Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,154 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

This Thing Called Tithing - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / This Thing Called Tithing (568 Views)

What Is This Thing Situated In Almost Every Nigerian City? (Pictured) / Do You Know This Thing? / See This Thing I Killed In My Room That Looks Like A Snake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Thing Called Tithing by Rating(m): 10:39am On Nov 14, 2017
Tithing is easily not understood because a lot of people have listened to men rather than the Word of God OR taken one part of the Word over the others.

Before going further, if you don't believe the Word of God and you do not take it as it is but you find loopholes to consistently exploit (for whatever reasons), then this is not for you.

Some people grew up in a Christian home and listened to only their parents and priests and have not taken their time to study and understand the Word of God.

With all forms of social media available today, ANYONE can make a statement. You're allowed as much as possible by the laws of the land.

When a Christian attacks a Biblical principle (as in this case, tithing) based on his/her feelings or one part of the Scriptures, then something is lacking.

Tithing is not one Church's doctrine. It's a Biblical principle.

First we heard of it in the Bible was in Genesis 14v20 (when 'Abram' gave Melchizedek a TITHE of all). That tithe meant one-tenth. Melchizedek was the King of Salem and was described as the Priest of God.

What did God say about Tithing?
It's found detailed in Malachi 3v8-12.
That it should be brought into His house so there can be food in His house (that poor people do not go hungry) AND then He will pour out blessings (not just money or material things) and rebuke the devourer targeting the fruits of God's people.

What did Jesus say about Tithing?
It's found in Matthew 23v23.
He chided the scribes and Pharisees that they pay tithes and neglected justice, mercy and faith. He concluded that all should be done.

When we pay tithes as Christians, we pay it to God and not to ANY man. How? By bringing it to His house - the Church (where we are being nurtured by the Word and where we have our spiritual family). Mark 12v41-44.

Hebrews 7v8 concludes that here (on earth) MEN receive Tithe, and that God through Jesus receives them (in heaven).

If you bother yourself about what your Church uses YOUR tithe for, it's not a bad thing. Why? It's expected of us to hold our leaders accountable. Not bad-mouthing them but hold them accountable with respect.

This is not to convince you to be a tither (if you're not one already) but to show you what I understand from the scriptures.

Let's have 'reasonable' discussions wink on this matter in the replies.
Re: This Thing Called Tithing by mikky4764(f): 10:48am On Nov 14, 2017
I believing in tithing and I don't care how or wat it is bin used for...my opinion
Re: This Thing Called Tithing by Rating(m): 11:29am On Nov 14, 2017
mikky4764:
I believing in tithing and I don't care how or wat it is bin used for...my opinion
Nice smiley
Re: This Thing Called Tithing by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 14, 2017
But they said tithing was for the Levites. cry
And that modern day xtians should give to the poor instead. angry embarassed
Re: This Thing Called Tithing by Rating(m): 3:41pm On Nov 14, 2017
shockwave91:
But they said tithing was for the Levites. cry
And that modern day xtians should give to the poor instead. angry embarassed
Who said that o? God/the Apostles? Where? grin

(1) (Reply)

After 15 Years,i Discovered My Husband Has Another Wife In Another City / Ipob:protest Currently Going On In Aba, Abia State. / Why So Many Views But No Posts?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.