Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,839 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Working In Sweden - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Working In Sweden (3832 Views)

What Is Like Studying In Sweden As An African. A Nairalander Adventure In Sweden / My Experience Living And Working In Gambia As A Dentist / My Experience Living And Working In The UAE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working In Sweden by TimoBriggs: 10:03am On Nov 18, 2017
I will be going to Sweden next year for official work purposes and I would like to find out from Nigerians living there how they cope with the food. Weather etc what are the things to look out for. Karlskrona would be my base
Re: Working In Sweden by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:58am On Nov 18, 2017
Mr Olaboy1,

I read your comments in the Warri to Finland thread (https://www.nairaland.com/4152325/streets-warri-finland-story) and feel TimoBriggs would GREATLY appreciate your INPUT here.

Thank you in advance.
Re: Working In Sweden by olaboy1: 12:13pm On Nov 18, 2017
Karlskrona is a small place located at the dead end of Sweden, I doubt if there are any African stores to shop from. 95% of your staple foods would be from the Swedish stores (potatoes, rice, pork, pasta, chicken, fish and expensive meat)

To get anything meaningful you need to travel all the way to Malmo and that’s like 3hrs30mins. The biggest disadvantage is the geographic proximity of the place to almost nothing, and the long hrs it will take you to get out of the village if social life is your thing.

You shouldn’t expect any fantastic nightlife as you have one nightclub for matured folks and almost no pubs. The beauty of the place is there are many start-up companies and I think over 40 mushroom telcos and incubators.

As for weather you should get a fleece winter jacket, some thermal underwear and original winter shoe laced with fleece material inside preferably Gore-Tex.

Make sure the company has arranged an apartment for you because all over Sweden we have a long wait queue for apartment of around 5yrs in the villages and 10-15yrs in the big cities due to the influx of asylum seekers.

Please check all your employment papers and be sure your company has fulfilled all the immigration requirements. Two important things to avoid deportation if you are on a temp work permit are take out a compulsory 90% vacation days yearly and make sure your company has fixed insurance properly. Please read more on the link below.

https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=88810&st=615
Re: Working In Sweden by TimoBriggs: 3:31pm On Nov 18, 2017
olaboy1:
Karlskrona is a small place located at the dead end of Sweden, I doubt if there are any African stores to shop from. 95% of your staple foods would be from the Swedish stores (potatoes, rice, pork, pasta, chicken, fish and expensive meat)

To get anything meaningful you need to travel all the way to Malmo and that’s like 3hrs30mins. The biggest disadvantage is the geographic proximity of the place to almost nothing, and the long hrs it will take you to get out of the village if social life is your thing.

You shouldn’t expect any fantastic nightlife as you have one nightclub for matured folks and almost no pubs. The beauty of the place is there are many start-up companies and I think over 40 mushroom telcos and incubators.

As for weather you should get a fleece winter jacket, some thermal underwear and original winter shoe laced with fleece material inside preferably Gore-Tex.

Make sure the company has arranged an apartment for you because all over Sweden we have a long wait queue for apartment of around 5yrs in the villages and 10-15yrs in the big cities due to the influx of asylum seekers.

Please check all your employment papers and be sure your company has fulfilled all the immigration requirements. Two important things to avoid deportation if you are on a temp work permit are take out a compulsory 90% vacation days yearly and make sure your company has fixed insurance properly. Please read more on the link below.

https://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=88810&st=615

Thanks Olaboy1 not so much inspiring I would say especially as you have painted a boring village life scenario. Any workaround with the social life?
Re: Working In Sweden by olaboy1: 5:59pm On Nov 18, 2017
If the pay is good you could go and enjoy your life in Malmo/Copenhagen on the weekends and return back to work on Monday morning, otherwise I don’t see any other workaround.
Re: Working In Sweden by Spylord48: 8:08pm On Nov 18, 2017
How did you get the work please and how far have U gone with language stuff
Re: Working In Sweden by TimoBriggs: 11:31am On Nov 19, 2017
olaboy1:
If the pay is good you could go and enjoy your life in Malmo/Copenhagen on the weekends and return back to work on Monday morning, otherwise I don’t see any other workaround.

Well the pay is about 20ksek after tax. Was already on 600k net here in Naija. Do u reckon I would be able to maintain my lifestyle and a size able portion for savings (no 1 priority ).
Re: Working In Sweden by olaboy1: 8:49pm On Nov 19, 2017
TimoBriggs:

Well the pay is about 20ksek after tax. Was already on 600k net here in Naija. Do u reckon I would be able to maintain my lifestyle and a size able portion for savings (no 1 priority ).

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Karlskrona-Sweden

After rent you have like 15,000kr left. You should be able to live a good life on that salary as a single guy and put out some savings.
Re: Working In Sweden by Bandeco(m): 12:27am On Nov 20, 2017
TimoBriggs:

Da fk. Already on 600k net per month in Nigeria? What you looking for in Sweden or anywhere else? Sek 20, 000 is an average salary. After rent, car loan, utility bills, feeding etc you almost left with nothing. I live in Jönköping tho
Re: Working In Sweden by TimoBriggs: 8:07am On Nov 20, 2017
Bandeco:

Da fk. Already on 600k net per month in Nigeria? What you looking for in Sweden or anywhere else? Sek 20, 000 is an average salary. After rent, car loan, utility bills, feeding etc you almost left with nothing. I live in Jönköping tho

So you reckon I should chill? I was just wondering if I could get international work experience so I can come back and earn more��

(1) (Reply)

Indefinte Ban From Germany / Canada Visa / Photos Of Norwegian Prison Where Inmates Live Like Kings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.