Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,009 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (66399 Views)

Quit Notice To A Tenant / Help My Land Lady Give Me 3 Months Quit Notice While My Rent Is Till Running / Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by techtayo: 10:46pm On Nov 02, 2019
kelly72:
I am appalled at the depth of ignorance the Nigerian youth is sick of.
So this ignorance is real? So up till now you have not read smething
as simple as the tenancy laws of the State you live in. Anyways,
many of you are squatters who sleep on the floor, or you live under the
bridge, or taking refuge in a church or are even being housed and fed by parents
as a jobless 30 yr old No wonder politicians know their children
will take over and rule the olodos on Nairaland forever.

As for the poster, the purpose of notice to quit is to inform you that the landlord
wants you out in 3 or 6 months or as the case may be, so that you can spend that
time looking for an alternative. No law requires the landlord to become a philantropist
during that time. If you think the period should be for free, then answer these. If you receive a quit
notice;

1. Do you eat? Is the food for free?
2. Do you transport or buy fuel? Which comes free?
3. Do you make calls? You get vouchers free?
4. D you get free beer at the bar?

A year ago I gave one of my tenants the shocker of his life
My client built the 6 flats in 2012 and all tenants moved in same time.
This particular one became a problem within one year. He fought two
other tenants, the security guard, the landlord and even myself.

6 months before expiration of his rent I served him quit notice. He
boasted he would live there for 3 years and move away not paying.

Then I sued him at the Rent Tribunal. He and his lawyer came once and
thereafter stayed away. Happily but patiently, I argued my case and after
two years I got jugdment. The court ordered him to pay the N1.8 million rent
arrears including the six months notice period and quit within one month.
I refused to let him know about this until the one month had elapsed, then I
reported back to court that he neither paid nor quit and applied for an eviction order.
After listening, the magistrate granted my prayers.

The eviction order was to throw everybody found in that flat outside the gate
and bring all his property including his car to the court so that it could be auctioned
to pay his gbese. Then I liaised with the Sheriff and Police and after approval, a date was picked.

He had dressed up for work that day when we arrived at 6.am
Suddenly, the strong man was running helter skelter, kneeling before me, calling to beg
the landlord, asking people to intervene etc. We as he was doing this, the dutiful
sheriff were busy bringing down all his property and loading them in the truck

To cut it short, that was how a deputy manager was left stranded outside the gate as
the truck drove off and his Jeep followed. 3 weeks later, he went to the Sheriff section and
paid N1.8 million to to redeem his property and the call me to come take my money.

So be careful. Don't listen to the dumbos who tell you here "It is free naa"

If your landlord hire me peren, I will castrate you oo.

What is the position of the law, in a case where the erring tenant packs all his things and absconded from the house with rents owed, and you are able to locate his hideout.

How does the landlord recover his rent here,
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by techtayo: 10:53am On Nov 03, 2019
So how did this matter finally end?

Housing:

That doesn't apply to every employments agreement.

Back to the main issue you have to pay for all the period of stay as a tenant. For the fact that most landlord don't bother doesn't mean you must not pay. I have seen a situation that a tenant owes, after six months quit notice he packed most of his properties but decided to leave a chair just to keep the apartment. The Judge, Honourable Justice Candide Johnson then of Igbosere Lagos High Court ordered that the man should pay for all the period used within 24hours or all his properties including those in the new apartment be confiscated. And if that cannot pay for all his debt he should be reminded in prison. Till the next seven days adjourned date.
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by Adams12345: 3:55pm On Dec 20, 2019
Lilipawpaw:
Pay fire,for what naa

you have to pay, you use the apartment,
quit notice is an official information from landlord to tenant informing him of the need to use his apartment and that the tenant should vacate the apartment,
you still have to pay no free tenancy, except the landlord decide to give the 3 or 6 months free, if not you must pay.
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by Mesumei: 5:59pm On Jan 07, 2020
[b][/b]THANKS GUYS, THESE INFORMATION ARE USEFUL.
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by SoldierPikin: 9:40am On Jan 23, 2020
ogbo17:
The law says, if you are a debtor 7 days, but if your rent is paid up to date 6 months quit notice applies.

There you have it. That is what I was told.
If we have bad tenants we kukuma let their tent day come and watch them not pay. At that point our barrister sends them a notice to file for reclaimation of property. He may even seize thrir fridge as collateral or other property via the court until they are out and pay the mesne rent charges for everyday they left. They can even be forced to pay legal fees.
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by Jetland(m): 12:20pm On Apr 17, 2020
kelly72:
bridge, or taking refuge in a church or are even being housed and fed by parents

As for the poster, the purpose of notice to quit is to inform you that the landlord
wants you out in 3 or 6 months or as the case may be, so that you can spend that
time looking for an alternative. No law requires the landlord to become a philantropist
during that time. If you think the period should be for free, then answer these. If you receive a quit
notice;

reported back to court that he neither paid nor quit and applied for an eviction order.

and bring all his property including his car to the court so that it could be auctioned
to pay his gbese. Then I liaised with the Sheriff and Police and after approval, a date was picked.

Suddenly, the strong man was running helter skelter, kneeling before me, calling to beg
the landlord, asking people to intervene etc. We as he was doing this, the dutiful

To cut it short, that was how a deputy manager was left stranded outside the gate as
the truck drove off and his Jeep followed. 3 weeks later, he went to the Sheriff section and
paid N1.8 million to to redeem his property and the call me to come take my money.

Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by NasDayvidt: 12:07pm On Apr 21, 2020
lordyugo:

A notice can be issued even when the rent is still subsisting but it must be timed to rhyme on the eve of the rents expiration, which in this case should be on the eve of feb 02 2018, if there was no tenancy agreement bw both of them as to how long the notice will be then tenancy laws applies which is 6months for a yearly tenant.
Remember 6months notice only applies if there was no express agreement bw both parties in writing as to how long the notice will be.
So d landlords timing of d duration of the notice is wrong cos the notice should hv been from sept.
Notice to quit means the landlord wants or has the intention to initiate an action in the court to evict a tenant
Quit notice means the court hv already passed a judgment to evict a tenant.
Dont believe the position of a gen warrants enuf justification to evict a tenant unless mayb to prevent structural damage,
Health reasons cos of the fumes
Etc
Eventhough a landlord has the right to evict but it must be on reasonable grounds,
Did ur friend sign any tenancy agreement? If yes let him go through it again.
Cheers
[color=#000099][/color]

Someone should please advise. What of a tenancy agreement that stipulates a yearly agreement and provides that if the tenant at any time fail or neglect to perform any condition stated in the said agreement or if any of the subsequent rents be in arrears for 14 days then the landlord may at any time reenter the demised premises thereupon the agreement shall cease. And that the recovery of premises law of the state or any relevant tenancy law shall not apply to the tenancy contract. What does that imply?

Besides, in the agreement that a month's notice in writing to either party may determine the tenancy which shall in any case expire at the anniversary of the current term.
Can someone help how the tenant can perhaps plead with the landlord or perhaps give more insights to the rights of the tenant as well?
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by Richdam(m): 3:17pm On Apr 09, 2021
kelly72:

notice;

In a case where at expiry of rent, landlord told you not to pay rent and leave without notice,what fate awaits you?
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by kelly72: 12:03pm On Apr 11, 2021
Richdam:

In a case where at expiry of rent, landlord told you not to pay rent and leave without notice,what fate awaits you?

He ought to have informed you through written notice to quit 6 months before expiry of rent, if you are a yearly tenant. That is to afford you time to find another place and move without having to stay beyond the time you paid him for.

If he is just informing you at the expiry of your rent, then he will be lucky if you have money readily to move elsewhere. If not, he has to serve you the notice to quit as prescribed by law.

Take note though, that the period of the notice to quit is not free, except the landlord decides to wave rent during the time.
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by OtunbaStarboy(m): 10:10pm On Aug 18, 2021
eagleeye2:

You

Back to topic.
A landlord does not run a charity home. So any day spent in his premises is meant to be paid for and no court in Nigeria will ask a tenant not to pay. Mesne profit is the money you pay to your landlord for the duration of your quit notice or while you are in court trying to get more grace period or while looking for another place to stay.

Mesne Profit is only paid when you are forceful occupying a property or when no permission to occupy the property or when your rent expired and you have refuse to pay and refused to park out, without the Landlord, quit notice
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by Graciousconcept(f): 8:02pm On Sep 05, 2021
I hope and plead with you to kindly indulge me for a few minutes and help me with the right response.

I moved into a room safe contain last year March 2020 right before the pandemic and i paid a full year's rent including Agent and Agreement.

When my rent expired i made a payment of 6 months due to the current state of the Country as i could only afford to pay for 6months rent at the time, the landlord called to tell us that he doesn't collect 6months rent, that we should pay for a full year, we went ahead to explain to him that we can only afford that at the moment and since we weren't informed earlier nor was an agreement signed we didn't have any knowledge of that information, that we will pay the remaining 6months on or before the 6months we paid for elapse that he should please bear with us.

The 6months will elapse on August 31st and we were issued a quit notice and the lawyer referred us as a half yearly tenant and gave us 3months to leave the apartment, we currently can't afford to pay for a new apartment nor get enough funds to move within 3months, so my question is, is he right by referring to us as a half yearly tenant and also can we be able to get an extension of 6months to leave instead of 3months?
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by Iamdamian95(m): 10:00am On Jul 04, 2022
lordyugo:

A notice can be issued even when the rent is still subsisting but it must be timed to rhyme on the eve of the rents expiration, which in this case should be on the eve of feb 02 2018, if there was no tenancy agreement bw both of them as to how long the notice will be then tenancy laws applies which is 6months for a yearly tenant.
Remember 6months notice only applies if there was no express agreement bw both parties in writing as to how long the notice will be.
So d landlords timing of d duration of the notice is wrong cos the notice should hv been from sept.
Notice to quit means the landlord wants or has the intention to initiate an action in the court to evict a tenant
Quit notice means the court hv already passed a judgment to evict a tenant.
Dont believe the position of a gen warrants enuf justification to evict a tenant unless mayb to prevent structural damage,
Health reasons cos of the fumes
Etc
Eventhough a landlord has the right to evict but it must be on reasonable grounds,
Did ur friend sign any tenancy agreement? If yes let him go through it again.
Cheers

Good morning. If there was no tenancy agreement nko?
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by topea(m): 1:45am On Apr 28, 2023
The period of notice is as granted by law. The landlord is still entitled to his rent during that period. You must pay. However, if the landlord chose to allow you not to pay, he has simply waived his right. Bit you owe a responsibility to pay for every day you remain in possession of the apartment.
Re: Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? by Tgdm: 12:32pm On Nov 17, 2023
Anyone with a copy of abuja tenancy law?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oba Lateef Atanda Adams To Seize 300 Houses In Surulere, Lagos / A-4 Storey Building Collapsed At Itafaaji, Lagos Island, Children Feared Dead / Checkout The Tallest Building In Nigeria{pictures And Record Details}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.