Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread - Education (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread (322215 Views)

Olabisi Onabanjo University(oou) 2018/2019 Admission / Federal University Oye-ekiti (FUOYE) 2018/2019 Admission Thread / 2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (191) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Pes13: 2:07am On Apr 01, 2018
Eben331:
Pes13, pls how did u manage ur time to finish the 100 questions? How did u finish the questions asked on that the comprehension passage which is an epistle? What are the order of the subjects u first do? Thanks in anticipation as u answer these questions.

English is very simple. In fact, the most easy subject after biology.

You should not spend more than 13-15minutes on English.

The mistake is that must aspirant are always going with the mentality of reading comprehension as if they are meditating on the book of Romans in the Bible.

You need to train yourself prior to Putme, you must learn to read through a passage no matter how voluminous it is, giving yourself maximum time of 2 minutes, and at the same time sucking out milk, honey and tangible points out of the passage.

Believe me, it is not that simple and easy, it will be impossible at first, that is why you have all the time now to train yourself ahead.

Get jamb series, there are loads of comprehension passage there. Give yourself stringent and honest rule, don't bend and be consistent. Keep doing that and you will discover your cerebrum already create a new neuron pathway in your white matter to accommodate that process.

No matter how difficult a task is, consistency compel your brain to create a new link to accommodate that process so that you can perform it with ease. That is how the brain learn skills like driving, typing with Mavis beacon, etc.

4 Likes

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by DrBESTJC(m): 6:16am On Apr 01, 2018
Samsonyte:
English

1. She was sacked for no offence
than, failing to comply _____ the
company's regulation

A for
B by
C to
D with

2. Bisola should not have taken
offence at Emeka's ______
comments.

A innocuous
B ludicrous
C ridiculous
D notorious

Samsonyte:

No 1 question is correct, but pls can you explain why u choose option A.

There are two reasons for which I chose option A as the answer to question number 2.
FIRST:Let us look at the definition of the words involved...
(A) Innocuous = HARMLESS,not intended to offend or upset anyone.
(B) Ludicrous = UNREASONABLE,ABSURD,RIDICULOUS,that you cannot take seriously.
(C) Ridiculous = ABSURD,LUDICROUS,very silly or UNREASONABLE(synonym of Ludicrous).
(D) Notorious = well known for being bad.

When you take a cursory look at these words and their meanings,you will notice that option (A) depicts a positive action while others depicts a negative action.A word is positive if it brings a sense of morality,fairness or fortune, while, A word is negative if it is obscene or immoral or if it shows misfortune.
Therefore,using The Elimination-by-status method of determining the answer to a question like this, I deduced that OPTION A is the answer.

SECOND : The question is saying that Bisola should not have taken offence at Emeka's words(which supposedly is not worth taking offence at).
Now let us look at it this way....
(A) If Emeka's words were INNOCUOUS,which means 'harmless', then, there is no way you can tell me that Bisola will take offence at harmless words.
(B) If Emeka's words were LUDICROUS which means 'unreasonable',then Bisola should be justified for taking offence at Emeka's unreasonable words.
(C) If Emeka's words were RIDICULOUS, which means 'very silly',then Bisola should be justified for taking offence at Emeka's silly words.
(D) If Emeka's words were NOTORIOUS which means 'always bad', then Bisola is justified to take offence at Emeka's bad words.

Summarily,
Bisola should not have taken offence at Emeka's harmless(Innocuous) comments.

1 Like

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Samsonyte(m): 9:03am On Apr 01, 2018
DrBESTJC:

There are two reasons for which I chose option A as the answer to question number 2.
(C) Ridiculous = ABSURD,LUDICROUS,very silly or UNREASONABLE(synonym of Ludicrous).

When you take a cursory look at these words and their meanings,you will notice that option (A) depicts a positive action while others depicts a negative action.A word is positive if it brings a sense of morality,fairness or fortune, while, A word is negative if it is obscene or immoral or if it shows misfortune.
Therefore,using The Elimination-by-status method of determining the answer to a question like this, I deduced that OPTION A is the answer.

SECOND : The question is saying that Bisola should not have taken offence at Emeka's words(which supposedly is not worth taking offence at).
Now let us look at it this way....
(A) If Emeka's words were INNOCUOUS,which means 'harmless', then, there is no way you can tell me that Bisola will take offence at harmless words.
(B) If Emeka's words were LUDICROUS which means 'unreasonable',then Bisola should be justified for taking offence at Emeka's unreasonable words.
(C) If Emeka's words were RIDICULOUS, which means 'very silly',then Bisola should be justified for taking offence at Emeka's silly words.
(D) If Emeka's words were NOTORIOUS which means 'always bad', then Bisola is justified to take offence at Emeka's bad words.

Summarily,
Bisola should not have taken offence at Emeka's harmless(Innocuous) comments.
Thank you very much sir, i grab.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 9:46am On Apr 01, 2018
Pes13:
I have done University of Ibadan post utme 3 times aspiring for mbbs, and I can tell you some facts about it.

My scores back then were 76%, 70%, 80% in 2014, 2015 and 2017 respectively.

There are some facts you need to know about University of Ibadan Putme.

1. If could have the brain to score 200 in utme, you could score 80%+ in putme. I personally saw this in 2014 and it wasn't to my favour. I scored 248 and 76% in utme and Putme respectively, but I saw someone with 201 in utme surprisingly scored 82%. Unfortunately, many candidates aspiring for mbbs with low utme score pull a strong come back in putme. Please don't let your 300+ utme score make you complacence. I have a friend, who back then scored 282, but his mark was wasted because he scored 66% in Putme. Back then 300 wasn't flying around under DIBU.

2. University of Ibadan Putme is very simple but time consuming . During our time, we met something like calculate bla bla bla, angle of projection = 27°c. You will come across calculations were the best student will spend 6 minutes on a physics question. I will give you an example later. I still have it with me. You need to start training yourself on speed. I was a victim of speed in 2015. You could see it from my score.

3. University of Ibadan Putme is very simple but highly technical, you need to be smart. You will meet questions like
The death of Goliath was actually from
A. David
B. Stone
C. God
D. Negligence of Goliath.

You need to be smart, you will meet a lot of this especially in biology.

4. Good news to mbbs aspirants, University of Ibadan Putme repeat a lot of past questions .
I can't tell for other subject but I noticed biology was majorly jamb past questions repeated word for word, chemistry is was a mixture of utme and Putme past question, English as a good quantity of past questions but physics was a hell, several complicated calculation with decimals without calculator , be careful and prepare well.

5. University of Ibadan lecturers cannot do without setting questions from certain textbooks I can't tell you this enough, get Lamlad for physics in addition to either( P. N OKEKE or New school physics). Get Lamlad for Chemistry with ababio. Get Invisible teacher of jamb Use of English by dele ashade. Get all jamb series. If you can do this, you are home and dry. Read your best biology textbook. In 2017, UI lifted a question word for word from college physics

You can score 25/25 in biology or 15/25

If you are too eager because the questions are too simple, you may fall on the stumbling block UI lay down to checkmate I TOO KNOW. Instead of scoring 90%, you might score 75%. I should have scored 86% in 2014, but I TOO KNOW killed me so I missed simple questions.

Lastly don't ignore group study online. I learnt a lot back then, and there were questions I couldn't have solve normally during Putme but someone would have posted same question word for word during online group study, I just pick answers without wasting time.

Please, if there is anyone who could take the pain and compile past questions from previous UI admission thread from 2012, please do and share to others. I did it back the and I met several repeated questions.

In fact, in 2017, out of the 100 questions in putme, I have met and solve not fewer than 60 questions but I couldn't remember were I met some of this questions.

Goodluck to Everyone. If I haven't answer your question, please let me know. Thank you.
Boss!! Thanks for this eye opener. More power to your elbow
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 10:47am On Apr 01, 2018
Pes13:

The mistake is that must aspirant are always going with the mentality of reading comprehension as if they are meditating on the book of Romans in the Bible.

You need to train yourself prior to Putme, you must learn to read through a passage no matter how voluminous it is, giving yourself maximum time of 2 minutes, and at the same time sucking out milk, honey and tangible points out of the passage.

Believe me, it is not that simple and easy, it will be impossible at first, that is why you have all the time now to train yourself ahead.

Get jamb series, there are loads of comprehension passage there. Give yourself stringent and honest rule, don't bend and be consistent. Keep doing that and you will discover your cerebrum already create a new neuron pathway in your white matter to accommodate that process.

No matter how difficult a task is, consistency compel your brain to create a new link to accommodate that process so that you can perform it with ease. That is how the brain learn skills like driving, typing with Mavis beacon, etc.

Thanks for this. If my memory serves me right, I think you once mentioned that you know the topics where UI set their post utme questions. Does this mean that UI concentrate their questions on some topics than others? If it is so, then can you kindly share those topics with us?
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Pes13: 11:54am On Apr 01, 2018
Hardebaryor:
Thanks for this. If my memory serves me right, I think you once mentioned that you know the topics where UI set their post utme questions. Does this mean that UI concentrate their questions on some topics than others? If it is so, then can you kindly share those topics with us?
Probably, I didn't communicate it appropriately or you misunderstood me.

As far as I know, questions can come out of every and any angle.

However, you need to read smart; that is, you need to study how UI structure there Putme questions, and you won't waste time to read frevolent details especially in English and biology .

Example, you would be wasting your time if you prepare for UI Putme with the same dept you would used if you were to prepare for OAU Putme.

You might not even open a dictionary while preparing for UI's Use of English, but you dare not try that with OAU's

The bottom line is that you should learn to work smart and not work hard.

Learn me take it too football, take for example if Chelsea is to play derby County, they can attack and keep running towards opponent like headless chicken, but with Barcelona, they have to change tactics, and sit quietly in defence and only counter attack if need be.

2 Likes

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 12:00pm On Apr 01, 2018
Pes13:

However, you need to read smart; that is, you need to study how UI structure there Putme questions, and you won't waste time to read frevolent details especially in English and biology .

Example, you would be wasting your time if you prepare for UI Putme with the same dept you would used if you were to prepare for OAU Putme.

You might not even open a dictionary while preparing for UI's Use of English, but you dare not try that with OAU's

Learn me take it too football, take for example if Chelsea is to play derby County, they can attack and keep running towards opponent like headless chicken, but with Barcelona, they have to change tactics, and sit quietly in defence and only counter attack if need be.
Hmm...wise words. Thanks for your reply
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Greatomotoy: 12:36pm On Apr 01, 2018
Pes13:

I am sorry, I can't say which textbook is best or recommend any, because I only read those subject to scale through olevel.
does UI allow students to live off campus? is it compulsory for students to live on campus?
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Pes13: 1:18pm On Apr 01, 2018
Greatomotoy:

does UI allow students to live off campus? is it compulsory for students to live on campus?

UI doesn't have the capacity to accommodate all students. In addition, accommodations is optional.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Greatomotoy: 2:58pm On Apr 01, 2018
Pes13:

UI doesn't have the capacity to accommodate all students. In addition, accommodations is optional.
thanks
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Nobody: 4:32pm On Apr 01, 2018
Pes13:

Please sir.. How can we Prepare for English dictionary meaning area..... Should we cram all the words and meaning with dictionary.....

I seriously have problems with dictionary words
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Samsonyte(m): 4:34pm On Apr 01, 2018
Aybalance:
1. x=4,y=-1 2. a=-1, b=5 3. n=1/2 4. 128.86 degrees
correct bro but no2 is incorrect

Solution to no2

2√3 - 1 / 1 + 3√3 x 1 - 3√3 / 1 - 3√3

2√3 - 6√9 - 1 + 3√3 / 1 - 3√3 + 3√3 - 9√9

2√3 - 18 + 1 + 3√3 / 1 - 27

2√3 + 3√3 - 17 / -26

5√3 - 17 / -26

-5√3/26 + 17/26

a + b√3 = -5√3/26 + 17/26√3

a = -5√3/26

b = 17/26.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Pes13: 5:47pm On Apr 01, 2018
dannyboii1:

Please sir.. How can we Prepare for English dictionary meaning area..... Should we cram all the words and meaning with dictionary.....

I seriously have problems with dictionary words

Haaaaaaahhaaaaaaaa.

You will ware out your brain and waste your time cramming all the words in the dictionary.

UI synonym and antonyms questions are always very simple. They are not big Grammars.

You can refer to UI practice question for sample. E.g pessimistic, tyrant, optimistic, wade, avalanche, unprecedented etc.

These are samples of the simple words they asked in the past Putme.

Just practice with your jamb series adequately, and try to learn new words.

Note- No candidates can beat their chest for 100% mark in synonyms and antonyms.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Rursh(m): 7:02pm On Apr 01, 2018
Pes13:

Haaaaaaahhaaaaaaaa.

You will ware out your brain and waste your time cramming all the words in the dictionary.

UI synonym and antonyms questions are always very simple. They are not big Grammars.

You can refer to UI practice question for sample. E.g pessimistic, tyrant, optimistic, wade, avalanche, unprecedented etc.

Note- No candidates can beat their chest for 100% mark in synonyms and antonyms.

pes13 baba, you are a young man of substance. thumbs up to you

1 Like

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Aybalance: 7:05pm On Apr 01, 2018
Samsonyte:
correct bro but no2 is incorrect
Solution to no2
2√3 - 1 / 1 + 3√3 x 1 - 3√3 / 1 - 3√3
2√3 - 6√9 - 1 + 3√3 / 1 - 3√3 + 3√3 - 9√9
2√3 - 18 + 1 + 3√3 / 1 - 27
2√3 + 3√3 - 17 / -26
5√3 - 17 / -26
-5√3/26 + 17/26
a + b√3 = -5√3/26 + 17/26√3
a = -5√3/26
b = 17/26.
okay sir...I wasn't sure of where the division sign was tho...Thanks
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Aybalance: 7:11pm On Apr 01, 2018
Pes13:

Haaaaaaahhaaaaaaaa.

Bro pes 13, If I may ask,what is the answer to the david stone question...av been thinking about it all day.

1 Like

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Pes13: 7:12pm On Apr 01, 2018
Rursh:

pes13 baba, you are a young man of substance. thumbs up to you
Rursh baba, I hail thee.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Pes13: 7:14pm On Apr 01, 2018
Aybalance:
Bro pes 13, If I may ask,what is the answer to the david stone question...av been thinking about it all day.

Lolz
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Eben331: 7:24pm On Apr 01, 2018
[quote author=Pes13 post=66329785]

Thank you very much sir

1 Like

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Eben331: 7:29pm On Apr 01, 2018
[quote author=DrBESTJC post=66330883]

This is by using postivity/negativity method. You are right bro.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by midehill(m): 12:29am On Apr 02, 2018
is there any Whatsapp group for ui jambites 2018
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by kenine45: 7:14am On Apr 02, 2018
Just try us

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by IamGoke(m): 7:42am On Apr 02, 2018
Pes13:

Lolz

It is Stone!
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Aybalance: 7:44am On Apr 02, 2018
Pes13:

Lolz
bro, the answer...I dont think its David, it may be either God or stone...does anyone know the answer??
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by KingOvo(m): 8:09am On Apr 02, 2018
Hey Rursh! I've not seen you on the other side in a while. Hope you alright?
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Samsonyte(m): 8:40am On Apr 02, 2018
English
The principal, with all the teachers and students ________
A has arrived B were arriving C have arrived D were to arrive
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 9:45am On Apr 02, 2018
Samsonyte:
English

The principal, with all the teachers
and students ________

A has arrived
B were arriving
C have arrived
D were to arrive

A.

Choose the odd/wrong expression

A. I travel next week
B.I will travel next week
C.I suppose to travel next week
D. I should travel next week.

I know C is a wrong expression but is option A grammatically correct

Afoobabs
MrHistorian
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by afoobabs(m): 12:01pm On Apr 02, 2018
Hardebaryor:
A.

Choose the odd/wrong expression

A. I travel next week
B.I will travel next week
C.I suppose to travel next week
D. I should travel next week.

I know C is a wrong expression but is option A grammatically correct

Afoobabs
MrHistorian
.sir the expression is very correct grammatically. it is used to make an official pronouncements or sometimes to exercise power or authority.
its a future tense which supposed to take the modal auxiliary verb (shall) this is the reason it must be followed by present tense verb.
and if the auxiliary verb (shall) is omitted the expression is still very correct
another example.

we feast tonight,
we sail west tomorrow.

this type of expression is very common in British adventure films

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by Hardebaryor(m): 12:05pm On Apr 02, 2018
afoobabs:
.sir the expression is very correct grammatically. it is used to make an official pronouncements or sometimes to exercise power or authority.
its a future tense which supposed to take the modal auxiliary verb (shall) this is the reason it must be followed by present tense verb.

another example.

we feast tonight,
we sail west tomorrow.

I really don't know. Thank you very much
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by MrHistorian: 12:24pm On Apr 02, 2018
afoobabs:
and if the auxiliary verb (shall) is omitted the expression is still very correct
another example.

we feast tonight,
we sail west tomorrow.

Well explained.
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by KingOvo(m): 3:07pm On Apr 02, 2018
ChiomaMee:

C
Prepping up for GES? cheesy
Re: UI 2018/2019 Admission Thread by ChiomaMee: 4:32pm On Apr 02, 2018
KingOvo:
Prepping up for GES? cheesy
Yes Sir grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (191) (Reply)

Thread For PHD Students / 2018/2019 Admission Process Thread Guide / 2016/2017 UTME And Admission Process Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.