Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,144 members, 7,821,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy (3562 Views)

Itel P37: First Impressions And Unboxing / My Experience and Unboxing of The Infinix S4 / Infinix Hot S4 Hands On Review And First Impressions + Price (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:11am On Nov 17, 2017
Normally when it comes to drones, we all expect all drones to be very expensive but there are actually a few drones that are budget friendly with specifications that are not too bad.

Highlights Of JJRC H37 Elfie Drone

Portable / Foldable Design
APP control (G-sensor and virtual sticks);
Wi-Fi real-time image transmission;
Altitude hold (auto-hover);
One key return-to-home (not GPS);
Headless flight mode;
Multiple flight speed rates (30%, 60% and 100%);
About 8 – 15 minutes of flight time;
Near 100 meters control range in open field.

I got my hands on a H37 drone review unit (thanks to PrimeHomes ) and I spent 3 days handling the mini quad-copter drone and I'm quite impressed with the drone.

What's In The Box?

The drone comes in a portable box. There's nothing to flashy about the packaging so I'll go straight to what's inside.

Inside the box, you've got the Elfie Drone, USB Charger that looks like a Flash Drive. I actually thought it was a flash drive before I actually brought it out and examined it properly.

There's also the Instructional Manual, a velvet pouch and an extra set of propellers just in case something goes wrong during the flight and any of your drone's propellers gets damaged.

Battery

The JJRC H37 Elfie Drone comes with a 500 mAh LiPo Battery. The first time I opened the back of the drone, the battery wasn't plugged in and I found it a little bit difficult fixing it correctly the first time but after fixing the battery about 3 - 4 times everything got quite easy.

What I don't really like about the battery is the fact that you have to remove it from the drone and charge it separately. Try to be careful when you're handling the battery so you won't end up cutting the wires while trying to unplug it.

The battery takes about 15-25 minutes to charge fully. Once the battery gets low, the drone would automatically shut down when you try to lift it off so you have to plug it in with the charger.

Once you plug it in the USB charger displays a red charging light and stops displaying once the battery is full.

Camera

The camera is a wide range 0.3MP camera. Wi-Fi FPV allows the drone to capture photos and videos with resolution of 720 x 576 pixels. Recording up to five minutes of video only takes about 23 MB. All pictures and videos are stored directly on your smartphone hence there's need for an SD card.

You can find the video files are stored in the VS FPV folder. The camera’s real-time video feed can be displayed on your mobile device (smartphone/tablet) through the VS FPV App or in the folder of the app recommended by your manual.
Note : Your Drone Manual may ask you to install a different App. My review unit requires VS FPV.

Images Taken From The JJRC H37 Drone

First Flight

Before your first flight, you need the install the APP recommended on your manual on your mobile device. After unfolding the arms, power ON the quad and look turn on the app and connect to the drone's wifi Hotspot. (It's usually an open WiFi network)

In the case of mine it's "trust-toys-6cce69"

Once it's connected launch the app and tap on connect. You should see the live feed and the virtual joysticks displaying above the feed. Select On to turn on the drone. Usually, by default the propellers are automatically set to be in idle mode so you have to tap on the icon that's located on the right side of the drone speed (the one displaying 30 is the drone speed)
Once you're done, push up the throttle stick (left one) and the drone will start to rise. Please use your manual if you don't understand. Trust me I tried flying the drone without reading the manual properly and I couldn't even control it.

I don't recommend flying indoors if you've not gotten used to the controls. It's best you start outdoors.. Also I recommend you leave the default speed at 30 until you're perfect with it.

In case of emergency you can use the “Stop” button, this will stop all the motors instantly.

Here's The Flight Test Video :
[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o--jgHojC0M[/youtube]

JJRC H37 Flight Control

You can control the drone in two ways, using the virtual sticks or through gravity sensor by tilting the phone. Basically the JJRC Elfie H37 can be controlled just the way you play a mobile game,When you want to land your drone, you just need to press the arrow-down button, and the drone will land and stop its motors.

Common Issues With The Drone

Of course I won't say I didn't have my own share of technical mishaps when using the drone.

1. Drone Keeps Flying To One Side.

It means it's miscalibrated and you need to recalibrate the drone. Place it on a flat surface and connect it to your phone and launch the app. Turn on the drone, go to settings (gear icon) and select calibration. ( it's the last icon on the settings menu). When you do this, the drone's front and rear LED lights would blink continuously for about 7-10 seconds. Once it's done calibrating your drone is ready to fly.

2. Drone Not Turning On After Crash Landing

Unplug the battery and plug it in back.

3. Drone Goes Off When It's About Taking Off
The battery's probably low so all you have to do is to charge the battery

4. Camera Feed Not Displaying On Your Phone

Simply close the app (don't minimize it). Turn off your WiFi and turn it on again. Once you're reconnected to the drone, launch the app and connect. Everything should be okay

JJRC Elfie Drone Full Specifications And Price In Nigeria

Features: Controlled By Phone,WiFi FPV
Motor Type: Brushed Motor

Functions : 3D rollover,Camera,Forward/backward,FPV,Gravity Sense Control,Headless Mode,One Key Automatic Return,One Key Taking Off,Sideward flight,Turn left/right,Up/down,WiFi Connection,With light

Built-in Gyro: 6 Axis Gyro
Night Flight: Yes
Material: Electronic Components,Plastic
Remote Control: WiFi Remote Control
Channel: 4-Channels

Detailed Control Distance: About 100m
Transmitter Power: No transmitter included
Battery: 3.7V 500mAh
Flying Time: 8-15mins

Charging Time (h): about 30mins
Video Resolution: 720P

Pricing - You can get the drone for N25,500 on Konga or from PrimeHomesNg.

Verdict
I'd say the drone is pretty good and one of the best at this price range, however I'm not okay with the fact that you'll have to keep unplugging the battery to charge it and the lack of an obstacle sensor makes it a little bit difficult to handle in enclosed areas but anyone that can handle this drone perfectly would certainly have no problems handling the ones with obstacle sensors.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:12am On Nov 17, 2017
source -http://www.naijatechguy.com/2017/10/jjrc-h37-elfie-drone-review-affordable.html

p.s- direct link to get the drone is on the source

cc mynd44
cc lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by Nobody: 7:18am On Nov 17, 2017
all these bloggers keep unboxing expensive gadget up and down, still u can't give one u don't use again, egocentric at its highest peak lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:22am On Nov 17, 2017
RETIREDMUMU:
all these bloggers keep unboxing expensive gadget up and down, still u can't give one u don't use again, egocentric at its highest peak lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
hehehe..bro we do make out time for giveaways
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by pweshboi(m): 7:40am On Nov 17, 2017
nice review and unboxing, you didn't give the price range bro
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by Blackpromise(m): 9:32am On Nov 17, 2017
pweshboi:
nice review and unboxing, you didn't give the price range bro
HE did.

1 Like

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by EvilMetahuman: 10:52am On Nov 17, 2017
Blackpromise:

HE did.
just 10k on jumia.

2 Likes

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by PrinxArthur1(m): 11:21am On Nov 17, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
Normally when it comes to drones, we all expect all drones to be very expensive but there are actually a few drones that are budget friendly with specifications that are not too bad.

Highlights Of JJRC H37 Elfie Drone

Portable / Foldable Design
APP control (G-sensor and virtual sticks);
Wi-Fi real-time image transmission;
Altitude hold (auto-hover);
One key return-to-home (not GPS);
Headless flight mode;
Multiple flight speed rates (30%, 60% and 100%);
About 8 – 15 minutes of flight time;
Near 100 meters control range in open field.

I got my hands on a H37 drone review unit (thanks to PrimeHomes ) and I spent 3 days handling the mini quad-copter drone and I'm quite impressed with the drone.

What's In The Box?

The drone comes in a portable box. There's nothing to flashy about the packaging so I'll go straight to what's inside.

Inside the box, you've got the Elfie Drone, USB Charger that looks like a Flash Drive. I actually thought it was a flash drive before I actually brought it out and examined it properly.

There's also the Instructional Manual, a velvet pouch and an extra set of propellers just in case something goes wrong during the flight and any of your drone's propellers gets damaged.

Battery

The JJRC H37 Elfie Drone comes with a 500 mAh LiPo Battery. The first time I opened the back of the drone, the battery wasn't plugged in and I found it a little bit difficult fixing it correctly the first time but after fixing the battery about 3 - 4 times everything got quite easy.

What I don't really like about the battery is the fact that you have to remove it from the drone and charge it separately. Try to be careful when you're handling the battery so you won't end up cutting the wires while trying to unplug it.

The battery takes about 15-25 minutes to charge fully. Once the battery gets low, the drone would automatically shut down when you try to lift it off so you have to plug it in with the charger.

Once you plug it in the USB charger displays a red charging light and stops displaying once the battery is full.

Camera

The camera is a wide range 0.3MP camera. Wi-Fi FPV allows the drone to capture photos and videos with resolution of 720 x 576 pixels. Recording up to five minutes of video only takes about 23 MB. All pictures and videos are stored directly on your smartphone hence there's need for an SD card.

You can find the video files are stored in the VS FPV folder. The camera’s real-time video feed can be displayed on your mobile device (smartphone/tablet) through the VS FPV App or in the folder of the app recommended by your manual.
Note : Your Drone Manual may ask you to install a different App. My review unit requires VS FPV.

Images Taken From The JJRC H37 Drone

First Flight

Before your first flight, you need the install the APP recommended on your manual on your mobile device. After unfolding the arms, power ON the quad and look turn on the app and connect to the drone's wifi Hotspot. (It's usually an open WiFi network)

In the case of mine it's "trust-toys-6cce69"

Once it's connected launch the app and tap on connect. You should see the live feed and the virtual joysticks displaying above the feed. Select On to turn on the drone. Usually, by default the propellers are automatically set to be in idle mode so you have to tap on the icon that's located on the right side of the drone speed (the one displaying 30 is the drone speed)
Once you're done, push up the throttle stick (left one) and the drone will start to rise. Please use your manual if you don't understand. Trust me I tried flying the drone without reading the manual properly and I couldn't even control it.

I don't recommend flying indoors if you've not gotten used to the controls. It's best you start outdoors.. Also I recommend you leave the default speed at 30 until you're perfect with it.

In case of emergency you can use the “Stop” button, this will stop all the motors instantly.

Here's The Flight Test Video :
[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o--jgHojC0M[/youtube]

JJRC H37 Flight Control

You can control the drone in two ways, using the virtual sticks or through gravity sensor by tilting the phone. Basically the JJRC Elfie H37 can be controlled just the way you play a mobile game,When you want to land your drone, you just need to press the arrow-down button, and the drone will land and stop its motors.

Common Issues With The Drone

Of course I won't say I didn't have my own share of technical mishaps when using the drone.

1. Drone Keeps Flying To One Side.

It means it's miscalibrated and you need to recalibrate the drone. Place it on a flat surface and connect it to your phone and launch the app. Turn on the drone, go to settings (gear icon) and select calibration. ( it's the last icon on the settings menu). When you do this, the drone's front and rear LED lights would blink continuously for about 7-10 seconds. Once it's done calibrating your drone is ready to fly.

2. Drone Not Turning On After Crash Landing

Unplug the battery and plug it in back.

3. Drone Goes Off When It's About Taking Off
The battery's probably low so all you have to do is to charge the battery

4. Camera Feed Not Displaying On Your Phone

Simply close the app (don't minimize it). Turn off your WiFi and turn it on again. Once you're reconnected to the drone, launch the app and connect. Everything should be okay

JJRC Elfie Drone Full Specifications And Price In Nigeria

Features: Controlled By Phone,WiFi FPV
Motor Type: Brushed Motor

Functions : 3D rollover,Camera,Forward/backward,FPV,Gravity Sense Control,Headless Mode,One Key Automatic Return,One Key Taking Off,Sideward flight,Turn left/right,Up/down,WiFi Connection,With light

Built-in Gyro: 6 Axis Gyro
Night Flight: Yes
Material: Electronic Components,Plastic
Remote Control: WiFi Remote Control
Channel: 4-Channels

Detailed Control Distance: About 100m
Transmitter Power: No transmitter included
Battery: 3.7V 500mAh
Flying Time: 8-15mins

Charging Time (h): about 30mins
Video Resolution: 720P

Verdict
I'd say the drone is pretty good and one of the best at this price range, however I'm not okay with the fact that you'll have to keep unplugging the battery to charge it and the lack of an obstacle sensor makes it a little bit difficult to handle in enclosed areas but anyone that can handle this drone perfectly would certainly have no problems handling the ones with obstacle sensors.
how can I get licenses from NCAA?
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 11:58am On Nov 17, 2017
PrinxArthur1:
. If you need a licence, please make sure its for a bigger drone like a Dji. Contact NCAA via email.

1 Like

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by samsam2019: 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
how long does a full charge last
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by lastbaff(m): 5:15pm On Nov 17, 2017
Nice review man. Keep it up.

Guys, here's all you need to know about drones in Nigeria. Check out the discussion in the comments.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by lastbaff(m): 5:17pm On Nov 17, 2017
PrinxArthur1:
Check the link above. Read the comments. It should help.
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:29pm On Nov 17, 2017
samsam2019:
how long does a full charge last

8-15 minutes..
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by samsam2019: 9:01pm On Nov 17, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

8-15 minutes..
makes no sense then
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by khalidx: 1:19am On Nov 18, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
abeg quote me when you have any giveaway please
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by Primehomesng: 9:38am On Nov 18, 2017
EvilMetahuman:
just 10k on jumia.
You have to wait 3weeks to get it with 10k..No returns also
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by bobo65(m): 10:19am On Nov 18, 2017
There are other expensive ones with doper camera

About 150k with 8mp camera and about 1500mah

Was used at a frnds wedding, flew for an hour plus and the pictures was clear

Had its own controller, Omo d drone make sense
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 1:06pm On Nov 18, 2017
khalidx:
abeg quote me when you have any giveaway please
sure
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:21am On Nov 20, 2017
bobo65:

That's nice. Do you have the drone's name. You could still hire the DJi Drone For Events from PrimeHomes as long as you're good at flying drones.

1 Like

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:23am On Nov 20, 2017
cc mynd44 cc lalasticlala
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by Cyb3rhack3r: 7:13am On Nov 20, 2017
Quite impressive review.
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by Primehomesng: 6:38am On Nov 21, 2017
bobo65:

Please what is the name of the drone... Because even the latest DJi phantom 4 Pro has a flight time of just 30minutes
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by bobo65(m): 8:18am On Nov 21, 2017
Primehomesng:

Please what is the name of the drone... Because even the latest DJi phantom 4 Pro has a flight time of just 30minutes

Didn't look at that o

But it has its own controller not the one u control thru phones and d camera is clear
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by Primehomesng: 8:54pm On Nov 23, 2017
[url][/url]
bobo65:

Didn't look at that o

But it has its own controller not the one u control thru phones and d camera is clear
That should be a DJi drone too
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by itsmolep(m): 11:20am On Nov 29, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
sure
please do you know how to calibrate a FQ777 FQ17W drone?? I've tried calibrating mine but it still keeps flying to one side. bought last Friday on jumia and it was delivered yesterday but couldn't enjoy. any help
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by tellsblinks(m): 11:41am On Nov 29, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

That's nice. Do you have the drone's name. You could still hire the DJi Drone For Events from PrimeHomes as long as you're good at flying drones.

Hi. Am intrested in hiring one for church program pls direct me on what next
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by naijatechgist: 1:13pm On Nov 29, 2017
This drone will be very useful to monitor village people movement this Xmas season.... grin
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 2:10pm On Nov 29, 2017
tellsblinks:

Contact primehomesng I think they offer drone hiring services
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by NaijaTechGuy(m): 2:12pm On Nov 29, 2017
itsmolep:
please do you know how to calibrate a FQ777 FQ17W drone?? I've tried calibrating mine but it still keeps flying to one side. bought last Friday on jumia and it was delivered yesterday but couldn't enjoy. any help
I experienced that while reviewing the Elfie drone.. Does the drone come with a separate controller or is it controlled from your smartphone
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by Primehomesng: 2:15pm On Nov 29, 2017
tellsblinks:

Hi.. How are you doing
Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by MrBONE2(m): 7:29pm On Nov 29, 2017
naijatechgist:
This drone will be very useful to monitor village people movement this Xmas season.... grin
The drone would be useful for me, cos it can act as Ariel surveillance device during Hunting grin

1 Like

Re: My Hands On Review and Unboxing Of A Smartphone Controlled Drone - NaijaTechGuy by itsmolep(m): 12:04am On Nov 30, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

I experienced that while reviewing the Elfie drone.. Does the drone come with a separate controller or is it controlled from your smartphone

it has a controller and can also be controlled with a smartphone

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chinese Schools Now Use ‘smart Uniforms’ To Track Their Students’ Locations / Should I Buy This S10 Plus For 50k?? Help / Your Thoughts On This Pencil Drawing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.