Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? (28767 Views)

What Future Tech Do You Think Would Samsung Introduce In Galaxy Note 11? / Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X Review 1 Year Later - Should You Buy It In 2018? / Latest Trending:9mobile Is Offering Data Bonus #200/1GB And #1000/5GB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by xreal: 7:53am On Nov 25, 2017
Airtel Nigeria came to my mind even before I checked the list.

May the company that will favour the masses win the bid.
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 25, 2017
I thought Dangote said he can't venture into telecom because its not his area of expertise.

3 Likes

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by otivere: 7:54am On Nov 25, 2017
I prefer Smile to get it

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Rhesusmonkey(m): 7:55am On Nov 25, 2017
AnodaIT:
Dangote is picking this one as far as Naija is concerned
I tot dangote says he is nt interested in telecomunication so hw com he is showing interest, he shud kukuma buy the whole of Nigeria. he just delved into road construction and i can see how wonderfully confused his company is as they handle the 2km Apapa wharf road.
You cant just be a jack of all trades and still master them all.
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by GoldNiagara(m): 7:55am On Nov 25, 2017
Where are the loud mouthed developers. I thought they Should be climbing over one another to bid here. Real developers are the ones budding here. Anyway why am I surprised, they do not have the capacity for this kind of business, it does not involves trading second hand wares.

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by GoldNiagara(m): 7:56am On Nov 25, 2017
sacluxisback:
I thought Dangote said he can't venture into telecom because its npt his area of expertise.

He can buy it and seller at higher price! That is business.

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 25, 2017
If dangote gets it.... Am sure MTN, AIRTEL and glo will have to buckle there belt cos the monopoly will be fierce.
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by zoedew: 7:59am On Nov 25, 2017
kingsamm:

I believe, if Glo wins they could utilize 9mobile's existing tech to improve their network quality

It appears you missed the point. GLOslow downloads is not about technology issues as it is about the corporate goals, practice and culture of the brand. Until The Bull signs The Cheque cell sites in need of maintainance stay dead and that chiefly is responsible for the poor QOS GLO is known for.

3 Likes

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Sanchez01: 8:00am On Nov 25, 2017
Reference:
I prefer the Dangote Group. First, indigenous. Second, he has become an international player and operates fluidly in the consumer goods sector. Most importantly he knows the values of business and will surely pursue aggressive growth strategies that will ultimately keep his competition and the industry on its toes. The sector will become as virile as an influenza outbreak. There's too much laxity in it and statemated skirmishes. No one has done anything big since 2002. Trust Dangote to ignite fierce competition.

Globacom and Airtel should be barred naturally for anti-trust or competition reasons. We donot want an artificial monopoly created for no values whatsoever and both donot have the kind of desirable services for any right thinking person to support their bids. The bigger they get, the more sluggish they will become. We need a low level civil war in that industry.

The others may just become like the power sector operators, unknown quatities before and proven invalids after.
Under what act should the emboldened be enacted?

There has never been a policy guarding against companies creating same brands as what they are known for.

Guinness produces Malta Guinness but still went ahead to produce Dubic another brand of malt. Do they in any way distort the market then? No.

The telco sector is for aggressive folks and not those who are just learning to walk. Dangote would definitely not be the best option considering the fact that whoever would end up buying the company in question would inject millions of Dollars into the business, including borrowing to pay staff for almost 6 months before ROI.

Monopoly is unhealthy but the best manager here would be an existing carrier.

4 Likes

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by obatoro: 8:00am On Nov 25, 2017
Glo should just not move near so that they will not turn it to GloGo slow for us.

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by HomeOfMe(f): 8:00am On Nov 25, 2017
kingsamm:
9mobile is currently up for sale after the initial saga that led them into changing names from Etisalat to 9mobile. The scramble to acquire 9mobile, Nigeria’s fourth largest network operator, has advanced to the next stage.

10 bidders are left out of the 16 who expressed interest in the purchase. And the highest bidder will acquire 9mobile.

Here is a List of The 10 bidders of 9mobile

1. Globacom Nigeria Limited, Nigeria’s second largest network operator
2. Airtel Nigeria
3. Dangote Group’s telecoms business unit
4. Alheri Engineering Limited
5. Smile Telecoms Holdings
6. Centricus Capital and Africell
7. Abraaj Capital (Based in Dubai)
8. Teleology Holdings Limited
9. The Carlyle Group
10. Africa Capital Alliance (ACA)

The 10 firms above have been pre-qualified to submit their financial bids for the acquisition of 9mobile, this will be the final process through which a winner with the highest bid submitted for 9mobile, will emerge.

9mobile, formerly Etisalat Nigeria, was put on the block early this year after it defaulted on a $1.2 billion loan from a consortium of 13 Nigerian banks. Etisalat Group the mother company in Abu Dhabi backed out leaving its Nigeria arm of business to its own fate, to survive on a new name.

The question is, who do you think should acquire 9mobile among the 10 bidders?

Source - http://www.naijatechs.com/2017/11/9mobile-is-up-for-sale.html
No Nigerian should buy it,it will get worse-except for may be Dangote.
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by dingbang(m): 8:01am On Nov 25, 2017
Airtel should be awarded...

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by zoedew: 8:03am On Nov 25, 2017
dumo1:
I hope Airtel or Glo wins it. It affords them the ability to expand and take out MTN. May the best man win.

Take out MTN! What next? Ideal corporate goals in M&A is not about taking out the competition as it is about providing better value for shareholders in quantum measures driven by constant improvements in QOS.

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by nickxtra(m): 8:06am On Nov 25, 2017
Hushpuppi:
This is news.. I hope the most efficient win ...
I think they should just hand it over to Dangote

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by awuf2008: 8:07am On Nov 25, 2017
None of
my business.
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Benwems(m): 8:08am On Nov 25, 2017
I thought Vodafone and Orange wanted to buy them. I really hope a standard foreign company with good reputation buys them.

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by lsoul: 8:08am On Nov 25, 2017
ACA, will acquire it, quote me any where
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Grundig: 8:13am On Nov 25, 2017
Is nigeria cursed? Why don't we ever get industry big players in nigeria? Where is T mobile, Vodafone, O2? Why do we always have to settle for these mushroom investors all the time?

I don tire jare

4 Likes

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by dee02(m): 8:13am On Nov 25, 2017
Jejosan:
I wish GLOBACOM wins the bid because it will improve their network strength and for the good of Glo users.efficient use of data

Network strength yea, because it is consolidation but in terms of efficient service delivery, not necessarily.
Globacom has got to do a lot of work in terms of the services it currently offers, taking on more could spell doom.

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by zoedew: 8:13am On Nov 25, 2017
lelvin:
I'd love to acquire and transform the company.

The bid process will wait forever for you to fall in love!
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by HustMelo: 8:21am On Nov 25, 2017
Smile Telecoms Holdings (Subscriber growth will be recorded)..... I think this is a good analysis.

I have used Smile modem and it really made sense
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Deeldorado: 8:32am On Nov 25, 2017
chymer:

But Dangote does not engage in competitive businesses, he thrieves in monopoly.

If he wins the bid, in three years other telcos, would have been frustrated out of business.

That will be when the difference would be clear.

It's a well-regulated industry. Not one where monopoly can thrive.
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by nobilie: 8:33am On Nov 25, 2017
Benekruku:

Stop dreaming!

MTN is unshakeable as at where it stands today. Even a merger of all other telecom company wont shake it.

Lol. Little do you know about Telecoms in Nig. The small Etisalat was a big challenge to MTN before it was miss managed.
MTN was learning from Eti in product development and subscriber management.
It's the greedy Nigerian directors and it's chairman that used Jimoh Ibrahim's formulae on the company. Same thing they did to UBA if not that the bank is very strong.
Same has happened to Evans pharmaceuticals, Aero, virgin Nigeria,

For your info, MTN has above 55M subscriber base, Glo 37-42M Airtel 26-28M while Eti has dropped 20M and less.
When Airtel had 23M, Eti was managing over 21M and MTN was 45M and had the highest port-out rate with their subs moving to 0809ja. If that trend had continued by now, Eti would have been around 32M sub and Airtel 27M, Glo 36M, MTN not more than 50M sub.
Eti at a time had the highest average revenue per sub.

Never say never in Business. If bank PHB that saw that one day, cars will run on water(as claimed in their advert) but couldn't see that they'll be acquired by another bank. Union bank (Big Strong Reliable) could not even beat small STB (that merged with UBA) in terms of innovation and branding or GTB.

The leaders of this country are part of our problem so, they can't help us.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by NSNA: 8:33am On Nov 25, 2017
Dangote is best option to bring competition. The Dangote brand will do well.
Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by realhumanity: 8:33am On Nov 25, 2017
Glo and dangote must not buy this network or kill it altogether. Most people commenting here are not in the telecom world. You guys are just making statement because you subscribe MB every month.

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by realhumanity: 8:35am On Nov 25, 2017
nobilie:

Lol. Little do you know about Telecoms in Nig. The small Etisalat was a big challenge to MTN before it was miss managed.
MTN was learning from Eti in product development and subscriber management.
It's the greedy Nigerian directors and it's chairman that used Jimoh Ibrahim's formulae on the company. Same thing they did to UBA if not that the bank is very strong.
Same has happened to Evans pharmaceuticals, Aero, virgin Nigeria,

The guy is right, no telecom company can oust MTN in the interim. They are more coordinated than the rest. Their facilities and upgrade plan are always first and quality. The rest are mere copycats.

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by onegig(m): 8:38am On Nov 25, 2017
[sup][/sup]
deepwater:
Lol

You have no idea how Dangote works.
Until u explain to me how a giant in pasta was frustrated in noodles market he had to sell the plant and run with his brief case of money and tails between his legs, he literally scampered for safety in the noodles market where monopoly is not a word there.

That being said, history teaches man nothing.
As history is about to repeat it self again
He shall win the bid, for qualifying the technical ITT, the commercials is a walk over the block. But what happens thereafter, the real investors behind the mask (Dangote) would start forcing incompetent mallams and ajiyas to head sensitive positions because Na my brother get am. The gurus in the market from other operators like MTN et al would use that loop hole to flog them out of business like the noodles and tomato paste saga.

The best bet would have been to give Smile communications this stuff, they are doing well presently.

Just like how they took Gaddafi outa Libya and it never remained the same same goes to etisalat

Etisalat, a company that made many Nigerians became millionaires even before erecting 40 % of their mast.

The TSA policy kept the banks under mad pressure NOT etisalat

And how did Dangote force a pasta maker out the market? Till today, Indomie , Honeywell have almost total market share of the pasta and noodles market. So what are you saying sef?

You guys just follow stereotypes and run with it. Till today, Portland is still growing strong, same with Unicem and even AshakaCem.

So where's all these monopolies we hear about come from?

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by colossus91(m): 8:42am On Nov 25, 2017
chai so they screened me out of the bid it's Ok grin

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by deepwater(f): 8:48am On Nov 25, 2017
onegig:
[sup][/sup]

And how did Dangote force a pasta maker out the market? Till today, Indomie , Honeywell have almost total market share of the pasta and noodles market. So what are you saying sef?

You guys just follow stereotypes and run with it. Till today, Portland is still growing strong, same with Unicem and even AshakaCem.

So where's all these monopolies we hear about come from?

Honestly you are on 1GB

Read my post again, this time slowly
At your age, you lack comprehensive skills

2 Likes

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:53am On Nov 25, 2017
AlexCk:
Dangote.

Or maybe Seun Osewa, or Lala
is 9mobile installing snake logo on dia masts?

my broda repent!

3 Likes

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 25, 2017
kingsamm:
9mobile is currently up for sale after the initial saga that led them into changing names from Etisalat to 9mobile. The scramble to acquire 9mobile, Nigeria’s fourth largest network operator, has advanced to the next stage.

10 bidders are left out of the 16 who expressed interest in the purchase. And the highest bidder will acquire 9mobile.

Here is a List of The 10 bidders of 9mobile

1. Globacom Nigeria Limited, Nigeria’s second largest network operator
2. Airtel Nigeria
3. Dangote Group’s telecoms business unit
4. Alheri Engineering Limited
5. Smile Telecoms Holdings
6. Centricus Capital and Africell
7. Abraaj Capital (Based in Dubai)
8. Teleology Holdings Limited
9. The Carlyle Group
10. Africa Capital Alliance (ACA)

The 10 firms above have been pre-qualified to submit their financial bids for the acquisition of 9mobile, this will be the final process through which a winner with the highest bid submitted for 9mobile, will emerge.

9mobile, formerly Etisalat Nigeria, was put on the block early this year after it defaulted on a $1.2 billion loan from a consortium of 13 Nigerian banks. Etisalat Group the mother company in Abu Dhabi backed out leaving its Nigeria arm of business to its own fate, to survive on a new name.

The question is, who do you think should acquire 9mobile among the 10 bidders?

Source - http://www.naijatechs.com/2017/11/9mobile-is-up-for-sale.html

Dangote is about to throw away his money grin grin grin.

FG should be smart about this. FG should allow Airtel and Glo to share Etisalat 50/50. That way they both can compete with MTN

1 Like

Re: 9mobile Is Up For Sale - Who Do You Think Would Buy It? by Samusu(m): 8:54am On Nov 25, 2017
sorextee:
Dey go still sack workers again, after d last one dey did last month..
yhu were part of it also? My brother was involved. Told me that about 200 were sacked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

11 Hilarious Ways The Internet Reacted To The Iphone 7 Release / Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. / How To Deal With Unwanted Phone Calls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.