Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,813 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) (8555 Views)

Edo2020: Online Poll Gone Wrong (photo) / President Buhari's Cows In 2015 Vs 2017 (Pictures) / Jonathan's Visit To Kano, 2015 Vs 2017 - PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Danladi7: 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2017
Pierohandsome:
Go and check the useless politics been played to undermine the existence of those sea ports u mentioned. No importer make use of those ports, they wil stil have to come to lagos to clear their goods because Lagos is the only sea port that goods can be cleared. Try using Port Harcourt sea port for ur goods and see what wil happen, u wil run at a loss if u are eventually cleared. That is the evil politics played by the Northerners in collaboration with the westerners led by Obj and Tinubu
If what you said is true,then you shouldn't be bothered because lagos is a no mans land!

you guys Will just say poo to carry out your blame shifting game.You've forgotten OBj and tinubu are enemies!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by dammiecool(m): 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2017
Pierohandsome:
Go and check the useless politics been played to undermine the existence of those sea ports u mentioned. No importer make use of those ports, they wil stil have to come to lagos to clear their goods because Lagos is the only sea port that goods can be cleared. Try using Port Harcourt sea port for ur goods and see what wil happen, u wil run at a loss if u are eventually cleared. That is the evil politics played by the Northerners in collaboration with the westerners led by Obj and Tinubu
Oga don't say what u don't know, I work with WACT in onne n people r doing thier business every day n same goes to mearsk, cma e.t.c so don't come online n say what u don't knw. U can even visit onne port n see things 4 ur self. Me wey I dey even complain say work too much sad

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by erico2k2(m): 6:44pm On Nov 18, 2017
Pierohandsome:
stop sounding funny, if the Port Harcourt port is as accessible as Lagos, nobody wil have to clear goods in Lagos before moving them dwn to Ph.
Stop speaking of what you know nothing about . Why don't you do a live check of howmany vessels are there at the moment and make an informed contribution .

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by udemzyudex(m): 6:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
dadavivo:
That's what you get when you don't open sea ports in other regions just like China did. All Chinese state facing the sea has a sea port. But the wickedness in this part of the world no want development in other regions.

So make we all squeeze ourselves in the only one we've got

This is exactly what I was telling a friend, this government don't want her citizens to prosper, selfish people at the helm of affairs.
Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by erico2k2(m): 6:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
dammiecool:

Oga don't say what u don't know, I work with WACT in onne n people r doing thier business every day n same goes to mearsk, cma e.t.c so don't come online n say what u don't knw. U can even visit onne port n see things 4 ur self. Me wey I dey even complain say work too much sad
Don't mind these lazy set of posters simple research they can't do
That's how one of them was arguing that Lufthansa can't land in PHC airport .

6 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by udemzyudex(m): 6:50pm On Nov 18, 2017
laudate:

Does Port-harcourt not have a seaport? What about Calabar? What about Onne? Even Onitsha is being given a river port as we speak. Warri and Sapele also have river ports. So what grammar are you talking here?

There is something you don't understand and I'm going to explain it to you.

A business man import his goods through a seaport in the east, it took him over 3months to clear his goods while he has cleared and even ordered for another one through Lagos seaport.

Now tell me, will you want to import through the one that takes you over 3months to one clear your goods?

You should ask yourself if those seaport you mentioned are working and why are they not working?
Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 6:52pm On Nov 18, 2017
dammiecool:

God bless you for telling the truth! cheesy Some people just sit behind their keyboard to dish out propaganda and fake stories.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 6:55pm On Nov 18, 2017
udemzyudex:
There is something you don't understand and I'm going to explain it to you.

A business man import his goods through a seaport in the east, it took him over 3months to clear his goods while he has cleared and even ordered for another one through Lagos seaport.

Now tell me, will you want to import through the one that takes you over 3months to one clear your goods?

You should ask yourself if those seaport you mentioned are working and why are they not working?

Oga, the sea ports in the SS like Onne port and Port-harcourt sea ports, are working. Someone else just confirmed that of Onne. When an importer's goods are delayed at a port, it could be due to several factors. Shipping is a delicate process that thrives on proper documentation. I have seen people whose goods were also delayed in Lagos ports before, for months. So what is your point?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 6:57pm On Nov 18, 2017
erico2k2:
Guy, where you dey since? Shey you can see all the fake propaganda they have been churning out about Port-harcourt sea port and Onne port? wink

4 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Amberon11: 7:03pm On Nov 18, 2017
laudate:

Oga people have been using Port-harcourt and Onne ports to clear their goods without issues! Don't say what you don't know.

Abeg, erico2k2 please come and school your misguided brothers here, biko!
Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Amberon11: 7:03pm On Nov 18, 2017
I beg you, say what you know too. My sister has worked with 3 shipping companies, 2 in PH and one in Lag and from what she and her colleagues have seen, it is all embargo. That few people you know have imported through PH doesn't negate the fact that most countries don't even have PH on their list of destinations. And PH seaports are too shallow for large vessels to berth there.

laudate:

Oga people have been using Port-harcourt and Onne ports to clear their goods without issues! Don't say what you don't know.

Abeg, erico2k2 please come and school your misguided brothers here, biko!

1 Like

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 7:07pm On Nov 18, 2017
Amberon11:
I beg you, say what you know too. My sister has worked with 3 shipping companies, 2 in PH and one in Lag and from what she and her colleagues have seen, it is all embargo. That few people you know have imported through PH doesn't negate the fact that most countries don't even have PH on their list of destinations. And PH seaports are too shallow for large vessels to berth there.
Embargo of what? If PH ports cannot take large vessels, what of Onne? And if shipping companies do not have PH ports on their list, whose fault is it? undecided If more importers clamour to use PH ports, then more shipping companies and countries, would have the ports on their list. Your brothers are just in love with Lagos, and too lazy to look at the possibilities of clearing their goods through other ports. Finish!

7 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 18, 2017
CaptainJeffry:
Oyibo left too soon, that's just the reason. undecided

seriously why? Nigerians and inferiority complex ehn. so we're supposed to let them do most of the development then we'll just sit and do nothing. then when they're done we'll chase them out and you expect that same development to remain that way when we've got white asś lickers like you whose development and sufficiency mainly depends on them undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 7:20pm On Nov 18, 2017
lipsrsealed
[
Export, import activities at Onne command, rises, says Customs / NWAFOR POLYCARP / 19 JUN 2017
ONNE —Facts have emerged that the revenue profile of the Nigeria Customs Service, Onne command is presently experiencing tremendous increase through import and export duties on goods.

President Importers Association of Nigeria (IMAN), Dr. Ralph John dropped this hint yesterday in Abuja during an interaction with a cross section of the media where he stated that as a result of the strict compliance to the guideline on import and export documentation of goods, Onne port, has witnessed a brilliant increase in import and export of goods.

According to him contrary to the claim by some port users that timber products were being moved Overseas through Onne port without proper documentation, John explained that timber is now one of the major export goods that has been raising the revenue of the Nigeria Customs Service Onne port.

“Documents for timber export are now passing through strict Scrutiny as exporters of such goods were strictly complying to guidelines by obtaining temporary certificate of Inspection (TCI) and other necessary documents through the various government Agencies concerned with export goods including Ministry of Environment before such goods can be allowed for export”, he said.

He further explained that the crop of custom officers heading various units and departments were revenue officers who believe on total compliance to the import and export guideline of the Government in line with the transformation Agenda of the present Custom leadership.

John disclosed that exporters are now made to obtain clean certificate of Inspection (CCI) from Neroli Technologies Limited, a private Inspection Agency contracted by the Federal Government to issue certificate, before timber products are being exported to overseas which was not the case before.

On imported items John who is also President Maritime Energy Media Practitioners of Nigeria (MEMPON) disclosed that imported items were now witnessing thorogh examination at the port before being allows to be cleared by the importers and customs Agents.

The Area Controller of the port Comptroller Abubakar Bashiru had earlier told the heads of Customs formations and units of Federal Ocean Terminal Gate that goods passing through Onne port should be strictly scrutinized by officers to block every revenue leakages, he stated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/06/export-import-activities-onne-command-rises-says-customs/amp/

4 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 7:20pm On Nov 18, 2017
Customs mulls plan for 24 hours Cargo Clearance at Onne NWAFOR POLYCARP / 21 JUN 2017 / By Godwin Oritse

In a bid to enhance and facilitate cargo clearance at the Onne port, the Port Harcourt Area 11 command of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, in Onne, Rivers state, has commenced moves to operate on a 24 hour basis.

Disclosing this to newsmen in Port Harcourt, the command’s Area Controller, Abubakar Bashir said, that 24 hours cargo clearance is feasible at Onne seaport, adding that prompt clearance of cargo at the seaport is needed to beef up revenue generation for the Federal Government of Nigeria.

Bashir explained that on assumption of office, the command’s management collectively assessed and appraised documentation and clearance procedures of cargo clearance at the port and some challenges were identified.

He said: “The identified challenges prompted me to embark on a holistic and integrated maritime, oil and gas stakeholders forum aimed at facilitating trade and providing lasting solution with a view to achieving 24 hours cargo clearance at Onne seaport in line with the directives of the Comptroller General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd).

“Customs as a critical stakeholder in accordance with our statutory responsibilities is duty bound to ease and fast-track cargo documentation and cargo clearance at the port.”

He urged all stakeholders to be patient and transparency in declarations and classifications during cargo clearance at the port.

“We all have to show patriotism and forthrightness in our various documentation and cargo clearance procedure in line with international standard and best practices” https://www.google.com/amp/s/

3 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by dammiecool(m): 7:22pm On Nov 18, 2017
Amberon11:

U guyz should keep shifting goal post, before now u people said they r not using d port, now it's too shallow, next is its not on destination list shocked I ll advice u to come down to onne I promise to take u round n see vessels bringing in thousands of containers cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by 9ja2: 7:23pm On Nov 18, 2017
Can you also show us a picture of Abuja in 1960 and today. Also why did you not post this picture instead?

1 Like

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Amberon11: 7:23pm On Nov 18, 2017
You're just very foolish. So how are they lazy?
For pointing out obvious facts? Why not make the argument about Qatar airways and Turkish airways? Why don't they land in PHC? Why just Lagos? That is to tell you that OMAGWA does not fully have the international status befitting of an international airport.
In the same vein the seaports in PHC do not fully meet the criteria needed for an international seaport. They are shallow and hence large vessels cannot berth there. These are all properly planned to make by the government to make sure everything comes in through Lagos.

If you know nothing about shipping ask a freight forwarder who works/worked in PH so you don't go displacing your arrogant ignorance.
erico2k2:

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 7:23pm On Nov 18, 2017
dammiecool:

U guyz should keep shifting goal post, before now u people said they r not using d port, now it's too shallow, next is its not on destination list shocked I ll advice u to come down to onne I promise to take u round n see vessels bringing in thousands of containers cool
Hehehe.... I no know say you sef see am! cheesy Most of those making these assertions, are not even importers. They are just recycling gossip and hearsay. They don't know the reality of what is on ground.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by dammiecool(m): 7:26pm On Nov 18, 2017
laudate:

Hehehe.... I no know say you sef see am! cheesy Most of those making these assertions, are not even importers. They are just recycling gossip and hearsay. They don't know the reality of what is on ground.
I really find the whole thing annoying. They've not even fully utilised the onne port sef.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Pierohandsome: 7:27pm On Nov 18, 2017
dammiecool:

u only work in Onne port, the goods u are clearing who owns them, why r u guys argueing what every business man knws. Do u knw the politics behind clearance in those ports, which business man wil be traveling to Lagos to move in goods frm there if Onne port is that accessible? Do u knw the reason things are quite expensive in Ph than Lagos, it is the cost of shipping and clearance to Ph thru Lagos that is the cause. The electronic gadget u buy in Ph for 40k is not more than 25k in Lagos, same for every other thing. Why are people travelling to Lagos to buy goods whn same same thing can be imported thru onne? Evn those in Aba clear their goods thru Apapa warf, why didnt they use their costal ways? What are u debating. These are open secrets not knwn to everybody

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 7:28pm On Nov 18, 2017
Amberon11:
You're just very foolish. So how are they lazy?
For pointing out obvious facts? Why not make the argument about Qatar airways and Turkish airways? Why don't they land in PHC? Why just Lagos? That is to tell you that OMAGWA does not fully have the international status befitting of an international airport.
In the same vein the seaports in PHC do not fully meet the criteria needed for an international seaport. They are shallow and hence large vessels cannot berth there. These are all properly planned to make by the government to make sure everything comes in through Lagos.

If you know nothing about shipping ask a freight forwarder who works/worked in PH so you don't go displacing your arrogant ignorance.
All airlines cannot land in every airport. sad Not even in America. There is something called BASA Bilateral Air Services Agreement.

Secondly, Igbo sons and daughters have been Ministers of Transport and Aviation. Why didn't they fix the issues with Port- Harcourt airport?

Thirdly, if Port-harcourt seaport is shallow, why not use Onne port?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Amberon11: 7:30pm On Nov 18, 2017
What do you mean by "you people"? Address my post and not make false hasty generalizations. I never said the port wasn't in use as that would be an outright lie. The fact of the matter (which you can deny but who cares cuz facts dont lie) is that PH seaport is not deep enough hence lacking the ability to function to full capacity.
dammiecool:

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by dammiecool(m): 7:37pm On Nov 18, 2017
Pierohandsome:
u only work in Onne port, the goods u are clearing who owns them, why r u guys argueing what every business man knws. Do u knw the politics behind clearance in those ports, which business man wil be traveling to Lagos to move in goods frm there if Onne port is that accessible? Do u knw the reason things are quite expensive in Ph than Lagos, it is the cost of shipping and clearance to Ph thru Lagos that is the cause. The electronic gadget u buy in Ph for 40k is not more than 25k in Lagos, same for every other thing. Why are people travelling to Lagos to buy goods whn same same thing can be imported thru onne? Evn those in Aba clear their goods thru Apapa warf, why didnt they use their costal ways? What are u debating. These are open secrets not knwn to everybody
I don't kn d politics behind d clearing u can please enlighten me n about d cost of things in PH they simply believe every1 is working with an oil company n mind u d price issue is not limited to imported items alone local products follow cost cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Amberon11: 7:44pm On Nov 18, 2017
All airlines cannot land in every airport? Is that an excuse? That is a generic statement which holds no water. Its like saying Tuesday is a day of the week when everyone knows Tuesday is a day of the week. You must think everyone is as dumb as you. How can major airlines land in PH if it is not upgraded?

Dude , even Onne port is too shallow for large vessels to berth and most countries do not have it as one of their destinations obviously because it also hasn't been upgraded to that status. There are several other embargoes too (however not in writing). Pls ask anyone who is particularly a freight forwarder.

I'm guessing you stated the bolded because you thought I was Igbo, right? Lol
laudate:

All airlines cannot land in every airport. sad Not even in America. There is something called BASA Bilateral Air Services Agreement.

Secondly, Igbo sons and daughters have been Ministers of Transport and Aviation. Why didn't they fix the issues with Port- Harcourt airport?

Thirdly, if Port-harcourt seaport is shallow, why not use Onne port?
Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Pierohandsome: 7:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
dammiecool:

I don't kn d politics behind d clearing u can please enlighten me n about d cost of things in PH they simply believe every1 is working with an oil company n mind u d price issue is not limited to imported items alone local products follow cost cheesy
bro those people u see clearing goods consistently thru Onne port have been granted import waivers maybe as political compensation, or Frndship connection to the powers that be. No neutral importer can use onne port and not run at a loss, the clearance tarrif is almst double compare to that of Lagos and these are hatched plan and politics by the federal majority to undermine the region. Most ppl dnt knw this, bt that is the hidden truth u are getting to knw now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Amberon11: 7:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
This is very true. The funny thing is they assume everyone who points out this obvious fact is Igbo...
Mtcheeew.
Pierohandsome:

1 Like

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by byemx06(m): 7:52pm On Nov 18, 2017
Pierohandsome:

I love u write up it make some sence but where I have problem with yu y must you mention northern and wastern ,
goodluck,ikweremadu,david mark they never brought any idea to averse all this ........ dos polithef dnt ve any iota of feeling for us
bro hustle hard oooo
God bless??

3 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 7:53pm On Nov 18, 2017
Amberon11:
All airlines cannot land in every airport? Is that an excuse? That is a generic statement which holds no water. Its like saying Tuesday is a day of the week when everyone knows Tuesday is a day of the week. You must think everyone is as dumb as you. How can major airlines land in PH if it is not upgraded?

Dude , even Onne port is too shallow for large vessels to berth and most countries do not have it as one of their destinations obviously because it also hasn't been upgraded to that status. There are several other embargoes too (however not in writing). Pls ask anyone who is particularly a freight forwarder.

I'm guessing you stated the bolded because you thought I was Igbo, right? Lol

Yes, all airlines cannot land in every airport within a country. sad Under BASA rules, there are slots which airlines use. It explains why in America, certain flights terminate at JFK Airport from Lagos, while a few other airlines still go further to land at Denver International Airport.

These BASA agreements provide the framework under which identified airlines from any two countries, fly into designated airports in each other’s country.

It usually covers issues regarding traffic rights, use of intermediate routes, frequencies, slots, type of aircraft, safety standards, competition, etc in order for both countries to benefit from the agreement, fares and tax issues.

Ask yourself if Delta Airlines, Lufthansa, and other international airlines that fly into the US, also land in every international airport within the US.

Have you been to different African countries? Are you aware that the major international airports in some of these countries, are not even up to the standard of Port-harcourt airport, yet international airlines still fly there daily?

Finally, Onne sea port is definitely not shallow. What is the draft?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 7:55pm On Nov 18, 2017
Amberon11:
This is very true. The funny thing is they assume everyone who points out this obvious fact is Igbo...
Mtcheeew.
The same way the Igbo people assume that everyone who disagrees with them is an Afonja. Apologies if you are not Igbo, but most times they are the ones that bring up these issues, by claiming there are no sea ports in the SS and SE.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by laudate: 7:57pm On Nov 18, 2017
Pierohandsome:
bro those people u see clearing goods consistently thru Onne port have been granted import waivers maybe as political compensation, or Frndship connection to the powers that be. No neutral importer can use onne port and not run at a loss, the clearance tarrif is almst double compare to that of Lagos and these are hatched plan and politics by the federal majority to undermine the region. Most ppl dnt knw this, bt that is the hidden truth u are getting to knw now.
And what have your people done to ask govt to bring down the rates??

3 Likes

Re: Lagos: 1960 Vs 2017. Where Did We Get It Wrong? (Photo) by Pierohandsome: 8:04pm On Nov 18, 2017
laudate:

And what have your people done to ask govt to bring down the rates??
that is not the point of the arguement, the argument is that those ports aren't accessible to an average importer because of the political coup staged against those region. Yes , the leaders of those regions are complicite in this crime, bt that doesnt nullify the fact that there is politics to underdevelope those regions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LNSA, DSS Set To Partner For Improved Security, Safety In Lagos / Court Fixes March 23 To Hear FG’s Request To Extradite Abba Kyari / Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.