothern politicians and the fact that this nation seems too big for one man to govern. I don't agree we shall ever agree with these people.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by asha80(m): 7:52pm On Mar 20, 2010
invisible!:

@asha80, the jos killings, the sanusi witch hunt, the abdulmutallab, the senseless mallams of boko haram, the lack of skill from most nothern politicians and the fact that this nation seems too big for one man to govern. I don't agree we shall ever agree with these people.

Well i understand now wink however i have seen this thing for a long time now hence that argurement we had that time.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by honeric01(m): 7:57pm On Mar 20, 2010
No country have our interest at heart, we have to fight for ourselves, nothing more, nothing less.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by invisible2(m): 8:06pm On Mar 20, 2010
What I see now frightens me. Nothing works and we all sit down and smile, blaming the whole thing on luck and destiny, wake up people and challenge these people, this cabal are nearer to you than you think. The town unions, the councilors, the traditional rulers and the LG chairmen. These ppl eat money and do nothing while the rest of your stare like malu! Managing the one bottle of star they buy for you periodically, some tell me that God will help us, God only helps those that helps themselves. I live in Nigeria and this place is just , hellllllll!
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by honeric01(m): 8:24pm On Mar 20, 2010
invisible!:

I live in Nigeria and this place is just , hellllllll!

Bro please, give us tips on what you have done about these illness killing Nigeria? undecided
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by OBLONG(m): 9:23pm On Mar 20, 2010
@ ichommy, how u dey ?! Hope ur evil step mother now allows you to go to school and take exams.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by invisible2(m): 9:34pm On Mar 20, 2010
@ honeric, I have done a lot to make things better.

I have paid my taxes for 18 years.
I have cast my votes for those I think will better the nation, only to see them lose to those same criminals that have kept us in bondage.
I have set up businesses and employed people from all regions, housa, yoruba, Igbo, kogi/benue and edo.
I have adviced my councilor and he laughed in my face, telling me things can't be done that way.
I have provided my own power, water, roads, security and other amenities while paying govt bills for such.
I have written articles in my blog online and written to editors in dailies on how best to achieve results.

Now, what have you done to better our country, your turn now.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by asha80(m): 9:37pm On Mar 20, 2010
invisible!:

I have cast my votes for those I think will better the nation, only to see them lose to those same criminals that have kept us in bondage.
I have set up businesses and employed people from all regions, housa, yoruba, Igbo, kogi/benue and edo.
I have adviced my councilor and he laughed in my face, telling me things can't be done that way.
I have provided my own power, water, roads, security and other amenities while paying govt bills for such.
I have written articles in my blog online and written to editors in dailies on how best to achieve results.

honeric1 ngwa grin
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by Ibime(m): 9:49pm On Mar 20, 2010
Typical Yoruba man.  lipsrsealed grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by honeric01(m): 9:56pm On Mar 20, 2010
invisible!:

Ok, here goes mine
I have indirectly paid my taxes for more than 9 years now (my business can't be taxed directly)
I couldn't cast my vote, though i registered but was never given a voter's card
I have been able to help people around me in my own little way (financially and socially)
I have advised fellow residence around where i live on how not to block drainage, damage government roads, tap phcn light illegally
I have also provided my own power, water, roads, security and other amenities while paying govt bills for such
I have corrected/advised people/friends/strangers on how not to fold their arms watching wrong things being done in their presence that would in any way damage the country the more.
I have also trained (still training) people on how to be self reliance.

These are the few things i have been able to do and hope to do more in the future embarassed

@asha80
 I nor try?

Oya, what have you also done? undecided (Remember to state the truth lipsrsealed)
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by invisible2(m): 10:05pm On Mar 20, 2010
@honeric01, you tried sha, but in my opinion, we are trying for nothing. Those we are paying to don't know us, those we vote for don't work for us, 50 years of merry-go-round and counting. Why not let's try another approach, persuade them to divide this nation since the centre is not holding anymore. I support a peaceful division.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by asha80(m): 10:14pm On Mar 20, 2010
honeric01:

Ok, here goes mine
I have indirectly paid my taxes for more than 9 years now (my business can't be taxed directly)
I couldn't cast my vote, though i registered but was never given a voter's card
I have been able to help people around me in my own little way (financially and socially)
I have advised fellow residence around where i live on how not to block drainage, damage government roads, tap phcn light illegally
I have also provided my own power, water, roads, security and other amenities while paying govt bills for such
I have corrected/advised people/friends/strangers on how not to fold their arms watching wrong things being done in their presence that would in any way damage the country the more.
I have also trained (still training) people on how to be self reliance.

These are the few things i have been able to do and hope to do more in the future embarassed

@asha80
I nor try?

Oya, what have you also done? undecided (Remember to state the truth lipsrsealed)

Bros i no dey naija shocked but i dey send money back home to help my peeps wink You try sha however the issue is that the system is ffd up.Also at times our mentality na wahala lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by honeric01(m): 10:35pm On Mar 20, 2010
invisible!:

@honeric01, you tried sha, but in my opinion, we are trying for nothing. Those we are paying to don't know us, those we vote for don't work for us, 50 years of merry-go-round and counting. Why not let's try another approach, persuade them to divide this nation since the centre is not holding anymore. I support a peaceful division.
Bro, we are in not in the position to divide Nigeria but we can always let them know we are not happy, we shouldn't quit talking about the bad decisions, but we should also appreciate the good ones too.

asha 80:

Bros i no dey naija shocked but i dey send money back home to help my peeps wink You try sha however the issue is that the system is ffd up.Also at times our mentality na wahala lipsrsealed

Don't give up, keep doing your part, encourage others to do theirs, make them know how to stand up against injustice, this is no longer the time to sit down and allow anything come to us, wherever you are, you can still make things happen in Nigeria by influencing your own people.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by Nobody: 1:31am On Mar 21, 2010
Is not as if I'm forcing unity on disunited  people but it seems some Nigerians are happy seeing as Nigeria is disintegrating slowly. It's a shame and a big one too. Most people here are extremely joyous that Nigeria is in a sad state. Maybe for refugee claims but in the long run it's not worth it. Are people's lives worth your refugee claims? Wow!!! Let the power be decentralized and let each people be managing their own economy. That way, whatever you can do when you are not in Nigeria you can do when you are in Nigeria. That's how all nations that are not really united do. Canadians are as disunited as Nigerians but they didn't break up however, whatever one province wants to do doesn't affect the other province. The french have Quebec all to themselves and can choose to do whatever they want with it while the English have their own provinces too and can do whatever they want with it without interference.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by EzeUche(m): 1:40am On Mar 21, 2010
9jaganja:

Is not as if I'm forcing unity on disunited  people but it seems some Nigerians are happy seeing as Nigeria is disintegrating slowly. It's a shame and a big one too. Most people here are extremely joyous that Nigeria is in a sad state. Maybe for refugee claims but in the long run it's not worth it. Are people's lives worth your refugee claims? Wow!!! Let the power be decentralized and let each people be managing their own economy. That way, whatever you can do when you are not in Nigeria you can do when you are in Nigeria. That's how all nations that are not really united do. Canadians are as disunited as Nigerians but they didn't break up however, whatever one province wants to do doesn't affect the other province. The french have Quebec all to themselves and can choose to do whatever they want with it while the English have their own provinces too and can do whatever they want with it without interference.

Well over 2 million of my people lives were given to keep this nation as one. Of course it is fitting to see this nation die slowly after so much bloodshed was shed for it. I must say, I dislike slow deaths. I rather see a nice, fast and painless death. But, it seems like the power that be will opt for the slow and painful death. Just remember the restless Biafran souls are getting their sweet revenge.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by Nobody: 1:49am On Mar 21, 2010
EzeUche:

Well over 2 million of my people lives were given to keep this nation as one. Of course it is fitting to see this nation die slowly after so much bloodshed was for it. I must say, I dislike slow deaths. I rather see a nice, fast and painless death. But, it seems like the power that be will opt for the slow and painful death. Just remember the restless Biafran souls are getting their sweet revenge.

Do you know how many lives it took to get the America that you are blabbing from? Did they break up or start seeking revenge? You don't understand the natural world my friend. Your biafra dreams are all you want now. Don't worry, you'll get it to regret it!! Why wasn't no one protesting for Northerners to get educated when they were getting dumbed down? Now we have angry, disenfranchised, brainwashed Hausa/Fulani youths with manipulative evil geniuses as leaders. You'll get Biafra don't worry. But remember you can always include a better world for everyone in your dreams. Not just Igbo people. Ego is the worst problem of humanity. The biggest problem we have is ego.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by EzeUche(m): 1:54am On Mar 21, 2010
9jaganja:

Do you know how many lives it took to get the America that you are blabbing from? Did they break up or start seeking revenge? You don't understand the natural world my friend. Your biafra dreams are all you want now. Don't worry, you'll get it to regret it!! Why wasn't no one protesting for Northerners to get educated when they were getting dumbed down? Now we have angry, disenfranchised, brainwashed Hausa/Fulani youths with manipulative evil geniuses as leaders. You'll get Biafra don't worry. But remember you can always include a better world for everyone in your dreams. Not just Igbo people. Ego is the worst problem of humanity. The biggest problem we have is ego.

It seems like you are the delusional one my friend. We have nothing in common. Americans at least have a common history. Do you understand United States history? It was built on slavery in which settlers from England brought with them their Protestant religion. America was not the melting pot until the 20th century when immigrants from the Old World (Europe) came to find greener pastures. And even once they arrived in the United States, they met hostility.

A Biafra for me, would be a world where all Eastern ethnic groups can live in harmony, and be the envy of all of Africa and the world. That is a dream of mine.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by sjeezy8: 1:57am On Mar 21, 2010
^^^^ yea and african american slaves came to america willingly . . . not really.
They were forced to be in america as everyone was forced to be in Nigeria.

added and at the time Zik was in power he chose to stay as one.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by mekuszyx: 2:06am On Mar 21, 2010
Ibime:

Typical Yoruba man. lipsrsealed grin grin grin

Na their way. They reason with their amala mouth. South Africa is by far smaller than Nigeria but they get far more international respect than Nigeria What has size got to do with this when the most basic of things elude even the more-than-average person in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by Nobody: 2:08am On Mar 21, 2010
EzeUche:

It seems like you are the delusional one my friend. We have nothing in common. Americans at least have a common history. Do you understand United States history? It was built on slavery in which settlers from England brought with them their Protestant religion. America was not the melting pot until the 20th century when immigrants from the Old World (Europe) came to find greener pastures. And even once they arrived in the United States, they met hostility.

A Biafra for me, would be a world where all Eastern ethnic groups can live in harmony, and be the envy of all of Africa and the world. That is a dream of mine.

You think Americans have anything in common? Why do you think they forced just two political system on the nation? Because if they let just anyhow party system different people will vote for different parties creating a chaotic scene in the House of rep etc,  Liberal, Conservatives? civil war? Oh yeah they are the same. Racism yeah right  Americans have a lot in common silly Igbo boy. What I was telling you is the US didn't kick start as a paradise either. They just learned to deal with their differences in a civil manner. KKK? Hell's Angels? Bloods? and the other I hate to call? Dude get a grip. America was built on bloodshed. Not like we should build Nigeria on bloodshed but this is our native land. This is our land and there is no where to run to. The Hausas will always be our neighbours  and hate it or love it, whatever happens there can spill over.

It's really sad nothing is working in Nigeria though the king is wrong but I think if Nigeria is to stay together, it shouldn't be on the basis of size. What da hell? Canada is only 33mill.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by Onlytruth(m): 2:10am On Mar 21, 2010
invisible!:

What I see now frightens me. Nothing works and we all sit down and smile, blaming the whole thing on luck and destiny, wake up people and challenge these people, this cabal are nearer to you than you think. The town unions, the councilors, the traditional rulers and the LG chairmen. These ppl eat money and do nothing while the rest of your stare like malu! Managing the one bottle of star they buy for you periodically, some tell me that God will help us, God only helps those that helps themselves. I live in Nigeria and this place is just , hellllllll!

That phrase is my biggest motivator anytime I post here, because my whole family is still there and they complain of the same thing every time I call. I witness it first hand each time I visit too. When I started posting here, I argued that I would rather have just my town independent (if it comes to that! cool) than to live in that HELL in the name of "bigger is better". I argued that my town can install a big power generator even if it means levying every member of my community. At least we would have steady power supply. Everything else is possible after that. Nigeria CAN'T even do that!
What other qualification can you give such a place? Is there any place worse than hell?
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by EzeUche(m): 2:14am On Mar 21, 2010
9jaganja:

You think Americans have anything in common? Why do you think they forced just two political system on the nation? Because if they let just anyhow party system different people will vote for different parties creating a chaotic scene in the House of rep etc,  Liberal, Conservatives? civil war? Oh yeah they are the same. Racism yeah right  Americans have a lot in common silly Igbo boy. What I was telling you is the US didn't kick start as a paradise either. They just learned to deal with their differences in a civil manner. KKK? Hell's Angels? Bloods? and the other I hate to call? Dude get a grip. America was built on bloodshed. Not like we should build Nigeria on bloodshed but this is our native land. This is our land and there is no where to run to. The Hausas will always be our neighbours  and hate it or love it, whatever happens there can spill over.

American culture is the common denominator. Even among African Americans, they have an American culture. As they say, the United States is a melting pot. However, most groups lose their identity and become 'Americaness.' Look at the Europeans who came to America from Poland, Italy, Greece, France etc. They all speak English and they now consider themselves only as White Americans. And what are you talking about? America was built on slavery like I said. Whites oppressed the blacks. That is what they have in common. Simple as that. Don't lecture me about American history, because you would be foolish to do so with me.

Silly fool, it seems like you do not understand the United State and you are quite foolish to compare the United States with Nigeria. Only a fool would compare these nations who have nothing in common. A better comparison would have been India. And India was split up didn't you know? The Indian subcontinent was united, then people knew that this would pose a problem so they created Pakistan which was for Muslim Indians and then they created Bangladesh from Pakistan. That is why I state India would have been a better example.

Nigeria is not my native land. Alaigbo is my native land. Before Lord Lugard wench of a girlfriend decided to name this beast, Nigeria, my ancestors were happy to be governing themselves how they seen fit in Alaigbo.
Re: Nigeria Must Not Be Dismembered - Monarch by Nobody: 2:36am On Mar 21, 2010
EzeUche:

American culture is the common denominator. Even among African Americans, they have an American culture. As they say, the United States is a melting pot. However, most groups lose their identity and become 'Americaness.' Look at the Europeans who came to America from Poland, Italy, Greece, France etc. They all speak English and they now consider themselves only as White Americans. And what are you talking about? America was built on slavery like I said. Whites oppressed the blacks. That is what they have in common. Simple as that. Don't lecture me about American history, because you would be foolish to do so with me.

Silly fool, it seems like you do not understand the United State and you are quite foolish to compare the United States with Nigeria. Only a fool would compare these nations who have nothing in common. A better comparison would have been India. And India was split up didn't you know? The Indian subcontinent was united, then people knew that this would pose a problem so they created Pakistan which was for Muslim Indians and then they created Bangladesh from Pakistan. That is why I state India would have been a better example.

Nigeria is not my native land. Alaigbo is my native land. Before Lord Lugard wench of a girlfriend decided to name this beast, Nigeria, my ancestors were happy to be governing themselves how they seen fit in Alaigbo.

Dude you sure as hell speak like a fool on American history. How you left the Native Indians out of it is beyond. Americans are not one. They are just coping. There are secessionists among us here in US. I don't even want to argue about  American history with some immigrant. I'm thinking your level of comprehension is really high so I high an insect could step on it. If you don't understand what I've been trying to say, goodbye. How you picked an argument out of all I've said is beyond me dude.

(1) (Reply)

States Jonathan Is Hoping To Win. Make Una No Laugh,He would loss Yorubaland / N364bn Fraud: Court Defers Ruling On Akingbola’s Bail Till August 30. / 81% Of Nigerians Will Vote Next Year - 81% Support Gej's Candidature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.