Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,719 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Garden Egg Sauce (stew) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Garden Egg Sauce (stew) (2046 Views)

The Delicious Egg Sauce I Cooked / Mouthwatering Vegetable Sauce/stew For Rice / How To Prepare Garden Egg Sauce (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by eneubane1(f): 3:35pm On Nov 15, 2017
Garden Egg Sauce is delicious and locally made with palm oil, which gives it a unique flavour. It can also be prepared with vegetable oil but I do not recommend that.

The palm oil adds colour to the garden egg sauce. This means that when you fry with vegetable oil, it does not look as appetizing.

Unlike ofada stew, vegetable stew and sauce, garden egg sauce and egg stew is perfect for boiled white puna yam, boiled plantains and boiled potatoes.

Ingredients for Garden Egg Sauce
• 8 big garden eggs
• 1 cup palm oil
• 1 bulb onion
• Habanero pepper (as desired)
• Salt to taste
• 1 small ogiri, okpehe (iru)
• 2 small smoked mackerels
• 1 seasoning cube

Directions
• Rinse the garden eggs very well and remove the stalk. Cut the garden eggs into small pieces then blend, grind or pound them into a smooth paste and keep aside.

• Rinse and slice the onion into small pieces. Pound the pepper and okpehe in a mortar till smooth. Shred the smoked fish into small pieces and set aside.

• Pour the garden egg puree into a clean pot and cook till all or almost all the water dries up. Set it aside.

• Pour the palm oil into a clean dry pot and heat it up. Do not bleach it, you only need to heat till a piece of onion sizzles when added to the hot oil.

• When the oil is hot enough, add the onions and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the garden egg puree and stir fry for a bit.

• Cover the pot and cook-fry for some time and stir again till the small amount of water in the garden eggs puree dries up. the palm oil will also be separated from the puree.

• Add the okpehe, habanero pepper blend and salt to your taste then add the smoked fish, stir, cover and leave to simmer and it's done!

• Use the Garden Egg Sauce to eat Boiled White Puna Yam (best combo), Boiled Plantains and Agidi/Eko. If you fried the sauce with vegetable oil, use for Boiled White Rice and Boiled Potatoes.

Source: http://www.versatileblog.com.ng/2017/11/garden-egg-sauce-stew.html

cc; lalasticlala, MissyB3, Mynd44, Ddominique, Obinoscopy,

1 Like

Re: Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by WhiteLavender(f): 4:29pm On Nov 15, 2017
Hmmm...yum yum.
Haven't tried this method though, usually boil the garden eggs and pound it but I'll try this.
What kind of garden egg did you use?

2 Likes

Re: Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by eneubane1(f): 4:38pm On Nov 15, 2017
I used the off white colour garden eggs and it was so delicious, you should try it.
WhiteLavender:
Hmmm...yum yum.
Haven't tried this method though, usually boil the garden eggs and pound it but I'll try this.
What kind of garden egg did you use?
Re: Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by WhiteLavender(f): 4:56pm On Nov 15, 2017
eneubane1:
I used the off white colour garden eggs and it was so delicious, you should try it.
Nice one. I will.

1 Like

Re: Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 15, 2017
OMG, my favorite delicacy cheesy if you haven't tried it until now just know that you missed a lot

1 Like

Re: Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by eneubane1(f): 7:58am On Nov 17, 2017
You are right
McBeal10:
OMG, my favorite delicacy cheesy if you haven't tried it until now just know that you missed a lot
Re: Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by Tamarapetty(f): 3:05pm On Nov 18, 2017
cheesy wonderful meal, i dice my garden eggs though

1 Like

Re: Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by ferhyntorlah(f): 3:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
Tamarapetty:

Same here.

Yam and garden egg stew is bae!

1 Like

Re: Garden Egg Sauce (stew) by eneubane1(f): 7:08pm On Nov 18, 2017
Either way is good, not everyone want their stew smooth.
Tamarapetty:

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Foods On Extinction / Funny Food Mistakes You Have Made / Some Like It "hot",some Like It "cold"!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.