Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,882 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Why Do Pay-tv Stations Still Place Adverts In Their Channels? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Do Pay-tv Stations Still Place Adverts In Their Channels? (1150 Views)

Homosexuality Movie “I Am Jazz” Banned On Nigerian TV Stations / CONSAT SATELITE IS REBRANDING TO PLAY TV, IN COLABORATION WITH FREE TV / List Of The Tv Stations Available In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Pay-tv Stations Still Place Adverts In Their Channels? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:55pm On Mar 23, 2010
hi peeps!
i noticed something very odd with most paytv providers like dstv, hitv, etc. their advert placements and interruptions of programs seems to be growing by the day. i used to think these companies derive their revenue from monthly subscriptions and hence their subscribers are entitled to uninterupted programming. but the reverse seems to be the case.
if paying subscribers are subjected to the same harrowing adverts as fta viewers, then what is the benefit of a paytv station over those that are 100% advert supported?
anybody has any clue?
Re: Why Do Pay-tv Stations Still Place Adverts In Their Channels? by maskuraid(m): 6:55am On Mar 24, 2010
dis is africa,nothin gets done right!
Re: Why Do Pay-tv Stations Still Place Adverts In Their Channels? by RayMcBlue(m): 5:22am On Aug 27, 2014
GeorgeD1: hi peeps!
i noticed something very odd with most paytv providers like dstv, hitv, etc. their advert placements and interruptions of programs seems to be growing by the day. i used to think these companies derive their revenue from monthly subscriptions and hence their subscribers are entitled to uninterupted programming. but the reverse seems to be the case.
if paying subscribers are subjected to the same harrowing adverts as fta viewers, then what is the benefit of a paytv station over those that are 100% advert supported?
anybody has any clue?

Are you for real?? Do you honestly expect those cable channels to run on your subscriptions alone?? Listen, most of the TV shows you have come to love and yearn for are privately funded by the same companies that interrupts every 10-20 mins of cable programming with their various adverts. Pay cable was invented to sell products (You can look this up on Wikipedia). That's just the way it is. Live with it.

It may offer better viewing experience with minimal censoring but basically at the end of the day, PayTv more or less run on the revenues generated from marketing the products of their cosponsors.

If you want an uninterrupted viewing experience, then go rent a movie or something.

(1) (Reply)

Tyler Perry Is A Nollywood Director / Most Favourite Characters And Memorable Moments In Spartacus So Far. / Anita Joseph, Chika Ike, Kenneth Okolie Others At "The Voice" Film Premiere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.