Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

Jesus Supported Tithing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Supported Tithing (6462 Views)

Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing / Have You Ever Been Blessed Through Tithing And Giving In Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 17, 2017
Its the last days and the recent attacks on the church and its leadership doesn't come as a surprise. The Bible says in the last days men would not be able to endure sound doctrines but shall heap to themselves teachers cos of their itching ears. It simply means that people will listen to teachers who teach subjects that appeals to their bias or sentiments... How else can u explain someone(who previously has only been popular for wrong controversial reasons) overnight just start a movement and now ppl takes all he says seriously if not simply for d fact dat wat he says appeals to their bias..

To say Jesus didn't say anything in support of tithing is totally false.. Here is Jesus statement in matt23:23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Matthew 23:23 KJV

Incase you didn't understand that last sentence, here is another version..

“It will be bad for you teachers of the law and you Pharisees! You are hypocrites! You give God a tenth of the food you get, even your mint, dill, and cumin. But you don’t obey the really important teachings of the law—being fair, showing mercy, and being faithful. These are the things you should do. And you should also continue to do those other things.
Matthew 23:23 ERV
Now to say Jesus abolished tithing and offering is totally wrong..

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nasa28(m): 8:32am On Nov 17, 2017
Jesus did not abolish tithing in any way.Also, he never talked about it the way our pastors are talking about it . mind you, he was referring to scribes and Pharisees. Moreover, for him not to have laid much emphasis on it says a lot about it .

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nwodosis(m): 8:38am On Nov 17, 2017
The pastors are fighting back to save the means of their livelihood! But we all know the Truth that tithe is a fraud as we are neither Israelites nor Levites.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by UbanmeUdie: 8:44am On Nov 17, 2017
shocked

Tithing is a covenant practice and the patriarchs of faith beginning with Abraham practiced it.

It only became a law in the time of Moses.

It is true that this is the dispensation of grace but grace didn't abolish the law. Grace only secures and confers pardon on us for our shortcomings.

Jesus came to fulfill the law and not abolish it. This include the law of tithing.

The following are few scriptures in the new testament that validates tithing as a covenant practice.

Luke 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Hebrews 7

Thank you op for this thread, I have sent you a DM and would like to discuss extensively on this outside this platform.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 17, 2017
Nwodosis:
The pastors are fighting back to save the means of their livelihood! But we all know the Truth that tithe is a fraud as we are neither Israelites nor Levites.
well going with ur logic, all of Jesus teachings are only for the Israelite cos for all the years he was on earth he spoke to only ppl in Israel but Paul the apostle said we are now the Israel of God in christ whether jews or gentiles

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by femidejulius(m): 8:55am On Nov 17, 2017
Make I book space here. It's probably gonna get interesting. Hey, you shift small jor!
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 17, 2017
undecided
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 7:41pm On Nov 17, 2017
I am neither for nor against tithing. What the concerned critics are saying is that TITHING has been BASTARDIZED by the modern church.
Why are pastors not paying TAX. Jesus paid tax, when he asked Peter to go the river and remove a coin from the mouth of the first fish that he would catch. He ordered Peter to pay the coin to the authority as tax.

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 8:12pm On Nov 17, 2017
velai:
I am neither for nor against tithing. What the concerned critics are saying is that TITHING has been BASTARDIZED by the modern church.
Why are pastors not paying TAX. Jesus paid tax, when he asked Peter to go the river and remove a coin from the mouth of the first fish that he would catch. He ordered Peter to pay the coin to the authority as tax.
about the tax issue, it depends on the country law. There are countries where churches pay tax. In Nigeria, any organization registered as a non profit organization does not pay tax hence all religious organizations(churches, mosques etc even popular clubs) don't pay tax.. Its not limited to church alone and if tomorrow dat tax law is reviewed, den churches and other religious groups will pay tax..
By d way, businesses owned by churches such as universities pay tax

3 Likes

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 17, 2017
salvation101:
about the tax issue, it depends on the country law. There are countries where churches pay tax. In Nigeria, any organization registered as a non profit organization does not pay tax hence all religious organizations(churches, mosques etc even popular clubs) don't pay tax.. Its not limited to church alone and if tomorrow dat tax law is reviewed, den churches and other religious groups will pay tax..
Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by ichuka(m): 11:42pm On Nov 17, 2017
salvation101:
Its the last days and the recent attacks on the church and its leadership doesn't come as a surprise. The Bible says in the last days men would not be able to endure sound doctrines but shall heap to themselves teachers cos of their itching ears. It simply means that people will listen to teachers who teach subjects that appeals to their bias or sentiments... How else can u explain someone(who previously has only been popular for wrong controversial reasons) overnight just start a movement and now ppl takes all he says seriously if not simply for d fact dat wat he says appeals to their bias..

To say Jesus didn't say anything in support of tithing is totally false.. Here is Jesus statement in matt23:23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

“It will be bad for you teachers of the law and you Pharisees! You are hypocrites! You give God a tenth of the food you get, even your mint, dill, and cumin. But you don’t obey the really important teachings of the law—being fair, showing mercy, and being faithful. These are the things you should do. And you should also continue to do those other things.
Yes Christ supported tithing before the Cross.
As far as it's tithe of mints and cummin.(which are crops)
Not minding that in Abrahams time there was monetary system.
have u ask urself why fishermen,Capenter etc weren't told to tithe?
My dear,tithe has nothing to do with our monetary system now that's a "FACT"
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by petra1(m): 5:47am On Nov 18, 2017
salvation101:
well going with ur logic, all of Jesus teachings are only for the Israelite cos for all the years he was on earth he spoke to only ppl in Israel but Paul the apostle said we are now the Israel of God in christ whether jews or gentiles

Beautiful analogy . If tithing is only for the new then alms giving , fasting , prayer , offering , is only for the Jews . That’s what I’ve been trying to comunicate . Why will Satan single out the tithe. It only confirms the spiritual importance of the tithe
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by MuttleyLaff: 6:41am On Nov 18, 2017
Nwodosis:
Thank you ojaare

salvation101:
Which tribe of Israel are you now then?
Mention a name, just mention one of the tribes of Israel you have become part of
It is difficult to name one, isn't it?
You know why you can't give a name of the tribe?
It is difficult because you have misquoted and misinterpreted that scripture, all to validate tithing by aligning tithe giving with it

It is like a white person who has naturalised as a Nigerian, trying to claim to be Ibo, Yoruba, Hausa or any ethnic group in Naija.
The adoption doesn't make such person to be a Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa etcetera, same as being now Israel if God doesn't make you or anyone be a Levite or other tribes in Israel

petra1:
Beautiful analogy.
If tithing is only for the Jew
then alms giving, fasting, prayer, offering,
is only for the Jews.
That’s what I’ve been trying to comunicate . Why will Satan single out the tithe.
It only confirms the spiritual importance of the tithe
Satan doesn't give a rats arse over singly out the tithe
and so only confirms the lack of spiritual importance of the tithe

What is giving Satan sleepless nights, is the fear of people becoming aware of the revolutionary way of giving, which at all times, is devoid of a fixed percentage or tithe

Nothing personal.
I need to correct a lie.
I wonder why some, don’t want others to see the error when and where they are being misled and demanded to give tithe

There is no must in giving, talkless of a must to give tithe.

It is nowhere written, to say exactly how much must be given or must be done.

It however, is written, that, without prejudice, you give how much you have decided in your heart,
that you give what you are pleased with and won't be sorrowful about it at the end of or after the giving

The percentage you give is not fixed or stipulated.
You can decide to give 1%,
Or decide to give 10% today, as in 10% equals a tenth or tithe.
Decide to give half or 50% tomorrow,
Decide to give all or 100%, the following day.
Decide to give nothing or 0% another day
Decide to give 1% again some other day

As we can see, there is nothing fixed.
Giving is not cast in a tithe or 10% stone.
Anyone that tells you different,
has a low understanding of each tithe mentions in the bible, particularly the tithe Abraham performed
and doesn't appreciate the revolutionary way of giving for the purpose of the Kingdom

7 Likes

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 18, 2017
ichuka:

Yes Christ supported tithing before the Cross.
As far as it's tithe of mints and cummin.(which are crops)
Not minding that in Abrahams time there was monetary system.
have u ask urself why fishermen,Capenter etc weren't told to tithe?
My dear,tithe has nothing to do with our monetary system now that's a "FACT"
wat do u mean by Christ supporting before the crosss? Christ's teaching is d basis for Christianity isn't it?
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 18, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Thank you ojaare

Which tribe of Israel are you now then?
Mention a name, just mention one the tribes of Israel you have become part of
It is difficult to name one, isn't it?
You know why you can't give a name of the tribe?
It is difficult because you have misquoted and misinterpreted that scripture, all to validate tithing by aligning tithe giving with it

It is like a white person who has naturalised as a Nigerian, trying to claim to be Ibo, Yoruba, Hausa or any ethnic group in Naija.
The adoption doesn't make such person to be a Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa etcetera, same as being now Israel if God doesn't make you or anyone be a Levite or other tribes in Israel

Satan doesn't give a rats arse over singly out the tithe
and so only confirms the lack of spiritual importance of the tithe

What is giving Satan sleepless nights, is the fear of people becoming aware of the revolutionary way of giving, which at all times, is devoid of a fixed percentage or tithe

Nothing personal.
I need to correct a lie.
I wonder why some, don’t want others to see the error when and where they are being misled and demanded to give tithe

It however, is written, that, without prejudice, you give how much you have decided in your heart, you give what you are please with and won't be sorrowful about it at the end of or after the giving

has a low understanding of each tithe mentions in the bible, particularly the tithe Abraham performed
and doesn't appreciate the revolutionary way of giving for the purpose of the Kingdom

I belong to the Christian tribe cos my adoption is in Christ.
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 9:05am On Nov 18, 2017
For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises. And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him. If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron? For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar. For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Judah; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood. And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest, Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Hebrews 7:1‭-‬19 KJV

Many do not even know tithing preceded the law, Tithe is more than a act, its a covenant. You can see that dis single act of Abraham was credited to Levi his great grandson.. It was more than an act of giving..

Jacob tithed too
And, behold, the Lord stood above it, and said, I am the Lord God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed. And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the Lord is in this place; and I knew it not. And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven. And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. And he called the name of that place Beth–el: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first. And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
Genesis 28:13‭-‬22 KJV
Tithing like many of the principles in Christianity has to do with faith. If u don't believe in tithing, do not tithe. In economics(human wisdom), u increase by withholding but in God's wisdom u increase by giving.. First of all, give ur sef to God den giving ur resources for the work of the kingdom wont be difficult. In d early church there was a time dat ppl sold their properties and laid at d feet of the Apostles.. Dey gave 100% not even 10%...

The First American billionaire John Rockefeller was a notorious tither and till date his family is still one of the richest in d world, dey own IITA in ibadan and businesses all over the world. Colgate too owns one of the biggest pharmaceutical in d world and he was giving more than 10% to God. If u believe in it, it will work for you. If you don't believe in it den don't pay... I recommend anyone who sincerely wants to know more to go and read MIDAS TOUCH by Rev Kenneth E Hagin.
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by ichuka(m): 9:08pm On Nov 18, 2017
salvation101:
wat do u mean by Christ supporting before the crosss? Christ's teaching is d basis for Christianity isn't it?
Yes it is.
Remember He came in dispensation of the law.(that's when He came he was also subjected to the law,which He fulfilled with the cross)
The law has been fully fulfilled by Christ.
We are no longer under the law.ARE WE EVEN AT ANYTIME UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES?NOOO!
We aren't Jews.
We don't even have to PAY ANYTHING at first.
We are called to GIVE and not PAY.
People think that God gave the Israelis the LAW to keep/uphold in the Begining .but that notation is very Wrong.He gave them the LAW knowing fully well they we break it and by so doing accept a better offer which is Grace in Christ.
If the Jews had kept the Law there wouldn't be need for the Cross.
By breaking it,they( and us) can now accept and appreciate the works of the Cross.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by plainbibletruth: 9:47pm On Nov 18, 2017
salvation101:

Questions :
1. A tenth of what did Jesus say they were giving: FOOD or money?
2. What are mint, dill, and cumin: money or FOOD ITEMS?
3. Do these agree with the FACT that TITHES WERE AGRICULTURAL produce according to the Law?
4. So WHERE did Jesus say it has now been CHANGED to mandatory monetary payment?

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by petra1(m): 10:42pm On Nov 18, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

That's personal opinion ,not based on any scripture.

Nothing personal

Glad to hear that .

I need to correct a lie.

It's not man that demanded. It's the word.

There is no must in fasting and prayer ether . It's an issue of necessity . You do it you get the benefit . You give to the poor you get the benefit .

There was no written document in the days of Abraham . Probably because he was illiterate but moses was well Schooled and oracle of God was penned down for reference in his days . They are still available for us today .

It however, is written, that, without prejudice, you give how much you have decided in your heart, you give what you are please with and won't be sorrowful about it at the end of or after the giving

You didn't state your reference

Abraham was a prophet . Prophets do have revelations of divine principles . If God birthed the mystery of the tithe through Abraham just as he birthed prayer and worship in the days of Seth . Why would we question such things especially if God didn't reveal anything comtrary . God has ministers and prophets in every generation Abrahan , Enoch had insight into Gods mysteries . I will appreciate you read the BOOK OF ENOCH .
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 18, 2017
ichuka:

Yes it is.
Remember He came in dispensation of the law.(that's when He came he was also subjected to the law,which He fulfilled with the cross)
The law has been fully fulfilled by Christ.
We are no longer under the law.ARE WE EVEN AT ANYTIME UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES?NOOO!
We aren't Jews.
We don't even have to PAY ANYTHING at first.
We are called to GIVE and not PAY.
People think that God gave the Israelis the LAW to keep/uphold in the Begining .but that notation is very Wrong.He gave them the LAW knowing fully well they we break it and by so doing accept a better offer which is Grace in Christ.
If the Jews had kept the Law there wouldn't be need for the Cross.
By breaking it,they( and us) can now accept and appreciate the works of the Cross.

Their are more than 5 covenants in the Bible.. Like 4 in d old testament, don't mistake the law(mosiac covenant) is just one, tithing predates the law..
There is the
Adamic covenant
Noahic covenant
Abrahamic covenant
Mosaic (wch is strictly for the jews)
Davidic covenant

Tithing started from Abraham as recorded in d bible.. Or r u saying Jesus death also canceled Gods covenant with Noah wch he sealed with a rainbow
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 11:37pm On Nov 18, 2017
plainbibletruth:

Questions :
1. A tenth of what did Jesus say they were giving: FOOD or money?
2. What are mint, dill, and cumin: money or FOOD ITEMS?
3. Do these agree with the FACT that TITHES WERE AGRICULTURAL produce according to the Law?
4. So WHERE did Jesus say it has now been CHANGED to mandatory monetary payment?

Following your logic, you must understand that tithes in the historic times were given in form of what you earn for a living.. The Israelites were dependant mainly on agricultural produce ,hence they give their tithes and offerings in such form, not neglecting the fact that some also gave in talents of gold n silver , and shekels according to the produce, property's money worth(like ananaiah and Sapphira) .

Comparing this modern era with the ancient times, people now earn 'monies' for job done or trade.. And they decide to give in monetary form . I've only seen people giving agricultural produce in thanksgiving services 'nd all, it's widely accepted.

The essence of seed, tithing n offering is to make provision in the house of God for charity, maintenance and also for the Priest/pastor to have something to eat(doesnt apply to all priests but God says so)...

1corinthians 9:14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Why I said it doesn't apply to every priest is because some who preach the gospel were already established and not dependent on it , while others have businesses that keeps them thriving and also supporting the ministry from their pockets..

Acts 20:33-34.
33.I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.
[34] Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Ovamboland(m): 6:55am On Nov 19, 2017
[quote ]  the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done

[/quote]

Ask yourself which law is referred to and if a christian is subject to the same law as the Pharisee and scribes
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by MuttleyLaff: 7:47am On Nov 19, 2017
petra1:
That's personal opinion, not based on any scripture
It is not a personal opinion
it is a bible opinion, it is based on ample bible scriptures
You are Israel's teacher, a well-known and respected one for that matter, and knowest not these things?

petra1:
Glad to hear that
Its not as bad as you think
Just a classic case of "don't hate the player, hate the game"

petra1:
It's not man that demanded. It's the word.
Hmm, this I see is about to become very interesting
So, which one of the tithes, did the "word" demand?
Is it the Abraham type of tithe, which you've publicly stated, is the one you believe in and follow the practices of, that is demanded by the word?
Or it is the Levitical, relating to the tribe of Levites, type of tithe, that is demanded by the word?
Please dont ignore this question

petra1:
There is no must in fasting and prayer either.
It's an issue of necessity. You do it you get the benefit.
You give to the poor you get the benefit.
You refuse to accept that tithe is a fixed stipulation
There are better ways to give to the poor and get a guaranteed benefit
You wouldnt know or accept this anyway, because you've seen the memo, you've refused to it

petra1:
There was no written document in the days of Abraham.
Probably because he was illiterate

but Moses was well schooled and oracle of God was penned down for reference in his days.
They are still available for us today
It doesnt matter, because the Apostles were mostly illiterates anyway
but let it be known that you've merely laid yourself open to ridicule
with such unashamedly extreme ignorant view that Abraham probably was illiterate

Arent you aware where Abraham was called out from?
Are you aware that a lot of what Moses knew he learned from Abraham?
Bet you're going to ignore those questions, and head scratchingly ask "state your reference"

petra1:
You didn't state your reference
You must each decide in your heart how much to give.
And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure.
(i.e. you shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give)
"For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."

- 2 Corinthians 9:7

Normally the natural man, would have said, I'll state the reference in your dreams
but that wont help matters, so 2 Corinthians 9:7 above is the reference you sought

petra1:
Abraham was a prophet.
Prophets do have revelations of divine principles.
If God birthed the mystery of the tithe through Abraham just as He birthed prayer and worship in the days of Seth.
Why would we question such things especially if God didn't reveal anything comtrary.
God has ministers and prophets in every generation Abrahan, Enoch had insight into Gods mysteries.
I will appreciate you read the BOOK OF ENOCH .
What an idea. Way to go!
So I should read the BOOK OF ENOCH to see Jesus supported tithing in it

What other books would you appreciate I read?
Would Epimenides’ writings do?
What other pseudepigrapha or apocryphal writings, apart from BOOK OF ENOCH, would you recommend I read?
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by ichuka(m): 8:23am On Nov 19, 2017
salvation101:

Their are more than 5 covenants in the Bible.. Like 4 in d old testament, don't mistake the law(mosiac covenant) is just one, tithing predates the law..
There is the
Adamic covenant
Noahic covenant
Abrahamic covenant
Mosaic (wch is strictly for the jews)
Davidic covenant

Tithing started from Abraham as recorded in d bible.. Or r u saying Jesus death also canceled Gods covenant with Noah wch he sealed with a rainbow
The bible has two major covenant.
The testament and the New Testament
Christ has fulfilled the Old Testament.
Yes tithe was before the law,before Moses instituted it as part of the law.
Wether it predates Adam it has been drafted as part of the law.
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Etuagievin(m): 9:01am On Nov 19, 2017
Jesus in mt 23:23 implied that we should give attention to the most imortant aspect of the law namely; love righteous and faith. If he laid much emphasy on it why is it that his Apostles did not follow in the tithe directlom as its common today. Wilful Donations are in order not this pocket-sapping tithes

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 19, 2017
ichuka:

The bible has two major covenant.
The testament and the New Testament
Christ has fulfilled the Old Testament.
Yes tithe was before the law,before Moses instituted it as part of the law.
Wether it predates Adam it has been drafted as part of the law.
thats not true... God covenant with Abraham extends beyond the nation of Israel. Besides Israel was not the only seed of isaac nd isaac wasnt the only seed of Abraham... The mosaic law is for the nation of Israel alone... Well if u don't believe, u should study ur Bible more.. God covenant with Abraham is an everlasting covenant

And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee. And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God. And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
Genesis 17:6‭-‬9 KJV
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 11:55am On Nov 19, 2017
Etuagievin:
Jesus in mt 23:23 implied that we should give attention to the most imortant aspect of the law namely; love righteous and faith. If he laid much emphasy on it why is it that his Apostles did not follow in the tithe directlom as its common today. Wilful Donations are in order not this pocket-sapping tithes
well here is a place where Jesus specifically mentioned dat tithe should not be neglected.. He emphasized that the weightier matters should come first but didn't in any way say tithing should stopped but instead dey should continue. Jesus also condemned the pharisees dat dey gave alms openly to be seen but did he say alms giving was wrong? Instead he said it should be done in secret.. He rebuked dem for praying openly to be seen by ppl but didn't say praying was wrong but dat it should be done in secret.
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by lonikit: 12:06pm On Nov 19, 2017
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Ovamboland(m): 6:14pm On Nov 19, 2017
salvation101:
For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises. And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him. If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron? For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar. For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Judah; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood. And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest, Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Hebrews 7:1‭-‬19 KJV

Many do not even know tithing preceded the law, Tithe is more than a act, its a covenant. You can see that dis single act of Abraham was credited to Levi his great grandson.. It was more than an act of giving..

Jacob tithed too
And, behold, the Lord stood above it, and said, I am the Lord God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed. And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the Lord is in this place; and I knew it not. And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven. And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. And he called the name of that place Beth–el: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first. And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
Genesis 28:13‭-‬22 KJV
Tithing like many of the principles in Christianity has to do with faith. If u don't believe in tithing, do not tithe. In economics(human wisdom), u increase by withholding but in God's wisdom u increase by giving.. First of all, give ur sef to God den giving ur resources for the work of the kingdom wont be difficult. In d early church there was a time dat ppl sold their properties and laid at d feet of the Apostles.. Dey gave 100% not even 10%...

The First American billionaire John Rockefeller was a notorious tither and till date his family is still one of the richest in d world, dey own IITA in ibadan and businesses all over the world. Colgate too owns one of the biggest pharmaceutical in d world and he was giving more than 10% to God. If u believe in it, it will work for you. If you don't believe in it den don't pay... I recommend anyone who sincerely wants to know more to go and read MIDAS TOUCH by Rev Kenneth E Hagin.

Right there in your quote it says the law has been anulled with the death of Christ, so all churches using Malachi 3:10 or Mathew 23:23 to force tithe compliance are wrong or not sincere.

The Bible records no benefit for Abraham for paying tithes because he ended up not benefiting from the remaining 90%.He gave everything away, if that is your reference, try and copy fully by giving your 90% back to your employer or customer who owned the money initially.

The only giving for Christians is without any percentage imposed, solely determined by yourself as directed by the Holy Spirit if you have any within.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Ioseph(m): 6:18pm On Nov 19, 2017
If you want to see a real example of tithing in good will, look upon the Dervish or the Jain mendicants. They purposely live in poverty and look out for the less fortunate of society. Nigerian pastors are just vile greedy tricksters who are good at deception but rubbish at societal consciousness, who waste their money on absurdly extravagant things they don't need at the expense of hundreds of thousands of people. They are pure scum.

I am not a Christian, but I'd like to think that every time someone defaces a pastor's billboard, an angel trumpets it's horn.

salvation101:

The Churches ARE FOR-PROFIT ORGANISATIONS THOUGH.

Look at the fvcking vile greedy pastors who've spent their church money not on their local communities or the people who come to their church, but on THEMSELVES and on multimillion dollar sportscars, private jets, mansions, brothels and exclusive national resources! "Not-for-Profit" my ass!!! "Servant of Christ" My. ASS!!!

Tax the pastor scum! Tax them into the ground!!!
Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by plainbibletruth: 9:00pm On Nov 19, 2017
Jacksonville:

Following your logic, you must understand that tithes in the historic times were given in form of what you earn for a living.. The Israelites were dependant mainly on agricultural produce ,hence they give their tithes and offerings in such form, not neglecting the fact that some also gave in talents of gold n silver , and shekels according to the produce, property's money worth(like ananaiah and Sapphira) .

Comparing this modern era with the ancient times, people now earn 'monies' for job done or trade.. And they decide to give in monetary form . I've only seen people giving agricultural produce in thanksgiving services 'nd all, it's widely accepted.
1corinthians 9:14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.
Acts 20:33-34.
33.I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.
[34] Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me.

It is not just my logic like you're saying. I'm stating what is CLEARLY in the Bible.

Tithing by Israel was a COMMAND from God.

They didn't give whatever they wanted to give. They HAD TO GIVE what God COMMANDED them to give.

Other trades and professions had ALWAYS EXISTED historically EVEN IN ISRAEL. In spite of that God commanded that TITHES be paid ONLY from AGRICULTURAL PRODUCE.

Anyone who claims that tithing in Israel was other than agricultural produce is simply not speaking from the BIBLE.

The New Testament CLEARLY states how the early church gave and how the Christian is to give. When the Christian therefore seeks to GO BACK to ANY old system to live his spiritual life, such a person is ARROGANTLY declaring that he is rejecting the GRACE OFFER of God under the New Covenant.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Supported Tithing by Nobody: 9:13pm On Nov 19, 2017
plainbibletruth:

It is not just my logic like you're saying. I'm stating what is CLEARLY in the Bible.

Tithing by Israel was a COMMAND from God.

They didn't give whatever they wanted to give. They HAD TO GIVE what God COMMANDED them to give.

Other trades and professions had ALWAYS EXISTED historically EVEN IN ISRAEL. In spite of that God commanded that TITHES be paid ONLY from AGRICULTURAL PRODUCE.

Anyone who claims that tithing in Israel was other than agricultural produce is simply not speaking from the BIBLE.

The New Testament CLEARLY states how the early church gave and how the Christian is to give. When the Christian therefore seeks to GO BACK to ANY old system to live his spiritual life, such a person is ARROGANTLY declaring that he is rejecting the GRACE OFFER of God under the New Covenant.

You're clearly not speaking the mind of God. It's OK.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prayer Points For Rccg February 2010 Fasting And Prayer / Should A Christian Woman Wear Immodest Dress Like Bikini, Mini Skirts, And Short / Women Subconsciously Look For God In Their Husbands Because Lord Made Them So

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.