Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Man Quits His Job, Travels 31,000 Miles In A Renovated Van With His Cat [video] - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Man Quits His Job, Travels 31,000 Miles In A Renovated Van With His Cat [video] (550 Views)

Donte Franklin: White Man Gifts N23m To Nigerian Man Who Treks 17 Miles To Work / Pictures Of The Renovated Port Harcourt Airport / Wow! Newly Renovated Abuja Airport With Rooms For The Physically Challenged(pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Man Quits His Job, Travels 31,000 Miles In A Renovated Van With His Cat [video] by SageTravels: 5:57pm On Nov 21, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EKDeXTboc0

It turns out dogs aren’t the best travel companions, cats are! In 2015, a man named Rich East quit his corporate job, renovated a camper van and took off with his rescue cat, Willow. Since then, he and the friendly feline have traveled more than 50,000 kilometers (over 31,000 miles) across Australia’s six states and two territories, venturing down many of the country’s lesser-trekked paths.

Rich explains on his blog Van Cat Meow, “In early 2014 I started making plans for a massive life change. Unhappy with my 10 years in the corporate world I started designing a new life for myself. I started designing a campervan that could provide me with shelter, a home, and comfort for this next stage of my life. Slowly I began to sell all my possessions such that what was left would fit in this van.”

In 2015, he was ready to go. “I sold my house, all of my possessions, and quit my job so I could take the trip of a lifetime,” he explained. “But one thing I couldn’t say goodbye [to] was this little cat so the obvious decision was to take her with me.” Their deep bond is evident in the travel photography East uploads to Instagram.

According to East, there are some distinct advantages to traveling with a cat, rather than a dog. He said, “I may be biased but I believe travelling with a cat is easier than travelling with dogs. Cats are very independent and don’t require a huge amount of attention. Willow is quite nocturnal, sleeping throughout the day if we are driving and coming out in the afternoon for some food and a cuddle.”

He added, “The only disadvantage to having a travelling cat is not being able to go into the occasional area where pets aren’t permitted. We avoid the National Parks to find our own hidden places that maybe we wouldn’t have found otherwise.”

While most cats aren’t suited for nomadic living, Willow is the exception. “Some people think it’s odd that I’m traveling with a cat, but Willow is so chilled out and absolutely loves our new lifestyle,” East said. For her protection, the feline wears a special collar that tracks her location. “With the tracking collar, I have the peace of mind that if she decides to go for a hike I will be straight onto her,” he said.

Though the pair’s trip concluded in early 2017, neither East or Willow have plans to stop traveling. East continues chronicling their adventures on Instagram and even compiled some of the best travel shots into a 2018 calendar that is now available for sale in the Van Cat meow online shop.

https://inhabitat.com/man-quits-his-job-travels-31000-miles-in-a-renovated-van-with-his-cat-video/

Re: Man Quits His Job, Travels 31,000 Miles In A Renovated Van With His Cat [video] by SageTravels: 6:02pm On Nov 21, 2017
More Justwise mynd44 seun Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Fellow Nigerians Sold Us In Libya-rescued Nigerian / Help / 100 Plus Countries That Require A Yellow Card For International Travel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.