Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? (11915 Views)

192 JAMB Score: What Are My Chances Of Getting Admission With This UTME Score? / Headmistress Of Success, Warri Schoolgirl Confirms Payment Of Her School Fees / Video Of Success, The Warri Schoolgirl Sent Away From School Over School Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by urahara(m): 11:08am On Nov 14, 2017
lazygal:

Tell your sister that I said shexshould not b silly ....in law we don't look at class of degree but how good you are and what you know
Class of. Degree can't present or argue cases in court for you...law is a professional course and she can decide to add other certification courses.
Mind you 80% of lawyers don't practice ...many of my colleagues thst came out with 2.1 of first class arevnot doing as well as others .let her tighten her belt and ask God to bless thst degree..she is very stupid for not going to law school so what the hell will she now be doing st hine ? This shows she is weak minded and she can't carry thst am not good enough mindset to outside world

Y the need 4 insults undecided
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Willie2015: 11:11am On Nov 14, 2017
Tell her to keep hustling with prayers!

I have seen wealthy people and intelligent folks becoming poor within some few years. I have seen poor folks doing well with hard work and prayer and I have equally seen folks that is hardworking with good abilities but yet nothing works for them.

Being successful in life is a function of time and chance, it is divine connection that matters!!

John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven. John 3.27
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by frankwyte: 11:11am On Nov 14, 2017
Just imagine what we have turned education into in this country! All I see is highest grades now been sold to highest bidder. This is the reason why a lot of us in this country are 'educated illiterate'. Private schools now brandish first class. While best brains who find themselves in state or Fedral school end up at best 2.1 if you don't part with settlement in terms of handout or sorting. But the good news is that once you know the stuff you are made just laugh it off and prove yourself. In my office I make a mockery of them and they know it am a 2.2 anyway but a true 2.1 with by practical. Here is my advice for all there's a day of reckoning, where you will be tested in that office. So study to show yourself approved.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 14, 2017
She should up her game at the law school
Antecote:
I know a lot of posts have been created concerning graduating with a 2.2 but I haven't come across any post with regards to having a 2.2 in law hence the reason for this post.

My younger sister just graduated from a state university with a 2.2, which makes her a 2.2 llb holder, she graduated with a cgpa of 3.4. This has made her really depressed and sad as she has even refused to resume at the Nigerian law school. I work in a bank that hires only First Class and 2.1 so I know what individuals in other fields with a 2.2 go through now

my question is this do 2.2 llb holders also go through this discrimination while searching for a job or their grades doesn't really matter so long they have been called to bar, what are the chances of success of a 2.2 llb holder
please I really need opinion and advise because I really don't know how to speak to her or what to tell her,

Please mynd44 this is very important
Cc: lalasticlal.a and other lawyers in here.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by ElCuajo(m): 11:15am On Nov 14, 2017
Law is very broad, tell your sister to look beyond being employed by organisations like banks or what have you's who only want 1st class and 2.2, the most important thing for any person in life not less so a lawyer is confidence... With confidence you can have a shit and still strut like you've got gold ore, tell her to look forward to choosing a specification in law where she knows she can be confident and excel, she can't take this mindset to law school not less so in life, I had a 2.2 in a state uni & a 2.2 in law school and from experience in legal practice its not about the grades it's about experience, effort, connections and the grace of God.
I have a friend who's into real estate, this guy was academically feeble but he managed to have a pass in law school, he stuck to legal drafting and real property practice, and by the grace of God with some connections, he can just spend under an hour drafting a deed or legal instrument, and make more than the banking law practicing lawyers or even litigation lawyers make in 6 months.
Having low grades in law school and uni won't even stop you if you can add more to your CV in professional courses and experience in aforesaid broad specifications of law, a friend of mine had a 3rd Class in Uni and still went for a LL.M program in International trade and investment law in Europe, with more experience and courses under his belt he'll be a hot cake in that field, rather than waiting for a bank who have their "standards" to employ legal graduates.
The long and short of my epistle is tell your sis to change her mindset, be confident, work on getting connects in life, choose a specific area of law she's sure she can be confident in, get extra professional certificates to go, have working experience and give it her lung busting efforts, thereafter seek the grace of God, cos it's work and pray not pray and work or ordinary prayer.
It is well OP, we shall all be successful but we have to be positive and avoid self pity, here's to seeing your sister excel in the legal field in years to come.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by emmasege: 11:31am On Nov 14, 2017
If the OP is the 2.2 degree holder, then I suggest you work harder on your English Language proficiency.

The title of your post should read, 'what chance does a 2.2. holder have?'
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Nnabugwu8590: 11:41am On Nov 14, 2017
Antecote:
I know a lot of posts have been created concerning graduating with a 2.2 but I haven't come across any post with regards to having a 2.2 in law hence the reason for this post.

My younger sister just graduated from a state university with a 2.2, which makes her a 2.2 llb holder, she graduated with a cgpa of 3.4. This has made her really depressed and sad as she has even refused to resume at the Nigerian law school. I work in a bank that hires only First Class and 2.1 so I know what individuals in other fields with a 2.2 go through now

my question is this do 2.2 llb holders also go through this discrimination while searching for a job or their grades doesn't really matter so long they have been called to bar, what are the chances of success of a 2.2 llb holder
please I really need opinion and advise because I really don't know how to speak to her or what to tell her,

My dear OP, a wonderful morning to you.
Please, kindly change the last word of your title to have.
Thanks for your understanding
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by ImaIma1(f): 11:44am On Nov 14, 2017
Op she stands a good chance. She jusr has to change her minset to be positive and be determined. Let her not be intimidated but should try to do better in law school.
I guess you work in Access bank...that us one bank that hires 2.1. There is hope for her. Many banks hire 2.2 including diamond bank.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Tolutheo(m): 11:49am On Nov 14, 2017
Well, her only limitation exists in her mind. I have a 2.2 also. I have never had to look for a job. I have changed job twice since I finished NYSC in 2014. I currently work for a multinational. She just needs to prove her worth.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by delikay4luv: 11:56am On Nov 14, 2017
Hahahahaha. These people will not kill me today
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by fergusen: 12:29pm On Nov 14, 2017
Following
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by lazygal: 12:37pm On Nov 14, 2017
urahara:

Y the need 4 insults undecided

Am sorry ..but she should not have sine that ..but sorry ..

1 Like

Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by jtjohn(m): 1:21pm On Nov 14, 2017
Kokolet11:
see question ooooooh.your sister spend all her time in club and froking his boyfriends and you are here asking nonsense question.
Why say what you don't know? it's better to be mute than spew trash.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by naijacartoon: 1:45pm On Nov 14, 2017
There is more to worry about than just 2.2, what will those with pass do? Commit succide Prove beyound reasonable doubt that your life worth more than a 2.2 paper certificate, just let it go and start a new chapter...ever since i watch 3idiots, i did have a second look about education
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Niyeal(m): 1:46pm On Nov 14, 2017
[quote author=Antecote post=62357756]I know a lot of posts have been created concerning graduating with a 2.2 but I haven't come across any post with regards to having a 2.2 in law hence the reason for this post.

Cc: lalasticlal.a and other lawyers in here. [/quote
You claimed your bank employed firstee and two one that mean you're firstee or two one but you used "has" instead of "have"
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Niyeal(m): 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2017
Antecote:

You claimed your bank employed firstee and two
one that mean you're firstee or two one but you
used "has" instead of "have"
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by vicksin(f): 1:53pm On Nov 14, 2017
ask her, "why not kill yourself?" i mean, since her career revolves 'round a paper. well, i'm kidding. 2.2 isn't bad, considering the slim margin of scaling to 2.1.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by vicksin(f): 1:59pm On Nov 14, 2017
Niyeal:
You claimed your bank employed firstee and two
one that mean you're firstee or two one but you
used "has" instead of "have"
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Hidentity(m): 2:00pm On Nov 14, 2017
Antecote:

A lot of other factors are considered apart from grades. Although, most firms are attracted to you by your good grades and then it creates an opportunity for you to show other qualities. Meeting the person and quizzing her on what she did in 5 years as a student vis-a-vis law related and other events can also help.

My take will be for her to first seek a very active firm and garner sufficient knowledge. She should work at being deft in a field of law. Then after two or three years, she should apply to bigger firms. By then, her experience and versatility in that field will come in place of the grade. But again, she still has the law school advantage. A first class or a second class upper will help to an extent.

One hint is: While in the law school, let her choose a good firm for her externship and be up and doing (grade is not considered at this stage) She should also be well behaved. Then, that will give her an edge to serve there as a corps member. Those two chances make it easier for her to make a point. If she could convince them as a corps member by zeal and brilliance, getting a job with the firm should be easier.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by vicksin(f): 2:11pm On Nov 14, 2017
at least, if you must criticize someone's grammar, make sure yours doesn't fall in much worse terrain of poor construction.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by elyoncee: 2:34pm On Nov 14, 2017
Antecote:

apply to work in a chambers now. Go to jobzilla.ng and look for jobs with out this discrimination.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by elyoncee: 2:38pm On Nov 14, 2017
Calsito:
Honestly, missing out on a higher grade with few points difference can be very painful, but this is not to say that a 2.2 in Law is a bad grade.

To be honest with you, she cannot go to the Law school with this mindset, because the Law school is another ball game entirely. So if I may advise, I'd say she needs to fire up her self esteem.
When she gets to the Law School, she would meet a lot of people having worse grade than hers striving to finish in the top at the law school and as a matter if fact, if she buckles up, work hard, read every day, participate in group activities, ask questions, pray and shun bad companies, I see her excelling at the Law school.

Also, I want to add that I know someone who graduated with a 2.2 in the university and had a first at the Law school, it boils down to self belief for him. To be honest, you cannot underestimate what someone can achieve with a 2.1 at the Law school not to talk of a first class (the opportunities are countless)

Having said all these, in practice she'd discover that grades don't really matter what matters is how you equip and train yourself as a Lawyer. Most of the famous Lawyers never had awesome grades and even if they did, it was their ability to learn new skills, and develop themselves further that brought them to the level they find themselves.

I had a third class but am working in a law chambers. Have been called for several job interviews.

1 Like

Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by chucky101(m): 2:58pm On Nov 14, 2017
First, ask your sister what is her own definition of success. (For some people, even working in a bank is a life of hardship).There was a time passing your WAEC exams was a guarantee of a comfortable life, but nowadays, having even a foreign masters degree is not guarantee a person will escape poverty.
She should get with the times and understand that success in today's world will require a lot more than university degrees. Although they are kind of a minimum requirement. Learning and and gaining knowledge must never end if you're to make it.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Maisillion(m): 3:15pm On Nov 14, 2017
aonom:
No chance with that type of Engrish sent by poster!

What about ur spelling by the commentor
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Sexyolori(f): 3:51pm On Nov 14, 2017
Being a lawyer with a 2.2 shouldn't bother her. She can make it up in law school and still enjoy a very beautiful legal career and earn well too. It just depends on how committed she is to the profession. She can make it and earn well. Cheer up girl
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by venorite(m): 4:03pm On Nov 14, 2017
Op tell ur sis she has no problem. I work in a bank,i graduated 2.2 in law
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by IMASTEX: 8:20pm On Nov 14, 2017
Zero percent in Nigeria without God fathers.
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by fashrola(m): 4:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
Antecote:

So curious to know Sha...which bank?
Re: What Chances Of Success Does A 2.2 LLB Holder Has? by Antecote(f): 7:16pm On Dec 21, 2018
realleej Hey please can I send a pm. Just read your diary if it’s okay would like to exchange messages thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 7 Best SCIENCE Courses You Can Study In Nigeria 2018 / How Good At Math Are You ? / Absu Departmental Cut Off Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.