Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry (3247 Views)

How To Master Human Anatomy & Physiology In A Couple Of Days / Please Which Course Is Better Between Anatomy And Physiology / ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY QUIZ Challenge | Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 3:42pm On Nov 17, 2017
Hi there,
I'm a 300 level student of anatomy, and I'ld like this thread to be a section where we interact on the above courses, questions bothering you can be posted here, for those of us who are much grounded in the field to unravel.

So I will go first by posting information on interesting topics I've come across as well as questions.

Note: Before you post please do well to introduce yourself, and your course/level.
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 4:07pm On Nov 17, 2017
I'll start with the anatomy
THE SHOULDER GIRDLE

The shoulder girdle is constituted by the scapula(shouder blade)and clavicle (collar bone) , it plays a principal function of connecting the upper limb to the axial skeleton through a fragile but important link...
THE sternoclavicular joint.
this joint have a direct connection with the the trunk(it is important to know that the sternoclavicular joint is the only joint in the upper limb that directly articulates with the trunk). The Acromioclavicular joint (the joint between the acromion process and the clavicle) acts as an adhesion between the clavicle and scapula, it is supported by the coracoclavicular joint, which helps to prevent excessive medial and lateral movement in this region.

Due to the fact that the only joint acting as an intercessor between the axial skeleton and upper limb is the sternoclavicular joint, (any other constituent is just muscle), It allows a wide range of movement for the shoulder girdle, unlike what is observable in the pelvic girdle.

1 Like

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by hazan041(m): 5:17pm On Nov 17, 2017
i don join ooo just got admitted to study anatomy today in bayero university
am welcome,?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by Mystic216: 5:24pm On Nov 17, 2017
Am in. Was offered biochemistry.
What are the necessary books I need to purchase for lectures.
Peaceful answer is needed
#Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by DrholuwaTOBI(m): 5:38pm On Nov 17, 2017
hazan041:
i don join ooo
just got admitted to study anatomy today in bayero university

am welcome,?

congrats Bro
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 6:27pm On Nov 17, 2017
hazan041:
i don join ooo
just got admitted to study anatomy today in bayero university

am welcome,?

Congratulations bro, welcome to da club!
I wish you success in your academic pursuit.

2 Likes

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 6:31pm On Nov 17, 2017
Mystic216:
Am in. Was offered biochemistry.
What are the necessary books I need to purchase for lectures.
Peaceful answer is needed
#Thanks

Congratulations bro, You're welcome.
Well for now in 100 level, all your courses will still be basic science courses, however with some modifications.. it will be a little more advanced.

When you register for your courses, the necessary books will be given to you in the various departments.

1 Like

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by Mystic216: 8:39pm On Nov 17, 2017
peacesamuel94:

Congratulations bro, You're welcome.
Well for now in 100 level, all your courses will still be basic science courses, however with some modifications.. it will be a little more advanced.

When you register for your courses, the necessary books will be given to you in the various departments.

Thanks so much, u gave me the accurate answer I require

2 Likes

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 8:42pm On Nov 17, 2017
Mystic216:

Thanks so much, u gave me the accurate answer I require

You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 8:54pm On Nov 17, 2017
CLASSIFICATION OF MUSCLES IN THE SHOULDER GIRDLE.

*Muscles that migrate from the head
Trapezius, Sternocleidomastodeus, Omohyoideus.

Anterior muscles
Subclavius muscles(which acts as a dynamic ligament to the sternoclavicular joint) serratus anterior, The pectoralis major,(the most important arm flexor).

Posterior muscles
Rhombodieus Major, Rhombodieus Minor, Levator Scapulae.
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by hazan041(m): 9:23pm On Nov 17, 2017
peacesamuel94:

I wish success in your academic pursuit.

thank you sir...

Happy to be part of you here
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by hazan041(m): 9:24pm On Nov 17, 2017
DrholuwaTOBI:

congrats Bro
thank u sir

1 Like

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by hazan041(m): 9:25pm On Nov 17, 2017
peacesamuel94:

I wish success in your academic pursuit.

100 will b like how..
Enlighten abit
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 9:26pm On Nov 17, 2017
hazan041:

thank you sir...
Happy to be part of you here

Your welcome, Your presence is graciously appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 9:36pm On Nov 17, 2017
hazan041:

100 will b like how..
Enlighten abit

Your First year in the University will be an initiation into an entirely different world, where you will have a first hand experience of what freedom truly is, where you call the shots!, where the decision and choices you make stands and no one, not your parents except you will be there to guide you.

In class most lecturers will teach you with all sense of "I Dont care", so be wise... you will not be getting advice like you were in secondary school.

There will be a whole lot of Extracurricular activities, like Freshers Welcome, Matriculation afterparty don't get carried away, because exams will always come faster than you imagine,

There're many other things you will experience when you eventually get into school, but I'll leave that for you to discover yourself, above all be close to God, Happy Admission!

5 Likes

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by hazan041(m): 9:45pm On Nov 17, 2017
peacesamuel94:

Your First year in the University will be an initiation into an entirely different world, where you will have a first hand experience of what freedom truly is, where you call the shots!, where the decision and choices you make stands and no one, not your parents except you will be there to guide you.

In class most lecturers will teach you with all sense of "I Dont care", so be wise... you will not be getting advice's like you were in secondary school.

There will be a whole lot of Extracurricular activities, like Freshers Welcome, Matriculation afterparty don't get carried away, because exams will always come faster than you imagine,

There're many other things you will experience when you eventually get into school, but I'll leave that for you to discover yourself, above all be close to God, Happy Admission!

Thank you bro. A lot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 9:50pm On Nov 17, 2017
hazan041:

Thank you bro. A lot

You're welcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 11:44am On Nov 18, 2017
THE SHOULDER JOINT

The Glenohumeral joint, is the meeting point between the glenoid cavity of the scapula and the head of the humerus, as the name suggests.
It is actively stabilized by a band of muscles, that stretch from the humerus to the scapula, they're know as the Rotator cuff muscles. inferior support in this joint is minimal so dislocation is common in this region,

The pectoralis major, which is the most important arm flexor, and the latissimus dorsi, the most important arm extensor, have an antagonistic effect on each others action, when they act simultaneously they cancel each others action leaving a combined medial rotation component.

In other to achieve complete flexion or extension the Supraspinatus and the deltoid must cancel the Adduction component, while the infraspinatus(The supraspinatus Twin,) must cancel the medial rotation component of the pectoralis major.
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 11:53am On Nov 18, 2017
Adduction itself is a function of muscular action, to achieve 10 degrees adduction(ie, to move the arm 10 degrees away from the body) the Supraspinatus plays that role. However to achieve beyond that, the much stronger fibres of the Deltoid takes over, till 90 degrees, but to achieve a full range of 180 degrees, the arm must be medially rotated and the scapula must be made to rotate about itself to direct the glenoid cavity upwards.

Muscles of this joint includes

*The Supraspinatus

*The Infraspinatus

*The deltodieus

*The latissimus dorsi

*The subscapularis

*Teres minor

The anterior muscle

*The coracobrachialis

*The pectoralis major.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
Questions

1.What is the function of the supraspinatus.

2.Which muscle is known as the most important arm flexor

3.Why is dislocation common in the glenohumeral joint

4.where is the sternocleidomastodeus located and under what classification, is it placed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by Nabeeltnabs(m): 8:05pm On Nov 19, 2017
make i pack for here jare bros am sowie to request this from pls reveal to me the best anatomy textbook u may recommend
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 10:52am On Nov 20, 2017
You're welcome bro.

Good textbooks in Anatomy include

*Clinically Oriented anatomy by Keith Moore.

*Gray's anatomy

*Last anatomy

*Frank Netters atlas.(use it alongside any of the above textbooks)

I will personally recommend Keith Moore because of its depth, and if you are studying anatomy as a course.

cc Nabeeltnabs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 11:43am On Nov 20, 2017
Nabeeltnabs:
make i pack for here jare bros am sowie to request this from pls reveal to me the best anatomy textbook u may recommend
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by sweetveek(m): 2:06pm On Nov 20, 2017
peacesamuel94:
You're welcome bro.

*Gray's anatomy

*Last anatomy

I will personally recommend Keith Moore because of its depth, and if you are studying anatomy as a course.

cc Nabeeltnabs
pls can u recommend just 1 textbook(the best) each for physiology and biochemistry? i have already seen list of books for d courses but i need a specific one to buy.. .thanks in advance
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 2:17pm On Nov 20, 2017
sweetveek:
pls can u recommend just 1 textbook(the best) each for physiology and biochemistry? i have already seen list of books for d courses but i need a specific one to buy.. .thanks in advance

I'll recommend Vasudevan for Biochemistry

And Guyton's physiology for physiology,

Still try out other books to know which ones work best for you, the above remains my personal opinion.

1 Like

Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 1:23pm On Jan 23, 2019
If you were admitted to study anatomy this year 2019...dont hesitate to share your joy with us, and for those that are already part of the fold, your experiences so far, you kindly can share.
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jan 23, 2019
peacesamuel94:
You're welcome bro.

*Gray's anatomy

*Last anatomy

cc Nabeeltnabs

Indebir sigh, is another good one, great thread thouh.
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by peacesamuel94(m): 1:42pm On Jan 23, 2019
xavierxxavier2:

Indebir sigh, is another good one, great thread thouh.

Thanks, ....yeah,.indeed, it all boils down to preference.
Re: Anatomy/physiology/biochemistry by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 07, 2019

(1) (2) (Reply)

NIGERIA FIRSTS: Meet Nigeria's Youngest Phd Holder,bagging His Phd In Maths / Mention A Popular Location In Your School And Someone Wil Tell U The Name / Unijos Post Jamb Exam Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.