Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,499 members, 7,850,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:14 AM

National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan (5910 Views)

Call Your Wife To Order, Group Warns Jonathan / The Lions Den Of Arewa / Don't Contest 2015 Election- Prophet Warns Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by 18platoon(m): 11:48pm On Mar 23, 2010
@bombay, my condolences to your freinds and family, cos i swear if you continue like this,
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Nobody: 12:25am On Mar 24, 2010
These sort of silly publications never ever have any names assigned to them

It is my view that nobody can demand that Jonathan does not stand for President if there is no law backing it. There is no reason to believe that by 2015 the North will be in unism to want to transfer power to the South. All they need to do is to vote another party and then rotational Presidency at that point will beome more troubles because some will feel once again the goal post is shifting.

I also think it is only in Nigeria that people will try to determine the future of 150million people based on a rule that does not exist on paper.

Does the North want to benefit from ROTATIONAL PRESIDENCY? Then lets have it written in the electoral act so that all parties at any time will honour it.

If not, if we can not have the NASS include this in electoral act. Trust me Rotational Presidency will come to be very problematic at some point.
Jonathan should not jettision his Presidential ambition based on some unwritten rule that I don't know whether any Ijaw man was there when it was brokered.

If I was Jonathan I will as part of Uwais Report send a different Bill to the NASS to write rotational Presidency into law. If the Bill fails then it simply means the Nigerian people have rejected rotational Presidency and no fool can tell him what he should do politically based on nothing.
If the Bill passes taking into cogniscance that SW has had 8years and NW are about to complete their own 4years and clear modalities are worked out on how and when each zone should take their turn. Then fair enough he can go home in 2011 knowing that those are the provisions of the law.

continuing a rotational presidency that does not exist in law is a recipe for a future dissaster.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Beaf: 12:36am On Mar 24, 2010
The rest of the country needs to dig in to fight and utterly defeat those criminals claiming to be fighting for the "Norhern interest". They are nothing short of grand robbers, murderers and worthless parasites. They must be defeated.

It is left for the true Northerners to look around themselves and began to ask intelligent questions about what this so called "Norhern interest" is an why it has never touched them; even though its proponents have ruled this country since 1960 (aside from OBJ who they enthroned to protect "Norhern interest"wink. The North remains, by far the poorest region, but curiously, a handful of its population are by far, the richest Nigerians ("Norhern interest" cool).

It is time for us to put away the useless primordal, tribal sentiments these leaches propagate and reach for merit, which is the most powerful tool for development. Say NO to rotational presidency.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by jookco(m): 3:34am On Mar 24, 2010
Having leaved in Nigeria for more than 17 Years I have never been to the Northern side, but I know for sure that the South Have a bigger purpulation while the north   is biger only in Land or poverty.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Afam(m): 7:59am On Mar 24, 2010
jookco:

Having leaved in Nigeria for more than 17 Years I have never been to the Northern side, but I know for sure that the South Have a bigger purpulation while the north   is biger only in Land or poverty.

If you have never been to the North as you claimed how did you then arrive at your conclusion?
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by edoyad(m): 8:04am On Mar 24, 2010
@OP you haven't clarified this thing enough for me to comment on. When you say north are you referring to berom people or who ? Please clarify while i exercise my fingers.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by jemmyvibe: 12:18pm On Mar 24, 2010
Everyone seems to be warning the Ag president. (Govs warn, North warns, etc warns) Who is the boss?

Business in a Box

Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by supereagle(m): 12:57pm On Mar 24, 2010
If I were Goodluck Jo, I will dismantle PDP machinery , render it impotent party , implement electoral reforms and contest on the platform of another party. the rotation is for PDP.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by chioma134: 1:05pm On Mar 24, 2010
U're a true intellectual,SkyBlue.I think the masses need to be educated seriously on voting a person for his qualification and not for tribe.
Tribalism can never move us forward. For those who think Nigeria is far from that point ,I believe something definite will happen in the nearest future to tip the scales.Afterall,who imagined a black man would become the American president in our time?
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by dempeople(m): 1:13pm On Mar 24, 2010
Lets not pay attention to those wimps. Left for me, the south should move on with the presidency till thy kingdom come and, it should be rotated between the Ndiigbo, Yoruba and Ijaw. I really don't know why people are sort of afraid of these Almajiris. Nonsense. People who have continually kept us in perpetual under-development for so many years.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Afam(m): 1:19pm On Mar 24, 2010
dem_people:

Lets not pay attention to those wimps. Left for me, the south should move on with the presidency till thy kingdom come and, it should be rotated between the Ndiigbo, Yoruba and Ijaw. I really don't know why people are sort of afraid of these Almajiris. Nonsense. People who have continually kept us in perpetual under-development for so many years.

Thanks for your response. It shows the major problem we have.

1. No one is afraid of anyone. We are just hoping that no crisis or war comes up.

2. Your post is the reason some of us claim that those who talk about wars or make suggestions that could cause crisis are usually those outside the country like you because in the real sense you will be insulated from the crisis when it comes.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by chioma134: 1:20pm On Mar 24, 2010
18 platoon @bombay, my condolences to your freinds and family, cos i swear if you continue like this
18 platoon,u're not only tribalistic,u have violent tendencies.Most of ur posts have that quality. And to think u're likely to be a military personell from ur name and previous posts. I shudder at what would happen to the Niger Delta militants or to the Berom people in plateau if u happen to be posted to those places for peacekeeping. God save Nigerians from tribalistic soldiers. grin grin grin
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by darqly(m): 1:22pm On Mar 24, 2010
My opinion,whether or not Goodluck runs, ANY candidate pdp fields is tainted by the covering of that corrupt umbrella. I believe there'll be a major shift and major upset in elections next year,we're after candidates that can deliver,not some lousy rotational policy that invites mediocrity.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by NSNA: 1:28pm On Mar 24, 2010
If they are bent on this their stupidity, then they better keep the North to themselves
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by dot84(m): 1:34pm On Mar 24, 2010
If they are bent on this their stupidity, then they better keep the North to themselves

My sentiments exactly.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Nobody: 1:44pm On Mar 24, 2010
chioma134:

U're a true intellectual,SkyBlue.I think the masses need to be educated seriously on voting a person for his qualification and not for tribe.
Tribalism can never move us forward. For those who think Nigeria is far from that point ,I believe something definite will happen in the nearest future to tip the scales.Afterall,who imagined a black man would become the American president in our time?
in a free and open election where all the 250+ tribe feed its own candidate,do you think all the minority tribes will ever taste the presidential seat.if at the end of the day,only the north keep retaining the seat,will the other tribes called that tribalism.in a multi-ethnic system like ours,the perfect is the rotational presidency as it will guarantee equal rights to power for all the regions.250+ people contesting for one seat,that makes little sense.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Sokwo(m): 2:01pm On Mar 24, 2010
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Wrex(m): 2:05pm On Mar 24, 2010
The problem of the this country is the PDP and the north.They need to be erazed.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 24, 2010
The so-called north has held power since independent,except obj regime and that region is the poorest,the most isolated,and full of the most ignorant and uneducated human (cattles), this Arewa boyscout are greedy bitches who want to fill bank acc wit our money which comes frm the oil region, which has been neglected since indpnd.rotational gov is not in the constitution & if they want it, it should be btw 4 region,south,west,east,and north.these north ppl has always rig cencus,93 election and above just to maintain power.nigerians should nt vote 4 PDP if they want the best 4 the nation. If u vote you wil continue complainin til ur old age pass away. Lock and load 4 any fulani around.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by SkyBlue1: 2:09pm On Mar 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

in a free and open election where all the 250+ tribe feed its own candidate,do you think all the minority tribes will ever taste the presidential seat.if at the end of the day,only the north  keep retaining the seat,will the other tribes called that tribalism.in a multi-ethnic system like ours,the perfect is the rotational presidency as it will guarantee equal rights to power for all the regions.250+ people contesting for one seat,that makes little sense.

At the bolded part. . . . . . . . . . . . . .? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Its either you just don't seem to be able to grasp the issues or you are just being mischevious. Your arguements are all over the place. You said you agree with rotational presidency between "six political zones". I said why six poitcal zones when there are in fact 250+ ethnic groups? How does that solve the problem of equity? In the proposed rotation among 250+ ethnic groups (which would be the proper and just way if we are to rotate properly),why would it cause a problem? Why would justice and equity make little sense to you? Why would anybody else be running for presidency in that kind of rotation when it is not their turn? Do you now see how silly the bolded part of your arguement is? Why this nervousness of rotating properly? What is the fear? You want to rotate but you don't want to rotate properly, you want to run ethnic politics but you don't want to recognise all ethnic groups, you want (I hope) a good candidate but you want him to come from 'the right place at the right time'. Is this not confusion? If rotation between 250+ ethnic groups makes little sense, then so does rotation between six geo political zones, so please enough. I keep saying, at least be courageous enough to express the arrogance of your proposition more openly, so trhat we know once and for all that in Nigeria all are not equal. Your earlier comment still comes to mind. "it would be left for each region to conduct its own internal arrangement"; what on earth does that mean? And what would such arrangements be? Ugh
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by dempeople(m): 2:11pm On Mar 24, 2010
Afam:

Thanks for your response. It shows the major problem we have.

1. No one is afraid of anyone. We are just hoping that no crisis or war comes up.

2. Your post is the reason some of us claim that those who talk about wars or make suggestions that could cause crisis are usually those outside the country like you because in the real sense you will be insulated from the crisis when it comes.

I never insinuated anything about violence or wars. I simply want the country to move forward (this is the 21st century and, countries are running away with developments) and if it takes a Southern president to do that, then I really don't bloody care about the demands coming from up north. As for me residing outside the country, It has nothing to do with anything. Apart from me, all my immediate family members are back home. Even if this isn't the case, I don't expect myself to take abode outside the country while my country people perish in a war. I'd find it an astounding case of cowardice. My humble opinion though.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Nobody: 2:23pm On Mar 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Its either you just don't seem to be able to grasp the issues or you are just being mischevious. Your arguements are all over the place. You said you agree with rotational presidency between "six political zones". I said why six poitcal zones when there are in fact 250+ ethnic groups? How does that solve the problem of equity? In the proposed rotation among 250+ ethnic groups (which would be the proper and just way if we are to rotate properly),why would it cause a problem? Why would justice and equity make little sense to you? Why would anybody else be running for presidency in that kind of rotation when it is not their turn? Do you now see how silly the bolded part of your arguement is? Why this nervousness of rotating properly? What is the fear? You want to rotate but you don't want to rotate properly, you want to run ethnic politics but you don't want to recognise all ethnic groups, you want (I hope) a good candidate but you want him to come from 'the right place at the right time'. Is this not confusion? If rotation between 250+ ethnic groups makes little sense, then so does rotation between six geo political zones, so please enough. I keep saying, at least be courageous enough to express the arrogance of your proposition more openly, so trhat we know once and for all that in Nigeria all are not equal. Your earlier comment still comes to mind. "it would be left for each region to conduct its own internal arrangement"; what on earth does that mean? And what would such arrangements be? Ugh
you know that would not be possible.we should always proposed things that are feasible.the electoral law will have identify all the tribes in nigeria and do the arrangement.its not a bad idea but for simplicty purpose,the constitution should extend regional bundaries and recognized them.then at the time of each region to produce a presidential candidate,they can reach a concensus to push forward a candidate but anyways i understand your point.thanks
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by SkyBlue1: 2:31pm On Mar 24, 2010
~Bluetooth:

you know that would not be possible.we should always proposed things that are feasible.the electoral law will have identify all the tribes in nigeria and do the arrangement.its not a bad idea but for simplicty purpose,the constitution should extend regional bundaries and recognized them.then at the time of each region to produce a presidential candidate,they can reach a concensus to push forward a candidate but anyways i understand your point.thanks

If we can't rotate properly then why rotate at all? How would have measures promote better equity and justice? We could push for a more credible and thorough electoral process which enables the best man for the job to rise to the top, but rotation would be a better option? Why exactly do we need to rotate if we can't rotate properly? To satisfy who exactly?
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Tuyis: 2:44pm On Mar 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

My question to you is, why box yourself into a corner by having to choose between two extremes, both of which you know in your heart of hearts will never work in Nigeria, now or in the nearest future.
In one extreme, you want a system where we disregard the ethnic and regional cleavages in Nigeria and just vote for the best candidates. I must say, this is very lofty and would have been the best case for Nigeria. But the problem is, this very system led to the death of the first and second republic, leading Nigeria to a state of perpetual instability from which it is yet to recover.
On the other extreme, you want a "proper" rotation between 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, which in my opinion is completely absurd and unworkable.
The main problem with Nigeria since independence is our inability to transfer power peacefully between one leader and the next, not because there were shortages of capable leaders.

It should also be noted that the only civilian to civilian transfer of power ever in Nigeria was made possible by the principle of rotation of power. If this system is working for Nigeria, what then is the problem. Why can't it be refined and perfected to at least wean Nigeria away from a culture of crisis and acrimony everytime there is a change of power.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Afam(m): 2:49pm On Mar 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

If we can't rotate properly then why rotate at all? How would have measures promote better equity and justice? We could push for a more credible and thorough electoral process which enables the best man for the job to rise to the top, but rotation would be a better option? Why exactly do we need to rotate if we can't rotate properly? To satisfy who exactly?

Why stop at 250 ethnic nationalities? Why not propose every single clan or even nuclear family?

Why must we reduce serious issues to unworkable or impossible options just because we disagree with a position?

Rotational presidency remains the only workable solution today until we are able to resolve most of the problems that fuel the suspicion, distrust and desperation to hold on to power because it guarantees that no single region will hold on to power at the highest level for so long.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 2:50pm On Mar 24, 2010
I hope OBJ is watching the work of his hands.
They wanna removed the PDP head to make sure that Jonathan listen to them, and intall another Yaradua.
Nigeria will survive one day . . . .Jonathan is not any better too sha
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

i think the rotation policy was adopted by the pdp in 1999 to compensate the yoruba for the abiola saga.if you remember in 2003,obasanjo had to convince atiku to step down in order to complete his two term in office on the promise that he would handover to him 2007.that was where it started.the problem is that most national issues/policy have been hijacked by the pdp because there was no strong opposing party.therefore the constitutin was rendered useless
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by MsTom(f): 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2010
Sky Blue:

Rotate what?! who agreed with them. It is so unconstitutional. It is a PDP thingy. rotate ko. circumference ni. PDP is not the only party in Nigeria. why are they talking about rotating? Because of rotation they put yaradua there even though he was a sick man. It almost caused problems for the nation. What we need is a man whether from the north, south, east or west , whatever party he might be to be allowed to move this nation forward. This can only be done though a true and fair election.

I wonder why these PDP are so confident of the next election. Like they know the next president already. It is as if they know they are gonna win even before campaigning.  angry angry angry
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by SkyBlue1: 3:02pm On Mar 24, 2010
Tuyis:

My question to you is, why box yourself into a corner by having to choose between two extremes, both of which you know in your heart of hearts will never work in Nigeria, now or in the nearest future.
In one extreme, you want a system where we disregard the ethnic and regional cleavages in Nigeria and just vote for the best candidates. I must say, this is very lofty and would have been the best case for Nigeria. But the problem is, this very system led to the death of the first and second republic, leading Nigeria to a state of perpetual instability from which it is yet to recover.
On the other extreme, you want a "proper" rotation between 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, which in my opinion is completely absurd and unworkable.
The main problem with Nigeria since independence is our inability to transfer power peacefully between one leader and the next, not because there were shortages of capable leaders.

It should also be noted that the only civilian to civilian transfer of power ever in Nigeria was made possible by the principle of rotation of power. If this system is working for Nigeria, what then is the problem. Why can't it be refined and perfected to at least wean Nigeria away from a culture  crisis and acrimony every there is a change of power.

In a country where even local government elections are rife with ethnic politics, I was trying to highlight how aspiring towards a system which sacrifices ability as a compromise to ethnocentric politiking in itself is absurd if peace is what is actually being sought. How many ethnic groups are in the south south? Do you know how many ethnic groups are in River State alone? I hope you know there are much more than just Ikwerres and Ijaws. And what about the Mid Belt, how many ethnic groups are there? You really think asking such groups to "sort themeselves out and produce a candidate" would douse the tensions in such regions? If peace is what is being sought then rotation between six geopolitcal zones is absurd and I dare say even more absurd than my proposal.

However, if peace is not the issue, and what is being sought is a simple compromise that would satisfy short term greed and satisfaction, then fine, you can propose your rotation solution. But please, for crying out loud don't try and hide it under the banner of "for peace, progress and development", because it is not. What would bring genuine development and possible peace and progress along with it, is crafting a system that encourages the best man to rise to the top (no matter where they are from). What would bring about a feeling of equity and peace in a rotational system is proper rotation and not more WAZOBIA like politics. So why go half way between those and compromise any possible good? You say my ideas are lofty, no offence but I will reply that Nigerians are lazy. No need to keep building short term foundations that would cause more problems in the future just so we can sleep well tonight.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by SkyBlue1: 3:05pm On Mar 24, 2010
Afam:

Why stop at 250 ethnic nationalities? Why not propose every single clan or even nuclear family?

Why must we reduce serious issues to unworkable or impossible options just because we disagree with a position?

Rotational presidency remains the only workable solution today until we are able to resolve most of the problems that fuel the suspicion, distrust and desperation to hold on to power because it guarantees that no single region will hold on to power at the highest level for so long.

With regards to the bolded part, I politely disagree. You are free to call it idealism if you want but I believe it isn't. If Nigerians just worked together and put pressure on the government till we get a system that is equittable and more egalitarian than what we have now. Having a system which promotes the best man for the job regardless of ethnicity is not impossible, it just requires work, the question is whether Nigerians in general are ready to work for it.
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 3:07pm On Mar 24, 2010
Each time i read of this rotational nonsense, it makes my stomach turn
Re: National President Of Arewa Youth Forum Warns Jonathan by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 24, 2010
MsTom:

Rotate what?! who agreed with them. It is so unconstitutional. It is a PDP thingy. rotate ko. circumference ni. PDP is not the only party in Nigeria. why are they talking about rotating? Because of rotation they put yaradua there even though he was a sick man. It almost caused problems for the nation. What we need is a man whether from the north, south, east or west , whatever party he might be to be allowed to move this nation forward. This can only be done though a true and fair election.

I wonder why these PDP are so confident of the next election. Like they know the next president already. It is as if they know they are gonna win even before campaigning.  angry angry angry
it's not easy like you suggested because of our multi-ethnic status.rotation makes thing easy here.
Sky Blue:

In a country where even local government elections are rife with ethnic politics, I was trying to highlight how aspiring towards a system which sacrifices ability as a compromise to ethnocentric politiking in itself is absurd if peace is what is actually being sought. How many ethnic groups are in the south south? Do you know how many ethnic groups are in River State alone? I hope you know there are much more than just Ikwerres and Ijaws. And what about the Mid Belt, how many ethnic groups are there? You really think asking such groups to "sort themeselves out and produce a candidate" would douse the tensions in such regions? If peace is what is being sought then rotation between six geopolitcal zones is absurd and I dare say even more absurd than my proposal. However, if peace is not the issue, and what s being sought is a simple compromise that would satisfy short term greed and satisfaction, then fine, you can propose your rotation solution. But please, for crying out loud don't try and hide it under the banner of "for peace, progress and development", because it is not. What would bring genuine development and possible peace and progress along with it, is crafting a system that en,courages the best man to rise to the top (no matter where they are from). What would bring about a feeling of equity and peace in a rotational system is proper rotation and not more WAZOBIA like politics. So why go half way between those and compromise any possible good? You say my ideas are lofty, no offence but I will reply that Nigerians are lazy. No need to keep building short term foundations that would cause more problems in the future just so we can sleep well tonight.
8 years x 250 tribes each,i guessed it will take more than trust and honesty to sustain that policy in the long run.it looks boring and un-implementable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Madalla Blast Victims Released -98% Igbo / Review North-East Budget Or Face Insurgency - Ex-Yobe Governor To GEJ / Why Does Everyone Make Such A Big Deal Of Igbos Migrating To Other Regions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.