Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,259 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:55 AM

Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? (15220 Views)

Who Owns The Breasts? Is It The Father, The Mother Or The Baby? / Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / He Got My Sister Pregnant, Rejected It, Now He Wants The Child 16 Years After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 8:31am On Nov 24, 2017
wwwmaster:
The man that paid her bride price owns the child according to Igbo tradition.

Then that aspect of Igbo tradition is incongruous because it neglects & fails to honour the child's best interest. cool
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by Michymi: 8:33am On Nov 24, 2017
By law the stupid boy unfortunately remains the father of the child, but that does not mean he will automatically get custody rights. On this particular case even if they go to court, the court will most likely uphold his right as the father of the child but custody will definitely remain with the mother especially with the stupid error of denying the pregnancy. Unless he can bring serious mega evidence to the unfitness of the girl or her husband as parent/guardian which i doubt he can prove or the court sef will take seriously. The best i see right now is visitation rights.

3 Likes

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by cooljoe(m): 8:34am On Nov 24, 2017
[quote author=nkwuocha1 post=62654778][/quote]even if they were all igbos, a custom that is repugnant cannot hold. the father of the child will get his child, his hitherto indifference not withstanding

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by wwwmaster: 8:38am On Nov 24, 2017
omooba969:

Then that aspect of Igbo tradition is incongruous because it neglects & fails to honour the child's best interest. cool
The child's best interest you say? If a man have the child's best interest why not marry the mother after impregnating her?

Let's observe the two men above
* The one that denied the woman he impregnated
And
* The one that accepted another man's pregnancy with promise to charter for them without any grudge.
Who do you think have the child's interest at heart?

5 Likes

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 8:39am On Nov 24, 2017
elninosanz:
Legally, if the biological father can prove via DNA test that the boy is his, then he is the Legal Father. However, if the step-father had legally adopted the boy then the biological father had no claim to him. The mistake people make is not going through the legal adoption process. When the biological father comes for their children, they almost always win in court

Adoption takes place if...

1. There's an absent parent;
2. The child is willingly given up for adoption or
3. Parents abrogate their parental responsibilities...to mention but a few.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by wwwmaster: 8:40am On Nov 24, 2017
cooljoe:
even if they were all igbos, a custom that is repugnant cannot hold. the father of the child will get his child, his hitherto indifference not withstanding
Which Igbo tradition are you talking about? Father of a child you did not pay the mothers bride price?
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 8:42am On Nov 24, 2017
castrol180:
iPod or iPob tradition or culture get a lot of coma self...even legitimate daughters don't have shares in their parents properties or belongings after death.

Their culture and traditions tire me sef. I wonder why they refuse to modify some aspects of their repugnant palaver. undecided

1 Like

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2017
Adeoba10:
I don't know whats wrong with some men and all these slay queen. What about if the lady has aborted the fetus then, will he be asking for any child now..... So after dodging his responsibility to pay natal and anti natal fee, he's now coming forward to claim his child.... In order no to jeopardize the innocent boy future, let them hasten with the boy travelling processing and take him out of the country....

If all parties can work amicably in the child's best interest, it will be laudable because the child needs a secure future as per relocating to Europe.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 24, 2017
nkwuocha1:

This was my argument, but my parents shut me off.They insisted the real father has no rights whatsoever on the child.
Lol, your parents were judging the situation morally and probably following their culture but according to the law(customary law), a barbarous culture won't be enforceable and if the court will ever consider their assertions, then their cultural belief must not be repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience, and such belief must not be incompatible either directly or by implication with any law for the time being in force. I think the girl can still win the case. If the child was still a baby, the girl should premise on the fact that she has to own the custody of the child so she could give adequate care to the baby.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 8:52am On Nov 24, 2017
wwwmaster:

The child's nest interest you say? If a man have the child's best interest why not marry the mother after impregnating her?

Let's observe the two men above
* The one that denied the woman he impregnated
And
* The one that accepted another man's pregnancy with promise to charter for them without any grudge.
Who do you think have the child's interest at heart?

As it is, it's not about the two men or the mother, it's about the innocent child. I would expect the Nigerian law to grant the mother custody right and all parties to work out contact between the paternal father and the child.

The child needs his father regardless. I appreciate emotions run riot in this kind of case.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by sarutobie(m): 8:53am On Nov 24, 2017
WrathOfHadez:
Most customs are unknown to law! And in law, marrying a mother and pregnant woman doesn’t make you a father of the child.

And we must remember that while a court of law may acknowledge the biological father as responsible for the pregnancy , it may still deny him custody. Especially in the light of his irresponsibility. Still no law will grant the husband father status.

So there are two things involved here: Custody of the child and paternity status.
Fallacy, why then do we have magistrate And customary courts??
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 8:55am On Nov 24, 2017
DaudaAbu:

which One be real father here. The pregnancy that he has denied?

And if the lady too can jst change her story ajd say its a mistake he is not the real father she jst wanted to tie him down before, then that is all

Lies may go for years but just one day the truth will catch up.

Lies do not hold, it will only damage the child when he/she is old enough to process & understand things.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 8:56am On Nov 24, 2017
CakezbyMarie:
Yes! He denied her, right now he has no right whatsoever another man has paid for the total package..

Barawo!
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 9:00am On Nov 24, 2017
category:
There is no law here. Law is based on evidence. On what ground are you (biological father) claiming the child.
1) You had earlier denied responsibility for the pregnancy
2) You paid no dowry
3) There was no registration of marriage (marriage registry)
However, the foster father took responsibility of the pregnancy (even though he was not responsible), paid the dowry and i suppose, also married the lady properly (registry/church).
Remember that in extreme circumstances, in some marriages, a man may agree for another man to father his own children (that can be a contract).
So whosoever consummated a proper marriage is the father of the child.

Disclaimer
My opinion though!!!

You're entitled to your opinion indeed but it doesn't hold. Need I say, I appreciate your sentiment. cool
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by wwwmaster: 9:02am On Nov 24, 2017
omooba969:

As it is, it's not about the two men or the mother, it's about the innocent child. I would expect the Nigerian law to grant the mother custody right and all parties to work out contact between the paternal father and the child.

The child needs his father regardless. I appreciate emotions run riot in this kind of case.

Seems like you are in America. This is Africa, a man cannot totally take responsibility of a child that is bearing the name of another man (that impregnated his wife). The contention here is not whom will have custody or take responsibility but whose child.
The biological father is well established but it doesn't automatically made him the father.

In Igboland, a lot of unmarried pregnant ladies get married to another man, deliver the child in the man's house and the child automatically becomes of the family.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 9:06am On Nov 24, 2017
elninosanz:

True. That's why i said the biological father almost always wins in court. However, the woman could have gotten that signed document from the biological father if she had taken the document to him at the time he was originally denying that he was the father. Most times, the guys just want to extricate themselves from an untenable situation and they will be willing to sign anything. A recorded tape of him denying paternity may also work IF she has a very good lawyer.

Even if he was evidently recorded denying the pregnancy, the revered court will still make effort to establish the paternity.

Need I say, the court only work with facts/concrete evidence & not beer parlour gists. cool
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by bekpo(m): 9:07am On Nov 24, 2017
ibkn:
if the Son can prove paternity he is entitled to access and custody. a custom will not be repugnant to natural justice

Yes that's the position of the law. But proving paternity will b d order of court, otherwise the lady may be quite unwilling (and u cant compell her against her will) to submit herself and child for the DNA, except ordered by a competent court to so do. The proper thing to do in d circumstance is for him to approach the court. For the custom, i disagree wid u, the custom itself is repugnant to natural justice equity and good conscience.

1 Like

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by donqx: 9:08am On Nov 24, 2017
oh
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by MamaOO: 9:10am On Nov 24, 2017
wwwmaster:

Seems like you are in America. This is Africa, a man cannot totally take responsibility of a child that is bearing the name of another man (that impregnated his wife). The contention here is not whom will have custody or take responsibility but whose child.
The biological father is well established but it doesn't automatically made him the father.

In Igboland, a lot of unmarried pregnant ladies get married to another man, deliver the child in the man's house and the child automatically becomes of the family.
Thanks.
Even in America, if you don’t establish paternity within 2years, the law doesn’t recognize you as the father, even if DNA proves that you indeed gathered the kid.

The family of the baby Daddy better pray that the girl does not leave Nigeria. Cos if she does... e don be be that. Who do you get someone who is not in the country to subject a child to DNA test? She cannot be forcefully dragged to Nigeria if she’s out of the country. If they go to court to seek an injunction, we know the snail speed of court proceedings in Nigeria and we also know how hard it is to enforce court judgments.

That should also teach men who shirk their responsibilities after getting women pregnant a lesson. Last last, accept the pregnancy, accept responsibility to save you and your family from this kind of messy situation. The parents of the man that are even running upandan should have taught their son how to man up and own up to mistakes, this would have been avoided. #IssaMess cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by billyG(m): 9:16am On Nov 24, 2017
nkwuocha1:

This was my argument, but my parents shut me off.They insisted the real father has no rights whatsoever on the child.
if she was preg b4 marriage d child will b claimed by d inlaw,unless he do some ceremony 2 adopt d child.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 9:25am On Nov 24, 2017
wwwmaster:

Thanks.

This is not about what's obtainable in Igbo land, it's about what the law states.

I hope you can climb down your high horse. cool
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by nkwuocha1: 9:27am On Nov 24, 2017
billyG:

if she was preg b4 marriage d child will b claimed by d inlaw,unless he do some ceremony 2 adopt d child.

She was almost 5months gone when the traditional rites took place according to sources. The preggy was visible and a lot of people thought the child actually belongs to the husband. The whole thing blew out of proportion when she put to bed and exposed the child to social media.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by Kobicove(m): 9:30am On Nov 24, 2017
The fact that the real father shirked responsibility does not erase the back that he is the biological father
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by nkwuocha1: 9:31am On Nov 24, 2017
Michymi:
By law the stupid boy unfortunately remains the father of the child, but that does not mean he will automatically get custody rights. On this particular case even if they go to court, the court will most likely uphold his right as the father of the child but custody will definitely remain with the mother especially with the stupid error of denying the pregnancy. Unless he can bring serious mega evidence to the unfitness of the girl or her husband as parent/guardian which i doubt he can prove or the court sef will take seriously. The best i see right now is visitation rights.

Even the visiting rights is almost impossible even if the court grants it. In few days the child will leave the shores of Nigeria. Guess the Yoruba husband is also prepared to give whoever stands on his way a tougher dose.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by lightinchrist4: 9:47am On Nov 24, 2017
nkwuocha1:
Recently had a light chat with my mom.In the course of the discussion, we swerved to talks about culture as regards paternity of kid(s).That's when she revealed a current paternity case currently going on with one of her good friend.

The son of this woman had pregnanted a young girl(23 years??) and denied the pregnancy. In fact, he first advice she aborts the baby,unfortunately her aunt was quick to notice all the preggy symptoms of the niece under her care.

The young man was called to know what's to be done about the pregnancy, which he denied outright.

Fast forward few months later,the aunt who owns a clothe line had an encounter with a customer from the west who asked after the niece(guess he had eyes on her too), only to be told she is carrying unwanted pregnancy.

To cut the stories short,he married her with the pregnancy shocked shocked.All the rites paid and settled.

Now here is the issue,prior to getting married to the girl,the father of the girl explained he now has the right as a father to the unborn child by culture.

Now,my moms friend just find out through her son that he has a love child outside,a son.There's a serious legal battle to claim the child.The family has vowed to take bavk the child by all means possible.The father of the girl alerted his son in law about the development, and he has secretly made preparations to jet his now pregnant Igbo wife and "his" child out of the country to join him permanently in Europe.The son bears his name too.

Who wins this battle?

Culture or legal law?

Culture! When you have a rich foundational culture and foundation in God, you will definitely obey the law.
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by wwwmaster: 9:48am On Nov 24, 2017
omooba969:

This is not about what's obtainable in Igbo land, it's about what the law states.

I hope you can climb down your high horse. cool

I really don't know the law of Nigeria on this. Does it grant paternity to a man that rejected a woman he impregnated?
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 9:53am On Nov 24, 2017
glosplendid:
In Anambra....if you have a love child outside...without doing the proper traditional rites..you ain't entitled to the child...the child belongs to the father of the girl until she is married to another person then he/she will now belong to the girl's hubby....

Thank God you mentioned Anambragrin, headquarters of land grabbers.

Task your brain dear, it's good for your evolution. cool
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 9:55am On Nov 24, 2017
wwwmaster:

I really don't know the law of Nigeria on this. Does it grant paternity to a man that rejected a woman he impregnated?

The woman/pregnancy could be rejected but the question is...'is he rejecting his child?'
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by omooba969(m): 9:56am On Nov 24, 2017
revolt:
what ardant nonsensical talk.....yes the guy was culpable but do you know what a step dad can do when Hus biological child is born? There's a strong possibility hell favour his when the chips are down. Why fight for another child that doesn't belong to you when the real dad wants the child?!!! I'm not understanding sha

Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by glosplendid(f): 10:00am On Nov 24, 2017
omooba969:

Thank God you mentioned Anambragrin, headquarters of land grabbers.

Task your brain dear, it's good for your evolution. cool
okay
Re: Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? by donbenie(m): 10:04am On Nov 24, 2017
naijaboiy:

[b]That is the tradition in the place you come from. But the courts will not be bound by local customs especially when it's repugnant to natural justice.

In my opinion the major case at hand should be who would get custody and not who is the real father. The identity of the real father is not far fetched, denying a child does not terminate the fact that the child is yours.

The only time when such actions will come against the supposed boy is when it comes to the custody of the child and if the family of the girl can prove that the boy is not responsible enough to cater for the child then her husband to be can be made a guardian.

Often times things like this are very difficult to prove. So the fact that the other man has paid bride price does not amount to anything in court, he’s only performing marriage rites and activities which has no connection with the child at hand.

And in my opinion it would be a crime for him to take the wife and unborn child away when he has no legal custody of the child yet. He won’t go to Europe and tell the authorities that he paid the bride price for his wife and the culture automatically allowed him to have the child, what they would need is legal proof that he has custody of the child not payment of bride price.
[/b]
We live in Nigeria /World,if the man jets out with the Mother who he is legally married to,I doubt the authorities there will care less who the biological father of the child is..unless the guy will go out there to start contesting it and remember those people are most likely going to rule in favor of the woman keeping custody of a child as is their norm..
So,the boy has his own tradition against him and also the Oyibo man's law will not give him priority to the child over the Mum and so realistically his chances of getting custody of that child is highly limited..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's Your Childish Trait? / Name 5 Things You Did As A Child During Christmas Period? / No Matter How Far You Have Gone The Wrong Path, You Can Always Turn Around

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.